forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Taiko)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Tom94
Oh wow, that's some overwhelming feedback.

Let me at first clarify how the current situation is:
  1. By far not all scores, have been processed, more than half is still more or less random.
  2. Difficulty of taiko diffs is based purely on star rating.
  3. Taiko-specific maps are worth 3 times more than converted maps.
This obviously is not a very good system as it is. The star system is arguably broken and mods aren't even taking into account.

What I plan on doing:

I'll make a difficulty calculator similar to osu!tp incorporating what you are suggesting me here. I plan on using strain values, just like in tp (see the info page for a graph) to account for note density. For color changes I am not yet sure how to tackle the problem, but I'll experiment a lot with it and let you know when I have some results.

Converted vs. Taiko-specific

I plan to test including them and present you all with a list of beatmaps together with their difficulty. If it endss up working well I don't see a reason to exclude converted maps. If it won't work they won't be included (or by a small margin).

I can't give any in-depth answers yet, since I don't quite have the time to work on anything during the next 2 weeks, but more information will follow.
Thanks again for the huge amount of information!
Luna
Oh, and I'd like to add that patterns with even numbers of notes tend to be a lot harder to play than those with an odd number of notes.
Yuzeyun

Loctav wrote:

Every pattern that is a combination of xxy/xyy patterns is easier to play than patterns of a xyx/xxx combination. (whereas x is color 1 and y is color 2) (kddkddkddk is easy. ddkkddkkddkk is easy. ddk is easy. dk kd is easy. kd kd is harder. kdkdkkkd is harder. kdk is harder. dddk is harder than ddk I don't agree with the dk kd/kd kd case when we're hitting higher BPM. I have a hard time FCing Sakura Sunrise on DT due to dk kd, but if it were dk dk I'd easily do it.

Moreover, HD and HR are equal, DT increases OD massively. HD players are having more problems on lower BPMs (due to low scrolling speed), whereas HR players are having more problems with higher BPM (due to HR causing a too fast scrolling speed). DT doesnt change scrollspeed based on SV but on BPM, but it decreases the hitwindow massively. HD+HR is impossible to read. FL+HD is memorization (you wont see ANY note at all), FL+HR is also memorization, but objectively easier (since you can at least see the notes, even if its just a short while).

Basically I see it like (vision based mods. HD/HR/FL only affect vision): (HD = HR) < HD+HR < FL < FL+HR < FL+HD < FL+HD+HR
DT is an extra factor, increasing OD and BPM and therefore should be calculated into the difficulty where note density calculations happen.

HR affects OD as well. Else, well you'd see many more HRDT scores on average BPM songs (that is 110-140 bpm range no more)
HRHD is not impossible to read, it's very tough and playable at a very limited range !
FL+HD+anything is "memorization", FL+HR is also memorization (except when BPM gets abusively low) as you have a ridiculous reading timespan.
My comments are in blue, Loctav.
Nashmun
I do not agree with your comment on HDHR @Gezo, it's only readable if you play with a widescreen resolution.
Yuzeyun
"very tough" and "very limited range"
You got room for literally one note even on wide (half a note on 4:3)
capes-
So, one thing I have to say about the taiko vs. converted argument.
If this is going to be a proper difficulty rating system, it shouldn't weight certain taiko maps based on whether they are converted or not, but on how difficult they are. Put your stance of taiko vs. converted away, because we are trying to sort them as whole, not two separate things. Whether it's full of 1/8 spam like https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=107875&m=1 , or complex patterns like most taiko maps, it's still gotta weigh as if it's still one mode.
karterfreak
capeseverywhere, if we try to sort them as a whole like you say, then converted maps are going to end up being weighted way heavier than they should be due to bad conversions leading into 1/8 spam (Mad Machine [Champion] in taiko is a good example of this).

I'm gonna let tom do his thing and try to make it work with both, but at the same time, if he can't, I'd rather he just focused on a good metric for taiko specific maps over trying to manage something that works for both.
Mithos

capeseverywhere wrote:

So, one thing I have to say about the taiko vs. converted argument.
If this is going to be a proper difficulty rating system, it shouldn't weight certain taiko maps based on whether they are converted or not, but on how difficult they are. Put your stance of taiko vs. converted away, because we are trying to sort them as whole, not two separate things. Whether it's full of 1/8 spam like https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=107875&m=1 , or complex patterns like most taiko maps, it's still gotta weigh as if it's still one mode which it is.
I agree with you here.

