forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Keeby
Has the idea of keeping ARs separate been considered? (in terms of pp). I think it would be interesting. Perhaps it takes less skill to master lower ARs, but I think a better osu! player should be able to play a wide range of ARs. I honestly can't do AR8.5 or lower without some practice. Same with AR10...

I'm only saying this because AR8 is basically outdated now. I think it's another form of reading, lol. Lower AR seems discouraged with high star difficulty (all the AR8s are pretty much 3 stars, but the AR8s that have high star difficulty are crazy) and we haven't generally accepted many AR10s yet, but I'm expecting there to be more in the future. (In which case, there is a huge difference between reading AR9 and 10).
Drezi

haha5957 wrote:

1) Best scores not being the best performance achieved IS a problem, and it's coming from using old score system to determine the best score. This makes no sense and obviously decreases the true meaning of pp rank system that tries to measure true stkill and not very-combo centered, but fortunatly is extremely easy fix.
2) Now, the star diff being little off from what it really feels like, especially with high SV maps and complex rhythm maps, comes from different issue, most likely being pp not taking rhythm complexity and slider paths(I guess).
The reason the first issue hasn't been solved yet is because plain logic doesn't always apply to programming challenges. It might seem like a trivial task on paper, but there might be several issues stopping them from fixing it easily. You can be sure that if it was all that simple Tom would have already fixed it that way (storing two performances, both highest score and highest pp, or the highest pp one only).

Right now what's in the works is storing one performance per mod combination, and that looks like a less efficient way, and doesn't solve the 'better accuracy/sliderbreak plays being overwrited' issue either, still I doubt he'd be working on that if a simpler and better alternative was feasible.

The second issue has many aspects to it, rhythm complexity being one, and we're discussing possible improvements in that regard right now.
PepsiCat
littlederp
koromo

PepsiCat wrote:

why did my pp just disappeared i don't get it and my rank got up of no reason. the thing is like when i checked at osu.ppy.sh its i have 2pp but when i start osu! it says i have 215pp. Can someone please explain why this happend.
You were looking at your taiko stats.
EroPudding
Can someone explain to me how the PP system work. like i did this song http://puu.sh/ctlUn/00c27abbfe.jpg and i didn't get any PP and the song didn't even get in my top ranks as it should have because its a 4.8 stars song. am i missing out on someting important here or. i'm a bit confused ATM
Nyxa

MisakaCandy wrote:

Can someone explain to me how the PP system work.
t/181850
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points
Full Tablet

MisakaCandy wrote:

Can someone explain to me how the PP system work. like i did this song http://puu.sh/ctlUn/00c27abbfe.jpg and i didn't get any PP and the song didn't even get in my top ranks as it should have because its a 4.8 stars song. am i missing out on someting important here or. i'm a bit confused ATM
That play seems to be pretty average for someone in your rank. If that map had higher OD and you had that same accuracy percentage or higher, then you would have got more pp (most easy DT maps that have a star rating similar to that map are OD7, so they have timing windows similar to OD9 no-mod).
Nyxa
You also shouldn't really associate stars with the amount of pp gained. If you read back 15 pages there should be a post of mine complaining about star ratings not reflecting pp gain at all, and then Tom explaining that it's to do with the upper physical difficulty of the map - excluding shit like AR and OD. Really, just read the thread before asking questions.
silmarilen

MisakaCandy wrote:

excuse me?
Nyxa
So what's happening to all the rhythm complexity issues and suggestions? Are they just gonna be ignored?
Fanty
So I just improved one of my top scores, the total pp it's worth went up from 108 to 115 (Sakuzyo - Neurotoxin on my userpage), I improved the accuracy and combo. But somehow I ended up losing 14 of my total pp. I'd like to know how. I didn't use any mods and yes this is standard osu!.
silmarilen
most likely a qualified map you played got unranked
Fanty
"Got unranked"? 0_o
Vuelo Eluko

Fantyful wrote:

"Got unranked"? 0_o
Got unranked.
Drezi
But this isn't a "why did I lose 4 pp, please halp" thread, it's feedback and suggestions..
Fraudo
I made a thread here on the topic of complexity and the pp and star rating systems.

