forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
uzzi

Kim wrote:

Why hello there everyone!

Yes I indeed came here to rant about how it's possbile to lose rank although I gained more acc/points on a map :D
After reading the latest comments, a lot of what I had in my mind has been answered so... thank you for that! :)

But... if it meanwhile is a common thing that players only happen to see their rank dropping after playing a map, wouldn't it be neat if we could see the gain of pp as welll when finishing a beatmap? -or lose of course if it's decreasing.

Greets~
There was an approved feature request asking for this from a few years ago (iirc.)
Kim

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

There was an approved feature request asking for this from a few years ago (iirc.)
Thanks for the answer!

Do you know what had happened to the request?
timemon
I came with this crappy idea. idk if it's already suggested or not.

What if pp calculates the score instead of highest combo?
While a FC will remain the same the non FC will be less punishing
for example
The max combo is 1000 1000x is the max score (FC)
If you were to get 500x combo 2 times (combo broken in the middle of the map) the current system would only count the highest combo which is 500x
But with the score 500x combo 2 times would be worth more score and it might be equal to that of higher combo counts (like 700x or something Idk how to math) and you get 700x combo of pp

This way a choke in the middle of the map will be less depressing.
And I have no clue about this kind of this stuff so feel free to correct my stupidness.
Yuudachi-kun
If you calculate score then 100s near the end of a long combo will be more devastating than at the beginning.
DroidBass
I'm not sure, but I just have a kind of complaint from too imcomplete ranks with extremely high accuracy and high OD. I'm not right that pp from accuracy should be completely independant from maximun combo lenght. For an example, I know of someone that has Our Stolen Theory - United (L.A.O.S Remix) with 99.47% accuracy but only 1530's maximun combo.

Using tillerino I find that this rank is as worth as the 96.50% FC. And we can see this fact happening:
a) 1530/2275 combo at 99.47% accuracy +6 misses is worth as 270 pp
b) 2275/2275 combo at 96.50% accuracy is aswell worth as 270 pp

What I'm seing from there?
I have nothing againist high accuracy players, but come on, I would find rasonable if you reward these that can complete maps or are close to complete these maps. On an OWC match the 96.50% is worth as a lot more of score and more useful for your country than that 99.47% with several misses but 99.47% accuracy.

If you find that is an issue aswell, I think I have a rasonable solution for this:
a) guess that FC/FC has an accuracy value of 1.00 times the maximun pp from accuracy.
b) now imagine if by using square root of 1/2 of FC to give it a 0.7071... times the maximun pp from accuracy.
c) this would mean that his close to 2/3's of combo is wort h as 0.8160 times the total pp from accuracy, that's over 80% all pp from accuracy.

Because ... honestly... this only happens on OD8 maps or higher that have too many circles, that accuracy is the only mean of the rank, meanwhile FC is worthless compared to extreme accuracy tries with several misses.
silmarilen

ReynBolt wrote:

What I'm seing from there?
I have nothing againist high accuracy players, but come on, I would find rasonable if you reward these that can complete maps or are close to complete these maps. On an OWC match the 96.50% is worth as a lot more of score and more useful for your country than that 99.47% with several misses but 99.47% accuracy.
multiplayer looks at score, the whole reason why pp was implemented in the first place was because score was not a good measurement of skill. let's not go back in time.
owc looks at something completely different than what pp does, using what's happening there as any indication of how much pp a map should give is just not logical.
99.47% is on a whole different level of skill than 96.50%, i think it's more than reasonable that a non-fc 99.47% would give the same pp as an fc 96.50%.