Another point I'd like to make is regarding certain patterns being ranked as harder/easier. Let's say we have two players, both ranked around #10000. Where Player X might have problems with ddkdd at 180 BPM, Player Y might not be able to do kkdkk at the same BPM. Neither pattern is necessarily harder than the other, but obviously Player X and Player Y are scoring well on beatmaps the other can't. The players who can do both patterns however, are the ones who should be ranked higher overall.

I believe it would be fairly easy to group certain patterns together based on the logic used in the above example. These groups of patterns would be initially ranked by how tricky they are to play at certain BPMs. After this, we can use a plethora of options to see which ones within the group should be worth more. Some possible options could include popularity of certain patterns over others in the group, overall accuracy/fail~pass rate of songs that include these patterns, etc.

The groups themselves would be something like
(ddd, ddk, dkk, kkk, kkd, kdd)
(ddddd, ddddk, dddkk, ddkkk,dkkkk, kkkkk, kkkkd, kkkdd, kkddd, kdddd)
(dd dd, dd dk, dd kk, dk kk, kk kk, kk kd, kk dd, dk dd, dk kd)
and on and on.

How we would rank the groups would be up for debate.
lolcubes

Tasha wrote:

I'm in agreement with not including converted maps or weighing them FAR less than taiko specific maps.
This.

Everyone already put many reasons already, however I just think they are broken, especially a certain convert with 2 circles and sliders for the rest, where halftime actually makes you rank higher (unless you are a damn beast hitting all the rolls at that bpm). As Nashmun said, it's risky. Just because it's hard or even fun as a convert, it's not meant to be played in taiko, so it shouldn't really be counted that much.

As for the patterns, to make it more simple, during streams, whenever you see an odd number of same color notes between even number of notes (kdddkddkdddkddk etc), I'd say it's making it really difficult. Hand switching is a pain and cheesing the pattern requires high level reading skills. Been said before, but just putting it here since I feel the same way.

As for the SV changes, that's gonna be a bitch to calculate. There are times where SV increases actually reduce difficulty. You could get a certain speed X by having BPM Y and SV of Z. The problem here is everyone is different, and some people will have it easier even if it's super slow, but you will have people who will miss everything cause it's slow. All depends where people look at the screen.
In my opinion SV should be just left out from the really complex calculation and depending on bpm just add some minor difficulty (unless the multiplier is very much different or something, I think fcing HR on this map is near impossible without DS or memorization).

But then again let's see how LunaticP's thing works after some fixing/feedback, if the star rating actually works properly without us arguing here on whats harder, that could be a good difficulty estimate as a base.
Quichey
How about making rolls and spins not count in the pp system?
From what I'm gathering, the converted maps feature far more of these.
dou888
I think the main factors of determining stream difficulties are:
length+
speed+
color changes+
rhythm changes+ (1/6mixed in 1/4s etc)
big notes+
repetition-

Using linear prediction filters(-2 -1, 0, 1, 2 for big blue, blue, none, red, big red respectively) in 1/12 rhythm intervals applied over overlapping 1/2/4 bars of map then record the error as entropy and include it in the estimation for difficulty may be worth a try (similar to Linear predictive coding).
^^really I have no idea what I'm talking about, just thought it may be fun to do.
[ Arterial ]
My take on Taiko (was around 1900 before removal)

Similar to mania, I believe that mode-specific maps should be weighed a lot more than auto-converts. Auto-converts change the map into a rhythm map, with extremely awkward timings, abrupt tempo changes, and unrealistic big notes in the middle of a stream. And again, much like mania, auto-converts don't have certain patterns which you see when you get into maps that get more difficult, for example the long streams in Shinsekai (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24634), MEPHISTO, or variations in streams like duckling (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28893) or Intersect Thunderbolt (http://osu.ppy.sh/s/38316).

