forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Taiko)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Luna
120 BPM maps get 240 BPM drumrolls, which is increased to 360 BPM 1/4 by DT
Just an example
I don't really see a way to incorporate big notes/drumrolls/spinners into a difficulty algorithm without per-hitobject data on scores tho (unless it's an SS)
lolcubes

_Gezo_ wrote:

They become brutal above 200 1/4 DT @cubes.
And past 250 you come to 1/2 ticks :U
Yes, that's what I said. Any BPM above 200 with DT applied make them over 300 BPM real time.
Luna
Tom, could you possibly add some DT maps to the difficulty list so we can see how those are rated?
Stuff like this maybe:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/132889&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/214251&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/267841&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/153886&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/161275&m=1

All of those are hard DT maps, some moreso than others. I'd just like to see what your program thinks of them.

Thanks!
Topic Starter
Tom94
:!:

lolcubes wrote:

While it's understandable that everyone is focusing more on how the converts get converted and how the hard maps get valued, but let's talk about lower maps a little.

We have *** Passionate (TV Size) which is valued the same as Dragons. I FCd Passionate with hard rock where I barely get an A on Dragons, with a low combo. Dragons is so much harder because of really odd rhythms and because it's kinda long compared to the TV Size thing.

Then you have Hades in the Heaven which is valued slightly above but then you have a couple of much easier maps, namely Night of Fire by lepidon which is a lot higher above. Certain pattern chain in the middle of the map make Hades really really hard to FC, while Night of Fire has quite simple patterns and is something I consider a beginner's map. Thank you for playing isn't that difficult either and it's even further above.

Also in the mid class you have Intersect Thunderbolt 7491's Oni which is below Ernst Oni. I highly disagree with this, despite Ernst being a bit more pattern heavy. The patterns in Ernst aren't difficult, it's just slightly a more dense map, but in Intersect Thunderbolt you have high speed pattern changes, namely a quite hard 1/3 stream to perform correctly due to it's bpm which contains multiple hand swaps.

Just some thoughts.
The first issue you mentioned seems to be well fixed in the newest list. Regarding hades in the heaven, the difference between the maps you called and this one seems to have shrunk, but there still is quite a gap.
Pattern difficulty can only be considered to a certain extent due to subjectivity and due to the fact, that for the algorithm there is no way to find out about "1/3" or "1/4". All there is are relative timings, so I can't promise much improvement in that direction without ruining weightings for other maps.

The thunderbolt vs ernst thing is very similar, you even called the 1/3 out... there's not much the algorithm can do in that regard. Also 1/3 can be trained just as easily as 1/4 - the only reason many people are bad at them is because they are so uncommon. :P

Luna wrote:

Tom, could you possibly add some DT maps to the difficulty list so we can see how those are rated?
Stuff like this maybe:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/132889&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/214251&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/267841&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/153886&m=1
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/161275&m=1

All of those are hard DT maps, some moreso than others. I'd just like to see what your program thinks of them.

Thanks!
Can't selectively apply mods for some maps for now. That'd require some very unnecessary program loogic for the final purpose if weighting pp and (imho) is a waste of time to implement. If the algorithm works well with the current maps you throw at it, then it should work well with pretty much any map and thus also those DT maps. All it does is create a new map with 1.5 the speed anyway.

lolcubes wrote:

It could be possible if the condition is a full combo though. There is extra score after all.
Could have small calculation issues with sliders though, but they give only a certain amount of score so...

Out of curiosity, how are sliders calculated then? You don't have to hit a slider to full combo, but it should show skill too, there are some maps where sliders become absolutely brutal if you have DT activated. Unreal BPMs and all (above 300).
Sliders can't really be factored in for the same reasons as big notes. There might be one way to do it, though, which is to consider score relative to the maximum possible score instead of things like 300, 100, 50 and miss counts.