combo should not be used for determining how much accuracy pp you get because the two things are unrelated. accuracy looks at how accurate you are by time, while combo looks at how accurate you are by position.
Endaris
He got a lot of pp cause his combo was still decently high. Combo has a linear scaling iirc therefore he already got a decent amount of combo pp.
If he got 3 750 Combos your pp would be a lot lower. Misses are also detrimental for pp but with only 2 of them on such a long map it doesn't have a huge impact.
The question in terms of pp is also:
How likely is the 96,5% player to replicate the FC? He isn't cause he obviously show inconsistency on various spots that will probably cause him to miss on such a long map. The 99,47% player is highly consistent so he should have no problems to get a play of similar quality without much effort even though he might choke on a different spot than before. Therefore the pp awarded seem fair and square for me.
Yuudachi-kun
I don't think you can call 96.5% inconsistant - some people are just worse at acc.
jesse1412
There's no point trying to balance aim/speed/acc pp anymore. It's the best it's going to get for a while. When aim/speed/acc are split apart again we can begin to find (and fix) flaws.
DroidBass

Endaris wrote:

He got a lot of pp cause his combo was still decently high. Combo has a linear scaling iirc therefore he already got a decent amount of combo pp.
If he got 3 750 Combos your pp would be a lot lower. Misses are also detrimental for pp but with only 2 of them on such a long map it doesn't have a huge impact.
The question in terms of pp is also:
How likely is the 96,5% player to replicate the FC? He isn't cause he obviously show inconsistency on various spots that will probably cause him to miss on such a long map. The 99,47% player is highly consistent so he should have no problems to get a play of similar quality without much effort even though he might choke on a different spot than before. Therefore the pp awarded seem fair and square for me.

I know players that are very consistent in combo but not in accuracy. These oftenly shine on multiplayers more than these that have massive accuracy but at missing oftenly. You can't judge anyone's constancy just because of the accuracy he has got because there are 99% players that lose combo every 300 combo on a 5.25 stars maps but they're still doing them with 99% accuracy; apart there are lucky accuracy tries aswell; people can get lucky accuracy alike at combo and I think a good rank should be someting between good accuracy and good combo.

For an example, you can rush for FC on maps like Rungran - d.m.c (Band Ver.) [Insane] by just doing a 88.50% F ; this time the more accuracy you have on that map the more equilibrated is the rank in terms of pp.

Rungran - d.m.c (Band Ver.) [Insane] specifications:
bpm: 180 ; stars 5.39 ; AR9 CS4 OD7, 341 circles & 76 circles.

When you're 2000 pp rank player and then you do that FC you gain between 40 and 60 pp commonly with a 88-91% FC, but as you retry and retry again the map, you need to get likely +2-3% acc to get around 3-4 pp considering it's weighted at 100% because being your first rank. Compared to DT plays in which you can get up to 7-15 pp's for only 1% whole accuracy in comparation.

The fact is, there are maps that are OP from FC (mainly OD7 maps with too much stars) and others that scale too much from accuracy and these "free accuracy farm maps" in which the more accuracy you gain from there the more overrated the rank is (happens at OD9-OD9.67 DT's maps between 100-190 pp level ranks). And if you compare these from nomod or HR similar pp level play you will find these 2 are both harder than the DT one.

so this means:
case a) : the more accuracy you do on that map, the more equilibrated is in terms of pp and the less overrated is.
case b) : the more accurady you get from that map, the more overrated you make that rank.
Endaris
So what is your issue?
Might be the case that you can get better acc than you usually would but if getting high acc is so easy why wouldn't you just get high acc?
Imo it's fair and square that accuracy has a decent value in a rhythm game and when someone whose strength is accuracy and someone whose strength is holding combo get the same award I find that pretty much legit. Especially since your "drop at every 300 combo" doesn't apply to the initial example you gave.