Accuracy could and should be used as a good determinant in skill, as there is no further differentiation between 良 and 可.
Will edit with time.
MMzz
Standard maps aren't made in the mindset to be challenging, worthwhile, or played in taiko, except for the handful of taikosu! maps. They are made to be played in Standard. Not to mention most standard conversions are considered unrankable because of SV and finisher usage. So they don't even fit with the criteria a taiko map should have. Essentially, they are a completely different style of play from what the community considers taiko gameplay. (as shown from the long discussion of making the taiko ranking criteria.)

So, there is no reason they should be included in the taiko ranking system.

Anyways on terms of mod scaling, DT is obviously the hardest mod. Not just because of speed, but because it adds more OD to the map as well. In my opinion HR and HD are equal. HR provides slight vision impairment from higher speeds, and a big boost in the OD. While HD provides a substantially greater vision impairment that can severely effect your accuracy, even though there is no OD boost. This is based off a theoretical player who hasn't played either mod enough to get used to the differences these mods make. We all know after a while these mods become second hand.

I can't really say anything about FL because there hasn't been a breakthrough in how to play it efficiently without having a good memory or playing the song a million times to memorize it. Something that doesn't equate to raw skill in my mind.

As far as note density goes: I would like to think a ratio of notes to song length would be accurate, but every song is different and just isn't possible without over/undermapping. So basing it off something like BPM would be more accurate, in theory.
LunaticP
Factors affect the overall difficulty of a taiko map

1. OD, higher the harder you can hit

2. HP, I don't know but I think this should be included. Since you need to get a pass to submit your score....but it does not affect too much

3. Stream, or just call this the note patten.

4. BPM, yes even if you have very simple note but in high bpm they should be difficult

Example : http://osu.ppy.sh/b/179225 280 BPM but notes patten is not that difficult

5. Timing points, or the bpm change or the SV multiplier. Can affect a lot if you fill the map with green line like grass...

Example : http://osu.ppy.sh/u/242910 Trust me the link is correct.

6. Mods, I think so many big guys have explained a lot on how mods affect the map so I am not going to explain

How to deal with all these factors?

1. OD, the number can be treated as a multiplier

2. HP , same

3. Stream, now this is the important point. Stream is the core part on how we rate a taiko map. We have to discuss a lot on which patten is more difficult than another patten. But I want to say taiko stream have unlimited combination, even if you say ddkkddk is more difficult than ddddkkd it still does not have meaning to ddddkkkkd. How if a map with endless stream like Shinsekai? So how to deal with this problem? I think the key is how player read the map. In Chinese there is a term that we " Crack the map ". Which we divide a long stream into small part and play them one by one. For example I divide a long stream by 2/3/4 method. Which I try to search for 2/3/4 patten in a long stream and crack it down. I don't know how others do but that's how I do. If we can come to a conclusion on how to crack the map, there is a easy way to crack down any stream and rate it. For example we all agree that we use 3/3/3/3/3 to crack down the map, we can just divide the long stream into 3/3/3/3/3 and rate each of the 3 and add them up. In the last few 3 I think we should also raise the difficulty a bit since it is a long stream. After all, if we need to talk about stream difficulty, we have to look from a player's eyes but not a mapper.

4. BPM affect a lot, but here is what I suggest. BPM 160 - 200, no change, from that 2 number go down and up, we add the difficulty index bit by bit. For example, BPM 160 = 1.0 , and BPM 150 will = 1.05 which is the same as BPM 210. Why? Because WHAT I THINK 160 -200 is usually a comfortable zone for player.

5. Timing points, am I don't really know how to deal with those grass, can someone think of a suggestion?

6. Mods, I think we have to find some expert in each mods to ask for opinion. What I know is Orukaa CROSS PM and ZX = DT Ishida = HR asgardv = PF Nardo = FL. I think every single mod should be included, HR DT HD FL, even the perfect mod but not sudden death which gives no meaning at all. Why perfect? Because of the super high pressure , just try once you will know.

Last, I am busy in last few weeks and I think I can come back on my rater program now. Thanks for waiting. However I need help the point 3, the stream patten.