Do you guys think the taiko scoring system is good enough to be used as a basis for pp?
Nashmun
From what we are sawing, I think we can give it a try so that we can see how it goes for every maps instead of a limited list and then adjust the algorithm little by little
Topic Starter
Tom94

Nashmun wrote:

From what we are sawing, I think we can give it a try so that we can see how it goes for every maps instead of a limited list and then adjust the algorithm little by little
That means implementing pp with it. Can't go and post gigantic lists with 30,000+ entries. :P
But yeah, things are going forward.
Nashmun
Yeah I know, just saying that implementing it with pp would help us understand more how it weight every maps and then adjust the algorithm to be even more accurate :)
AnFace

Nashmun wrote:

Yeah I know, just saying that implementing it with pp would help us understand more how it weight every maps and then adjust the algorithm to be even more accurate :)
Luna
Since a full implementation in the current state would probably cause a lot of confusion/panic in the community, maybe we can get a thing like ppy did with the initial standard ppv2 testing, where he'd have a seperate (hidden) ppv2 ranking to observe changes etc? If you'd post the link to that ranking in this thread, we could give way more specific feedback without confusing the general public.
Topic Starter
Tom94

Luna wrote:

Since a full implementation in the current state would probably cause a lot of confusion/panic in the community, maybe we can get a thing like ppy did with the initial standard ppv2 testing, where he'd have a seperate (hidden) ppv2 ranking to observe changes etc? If you'd post the link to that ranking in this thread, we could give way more specific feedback without confusing the general public.
I don't think using the difficulty values it can be any worse than what currently is in place. It's not yet decided how it will be done, though.
Luna
Yeah, I don't think it would be worse or anything, but since the algorithm is still unrefined, it would probably require quite a few (maybe big) algorithm changes. And looking at the community reaction every time that happens for standard, it feels like a better idea to do the first few iterations in a seperate ranking. Might be a unnecessary, dunno; personally I'd be completely fine with just implementing pp based on what you currently have and seeing what happens.
lolcubes

Tom94 wrote:

The thunderbolt vs ernst thing is very similar, you even called the 1/3 out... there's not much the algorithm can do in that regard. Also 1/3 can be trained just as easily as 1/4 - the only reason many people are bad at them is because they are so uncommon. :P
You didn't get the reason I called them though hehe.
The thing is, the kat patterns in that 1/3 stream are very difficult. Despite being slower than 1/4, that bpm is still very high and you have multiple hand switches during the 1/3 stream, in addition to no hand switches at the first part of the stream, which is odd for a 1/3 based rhythm.
That's why I consider it much harder, because before I changed my playstyle I could almost FC Ernst (had an unlucky miss), while I would consistently get destroyed on that 1/3 stream, which is why I think Ernst being above isn't as realistic.

Besides, now when I swapped my playstyle to full alt and began training from scratch so my skill is much lower than it used to be, I can still get a B or A if lucky on Ernst, while I still can't pass Intersect.

No rush in fixing this, I'm sure you have other priorities, but I am just explaining this better since you seem to have misunderstood my 1/3 call over there.

Pattern difficulty can only be considered to a certain extent due to subjectivity and due to the fact, that for the algorithm there is no way to find out about "1/3" or "1/4"
How so? Given the BPM, can't you calculate the timing between the notes? Or just scan them from the .osu?
EBAWER123
1/3 is slower than 1/4 so it's easier, no?

Also I don't see any point in calculating sliders and finishers in difficulty, have u ever played TnT on arcade? Noone ever hits big notes on hard maps, lol. Sliders, spinners and finishers just give me score, you don't really have any difficulties with them, given the same acc and mods, person with more score will get more pp, I thought it worked this way. Ot at least it should be like this I think.

