forum

Retry*2000

posted
Total Posts
show more
NotCookie_old
Having a bad start on a song just doesn't feel right. I'd rather restart and get off to a clean start, with 'acceptable' accuracy/combo.
Xyrax Alaria
For me, my telltale rule is: 'If I instantly miss a note from the get go, then I am bound to miss more." And this is true for myself most of time, so I will retry a lot of maps over and over again until I get a good starts to help give myself a better play for the rest of the map.
lolcubes
They are probably getting a miss or a 100 and quickly retrying.
Since the spectator has some delay, it just didn't get to that point where the player got a 100 or a miss.
That's why it looks like someone is grinding the beginning.
GenoClysm

NotCookie wrote:

Having a bad start on a song just doesn't feel right. I'd rather restart and get off to a clean start, with 'acceptable' accuracy/combo.
Yeah, this is the reason i do it. For some reason i hate to have a bad start.
silmarilen
imagine getting that 100 at the start, and then SSing the rest of the map, wouldnt that make you feel horrible?
even if you know you're not going to SS the map, every 100 you get at the start is a 100 you can avoid by just retrying it.
zork787
lemmie think, missing at the start, getting a 100 at the start, getting a stream of nothing but 50's or 100's, missing because of my cursor's hitbox missing the beat by a few pixels at any point, and that's just a few
Myke B
oooh, if you're talking about spectator mode, then lolcubes is spot on. I wondered this at first like: "why the hell are they spam restarting when no notes even came?" or something like that.
Topic Starter
nooblet

NotCookie wrote:

Xyrax Alaria wrote:

For me, my telltale rule is: 'If I instantly miss a note from the get go, then I am bound to miss more." And this is true for myself most of time, so I will retry a lot of maps over and over again until I get a good starts to help give myself a better play for the rest of the map.
That's true. I do this as well, perhaps once or twice, but if it takes something like 10 tries (Never retried a map that much at once...) to get a "good" start, isn't that a sign that the beatmap is perhaps too difficult at the moment, and getting that S is impossible anyways so just do what you can on a regular playthrough?

lolcubes wrote:

They are probably getting a miss or a 100 and quickly retrying.
Since the spectator has some delay, it just didn't get to that point where the player got a 100 or a miss.
That's why it looks like someone is grinding the beginning.
Ah this could be one part of it, if they're retrying not because of the 100 but because of a miss then I can understand completely. I'd restart on a miss as well XD.

silmarilen wrote:

imagine getting that 100 at the start, and then SSing the rest of the map, wouldnt that make you feel horrible?
even if you know you're not going to SS the map, every 100 you get at the start is a 100 you can avoid by just retrying it.
I would indeed feel like killing myself for not retrying, and proceed to retry that map for the SS (I usually fail miserably the second time), but it's not that common. Our favourite Finnish potato farmer thelewa said himself that going for SS is pretty much pointless, and the only person that I've seen with more SS's than S's is mugio3.
winber1

nooblet wrote:

winber1 wrote:

it does save time in terms of FC-ing a map that isn't very hard, i do it all the time when i really don't feel like playing through the whole song like 20 times to FC it, general I do it on random anime opening songs if at al, since those are usually pretty easy to fcl. but that's a habit i have.

it's more of a pet peeve kind of thing where if i miss my instant reaction is to retry
But... Why? If you need 20 retries to FC it, it can't possibly be just the beginning alone can it, or does FCing the first 30 secs of TV Sizes make the other minute easier? o-O
sometimes yes, because it's an easy song. Easy enough to sight read the rest of the song. A ton of my HD DT records on those common anime songs are just me retrying like 5-8times for the first half of the song, then after I get past that I just end up fc-ing the rest because i can sightread it easily.

obviously this doesn't apply to the harder records i have.

only reason I did that was because it actually saved time, and back in the day, I was actually trying to rank up in the broken pp system, but at some point i stopped doing that because pp was pointless and i didn't have as much time as i had before. which was why i dropped from like rank 400 to rank like 940 in the old pp system. though now with this new system, i didn't even have to do anything and my rank increased by quite a lot, so yea.
NixXSkate
Sometimes constantly retrying a map screws with your rote memory so you can't do the beginning as easily, but once your past it, it becomes easier. This is also why some people find it easier to sightread FC than it is to FC after retrying.

<- Maybe the player is too blinded by rage to try it later and will rape the retry button anyway.
buny
an SS at the start and misses during the song is still better than an S at the start and the same amount of misses afterwards
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

you know how many times I missed one of the first 50 circles in a 1000+ combo map and FC'd all the rest...

it makes you feel like this:

:|
Myke B

Aqo wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

you know how many times I missed one of the first 50 circles in a 1000+ combo map and FC'd all the rest...

it makes you feel like this:

:|
So then why is retrying the beginning a "waste of time" exactly?
Aqo

Myke B wrote:

Because some people play for the fun of playing / to improve from the play and move on ; and not to farm FCs
Nobody guarantees you'd FC the map if you retried anyway
Myke B

Aqo wrote:

Myke B wrote:

Because some people play for the fun of playing / to improve from the play and move on ; and not to farm FCs
Nobody guarantees you'd FC the map if you retried anyway
Of course not, but just because it isn't guaranteed doesn't mean it's waste of time, no?
GoldenWolf
If it's mostly a jump map I won't bother retrying, I could miss anywhere so it'd be a waste of time
If it's a fast stream map I won't waste my time playing the full thing, I don't have unlimited stamina over 200bpm so if I want FC I retry as soon as I miss

Mostly that
Soulg
it makes no sense to me either but everybody is different and plays games for different reasons, i know a guy that literally plays a map once then uninstalls it completely because he's done with it.

on topic if i really want to do it for some reason i will spam retry until i get it.
my #1 on kokou no sousei took me almost 2 hours offline until i was to the point where i could do it, and i already had it memorized completely because of 600 playslol
RaneFire

NixXSkate wrote:

Sometimes constantly retrying a map screws with your rote memory so you can't do the beginning as easily, but once your past it, it becomes easier. This is also why some people find it easier to sightread FC than it is to FC after retrying.
This is an interesting point for consistency and it's also why I like to play a song to the end most of the time. I will often also replay a song even if I FC it in 1 play count, usually to improve it, because consistency is just as much about sight-reading as it is about remembering things correctly so you can do the same things 2 or 3 times in a row without making a mistake.