I think the best method on how to rate ALL the stream by a program is we hard code a difficulty index to 2/3/4 patten and we "crack the damn map" with program. I am creating a google form for this please wait.....
mekadon_old

Nashmun wrote:

I do not agree with your comment on HDHR @Gezo, it's only readable if you play with a widescreen resolution.
They are still readable (4:3) just like how 16:9 is. At least for me though. HRHD is much easier to manage than pure memorization just like HDFL, but you shouldn't say FL should be nerfed, since the hugest enemy FL players usually face is accuracy than the patterns itself, (also remember there's no OD change at all, and to be honest I am always amazed at people who can HRHDFL a map with over 97% accuracy) I still find HD easier than HR, maybe it's because I'm more used to HD. I have something on DT, where as long as the BPM is over <inserts BPM here, 140 for me>, extra pp should be given. I can't stand slow maps, anything below 140BPM, and I'd rather use DT with them, even with a lesser accuracy. And as for my standpoint,

DT < HR = HD < FL
As for coverted taiko vs. taiko only maps, I'd say give converted maps way lesser weights than taiko only maps. As skills increase, you can purely hit for taiko-only maps for pp instead of ranking on converted maps, as they are way easier to get ranks with. You can even get to the Top 50 even with a C rank.

As for giving weights based on patterns, how to we judge the pattern is hard or not? Different people have different playstyles, and different people have different opinions on patterns. Like me I still think dkkdkkd and kdkkdkkd is hard but dddkkkddd and kkkdddkkk is easier...

Also no matter how long the patterns are, the complexity of it still comes down by splitting them into simpler patterns.. For example, splitting a pattern like kkdddkdddkdkkkdkkkddkkd can also be split like kk dddk dddk dkkk dkkk ddkkd, which makes managing patterns easier
seasonS

Tom94 wrote:

Converted vs. Taiko-specific

I plan to weight converted maps just as much as Taiko-specific maps and present you all with a list of beatmaps together with their respective difficulty. If it ends up working well I don't see a reason to exclude converted maps. If it won't work they won't be included (or by a small margin).
I like what Tom94 says here.
Everyone else is saying "no no no make taiko specific worth much more" But, in my opinion, converts should be worth ALMOST as much as taiko specific since some can be difficult. Not all converts are great but, they shouldn't be worth too little.
Luna
I just wanted to confirm lolcubes' statement that patterns with alternating groups of even and odd numbers of notes are generally hard to play (For patterns longer than 3 notes at least). That's the most specific start for an actual algorithm you could probably use. Add in something about repetition and it should already work pretty well.
Another thing to keep in mind is that repetition on blue ticks is usually harder; for example ddkkddkkd is super simple, while dkkddkk is a lot trickier to play (still somewhat basic, but definitely way harder)
EBAWER123
I am not really sure how you want to measure difficulty of a pattern because it's silly, there are a few basic patterns to learn but not so much:

[1] d, k
[2] dd, kk, dk, kd
[3] ddd, kkk, ddk, kkd, dkd, kdk, dkk, kdd
[4] dddd, kkkk, dddk, kkkd, ddkd, kkdk, dkdd, kdkk, dkkk, kddd, dkdk, kdkd, ddkk, kkdd, dkkd, kddk
[5] all from [4] + d/k in the end

Only 62 patterns =) mania has 30 times more to say the least, not including combination of those patterns which play a much bigger role there than in taiko.

After learning to read all those patterns there is nothing more to learn about them because all streams can be divided into clusters of 1/2/3/4/5 notes, ie:

dddkkkddkkdkdkkkkdddkkdddkkkkkdkdkdkdddkdkdkkkdkdk = ddd kkk ddkk dkd kkkk ddd kk ddd kkkkk dkdkdk ddd kdkd kkk dkdk dd D

This is basic reading skill, we divide a stream into groups of usually 2/3/4, sometimes 5 or 1 if we have a finisher or a certain amount of same colour notes or we just prefer to have in mind clusters of 5 instead of 3+2/1+4/2+2+1/etc and that's all, after learning how to play each pattern, streams without BPM changes become easy to read.