On a side note, people who play ddkk/kkdd or kddk on the numpad like pm___ can hit finishers with 1 hand even on kddk due to the layout of numpad so for people like these hitting finishers is not a difficulty but instead free points ;)

P.S. It would be really cool to have rating of songs not just players somewhere maybe not on the main site but like a .txt file on dropbox or smthn which would automatically update with each ranked map.
Topic Starter
Tom94

lolcubes wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

You didn't get the reason I called them though hehe.
The thing is, the kat patterns in that 1/3 stream are very difficult. Despite being slower than 1/4, that bpm is still very high and you have multiple hand switches during the 1/3 stream, in addition to no hand switches at the first part of the stream, which is odd for a 1/3 based rhythm.
That's why I consider it much harder, because before I changed my playstyle I could almost FC Ernst (had an unlucky miss), while I would consistently get destroyed on that 1/3 stream, which is why I think Ernst being above isn't as realistic.

Besides, now when I swapped my playstyle to full alt and began training from scratch so my skill is much lower than it used to be, I can still get a B or A if lucky on Ernst, while I still can't pass Intersect.

No rush in fixing this, I'm sure you have other priorities, but I am just explaining this better since you seem to have misunderstood my 1/3 call over there.

Pattern difficulty can only be considered to a certain extent due to subjectivity and due to the fact, that for the algorithm there is no way to find out about "1/3" or "1/4"
How so? Given the BPM, can't you calculate the timing between the notes? Or just scan them from the .osu?
The bpm specified by the mapper can't be trusted... just look at The Big Black. And even if it could be trusted, there still would be songs which naturally require 1/3 most of the time, making 1/4 in turn harder. There is no general consensus, that 1/3 is harder thsn 1/4. And on top of that it's a very subjective thing - many people tell me, that 1/3 isn't hard for them at all.
Topic Starter
Tom94

EBAWER123 wrote:

1/3 is slower than 1/4 so it's easier, no?

Also I don't see any point in calculating sliders and finishers in difficulty, have u ever played TnT on arcade? Noone ever hits big notes on hard maps, lol. Sliders, spinners and finishers just give me score, you don't really have any difficulties with them, given the same acc and mods, person with more score will get more pp, I thought it worked this way. Ot at least it should be like this I think.

On a side note, people who play ddkk/kkdd or kddk on the numpad like pm___ can hit finishers with 1 hand even on kddk due to the layout of numpad so for people like these hitting finishers is not a difficulty but instead free points ;)

P.S. It would be really cool to have rating of songs not just players somewhere maybe not on the main site but like a .txt file on dropbox or smthn which would automatically update with each ranked map.

Difficulty of maps is planned to be displayed on the website and as new star rating.
lolcubes

Tom94 wrote:

The bpm specified by the mapper can't be trusted... just look at The Big Black. And even if it could be trusted, there still would be songs which naturally require 1/3 most of the time, making 1/4 in turn harder. There is no general consensus, that 1/3 is harder thsn 1/4. And on top of that it's a very subjective thing - many people tell me, that 1/3 isn't hard for them at all.
The point of BPM was you can get the timelines where the notes are snapped and by this you can detect how far are from each other. You don't need exact bpm to determine the difficulty of a stream.
For example, if two notes are apart by 75ms that means they can be 1/4 on 200, 1/8 on 100 or even 1/2 on 400 BPM. If it's 100ms then it can be 1/3 on 200 BPM, 1/6 on 100 BPM and 2/3 on 400 BPM.

You are still missing the point of the 1/3. 1/3 isn't hard to hit by default, the kat patterns inside is what can make it really weird to play.
For example a kdddk on 1/4 feels natural to play if both kats are located on beats, while kdddk on 1/3 is not so natural if alone if it starts on a beat, because the final kat will pass the beat. While this doesn't require the hand switch, rhythmically it can be quite complicated because it's not intuitive as kddk on 1/3, because while the hand switch occurs, both kats are located on the beats so it's actually expected and intuitive to perform.
If a kdddk on 1/3 starts one tick before a beat, that's ok too, but if it starts on a beat, then it can get weird, especially if it's a chain, because all your kats are becoming one tick off beat every repetition it occurs.

Hope this explains my view better.