Also why the hell are you suddenly talking about DT? This was never part of the discussion before. Especially since you seem to be happily abusing this acc-festival.
88% FCs are kind of rare by the way as this acc is so low that it always involves shaky control. I don't see a 2k pp player FC that.
DroidBass
Ehm... you're right, there was no reasson to mention about DT topic... but I guess we can continue about the powerful nomod FC's that are oftenly seen in low pp's players. well I've seen cases of players at 1600 global pp doing a 98 pp rank at rungran with around 400's combo and some 2000-2400 pp friends of mine that has rungran aswell with 89-92% FC accuracy. Rungran is a commonly pp'ed map at 1600-2600 pp players. So yes, I have proofs that players of a wide range can do this map :P

You have these 3 cases of friends of mine that when they were 1900-2100 pp they made dmc rungran FC with A and one that at 1679 had almost done FC on it. So I would not underrate the power of low pp players that with retries can rank a 550's combo on an extra map that is built mainly on long streams. Long streams map combo are practically shorter in time lenght than a map built of 550 combos out of jumps. The shorter a map is, the more tryhardable is, that is why I know some 2000 pp players can even FC dmc rungran if they tryhard it enough.

A similar case happens with 07th Expansion - rog-unlimitation in which some players at 2800-3300 pp can do aswell a 88-91% FC on there gaining an almost 200 pp rank.

SPOILER
Player profiles that pp'ed rog unlimitation
92.34% A FC [3364 pp player]
90.61% A FC [3165 pp player]

Both of these maps are OD7 wtih high stars from streams with spacing, and both are commonly done by unexpectively low pp players.

So there is another map in which low acc FC is common and grants more than decent pp. Well yes I can't do this second one to be honest, but I see this commonly on people's best performance. Seems that a large group of people have no real problems about doing long streams wtih that spacing with CS3, I'm unsure on what to think about the pp efficiency of that map ... it's nothing easy but it's too commonly seen even on people at below 3000 pp, because the 2 friends of mine did rog unlimitation when they were a bit smaller than 3000 pp.

So ... if its true that 99% acc high OD is the most common way to have best perforamnces, it's commonly seen that some people don't need accuracy at all to make their ranks and if you expect that skill is lineally relationated to accuracy you're wrong. Likely we see DT or nomod maps that we see too often on people's best performance with 99% acc there are a group of low acc FC maps that we can see sometimes aswell and that MANY people have complaints againist these maps aswell, mostly talking about dmc rungran in which some people hates the much pp it gives to themselves.

But yes, this kind of player is not rare, but we have to admit that DT high accuracy players are most common for a group of reassons that some people on this topic have already talked about this.
Endaris
But low-acc FCs give a decent award just like you stated with two examples.
Are they underrewarded? I think not.
OD has an exponential scaling but a scaling that just ENDS at some point. So the difference in accuracy has to be huge to make up a huge difference in combo which seems fair for me.
DroidBass
I would say that they are not underrated on some nomod maps, mostly acesible at OD7 maps with high spaced streams, but they are rarely seen on other kind of maps.

The thing that I do not like is that accuracy is completely independant of map's level. This makes some weird exceptions doing unexpected high pp, more than maps with 1 more whole star at SS. Don Omar ft. Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro [Experto] is a map that with DT has OD9.67 and 4.25 stars ... a very strange case of a map with too low stars but such OD. FOLiACETATE - Heterochromia Iridis [Another] is an difficult another map of 223 bpm streams, anoying reversals and theorical star level of 5.25 stars but OD7.

Well the case is this:

Case a) Don Omar ft. Lucenzo - Danza Kuduro [Experto] +DT
has 4.25 stars, 195 bpm, AR9.67, OD9.67 & CS4, contains 223 circles & 175 sliders

Case b) FOLiACETATE - Heterochromia Iridis [Another]
has 5.25 stars, 223 bpm, AR9, OD7 & CS4, contains 361 circles & 213 sliders

maps pp ranges by tillerino (because too much lag I can't upload images this time)

For case a)
95% = 82 pp
98% = 117 pp
99% = 143 pp
100% = 185 pp

For case b)
95% = 143 pp
98% = 156 pp
99% = 165 pp
100% = 178 pp

Observations:
1.- Meanwhile a) value is "trash" from FC, it's massive OD scaling ends beating b) which is a much harder map overall.
2.- map a) gives as much pp at 99% acc as map b) but with 95% acc.
3.- Elements distribution (again)
a) contains 223 circles & 175 sliders
b) contains 361 circles & 213 sliders

Toughts
Well, map b) is very bitch to FC because anoying reversals, unconfortable positions at some circles and it is even difficult to FC for players over 4500 pp. map a) is just hard to accurate, any player that has enough aim to FC an Hard +DT can do map a) with FC and with retries can gradually rise his accuracy on map a). Result is that a much more wide range of players (even ME! at 4436 pp) can gain pp from this 4.2 stars map. Meanwhile players of even higher rank than mine have real difficulties to FC map b) for a worthless amount of pp.