Pushing limits on difficult maps is an exception though, because that's not very consistent :P

It's one of my philosophies that I carried over from another game, which I barely play anymore because osu!
I was accused of scripting quite often because I'd literally do the exact same run within 0.1 of a second about 50 times in a row, then eventually break my record by 0.008. Yeah, that doesn't sound too fun to most people... osu! is quite different though and I don't do that here :P
Tshemmp
I am doing this when I get kinda mad, like "I should be able to FC/SS the beginning so easily, why am I failing". I just don't want to accept getting defeated BY A MAP.
But yeah, actually it is a waste of time.
lolcubes

Tshemmp wrote:

But yeah, actually it is a waste of time.
So is reading and posting on the forums, most of the time, and people still do it. :p
(Just like I did now)
Salvage
Didn't read anything but in my case it's because if i don't, that's usually the play i fc the rest 100% and end up with the horrible beginning, otherwise is the totally opposite tho but well.
buny
Necro'ing
I would have fc'd this if I restarted after the first few seconds, so spam retrying because you missed at start isn't that bad, because you might actually fc the rest

Also, 1x miss/combo break thread
Mamoru Senpai

NotCookie wrote:

I totally agree. I had some cases where I messed up at the start, ignored it and almost SS'd the rest of the map. Afterall I did regret not retrying the start.
AmaiHachimitsu
Grinding maps for too long is very bad because playing tricky parts over and over again creates a mental block and you later tend to miss far more often. You lose your time, health and nerves of which I'm the best example. I seriously regret retrying banned forever 700+ times in my first weeks of playing.

Grind only when you're in such a shape which you might not be later on. Well, this is how it should be. I grinded mostly because I hate losing to a map that I'm clearly capable of FCing. That all is due to my inconsistency and lack of focus, can't do much in this case (I think?).
buny

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Grinding maps for too long is very bad because playing tricky parts over and over again creates a mental block and you later tend to miss far more often. You lose your time, health and nerves of which I'm the best example. I seriously regret retrying banned forever 700+ times in my first weeks of playing.

Grind only when you're in such a shape which you might not be later on. Well, this is how it should be. I grinded mostly because I hate losing to a map that I'm clearly capable of FCing. That all is due to my inconsistency and lack of focus, can't do much in this case (I think?).
That first bit doesn't apply to me, I learned to overcome that mental block by not getting angry over retrying/missing
Blueprint
Most of my top played maps are retrys, Off topic I will never use sudden death offline again, nothing impressive but over the weekend I missed a note playing the creator (origin) when I was about 95% in and then failed I can't even clear it today anyhow I wish there was a legit way of being consistent besides just getting better at the game lol.
buny
That's like saying how do I get better without practicing
Topic Starter
nooblet

Blueprint wrote:

Most of my top played maps are retrys, Off topic I will never use sudden death offline again, nothing impressive but over the weekend I missed a note playing the creator (origin) when I was about 95% in and then failed I can't even clear it today anyhow I wish there was a legit way of being consistent besides just getting better at the game lol.
Sudden Death is, I think, only useful if you will only accept a near-perfect score on a certain beatmap, not for something you can barely play.
Rewben2
Trying to get a good score for dat pp
Purple
I play my best on the 3rd to 5th run. After that I just say "keep trying.. it worked for rrtyui on big black why won't it work for me now".. and then I end up raging
Akali

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

I totally agree. I had some cases where I messed up at the start, ignored it and almost SS'd the rest of the map. Afterall I did regret not retrying the start.
That's not how things work. First of all, you can't really tell what would have happened, unless you are a wizard. Second - some people get nervous when holding FC, I personally had a situation where missing at the beginning and just playing through the map without pressure made me FC parts I have a trouble with.
Topic Starter
nooblet

Akali wrote:

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

That's not how things work. First of all, you can't really tell what would have happened, unless you are a wizard. Second - some people get nervous when holding FC, I personally had a situation where missing at the beginning and just playing through the map without pressure made me FC parts I have a trouble with.
I agree with this. And it makes me very very sad, too, since it doesn't end up as my highest score. After a miss on https://osu.ppy.sh/b/281993?m=0, I ended up finishing with 2 misses and 1 100 (Probably not that impressive, but definitely surprised me...), and I've never gotten close to that accuracy ever again...
Mamoru Senpai

Akali wrote:

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

I totally agree with you. It's just that I'm like "meh", when I messed up at the start. That's all.
[ Stellar ]

Akali wrote:

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

This. When I mess up, I just start doing some cookiezi jumps, like, I don't give two shits anymore.
Rewben2

[ Stellar ] wrote:

When I mess up, I just start doing some cookiezi jumps
Do you mean cursor dancing? lol
[ Stellar ]
Do you mean cursor dancing? lol
Yes. I always thought cookiezi was the best at it.
GoldenWolf
Who?
buny

GoldenWolf wrote:

Who?
justin obama
Rewben2

GoldenWolf wrote:

Who?
I THOUGHT WE WENT THROUGH THIS

THE PIANO COMPOSER THAT LOST HIS HEARING, COOKIEZI
GoldenWolf