Basically, I talked over some issues that have to deal with what makes a map hard aside from the physical aspects like speed and aim, and would appreciate any discussion and feedback over in that thread. Just posting here for visibility and so that it can be noted as a feedback/suggestion related to the current system.
Woobowiz
While Accuracy is important for the core of osu, I feel like some maps are severely underrated because of that importance, namely No-mod and anything between OD 7 and 8. The gap in pp between 99% and 100% is tremendous for a lot of maps. The gap between 98% and 99% is not as huge, but it's a stupid large gap nonetheless.

Examples include :

and many more...

There aren't any good no-mod examples because they all give underwhelming amounts of pp anyways simply because of their lower OD or they're OD 9 or really difficult maps.

Also~ I feel like FC's on maps that are 230+ bpm get underrated too, because speed and aim only really scale linearly while accuracy apparently scales non-linearly.
Laacis
Hi,
this is my first time posting in osu forums so don' t get mad If I posted in the wrong section.

My issue is that I got more pp for better accuracy but no FC and lost pp when I got FC and about -0.5% on the accuracy https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/2249414
The original pp that I got for the S rank with the 354 combo was about 74 and I got about 68 for the one with FC and 98,85 accuracy.

Is the accuracy really accounted that much in pp that slider breaks in the middle don't change the pp? Or is it supposed to be like that because slider breaks don't count as misses?
GhostFrog
Well, there are competing forces at work here...

-Your aim and speed pp for a map get multiplied by (your combo/max combo)^.8. In this case, that meant you got just about 80% of the aim and speed pp for your 345 combo play.
-Accuracy pp increases faster the closer you get to 100%. When you're around 99%, this can be a big deal. Notice that 98.85 is nearly twice the accuracy loss (well, one and two thirds times) as 99.31%.

In this case, with the map being 3.57stars and effectively OD8.33 with DT, the accuracy component of the pp is pretty noticeable. Apparently enough so that losing 20% of your aim and speed pp wasn't enough to compensate for the acc loss. So I guess the short answer is "yes, accuracy is in fact represented that much in pp (in this case, at least)." It's also worth noting that if you'd gotten a miss instead of a slider break it would have multiplied your aim and speed pp by .97, which still wouldn't have made your 345 combo play worth less, though the increased acc loss from a miss vs a 100 might have done it.

I would say this thread desperately needs an FAQ section to handle questions like this, but most people just post new threads instead of checking this one so I guess that wouldn't be so useful...
Laacis

GhostFrog wrote:

Well, there are competing forces at work here...

-Your aim and speed pp for a map get multiplied by (your combo/max combo)^.8. In this case, that meant you got just about 80% of the aim and speed pp for your 345 combo play.
-Accuracy pp increases faster the closer you get to 100%. When you're around 99%, this can be a big deal. Notice that 98.85 is nearly twice the accuracy loss (well, one and two thirds times) as 99.31%.

In this case, with the map being 3.57stars and effectively OD8.33 with DT, the accuracy component of the pp is pretty noticeable. Apparently enough so that losing 20% of your aim and speed pp wasn't enough to compensate for the acc loss. So I guess the short answer is "yes, accuracy is in fact represented that much in pp (in this case, at least)." It's also worth noting that if you'd gotten a miss instead of a slider break it would have multiplied your aim and speed pp by .97, which still wouldn't have made your 345 combo play worth less, though the increased acc loss from a miss vs a 100 might have done it.

I would say this thread desperately needs an FAQ section to handle questions like this, but most people just post new threads instead of checking this one so I guess that wouldn't be so useful...
Thanks for the quick reply, but still 120 less combo in a 460 combo map is really significant. Well anyways guess I have to get my accuracy up.
Thanks again.
Ace3DF
I don't get how (for example) a song with 1000 objects; 990x combo (slider brake) with 40 100s (no misses or 50s) score would get (for example) 200pp while 2 500x combos (slider brake midway) with only 2 100x and no misses/50s get you 150pp.
mad
Rewben2

Ace3DF wrote:

I don't get how (for example) a song with 1000 objects; 990x combo (slider brake) with 40 100s (no misses or 50s) score would get (for example) 200pp while 2 500x combos (slider brake midway) with only 2 100x and no misses/50s get you 150pp.
mad
Yeah, I posted this same idea once because I had a 1 miss unlimitation play that wasn't in my top performance, whereas if I didn't miss it would have been my top play. It's because the pp system is meant to somewhat reflect on the scoring system, so getting low max combo penalises the pp of a score heavily.
Nyxa
This was posted in the mania thread so I figured I'd quote it here for relevance.

