forum

How do I hit beats?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Deoxysprime
This seems like a ridiculous question for a player with over a 10,000 playcount to ask... but how do I hit beats properly? I feel like I've gotten to where I am while somehow missing something key to playing well.

After I bought my tablet I definitely improved quite a bit. I can now perform some pretty impressive jumps with relative accuracy. My other skills picked up along with my screen-traversal speed because I started playing more difficult songs. However, I feel like I've hit a wall now. I'm not sure how to pick up my other skills well. There are just a bunch of songs in which I can't really hit beats at all. Certain sections of songs wall me from passing them entirely. Some songs I can only pass with some luck.

I know for a fact that I can accurately traverse the screen. With the Relax mod on I can easily score 97-98% accuracy or more on songs that I normally only score 80~% accuracy on. Some songs that I can't even pass I can get 95% or higher accuracy on with Relax on. It's not an achievement to me - that just tells me that I'm hitting the buttons wrong. Mistiming, misinterpreting, or something to that effect. I'll link a few maps and some of the specific difficulties I'm encountering with each.

Saiya - Remote Control [Insane]
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/53857
I've passed this song once out of the pretty large number of attempts I've made at it. I must be timing my hits wrong with my jumps. Most of the time I can pass the first difficult set of jumps. The second set usually ends the attempt because on each set I'll miss two or more beats and lose. Is there some kind of technique to accurately landing on the beat, hitting the note, and moving on?

Yousei Teikoku - Wahrheit [Saten]
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/53923
I pass this song most of the time. There is one part of the song where I just physically can't hit any of the beats. It's a circular shape in which you jump from one end to the other until a full circular shape is completed. I absolutely can't hit those. I have to slow down and wait for a couple of them that I can snipe so that I don't fail. It's kind of depressing because I cruise through the rest of the song with relative ease.

Dee! feat. Nomiya Ayumi - Hito Ayumishi Unmei ni Yosete [Lunatic]
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/94977
I can't pass this song. I can get 95%+ accuracy for most of the song (which is pretty good for me) but near the end there's a set of beats in a sort of rotating triangle formation. I can't hit any of those for the life of me. No matter how many times I try the song I just can do it.

Yousei Teikoku - Hades: The Rise [Insane]
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/33911
I pass this song a great percent of the time. I struggle getting solid accuracy though. I can easily get 98-99% on Relax but without it I suffer a terrible accuracy around 83-84%. I always manage to get a few misses, 50s, or 100s from those sets of 3-5 beats that show up during the song. It's not enough to cause me to fail but my accuracy is never good.

Then I also have a general problem in which I struggle to hit singles of a certain speed and placement. I can single tap quickly just fine but there are certain speeds and placements where I can't help but miss a lot or get a bunch of non-300 scoring hits.

Anyway, I'm just looking for some advice. I checked the how to improve thread but a lot of the tips seemed awfully general. My playcount is so high that I'm constantly practicing. I'm always doing the most difficult songs I can or songs that I know I can't pass. I just can't seem to fix the most recent problems I've bumped into. I've been stuck on the same maps for weeks now when I feel like I should be overcoming these and moving on to something a little more challenging.
Myke B
Can I get a TL;DR on that question please?
brendanuhs
probably just spamming through difficult songs and not actually playing them and developing bad habits. idk. seems pretty dumb though. don't even know what your problem is. you already the answer is practice more and focus on actually playing in rhythm and not smashing keys and praying you hit stuff.
Pettanko
Use headphones if you're not, since they usually help with concentrating on the timing
Make sure your universal offset is correct, use the search box to find threads where people have posted on how to do so
Play maps that are within your comfort range and work on getting high accuracy on them, around 99% or so.
Don't mash your keys on streams and practice snapping
Relax mod doesn't accurately portray your aim since you can fling your cursor around and still end up "hitting" the notes

From what I've gathered in that huge wall of text, it seems like accuracy isn't your only problem, it's also your aim on patterns. Watch your replays in .5x speed and see if your cursor actually ends up on top of the notes or if they end up slightly off. Don't use relax mod to gauge your ability to play maps you struggle on because relax makes everything trivial.

tl;dr play more
Topic Starter
Deoxysprime
Sorry, I asked this question more or less out of my frustration that I haven't been improving. I'll try to rephrase it better.

How do you hit beats accurately? Much of the time I'm relying on the notes being in tune with the song for me to hit them accurately. When I first started playing the game I relied on that approach circle but now it's incredibly hard for me to focus in on a single note and its approach circle. Especially during large jumps and repetitive patterns.

Pettanko wrote:

tl;dr play more
Thanks for the tips. I never thought of reviewing my replays in slow motion. I did plan to play more though.
thelewa
learn meter
Xaffy
10k playcount is nothing. Practice more.
thelewa
I was already one of the most accurate players in the world when I had 10k playcount so

just learn meter

apply it to your playing

if you can't figure it out then good for you, you have a chance to not get engulfed by this game
Topic Starter
Deoxysprime

thelewa wrote:

I was already one of the most accurate players in the world when I had 10k playcount so

just learn meter

apply it to your playing

if you can't figure it out then good for you, you have a chance to not get engulfed by this game
I'm already pretty much engulfed in this game. I'm not sure what you mean though. Edit: Oh, I see. Meter as in beat timing and BPM type stuff. 1/4 and all that jazz.

Xafnia wrote:

10k playcount is nothing. Practice more.
Yeah, I know. I planned on it. I just feel like my skill is pretty poor compared to my playcount. I was hoping that I might find something out. All I've found out so far is that I come off as really whiny. I don't mean to sound that way though. I'm just looking for tips or things to practice in particular to adjust my playstyle.

Edit: Started watching some of my replays at .5x speed. They're disgusting and I think I ought to spend some time building accuracy on slightly easier songs.
thelewa
just learn meter you'll instantly learn how to hit beats without even looking at the approach circles
Xaffy
Try playing maps that are difficult for most of the map and not just a very small portion of it.
Myke B

thelewa wrote:

just learn meter you'll instantly learn how to hit beats without even looking at the approach circles
Probably best answer :/ I'm not really sure what else you can say.
tokaku
Single tapping would make you more conscious on what you're hitting if you spam your z and X with alternating. If that's not the case you should concentrate on the next note's approach circle
darkmiz
play jumpy maps with hidden mod