forum

skill level relative to number of plays

posted
Total Posts
show more
Donloby
I feel like I should have made better use of my 5000 plays playing more hard's and insane's rather than playing more normal's and going for fc on every map I play. Though it has increased my accuracy(for hards and insanes), aim is something that could be better atm. I wonder if I'm good or bad considering my rank. I recently started playing only insanes with about a 96-97%% accuracy. Currently working on FCing them. FC this with DT+HD in less than 20 tries https://osu.ppy.sh/b/316260?m=0
Soulg

Myke B wrote:

Soulg wrote:

in my personal opinion i am bad, i am nowhere near as good as i want to be and thus i spend much of my time practicing

so im rank 615 and i suck
That's fine - you're comparing yourself to the best, and that's accurate to say you suck (no offence lol, especially coming from me) but you are definitely better than the average player. High school kids get called "good" all the time in sports, but really they probably not very good compared to professionals, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I suppose this is all my opinion though.
that's pretty true since im grinding my hand speed to be greater than nothing while watching cookiezi liveplays and being emo that my fingers cant move fast enough
Rewben2

pielak213 wrote:

calling yourself bad>calling yourself good
Meh. If you believe you are good you might be inclined to play more opposed to thinking you are bad and thinking along the lines of "I'm awful, what's the point of even playing."
uzzi

Rewben2 wrote:

pielak213 wrote:

Meh. If you believe you are good you might be inclined to play more opposed to thinking you are bad and thinking along the lines of "I'm awful, what's the point of even playing."
I feel it's the opposite for me. I know for a fact that I'm not decent, so I figure that it's best to keep playing to improve and be decent. I get comments in my #spectator chat once in a while with people saying that I seem like a really good player, when really I'm not. It's more of a false hope thing. At least, that's how I see it.
GoldenWolf

Rewben2 wrote:

pielak213 wrote:

Or "I'm good, what would I play even more?" or "I'm bad, I want to play more to become good"
Icyteru

Rewben2 wrote:

I have a lot of plays/total hits for my rank (although I'm gaining ranks very quickly) and it doesn't bother me at all - I play because I enjoy it.
You have a higher ranked score than me lol
Mayoi Hachikuji

Myke B wrote:

Mayoi Hachikuji wrote:

I just came here to say that i have played 60k games in one year and I'm still bad.

Dunno 'bout my rank tho. PPV2 liked me. So yeah playcount doesn't matter, don't compare it to skill. ^_^
rank 300 =/= bad, someone is looking for attention O.o
Someone is quite good at farming ranks. Doesn't mean I'm good. MP me or make me play a map with streams that are longer than 10+ notes. ._.
RaneFire
Convincing yourself you are good is one of the most successful ways of quitting osu!

As long as you don't believe you are good, you are stuck here forever.
Myke B

Mayoi Hachikuji wrote:

Someone is quite good at farming ranks. Doesn't mean I'm good. MP me or make me play a map with streams that are longer than 10+ notes. ._.
You must have like ten trillion maps then.

Rewben2 wrote:

This may be a stretch, but I'm gonna just say that it's probably the opposite for most people.
Soulg
The people that stick around and continue playing the game don't think "i suck, why even play"

they think "i suck, i dont want to suck, i will keep playing until i no longer suck"
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

The people that stick around and continue playing the game don't think "i suck, why even play"

they think "i suck, i dont want to suck, i will keep playing until i no longer suck"
Exactly.
Weed
and that's how they get trapped because they're bad forever
Soulg

bewaredrev wrote:

and that's how they get trapped because they're bad forever
i'll be damned if im bad at hovering forever
Icyteru
I quit because osu! is bad for my life
Almost

Myke B wrote:

Mayoi Hachikuji wrote:

You must have like ten trillion maps then.
I can believe him since I'm in a similar position. I haven't done anything difficult at all and I'm rank 500 while I've seen plenty of players in the 1-2k ranks that FC things that I wish I could. You don't even need to have FC'd a lot of things, just need to play the right maps.
Mayoi Hachikuji

Almost wrote:

I can believe him since I'm in a similar position. I haven't done anything difficult at all and I'm rank 500 while I've seen plenty of players in the 1-2k ranks that FC things that I wish I could. You don't even need to have FC'd a lot of things, just need to play the right maps.
I know exacly how you feel. DT + HD doesn't really seem special to me. I can't do HR at all and i don't have the controls to stream for a longer period. I can't do slow stuff either. DT + HD is just really favored by the new system. I always lose MP to players with a lower rank.... I don't know how to get better at normal stuff.
Rewben2

[AirCoN] wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

I have a lot of plays/total hits for my rank (although I'm gaining ranks very quickly) and it doesn't bother me at all - I play because I enjoy it.
You have a higher ranked score than me lol
That's cuz I used to just play every single map and didn't play challenging things, look at my S count compared to yours lol

Myke B wrote:

Rewben2 wrote:

This may be a stretch, but I'm gonna just say that it's probably the opposite for most people.
Yeah, I know a lot of people will think like that. I just feel inclined to play games I'm more skilled at, I still try and improve in games I'm bad at. Key word - inclined - I just feel more willing to play games I'm better at. That isn't to say I don't try to improve.
Myke B

Rewben2 wrote:

Yeah, I know a lot of people will think like that. I just feel inclined to play games I'm more skilled at, I still try and improve in games I'm bad at. Key word - inclined - I just feel more willing to play games I'm better at. That isn't to say I don't try to improve.
Yea, and that's cool. Everyone is different.
Aq0_old

Iluya wrote:

First thing: Different people come with different abilities to this game. Maybe played a lot of ego shooters before and have fast reactions and already more trained with fast finger movements. Takes some time to adapt those skills to the osu-view, but still: Not everyone starts the same.

2nd: How you play the game: I played a ton of games with friends way below my skill level at that time.. That just doesnt help you much to improve (though i think it helps a lot for the overall accuracy to go back sometimes and play around with easy-to-handle maps!), but "wastes" a lot of playtime/hits/plays.

But as long as you have fun while doing it: F*ck that stats and keep going what makes you happy!
osu! made me better in Counter-Strike :)
Myke B

1-3-3-7 wrote:

Iluya wrote:

First thing: Different people come with different abilities to this game. Maybe played a lot of ego shooters before and have fast reactions and already more trained with fast finger movements. Takes some time to adapt those skills to the osu-view, but still: Not everyone starts the same.

2nd: How you play the game: I played a ton of games with friends way below my skill level at that time.. That just doesnt help you much to improve (though i think it helps a lot for the overall accuracy to go back sometimes and play around with easy-to-handle maps!), but "wastes" a lot of playtime/hits/plays.

But as long as you have fun while doing it: F*ck that stats and keep going what makes you happy!
osu! made me better in Counter-Strike :)
It's funny, because I use to play semi-professional css, and I noticed those skills carried over when I first started playing with my mouse.