Tear wrote:

There's one very simple change that would makes all modes of osu fun, addictive and still rewarding:

Disable pp weighting.

Let it accumulate as you play. Even if you didn't do your best, you still get a few points. Unlike score, pp goes up exponentially so lowdiff farming would be severely reduced.
"But I can just play all the easies in the game for #1!" And pros can play all the insanes for #1, what's your point?
Any attempt to make an objective skill rating is doomed to fail, so why not make the game fun instead? Note that pp without weighting is identical to DJ Points in LR2 and IIDX. Also note that my solution does not render Tom's work obsolete at all, pp as a measure of a score's worth is still used to reward skill and make you go up faster than playing easier stuff.
Honestly I agree. The idea that you can not only objectively measure, but also quantize and compare each player's total amount of skill against one another is... Well, ineffective and inefficient.

First of all, with all the mods out there, it's really hard to compare. Does a 90% Big Black HR FC require more skill than an FL SS on the same map? Some will say yeah and some will say no - there's no real consensus on what requires more skill than the other, especially considering that most people tend to be biased with their ideas of skill (people who are good at streaming calling steams overrated, people who are good at jumping calling jumps overrated, every human being to play this game calling DT overrated) and thus their suggestions will always be in favor of their bias.

I think it'd be a good idea to drop the weighting entirely, or at least make it so that all the scores that are visible in your top performances (the top 100 or so) are weighted 100%, and scores start scaling down to 0 after that. This game is rapidly losing its fun factor due to it being too stressful to actually make any kind of progress. I remember when I FCd an Insane with HDHR for 99.17% worth 167pp and 2pp got added to my total. That was fucking depressing, especially considered that a day before I got +1pp for not even FCing a Hard with EZ while playing multi with lower ranked friends.

Osu is still a game and games reward you for your performances, NOT for your skill. Yes - this means that someone with 200 average performances should be ranked higher than someone with 10 absurd performances. That's simply how games, and rankings work. I've never seen any ranking that was based off of skill anywhere. If you're a boxer, you could be the most talented boxer in the world - if someone happens to hit your soft spot and knocks you out, you'll lose and they'll be placed higher than you - regardless of how good they are. It's that simple. We need to stop chasing after some kind of ideal of ranking skill because that's impossible. Even if skill were measurable, it's a variable thing. There are days where I play really really good and days where I play really, REALLY bad. I've repeatedly outplayed 3 digit players in multi in the past - consistently beating them at beatmaps of their own skill level - and I've also had my ass handed to me by 5 digit players on some really bad days. It all depends, it's not a constant thing which can be measured nor are one's past performances an actual reflection of their skill.

Even attempting to do this doesn't lead to much good. The only thing we've wound up with is overly inflated maps that some people can do easily and others can't do at all. I've done stuff harder than Koigokoro while I can't do Koigokoro at all. Yet my friends who can't do the stuff I did are ranked higher just because they can do it. So, really, what kind of "skill" ranking is it when your skill is measured by very specific maps (in particular ones with long spaced streams or with jump spam - regardless of how hard these actually are to play)?

I'm sure that a bunch of people will jump out with counterarguments but you can't deny that every other game in existence will reward you for every performance in some way or the other while osu only rewards you if you FC the Big Black with DTFL during an earthquake while finding the cure for AIDS and arguing with your girlfriend about why she doesn't look fat in that dress.
Rewben2
There's so much I can say about this...

Tear wrote:

Any attempt to make an objective skill rating is doomed to fail
Yes, so what if we can't achieve a perfect system? We can get a good system that somewhat accurately determines the skill level of players. It works quite well at the moment, anyways. I wouldn't call the current system a failure.

Tear wrote:

why not make the game fun instead?
News flash, you can play the game however you want and choose to not pay attention to pp! Not to mention that there is ALREADY a ranked score ladder that some players actually try and rank on, like shaneoyo. https://osu.ppy.sh/p/playerranking

Tess wrote:

This game is rapidly losing its fun factor due to it being too stressful to actually make any kind of progress.
I don't get this point like the quote above. You are under absolutely no obligation to care about your pp rank or try to earn ranks. If you choose to do that, that's your decision. The only "stress" here is stress created by yourself by caring about progressing. You can choose to "progress" by other means like ranked score if you want. Forcing other people to follow this by making it the main ranking system doesn't seem valid.