Only thing that most of people hate about streams, especially on 240+ bpm streams where it takes a little bit more skill to read the stream due to the sheer speed, is even amount of notes mixed with odd amount of notes, ie:

ddddkkkddkkkddddkkkddkkddddkkkddddddkkdddkkkkddd = dddd kkk dd kkk dddd kkk dd kk dddd kkk ddd ddd kk ddd kkkk ddd (Mixed hand change)

This stream is annoying due to changing hands but again, awarding this stream more pp than these 2 is kinda biased imho:

ddddkkkkddddkkkkddkkddkkddddkkkkddkkddkkddkkddkk = dddd kkkk dddd kkkk dd kk dd kk dddd kkkk dd kk dd kk dd kk dd kk (No hand change)
dddkkkdddkkkdddkkkdddkkkdddkkkddkddkddkdddkkkddd = ddd kkk ddd kkk ddd kkk ddd kkk ddd kkk ddk ddk ddk ddd kkk ddd (All patterns w/ hand change)

Another thing that people find hard are not streams but certain patterns at high speed:

dk kk kd dk dk dk kk kd kd dk dk dd kd dk dk kd kd dk

Even though it is difficult to some people but again there are people who don't see any difficulty with this, so I don't really see the point of getting more pp when it comes to this pattern.

Another pattern-based thing is a stream with bpm changes, like this:

1/4 stream with 1/8 clusters inside but this again can be easilly calculated in your algorithm as a stream of a certain BPM which lasts for example in this map it was from 00:32:241 (302) - 00:35:321 (358) , 224 BPM base, 57 notes, of which N amount was 1/4 and M was 1/8

I am not sure which and how you will calculate this but this stream has a difficulty based on speed not really a problem with patterns. All in all I don't really see any point in giving certain patterns more "weight" than others, just calculate a length of a certain part of the song, see if it has bpm changes or not and that's all. I think it will be more fair and unbiased, because we can argue about pattern difficulty forever but it's just our opinions whether a BPM increase is always hard.
Luna
Addressing the post above:
dddkkkddkkdkdkkkkdddkkdddkkkkkdkdkdkdddkdkdkkkdkdk = ddd kkk ddkk dkd kkkk ddd kk ddd kkkkk dkdkdk ddd kdkd kkk dkdk
You can't just say that streams are nothing more than a combination of these patterns and only marginally harder than the added value of all of them.
If you split it this way, you need to keep in mind that hand switches occurr. Assuming you start the stream on your right hand, that equates to:

dddkkkddkkdkdkkkkdddkkdddkkkkkdkdkdkdddkdkdkkkdkdk = right-hand-ddd left-hand-kkk right-hand-ddkk right-hand-dkd left-hand-kkkk left-hand-ddd right-hand-kk right-hand-ddd left-hand-kkkkk right-hand-dkdkdk right-hand-ddd left-hand-kdkd left-hand-kkk right-hand-dkdk

That's a LOT more complicated than you make it sound.

/E: Fixed the right/left assignments. I messed up on a stream with unlimited time to think about it, just goes to show how easy it is to get confused on these patterns...
LunaticP
To be honest it looks like a color blind test

anyway actually different people may divide stream in different way, hard to say who is right
EBAWER123

Luna wrote:

Addressing the post above:
dddkkkddkkdkdkkkkdddkkdddkkkkkdkdkdkdddkdkdkkkdkdk = ddd kkk ddkk dkd kkkk ddd kk ddd kkkkk dkdkdk ddd kdkd kkk dkdk
You can't just say that streams are nothing more than a combination of these patterns and only marginally harder than the added value of all of them.
If you split it this way, you need to keep in mind that hand switches occurr. Assuming you start the stream on your right hand, that equates to:

That's a LOT more complicated than you make it sound.
I play full alternate and I encourage all other players to learn full alt so you won't get any problems with hand switching. While patterns are a difficulty based on a person playing and his style, it is still not that much of a factor compared to SV(Speed of your eyes), OD(Precision of your tapping), BPM(Speed of your hands), Length of a pattern(Your stamina), Length of a song(Your stamina) and mods which increase or decrease the difficulty.
- Yuuka Niya -
Something I want to say:
① OD of course higher OD means higher pp
②mod I think DT>HR=HD>FL of course. Or you can just let FL≈0.(HR+HD) should not be more than( HR)+(HD).So is HDFL and HRFL and HDHRFL
③of course Taiko only maps far more than converted maps.From pp now I think 3 times is not enough.Maybe it should be 5 timers or more.
④The difficulty of the map itself. I think this is the most important.There are many points.
(1)BPM this BPM is the REAL BPM but not what the mapper give us. For example, the big black should be calculated as 180BPM but not 360.
(2)Change of the colors. I only have a theory of calculate the difficulty of a stream.I'm trying to translate it to English.
(3)Rhythm change. 1/6+1/4 is harder than 1/4 only of course.
(4)Note density. I think this one needn't be explained.
(5)Star rate. That's really means nothing in Taiko. So many wrong examples.