P.S. for a good example you can check La Cataline's VANESSA, lepidon's taiko. That's a really good example of good 1/3 rhythms, almost the whole map needs hand switching on streams, but they are really intuitive because of the beat logic I explained above, and that is why it's not a hard map despite all the hand switching (for me at least).

edit:
Pics.

^ A classic kdddk chain which is easy to hit because every kat is located on a beat, making it intuitive to play

^ A kdddk chain on 1/3. Despite looking symmetrical, check how kats are 1 tick late. That's not intuitive to play at all, despite no hand switch required.

Also, check this out:

While it's just a simple stream, kat patterns like that, while they probably won't be used ever because such a pattern probably doesn't even exist in music, or is just so obscure it almost never gets used, check how dumb the kat rhythm is, always being late by 1 tick. It would need a few more repetitions for it to get back to the downbeat too, I just didn't want to repeat it until that because the picture would be too long.
This kind of pattern is also much harder to play because while it's unintuitive, it also requires a hand switch on every kat.
Topic Starter
Tom94

lolcubes wrote:

The point of BPM was you can get the timelines where the notes are snapped and by this you can detect how far are from each other. You don't need exact bpm to determine the difficulty of a stream.
For example, if two notes are apart by 75ms that means they can be 1/4 on 200, 1/8 on 100 or even 1/2 on 400 BPM. If it's 100ms then it can be 1/3 on 200 BPM, 1/6 on 100 BPM and 2/3 on 400 BPM.
And what speaks against 100ms being 1/4 on some other bpm? There is no way to find out whether something is 1/3 (or any multiple) or 1/4 (or any multiple) without trusting mapper information, whether it is the specified BPM or timings. This is not reliable and abusable, therefore can't be used. Wouldn't you find it strange if an exact same map suddenly became harder, just because someone decided to adjust the BPM to something possibly wrong without moving the hit objects?

lolcubes wrote:

You are still missing the point of the 1/3. 1/3 isn't hard to hit by default, the kat patterns inside is what can make it really weird to play. [...]
I'm not missing the point. Trust me, I understand you. There are also patterns which are very hard to play on 1/4 which in turn get easier on 1/3.
But since those 2 can't be distinguished (as described above) it's impossible to apply any weightings in the first place.

My other point still stands, that other taiko players told me they'd find similar patterns easy on 1/3, but hey, that's pretty much an irrelevant discussion about something very subjective, because - once again - 1/3 and 1/4 can't reliably be distinguished anyways.

If you think otherwise, then it'd be cool if you could drop me a PM with an exact method how to, but I'm faily confident, that you'd have to go down to analyzing the mp3 itself for doing that without trusting the mapper / artist, and we all know how unreliable algorithms are that try to analyze music data in such a way.
lolcubes

Tom94 wrote:

And what speaks against 100ms being 1/4 on some other bpm? There is no way to find out whether something is 1/3 (or any multiple) or 1/4 (or any multiple) without trusting mapper information, whether it is the specified BPM or timings. This is not reliable and abusable, therefore can't be used. Wouldn't you find it strange if an exact same map suddenly became harder, just because someone decided to adjust the BPM to something possibly wrong without moving the hit objects?
Uh, I worded it really carefully, if the BPM is 200, and someone chooses to halve or double it, you still get information you need. Incorrectly timed songs are unrankable and can't really get a scoreboard, right? That's why it's reliable enough.

Tom94 wrote:

lolcubes wrote:

You are still missing the point of the 1/3. 1/3 isn't hard to hit by default, the kat patterns inside is what can make it really weird to play. [...]
I'm not missing the point. Trust me, I understand you. There are also patterns which are very hard to play on 1/4 which in turn get easier on 1/3.
But since those 2 can't be distinguished (as described above) it's impossible to apply any weightings in the first place.
Why not? If you can get the timing difference between the notes and you know the bpm, you can easily know what snap it's using. More importantly, you know where the beats are as long as you have a bpm and an offset.
I probably confused you because I used the same pattern as an example, I should have used beat logic instead. I have used those specific values in ms because I was assuming someone made a mistake with BPM, halving or doubling it. You gave an example of big black, and this is exactly how this can get solved.