That's how OD is OVERRATED (more than just "accuracy is op"). I have nothing more to say.
Endaris
The actual mapdesign and complexity is much more important.
I also thought we weren't talking about DT?

Anyway, enjoy SSing this for massive 286pp:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/290040
E m i

ReynBolt wrote:

Well, map b) is very bitch to FC because anoying reversals, unconfortable positions at some circles and it is even difficult to FC for players over 4500 pp
right, things that pp doesn't take into account. if anything, it makes the map b underrated, not the map a overrated.
DroidBass

Endaris wrote:

argggg 138 bpm streams is too hard!!! ... seriusly the more far to 185-225 bpm the harder is it to me!!! (regardless if it's slower or faster than the given range)
silmarilen

ReynBolt wrote:

The thing that I do not like is that accuracy is completely independant of map's level.

silmarilen wrote:

acc should be a function of map complexity, not just of map length and od. too bad there dont seem to be any ways to do that.
Endaris

ReynBolt wrote:

Endaris wrote:

argggg 138 bpm streams is too hard!!! ... seriusly the more far to 185-225 bpm the harder is it to me!!! (regardless if it's slower or faster than the given range)
Please don't act like the bpm is your problem. It's the technical complexity and high OD that keeps you from getting anything close to good acc on it.
Reyvateil

Endaris wrote:

> thelewa did 99%

I pass.
Yauxo
Short: Can the PP algorhythm spot Sliders which are hit too early (100) but still give full points (300) and take that in consideration when PP'ing?

I was wondering about a few things today and wanted to ask following;

- Is the PP calculated with the replay sent to the server or "just the score"?
- In case of replay, does the replay save the Sliderhits in a value which is usable for the PP algorhythm (ex. Slider gave 300, but the initial hit was in the 100 area (xy ms off the actual timing)?

If yes, I was wondering if it'd be able to take "300 Sliders with a hit on 100/50 window" in consideration and adjust the PP with that.

From time to time I see post about Sliders being to easy as theyre a guaranteed 300. ppy wont change this as it's just too big of a deal, it'd change too much in all the (leaderboard-)scores we have now. Can the PP algorhythm spot these faulty 100 Sliders?
Because I think that that'd kinda solve the problem to some extend, as people dont really care about their actual scores, but rather about their PP. That's just my view though.
GhostFrog
Replay data isn't used, no. Just combo, accuracy, and 300s/100s/50s/misses. Even if pp could be calculated based off of replay data for new scores (and that would significantly increase the time required for calculation, which is already pretty long because of the ridiculous number of scores in existence), replay data isn't saved for current scores that aren't top x, so it couldn't be applied retroactively.
Yauxo
I see, that kills the idea then. Thanks for the answer
jesse1412
I think that was the longest time that this thread hasn't been posted in since it was made.
Yauxo

jesus1412 wrote:

I think that was the longest time that this thread hasn't been posted in since it was made.
I broke it, rip wr
Vuelo Eluko
dead game
I Give Up
I wish pp scoring was acc based like mania or at least acc based pp and with some combo bonus pp. never gonna happen :{
jesse1412

KukiMonster wrote:

I wish pp scoring was acc based like mania or at least acc based pp and with some combo bonus pp. never gonna happen :{
That would be quite retarded, combo > all.
E m i
miss count plz
Reyvateil

jesus1412 wrote:

That would be quite retarded, combo > all.
specially for you :')
-Makishima S-
Combo -> Acc