if you have any questions about what I say u can ask here or just PM me.
WemadeFOX-solo
Currently the client says i have "5825pp" and im "#3658", those numbers have the new pp or is just showing the old system?
OnosakiHito
Hm. I have to agree with EBAWER123 post. I never thought in this way. That's interesting.
Luna, he is right I think. For example: ddd kkk d is nothing else than dddkkkd. You play it in the same way. Just with the difference, having a gap between a pattern.

Example:

ddkkdkddkddd kk dkd dkd
kdkkdkkdkkdk kdk kdk
ddkkddkdkddk kdd kdk

When alternaiting, you play it in the same way. One pattern just has a gap or not, that's the difference. And I think he is right with his opinion, that there shouldn't be a value for certain patterns. That was one of our biggest problems before, but in the way he mentioned it, this problem would be solved. Especially because the BPM would define what is harder or not(E.g.: BPM 240 ddddkkkkd > BPM 150 dk kd dk kd d (?)).

@WemadeFOX-solo: See it as proto-typ. It will change later for sure.
Nashmun

OnosakiHito wrote:

Hm. I have to agree with EBAWER123 post. I never thought in this way. That's interesting.
Luna, he is right I think. For example: ddd kkk d is nothing else than dddkkkd. You play it in the same way. Just with the difference, having a gap between a pattern.

Example:

ddkkdkddkddd kk dkd dkd
kdkkdkkdkkdk kdk kdk
ddkkddkdkddk kdd kdk

When alternaiting, you play it in the same way. One pattern just has a gap or not, that's the difference. And I think he is right with his opinion, that there shouldn't be a value for certain patterns. That was one of our biggest problems before, but in the way he mentioned it, this problem would be solved. Especially because the BPM would define what is harder or not(E.g.: BPM 240 ddddkkkkd > BPM 150 dk kd dk kd d (?)).

@WemadeFOX-solo: See it as proto-typ. It will change later for sure.
Yes but no, each player has it own way of dividing them. I differentiate them in a totally different manner than you and EBAWER. But I do agree with both of you that patterns shouldn't be taken in consideration for long stream, because one pattern that seems easy for a players is hard for another and vice versa.

And that take us to another argument against converted maps, because if you don't consider patterns, then maps with ddddd/kkkkk (Most common 1/4 streams in converted) will be rated harder because it will increase density.
Luna
Well, in your example (ddd kkk d) the hand movements for most players are rlr rlr r (r= right, l= left)
dddkkkd however is rlrlrlr, so the kkk is played lrl instead.
And even if you play the entire map with full alt, ddd kkk d is WAY easier to a) read, because it has the gaps and b) play, because you don't need to start some patterns (in this case the kkk) on a blue tick.
EBAWER123
All difficulties concerning patterns are superstitious, everyone has their own problems when it comes to reading patterns and playing them, but it is not possible for a machine to differentiate them. While cheking cluster length and density of notes is easy and doable.
OnosakiHito
Though, there are still some problems. We talked about this in #taiko .

For example is a ddddkkkkd stream considered as harder than dkkdkkdkkd since in your table oooo > oxx.
- - - - -_old
pp previous.
For example, someone won the #1 first and got some pp.
Secondly, someone else got the same as #1 second and got some pp.
pp that can be acquired, second #1 < first #1.
It isn't the same.
This should not.
- - - - -_old
And
I think pp earlier was excellent.
In the basic pp previous,
please fix second(third,fourth,fifth...) #1 < first #1.
It become second(third,fourth,fifth...) #1 = first #1.

