forum

Rhythm Lines, an original rhythm game

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DdR_Dan
So I made my own original rhythm game, and anyone who's interested is welcome to download it and try it out. It's meant to be a really hard game though. Here's a video overview of it:

From the video description:

"Now you can play Rhythm Lines too! Download it here: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3 ... ile%2c.zip (runs on Windows, the bottom of the screen may be cut off at lower resolutions). If there's any problems, leave a comment and I'll try to fix them.

Forgot to mention in the video: when a circle appears in a hit icon, you don't have to press that hit icon unless the circle reverses and moves back to it.

The game features 7 original songs (9 songs total) and 14 completed charts. But be warned, it's definitely not an easy game. There is one chart that's actually meant to be a beginner chart, a few kind of easy (or maybe very hard, depending on your perspective) charts, and then a bunch of really hard and even harder charts. Hey, at least there's a half time feature now.

Keys:
S,D,F,G,H,J,K,L - the 8 buttons to hit

In menus:
Left/Right - Change song (hold tab to change faster)
Up/Down - Change difficulty
V/N - Change player for high scores (my best is included under player 5)
-/+ - Change timing offset (hold shift to change by 10ms)
M - Toggle !rorriM mode
H - Toggle half time mode

General rules:
There are 8 hit icons corresponding to 8 keys on the keyboard. Colored circles represent notes to hit, and when they pass through a hit icon, you must press the corresponding button. The notes follow tracks. If a track is dark grey, the note will reverse once after reaching the end of the track. If a track is black, the note will reverse multiple times. The color of the note is based on the speed the note will travel. From slowest to fastest, the colors are green, blue, yellow, orange, red, and black. As mentioned above, when a note appears inside of a hit icon, you don't need to press that button, unless the note reverses and comes to the hit icon again later.

You can store 4 different sets of high scores in different player files (the 5th player file has my high scores). If you fail a song, you can continue playing but you'll receive a fail grade at the end. Failed scores count on the rankings too, but are only given 60% of the actual score earned. On the song select screen, your best grade on a chart is shown next to the chart. Exclamation points next to the grade indicate the highest full combo level earned on the chart, up to a max of !!!! for a full perfect.

You can use the unranked half time mode for practice. There's no music, but there is a tick noise on every beat. Mirror (!rorriM) mode flips the location of all notes horizontally."
Trash Boat
haha awesome, its mania with reverse sliders. good job!
Chamelo
There're some confusing note I spotted. (And after tried once.)

Example: around 2.20, there's a (red) note where it started exactly inside the circle. I wonder if we should tap it right after it fully spawned or not?

btw, nice game! I'm looking forward to see the next version! (Hopefully this is not the final version ;w;)
seasonS
It's creative and looks like it could be a fun challenge :D
Chamelo
dat necro...
ColdTooth
holy crap, this looks 100x harder than mania itself on osu.

and im not even good at mania.

Actually, this looks pretty interesting so far, maybe I'll give it a try later.
787B
Whoa, this is nice, great work!