When acc/speed pp split?
DT-sama

KukiMonster wrote:

Mania doesn't have an aim component like osu does so combo is irrelevant there.
TheLeviathan
Hello guys,so i might get somehing wrong but... I just finished a map with full combo, map that was weighted 111 pp and in my top ranks list i see that map on my #1 place, and it's weighted 100% (111 pp). But i didn't got 111 pp to my score, i got something like 30 or maybe little bit mor. So what i got wrong about PP system?
jesse1412

TheLevitian wrote:

Hello guys,so i might get somehing wrong but... I just finished a map with full combo, map that was weighted 111 pp and in my top ranks list i see that map on my #1 place, and it's weighted 100% (111 pp). But i didn't got 111 pp to my score, i got something like 30 or maybe little bit mor. So what i got wrong about PP system?
Weightage system

For transparency on how your final pp is calculated, pp gained from the beatmap is given along with weight (% of eligible pp to be gained for final pp). Only your highest pp score's beatmap gives you full pp. Other scores' pp values will be multiplied with decreasing percentage. The percentage is always rounded to the next whole number for displaying, but for calculations it is not. For example a score can be weighted by 0.48% despite the display saying "0%". If n is the amount of scores giving more pp than a given score, then the score's weight is 0.95^n .
It follows, that your total pp is computed as follows. Let PP contain each score's pp value. PP[i] denotes the ith score's pp value, sorted decreasingly, where i goes from 1 to n, and n is the amount of scores you have.
Total pp = PP[1] * 0.95^0 + PP[2] * 0.95^1 + PP[3] * 0.95^2 + ... + PP[n] * 0.95^(n-1)
Click for an example of the formula usage (scroll down to see the example).
There is also bonus pp based on the number of ranked maps you have a score on. The bonus is:
416.6667 (1- 0.9994^Number_of_scores).
laeamminlakana
I haven't seen anyone talk about patterns and "reading" pp so I'm gonna make a post real quick about them.
Please remember that I have very little information on the topic of pattern's pp values as I only read like 6 of the last pages and have vague memories of reading the first 30 or so, and they said that pattern recognition is a thing of the distant future...

So after thinking a lot about patterns that are more difficult than others I've come to some conclusions and I'll post them here.
First, overlaps are increasingly hard to read/play as AR and CS get lower
Second, if fast (160+ 1/4 bpm) snapping between 70° and 180° hasn't been given any proper value yet, it deserves some.
Third, jumps Are hardest at 180°, 90° and 0° there should be a small increase in value for each of these, linearly falling to the default value where the halfway points(i.e. 45° and 135°). I guess the value increase should also not be too large, like at max 1,1 times higher aim value for jumps like these
Fourth, Jump sets where combo changes deserve some extra value, as I personally, and most likely a lot of other people too, rely on followpoints when reading jumps. (Granted, maps where combo changes aren't logical shouldn't make it to ranking, thus making this nigh irrelevant on the topic of pp)

Just typing out some of my thoughts on map difficulty values, I'm sure I missed a ton of points I've thought of during my personal performance evaluation system planning.
Kert

Brimroth wrote:

t/331848
dung eater

Brimroth wrote:

p/3553419 there's been a lot of talk, but nothing done about it

if there was an easy way (easy to find, stuffed to your face) to get all the circle/slider positions and timings for several maps and just write an algorhitm to calculate stuff i think people would experiment with pattern and other difficulty calculation stuff more
death_bestow
I really hate how I can beat my score and get a lower PP value than the lower score. How and why is this possible, and can it be changed to take your highest pp attempt rather than your highest score?
Granger
It can and theres work being done for this; in the future you'll have multiple "ranked" plays for each mod but only your highest PP one contributes to your PP total. (if i remember correctly)
xJFx
my only complain is that I've been correcting some songs that I had in C because I couldnt play them properly at that moment, but it has happened that I get a better rank and accuracy in the song and my global accuracy drops...I dont get it...
show more