And
Please BAN cheater.
ppv2 will become stable ranking.
karterfreak

- - - - - wrote:

It become second(third,fourth,fifth...) #1 = first #1.
This is the way it SHOULD be. The old way was stupid as hell because if you weren't around when the mapset was ranked, you weren't going to get #1 because you KNOW there's gonna be one player who will 100% DTHD / DT / HR / HD the song. Just because they're the first person to do it doesn't mean they should get more points for it as BOTH tied plays took equal amount of skill to perform.
TKS

OnosakiHito wrote:

Mods

Doubletime
The slower the song, the less pp you gain.
The faster the song, the more pp you gain.

Hidden
The slower the song, the more pp you gain because, you have to remember more notes for some periode of time.
The faster the song, the less pp you gain because, you have to remember less notes for some periode of time.

HardRock
The slower the song, the less pp you gain because, density becomes higher and notes are less clustered. Easier readable.
The faster the song, the more pp you gain because, the density becomes really high and hard to read.

Flashlight
Should be disabled or give no points. Too often there was a problem with this mod.
Most people do not play it and it has been often abused (HD+FL+HR). That's my opinion.

Of course, we have to take care of OD and SV here.
for mod, this is so hot to the correct answer imo.
supplementary the some my feelings.

FL made the too many player angry. we should not be a memorize the diffs. because Taiko is a rhythm game i think.
well, in some cases need the memorize. e.g. : complex stream pattern, weird rhythm by song....
but this is nothing to do with memorize for FL.
DS is too easy in taiko, FL is not an exaggeration to say mod for DS players.

HD+HR also similar to FL.
this combination is not working nearly the on taiko.
1, wide screen is so advantageous.
2, memorize must be to some extent.
3, same as FL, cause make the DS player.

anyway i fully agree to Oh no sakihito.

i omitted about hitsound patterns because subjectivity is too big.
XK2238

WemadeFOX-solo wrote:

OnosakiHito wrote:

Flashlight
Should be disabled or give no points. Too often there was a problem with this mod.
Most people do not play it and it has been often abused (HD+FL+HR). That's my opinion.
This, flashlight may be an challenge to the player but shouldn't influence in the ladder at all, people are just abusing of it to raise pp.
well, some people actually have fun through FL. It gives players with lesser raw skill (considering legit ones in this case) an opportunity to compete evenly with higher raw skill, non-FL players (although memorization itself is already a skill imo; only some people can actually do it in fewer tries than anyone else/do hardcore, non-repetitive stuffs. Take baka_baka_Koishi, for example. Regardless, it's not really raw, but still). Although I haven't tried it at all, I think it's NOT impossible to actually train your reflexes with FL, but then again it's much more tedious to train than with other mods, thus making people not go through it. Just my opinion.

EBAWER123 wrote:

The whole ranking is about becoming better, not hiding in the corner and playing only in your comfort zone. Playing higher BPM, increasing your stamina, your reading skills, trying new mods, increasing your accuracy; striving to be better - isn't this the whole point of having a higher rank than someone else?
THIS. I didn't train my accuracy, deserving me a lower rank; but trying mod combinations that other people (or, to say the most, anyone) don't/can't (talking about individual song-wise, not overall) clearly helped me raise a lot.

_Gezo_ wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Basically I see it like (vision based mods. HD/HR/FL only affect vision): (HD = HR) < HD+HR < FL < FL+HR < FL+HD < FL+HD+HR
DT is an extra factor, increasing OD and BPM and therefore should be calculated into the difficulty where note density calculations happen.

HR affects OD as well. Else, well you'd see many more HRDT scores on average BPM songs (that is 110-140 bpm range no more)
HRHD is not impossible to read, it's very tough and playable at a very limited range !
FL+HD+anything is "memorization", FL+HR is also memorization (except when BPM gets abusively low) as you have a ridiculous reading timespan.
[/color]
my agreements are highlighted in red.

LunaticP wrote:

anyway actually different people may divide stream in different way, hard to say who is right
yes, since this thing itself is obviously subjective.