Lets say you have 2 beats, which are expressed with kats. Between them you can have a 1/2, two 1/3 or three 1/4 notes. That's how snapping works and is always true. If you have dons between those two kats, regardless of what pattern it makes, it's gonna be easy to play because it's intuitive. That's just how rhythm works.
Now, if you create broken rhythms, like I showed in the final pic, that is not only unintuitive but much harder than some really complex type of a stream.
For example, let's use a 1/4 stream of 16 notes with patterns inside:
kddddkddddkddddkd vs kkddkdkkdkddkdkkd

I am fairly sure despite it's complexity, the 2nd stream is easier to play because the rhythm is intuitive compared to the first one. Once you get really skilled you can probably play both of them, but rhythmically, the first one makes no sense whatsoever. This is an extreme case though, I'm fairly sure you will never see such a stream as I described as #1 up here, and I can understand your concerns about not being able to pickup the difficulty of a pattern just from the snap without scanning the mp3, however if something starts on a beat, usually it ends on a beat as well and rarely goes past it, and if it does it's usually another set of patterns that usually continue with a tick just before another beat as well.
Example: kdddkd dk, kdddkk kd or whatever. This is what I would call intuitive because it doesn't break the beat logic. Things like this can go off beat for a while when people map own rhythms (which is exactly why I am not fond of them, because they go against the beat usually) but that is ok as long as there is a visible pattern.

Well, long story short, if the algorithm considers the first stream as easier because it's less complex and more repetitive, I believe we have a problem. Intuitiveness is arguably a subjective topic here, but on a standard 4/4 song, the 2nd example will almost always, if not 99.99% of the time be easier to play if you just follow how the beats work.

Before people come at me that I am not using kats on beats in the 2nd stream, I was just trying to make a complex stream which feels intuitive given a 4/4 full measure, compared to the first one.

Another part that is probably getting ignored is the time signature. I am not saying a certain time signature is harder than the other one, I am saying a same pattern put into a different time signature will feel different and probably wrong as well, which in turn increases the difficulty because it's unintuitive.
This is probably very hard to detect and explain via an algorithm however if that can't be done I don't think the calc will be as accurate.
Not blaming you or anything, just giving you my thoughts in hopes you see why am I so stuck on this.

I'd say about 95% songs are 4/4 standard rhythm songs and most of the time people will play them. But every once in a while a really odd song may appear, where both BPM and time signature can be so weird you probably can't even recognize it while listening, creating chaos and all.

Sorry for a long post again, but it would really help if other people comment as well. I know that I am probably touching a subject not everyone can relate to, but having increased feedback will bring more accurate results.
Luna
kddddkddddkddddkd
Wow, just looking at this stream makes me incredibly angry. I'm pretty sure if I ever encountered something like that in a real map I'd ragequit haha
It's not terribly hard to play, but I'd still take the second example stream over that one any day.
LunaticP
Tom, actually i have a way find all those stream and get their complexity. But if the map have BPM change in the middle, i need a better i/o to get all timing point in.

If you don‘t mind i give you my complexity calculation method and you try to include that to see if it feel better
EBAWER123
@lolcubes

I'm a human and I still don't get what you explained D:
The only thing I can say is that kddddkddddkddddk is the same as kddkddkddkddkddk and they are both easy to play and read
Topic Starter
Tom94

lolcubes wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

Uh, I worded it really carefully, if the BPM is 200, and someone chooses to halve or double it, you still get information you need. Incorrectly timed songs are unrankable and can't really get a scoreboard, right? That's why it's reliable enough.
The algorithm is supposed to work with any map, not just ranked maps, so your argument is invalid. Also keep in mind, that there are some horribly timed old ranked maps.

And once again, I understood your point about patterns. I can see, that there are unintuitive patterns and intuitive patterns, also depending on BPM, division and so on.
The problem - once again - is, that multiple people tell me different things. "Unintuitive" and "intuitive" are very subjective things which can't be considered in the algorithm because exactly this. It is supposed to be objective and working for all playstyles.

