forum

Good mouse for mouse-only?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty
I already have a logitech g400 but buttons are very hard. I don´t know if it´s because of shitty fingers or bad mouse, so I could try another one softer.

Any recommendations based on personal experience?
aBunny
microsoft wmo :] is best
theburgerhd
I dunno, people say that Razer Mamba is not good but it worked perfectly for me when I was using mouse... not that cheap but I really like it.
Avail_old_1
Any mouse you're confortable using.
Myke B

Avail wrote:

Any mouse you're confortable using.
He's asking what mouses to try. You can't just try every mouse and choose which one was most comfortable for you.
Breiz
Intellimouse explorer 3.0 is the best mouse. Almost all top mouse only players use it. i've used several mice before, but i've improved quite a lot when i got the ie 3.0. Don't get a deathadder. don't get zowies (hard buttons). Join the ie3.0 masterrace.
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty

Breiz wrote:

Intellimouse explorer 3.0 is the best mouse. Almost all top mouse only players use it. i've used several mice before, but i've improved quite a lot when i got the ie 3.0. Don't get a deathadder. don't get zowies (hard buttons). Join the ie3.0 masterrace.
Why not Deathadder? Is it also hard?

But IE 3.0 is discontinued or something, the actual one would be Microsoft WMO? Is it equally good?
Purple
Talk to Kriers, he's a well known mouse-only technician.
AmaiHachimitsu
IE 3.0 > WMO if mouse-only

and WMO is older than 3.0.

WMO is cheaper, more like office mouse. I use it and I find it better than 3.0 because of the shape and weight, but it's too light for mouse only, I think.
Glyph
Deathadders, at least the 2013 edition, actually have very easy buttons to press - having touched several mice used for games, I find these buttons softest.

Grip and comfort however, will require some testing on your part.
Aposke
Not gonna lie, my experience with mouse-only playing has usually always been "Oops, I played 3 months and now the buttons don't click properly anymore". Some of the better gaming mice have lasted a little longer, but they all eventually come to a point where, at the very least, the buttons don't "rebound" properly anymore and clicking fast streams or even just stacks becomes impossible because the buttons don't rebound as fast as you're trying to click them.
Basically, I really dislike soft buttons on my mice, but no matter what I do, they all kind of "wear down" in hardness after only a few weeks of playing. I'd really like to know if there's any mice out there with an actual spring mechanism under the buttons, kind of like the ones mechanical keyboards have.
As for the IntelliMouse, I've never had it myself, but I've seen it mentioned by a few really good mouse-only players, so it might be a good idea to try it out.
sunumi
I have the g400s and it is pretty good, has a good warranty,and the sensor is flawless.
RaneFire

Aposke wrote:

Not gonna lie, my experience with mouse-only playing has usually always been "Oops, I played 3 months and now the buttons don't click properly anymore".
The downside to this is that mice which are rated for lots of clicking will generally have very stiff/hard to press buttons (G400). They are not ideal for mouse-only, so you just need to prepare to pay for a new mouse when needed, and go for something comfortable, otherwise it's not even worth it.

I would much rather have lighter buttons, because I had huge stamina problems on fast or streamy maps and my fingers stiffened up almost permanently from it. I stopped playing mouse-only for fear of RSI or some other injury. A few months break and my fingers finally moved fine again, without feeling like there's paper crammed in my joints with every bend of the fingers.
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty
But clicking in hard buttons for a long time would increase stamina, wouldnt it? Then switching to reds again would be like streaming in air?
RaneFire

skiter43 wrote:

But clicking in hard buttons for a long time would increase stamina, wouldnt it? Then switching to reds again would be like streaming in air?
My right hand was exceptionally fast from the moment I picked up mouse-only. It's the same case for a lot of people because it's my dominant hand. It's still way faster than my left even after practicing for so long, so I plan to play some taiko oni's with it someday (when I get there).

I think there is a balance before you do yourself an injury. My problem was with my joints, that's not stamina related, that's joint strain caused by hard mouse buttons putting stress in the wrong places, because they required more force to stream consistently, or else sometimes they wouldn't click. I've never had a joint problem with my left hand even after the longest streaming sessions.

I was obviously building stamina, but the problem is that stiffening of the joints inhibits movement, so I felt myself getting slower and slower over time. This led to my hand locking up more and more, increasing the tension exponentially while playing the stuff that I normally do... stuff that wouldn't even begin to start draining stamina, but gradually became more of a problem over time. I was getting worse.
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty
But i will use it mainly with my left hand (mouse click left hand + tablet movement right hand). That would be very useful for training stream speed if it is as you say
RaneFire
I measured the actuation force required for my G400 mouse buttons.

It's 110 grams. Measured on the point where my fingers rest. It's gets less as you approach the tip of the mouse, 85g at the tip.
thatlaggynoob
Razer Deathadder is very good, the buttons are very sensitive and the mouse is big enough that you won't clicking won't move the whole mouse and mess up your streams. I'd only recommend if you're used to using a big mouse, though.
AmaiHachimitsu
Niko complained about DA, but still could Stream 250 bpm so should be OK

IE 3.0 is better anyway ;o
Wh1teh
Zowie ec1 still working
Mathsma
Are the mouse buttons on the Zowie AM just bad? Mine are beginning to activate multiple times on each click sometimes, e.g. my ADS button for CoD is RMB but when I press it, it jitters sometimes and makes sniping impossible because it will scope in and out constantly. Another thing with it is that my scroll wheel button is having this issue too, so when I press a link with my scroll wheel click to open it in another tab it sometimes opens 5 tabs with just 1 press. This isn't exclusive to just me either, my friend also has this issue with the AM.
NixXSkate
If you aren't going to play mouse only and are just using a mouse to click, I recommend the CM Storm Recon. It has very nice Omron switch mouse buttons and zero-acceleration tracking. I wouldn't say it's the BEST mouse for mouse-only, however, because the weight is kinda light and it feels somewhat unbalanced while moving since its of normal mouse height but skinny, and lighter in the front of the mouse than the back. Also some people don't like high LOD. Better to have LOD high than too low like Zowie mice though, unless you have a hard, slippery mouse pad.

Edit: I also wouldn't recommend any Razer mice for clicking. Most of their buttons feel so spongy and shitty. The DA's buttons aren't shitty but still spongy and feels like you never bottom out, probably why Niko didn't like them. I also never used the IME 3.0, only the WMA 1.1A, so I don't know how the IME 3.0 compares to the CM Storm Recon in terms of clicking.
EineKrone

NixXSkate wrote:

If you aren't going to play mouse only and are just using a mouse to click, I recommend the CM Storm Recon. It has very nice Omron switch mouse buttons and zero-acceleration tracking.
Interesting, just what i was looking for. Now time to start saving money ._.