- Yuuka Niya - wrote:

Something I want to say:
① OD of course higher OD means higher pp
②mod I think DT>HR=HD>FL of course. Or you can just let FL≈0.(HR+HD) should not be more than( HR)+(HD).So is HDFL and HRFL and HDHRFL

③of course Taiko only maps far more than converted maps.From pp now I think 3 times is not enough.Maybe it should be 5 timers or more.
④The difficulty of the map itself. I think this is the most important.There are many points.
(1)BPM this BPM is the REAL BPM but not what the mapper give us. For example, the big black should be calculated as 180BPM but not 360.
(2)Change of the colors. I only have a theory of calculate the difficulty of a stream.I'm trying to translate it to English.
(3)Rhythm change. 1/6+1/4 is harder than 1/4 only of course.
(4)Note density. I think this one needn't be explained.
(5)Star rate. That's really means nothing in Taiko. So many wrong examples.

if you have any questions about what I say u can ask here or just PM me.
1. But then the game will be basically accuracy-oriented instead of skill-oriented.
2. If you're talking about the score multiplier, no. As I've stated before, FL gives lesser raw-skilled players an opportunity to compete evenly with higher raw-skilled players. If you're talking about the pp, I'm fine with that, but don't nerf it that much though.

As for HDHR, it actually worths more pp, as HR also amplifies the invisibility area of HD (yes, I think that way), making it as it is now. But then again, that's just my opinion.
Nashmun
But you're an extra widescreen player, the area where you can actually see the notes is way higher than others players. Seeing only half a note IS NOT playable at all. As long as HDHR isn't fixed and playable for everyone, there is still a big issue with that mod.

About FLHD, yes we do have some legit players, but it's too easy to DS and the majority of the FLHD scores are DS. Do you prefer to advantage the non-legit plays just to reward the minority of legit plays ?
Luna
HRHD should give a small bonus to accuracy, but none to reading/pattern/whatever that factor may be called. Same for FL. DS is the obvious reason.
Or better yet, get peppy to fix HRHD; I really want to play that mod combination but my 4:3 setup makes it damn near impossible /o/
XK2238

Nashmun wrote:

But you're an extra widescreen player, the area where you can actually see the notes is way higher than others players. Seeing only half a note IS NOT playable at all. As long as HDHR isn't fixed and playable for everyone, there is still a big issue with that mod.

About FLHD, yes we do have some legit players, but it's too easy to DS and the majority of the FLHD scores are DS. Do you prefer to advantage the non-legit plays just to reward the minority of legit plays ?
well, I'm actually a 4:3 fullscreen player, but I like playing HR on that reso (and just a friendly reminder: utterly EVERYONE can adjust the reso like I did without having more than ONE monitor). Yeah, the "half a note" thing is really bugging, and people wouldn't even try to adjust their monitor's brightness/contrast/both for that. My (own) suggestion is to increase the visibility by a bit (not large enough to make Taiko scoreboards look like STD's), although we don't know if that will ever be implemented.

2nd line: I'd rather not, but I do have few things in mind:
1. Make osu! so that it can track the total number of plays for each song, even in offline/Autoplay? And more specifically, separate numbers of online, offline, and Auto plays? (mentioned Auto since some players memorize from the Autoplay (this guy, for example))

2. FL-specific: Set some kind of threshold of number of plays (like the above number 1) in each map, so that any number below that threshold can be assured as DS?
^ I do realize that it's nearly impossible, but once it is done right, voila. Of course, a formula must be present in order to achieve this one, although I haven't thought anyhow.

3. Make osu! so that it automatically ends/fails a play if it reaches an amount of X consecutive misses, especially if it's from the first note? Take X = 30 notes, for example. Note that this effectively applies only to Taiko since all the other game modes fail immediately when the HP's empty.

I think that's all I can say for now; got a bit exhausted from homework.
LunaticP
Just to say , this guy play a lot of easy and normal converted map with FL
Luna
Easy and Normal conversions are pretty damn irrelevant.
That's like saying FL is an easy mod in standard because you can sightread Easy diffs with it.
TKS
osu!taiko compete for the "memorize skill"!
ahhh im so noob.... yes..

..yeah, this is wrong.
- Yuuka Niya -

TKSalt wrote:

osu!taiko compete for the "memorize skill"!
ahhh im so noob.... yes..

..yeah, this is wrong.
can't agree more XD

and I think to calculate the difficulty, note density and OD is enough..what do u think TKS?
show more