forum

Swapping Mouse&KB to Tablet&KB

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Echo ]_old
This probably has been posted many times but bare with me T^T (and sorry for my horrible English)

I swapped to tablet and keyboard just today(literally right now as I post this thread) and I cannot even pass 2 star songs ;(((
Is this normal? If so how long would it take for me to get back to my normal state?(like my skill level when I was using mouse&KB)

(also not to mention that I am left handed so I have to use the tablet with my left hand and tap z and x with my right hand which I am totally not comfortable with)
darkmiz
what's your tablet settings? active area?
Topic Starter
[ Echo ]_old

completely new to this thing
Rewben2
Make it bigger. Having it that small will hinder your ability to play in the long run.
[ Katsu ]
I use my pen in my left hand to :) You'll get used to it in no time at all if you get used to it. By the sounds of your post you use a mouse with your right hand though? (traitor). It may take a little longer to adjust if this is the case.

Rewben2 wrote:

Make it bigger. Having it that small will hinder your ability to play in the long run.
This isn't true. It is perfectly possible to be just as good with a tiny area, it is a matter of preference. That aside, personally I started with a tablet area very similar to this one and it really helped me get used to using the pen initially. I now use a much bigger area after increasing it over time.

I found starting small and making it larger much better than the highly preached opposite approach of starting with a confidence shattering full tablet area.

In the end it is totally down to personal preference, play the game how you like! Hope this helped some :)
Blueprint
Avoiding the question , you know you can change that Z X I find the num pad keys are easier to tap
iderekmc
LOL xD that area
iderekmc
LOL xD that area is too small
deletemyaccount
You said it yourself; you just swapped from mouse to tablet, don't worry it's perfectly normal to struggle at first but you will get used to it. Although many people will say to do this or that with settings, just use what you find most comfortable. With active areas, people all have different resolutions so again just pick one that suits you. Don't forget you can turn on force proportions if you have a widescreen monitor.
Pizzicato

[ Echo ] wrote:

If so how long would it take for me to get back to my normal state?
in about a week or 2
Myke B
Try starting with full area, and making it smaller in the future if you still want to (that's what I did). You also shouldn't expect to be as good with a tool you've used for a day compared to a tool you've almost used for almost an infinite amount more.
ElykColdster

[ Echo ] wrote:

If so how long would it take for me to get back to my normal state?(like my skill level when I was using mouse&KB)
I used the smallest active area at first and it took maybe a day or two of good practice to get used to and even exceed my previous performance. Watch some replays, find out if you're overshooting your cursor or not. Sometimes people just need a larger area but if you're comfortable with your current settings that's all that matters.

(also not to mention that I am left handed so I have to use the tablet with my left hand and tap z and x with my right hand which I am totally not comfortable with)
You can try reassigning your hotkeys to the ones on the right side of the keyboard.
Lolzy
It took me over a week to get used to the tablet, what helped me was playing in windowed 1024x768 instead of 1440x900 fullscreen (19' screen) with full area
sunumi
Just use full area, I don't know why so many people use small area. Also, for some people it can take up to two weeks to get used to their tablet (like me). It will be really frustrating to play with full area at first but don't worry you will get used to it.

TakuMii
@Anyone advising to use full area: keep in mind that OP is using an Intuos Pro Medium, which is quite a bit bigger than a standard Bamboo. Full area would probably be too big.

That being said, I think that area is still quite a bit small. Try to make your area the biggest area that allows you to comfortably reach all four sides of the screen. If you want to match the full area of a smaller tablet (which is what a lot of people will recommend), it should be around 60-70% of the full area of your tablet. And make sure to stick to one area once you've decided what you're going to use, as changing it frequently can only cause problems with your muscle memory. Force Proportions should also stay on, just to make your movement more consistent.
By the way, I'm a left-handed player too. I'd suggest remapping your keys to something on the right side of the keyboard to make it more comfortable to press. I personally just slide my keyboard over and use the [ and ] keys.
sunumi

YayMii wrote:

@Anyone advising to use full area: keep in mind that OP is using an Intuos Pro Medium, which is quite a bit bigger than a standard Bamboo. Full area would probably be too big.

That being said, I think that area is still quite a bit small. Try to make your area the biggest area that allows you to comfortably reach all four sides of the screen. If you want to match the full area of a smaller tablet (which is what a lot of people will recommend), it should be around 60-70% of the full area of your tablet. And make sure to stick to one area once you've decided what you're going to use, as changing it frequently can only cause problems with your muscle memory. Force Proportions should also stay on, just to make your movement more consistent.
By the way, I'm a left-handed player too. I'd suggest remapping your keys to something on the right side of the keyboard to make it more comfortable to press. I personally just slide my keyboard over and use the [ and ] keys.

I also use the intuos medium. The full area is not too big at all.
proFiCiENT
Hey, I just recently changed from using a mouse + keyboard to using a tablet (intuos pen (small)) + kb and my accuracy got up quickly even though my combo suffered a bit. After 2 days or so, i find that my skill level increased in jump songs whereas I felt like i played on the same level in other songs.
My play style with tablet is that i move my wrist only(same with mouse) as well as hovering inatead of touching the tablet.
From playing around with the settings for around a week, i found out that using a TINY tablet area works best personally after trying both a large and small tablet area.
The dimensions are 3000x3000 (not sure if this value is different on other tablets though). I'd take a screenshot but im on my phone right now. If you want i could take a picture m
DISCLAIMER: im not a pro osu player and these are based of playing medium-harder insane songs
Aphya
Since you recently made a switch in equipment, you are obviously going to be a bit uncomfortable at first, but you'll get used to it. Adjust your tablet area to one that fits you either bigger or smaller and ignore others that give recommendation from their experience. Everyone is different. You may also adjust the X and Y key. Thinking about it, the tablet and the X / Y keys seem close so you're arms may be in a weird position, but if you are comfortable with the default settings, then don't bother. Also take into consideration of you want to hover with the pen. Some find hovering easier, others seem to do better with the pen actually on the tablet with f10.

Generally, there is no time set for one to get used to something, give it time, maybe 1-2 weeks. Remember, practice makes perfect.
TakuMii

irclyna wrote:

I'd like to see someone beating Airman with that big of an area then... you can't do cross-screen jumps like that without moving your arm, and that would only make precise aiming more difficult.
(if you're talking about playing windowed, then that doesn't count since you're still technically making the area smaller)
Soulg

YayMii wrote:

irclyna wrote:

I'd like to see someone beating Airman with that big of an area then... you can't do cross-screen jumps like that without moving your arm, and that would only make precise aiming more difficult.
(if you're talking about playing windowed, then that doesn't count since you're still technically making the area smaller)
i drag... i could probably pass it on fullscreen
RaneFire
The full-screen side-to-side jumps aren't enough to fail you though. Your fingers holding the pen also allow for far more vertical movement by comparison so the rest of the map is reasonably fine. Airman is a good example, so long as you stipulate "hitting" the side-to-side jumps, because passing it isn't that big of a deal.
Soulg
Got the CTL-471 and the surface has 1000x more friction than my old one... so i feel like i just switched from mouse to tablet because im trying to start hovering

side to side is much harder than up/down
sunumi

YayMii wrote:

irclyna wrote:

I do play fullscreen, I drag my hand, but I hover the pen. I wear a sock with the top cut off to minimize friction
Myke B
I also shave all the hair on my body to maximize aerodynamics so that my pen glides more smoothly
show more