It already does consider color changes from an even amount of circles with a color to an odd amount of circles with the other color and vice versa. It also considers rhythm changes from (M * 2 ^ X) to (N * 2 ^ X), that means from for instance (... 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 ...) to (... 3, 1, 1/3, 1/6, 1/12 ...). But it can only work with relative data, not with absolute data. Once again: Mapper information can not be trusted, because it has to work with all maps. Simply changing metadata BPM which doesn't affect the map at all should not affect the map difficulty. That'd be just wrong.

By the way, the algorithm would consider your both examples about equally hard, if not your first example harder, due to the switches from odd to even colors.
reventon_703
Hi, I posted this earlier on another thread and they directed me here. Sorry for coming out of nowhere.

I would just like to ask, with the current pp system out of order, are the current ranks not accurate? I have not been too active in Taiko lately and nowadays no matter how much I play, my rank goes down by hundreds. At times when I do play well, my rank would either drop a little (usually 1 to 10) or would remain stagnant.

If the system does return functional in the future, will my performance (and thus my pp) be rescaled to account for the downfall?
NoYzE
You will have your rank calculated for all maps played online.
So if you play a good performance now you will have a higher rank if the new system goes online then if you don't play.
The ranking system we have now is not properly displaying your rank and is only a placeholder, so don't give it much credit and just try to improve for yourself to get ready and have good scores if the new system goes online.
reventon_703

NoYzE wrote:

You will have your rank calculated for all maps played online.
So if you play a good performance now you will have a higher rank if the new system goes online then if you don't play.
The ranking system we have now is not properly displaying your rank and is only a placeholder, so don't give it much credit and just try to improve for yourself to get ready and have good scores if the new system goes online.
Thanks for the reply NoYzE, I will definitely play more when I have time, getting rusty these days..
reventon_703
There is also one thing I would like to suggest about accuracy.

Let say in a map where you make 200 combo, you make 1 OK in the 10th note with the rest all GOOD, the final accuracy would be lower than making 1OK at the 200th note. This is especially evident when playing long maps.

Not sure if this was deliberately implemented but just thought I would point this out.
Nashmun
?? The accuracy is the same if you hit 1x100 at the beggining or at the end.
Dkong64
when will the new ranking system be put up? or is there no specific date?

NoYzE
When it's done. ;)
Nashmun
Tom said one week ago he was planning on implementing the current algorithm to makes taiko pp run. So it should be delivered soon ;)
Haibanemu
Just lost around 8000 of pp. Why me?
Kurokotei

Haibanemu wrote:

Just lost around 8000 of pp. Why me?
You're not the only one.
BrokenArrow
pp is being recalculated, hang in there.
Nashmun
All hail Strangeprogram !

Topic Starter
Tom94
Umm... that was not intended. *goes and fixed weighting of lower accuracy... drastically*
Nashmun
Ok so the one who FCed this will just become insta #1 because he can spam his keyboard ? (Or maybe using 2 keyboard) . That's typically what we wanted to prevent by ignoring converted maps, because stuff like that is going to be overrated as hell. (But yeah, lower the gain of bad accuracy on insane map is already a good start)

The second big issue is that it will bring even more people cheating/using more or less legit tricks to do that kind of stuff just to earn pps.
WemadeFOX-solo
what happen with the rank? i lost a lot of pp and gain a 3% of acc, is this working as intended?
Dkong64
i dont think it was intended so we should see a fix soon enough
DestinySonata
I have a question, with this current implementation of pp, are converted maps weighed differently compared to taiko-specific still?
Yuzeyun
yes^

anyway, i feel like DTHR should be weighed much more especially on higher OD
my OD12 score on seasons of asia is beyond human like (considering accuracy gods such as zx didn't even get anything close to my acc) and yet it's nowhere mentioned in my BP
97.5% on OD12 is nearly impossible for a legitimate player
show more