Tess wrote:

Osu is still a game and games reward you for your performances, NOT for your skill.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. A game being based on how well you perform is the case for a lot of games. League, cs:go, sc2. dota, your boxing analogy, w/e. It's how well you can consistently perform, correct? I hope I understand what you're saying right. The thing is, how on earth does a ranking system based off how many scores you have support this idea of how well you can consistently perform? It doesn't any more than the current ppv2 system. It just means you play more and set more scores.

If you mean your past performances and not in a consistency sense, then isn't that exactly what the current system is doing? It only takes your PERFORMANCES into account, nothing else. Having better performances from being more skilled only makes sense.

Tess wrote:

So, really, what kind of "skill" ranking is it when your skill is measured by very specific maps (in particular ones with long spaced streams or with jump spam - regardless of how hard these actually are to play)?
This is not a problem with the concept of the system, this is a problem with how the current system functions. It's still being improved.
silmarilen

Tess wrote:

text
this basically means going back to score ranking and goes against the whole idea of pp
Duckpan
Is my user profile bugged or something? whenever I get pp on my account I just get one pp. I just went from 629 to 630 pp after this song:
"RhythmHolic - GLP Dubstep Intro [Normal] +HR,DT,FL (100.00%)
10 minutes ago
27pp
weighted 60% (16pp) "

And it clearly says i got 16 pp, but I only got one.. It has been like this with several other songs aswell. Getting kinda tired of this only one pp thing. :cry:
Nyxa

silmarilen wrote:

Tess wrote:

text
this basically means going back to score ranking and goes against the whole idea of pp

Tear wrote:

Also note that my solution does not render Tom's work obsolete at all, pp as a measure of a score's worth is still used to reward skill and make you go up faster than playing easier stuff.
Also Duckpan that is because of scaling, which I requested be disabled or altered in my post earlier.
Duckpan
How does the scaling work? I just did a beatmap on insane:
Dormir - Sayonara Trip [Insane] (87.28%)
5 minutes ago

28pp
weighted 66% (18pp)

and I got 2pp.. :/
Full Tablet

Duckpan wrote:

How does the scaling work? I just did a beatmap on insane:
Dormir - Sayonara Trip [Insane] (87.28%)
5 minutes ago

28pp
weighted 66% (18pp)

and I got 2pp.. :/
That map got you ~18pp, but also made 'all maps you played that gave less pp than that' give you 5% less pp.
Duckpan
-
Therieri
I might one to talk here at all since I've never been good at this game and haven't played so long than you guys. But I have always liked that I get "xp" by improving and getting better scores in maps and therefore getting this "ranked score". In my opinion is fun. But it might be because I know that I'm bad. I guess that what better you get this game that more you want to get and this leads to stress and other not so fun feelings.
xasuma
I'll bring up a problem with the current system.
It's already happening to top players.

Everytime you get pp, it becomes harder to get more. At some point, getting pp will be so hard, that players will be stuck at a certain pp. You can see this happening to players like hvick225. Where his top scores are so hard that in order to top them, it is extremely extremely hard. What happens when (IF) he gets to 10k pp. How is he (or anyone) goign to gain pp ? Anything below 500 pp will be worth almost nothing.
At that point they will be "stuck" . If it's not at 10k pp, it won't be much more than that. I understand people improve, but honestly no one can ever get to 15k pp or something that high..

What happens then? (soon)

Everyone will just catch up to the first pp's , and the rank will become a big stuck ranking ,where the pp difference is very small between all crazy players. (assuming they get to a level that is very hard to top).

Hopefully I explained it okay.. But anyways, what happens then?
Full Tablet

xasuma wrote:

Everytime you get pp, it becomes harder to get more. At some point, getting pp will be so hard, that players will be stuck at a certain pp. You can see this happening to players like hvick225. Where his top scores are so hard that in order to top them, it is extremely extremely hard. What happens when (IF) he gets to 10k pp. How is he (or anyone) goign to gain pp ? Anything below 500 pp will be worth almost nothing.
At that point they will be "stuck" . If it's not at 10k pp, it won't be much more than that. I understand people improve, but honestly no one can ever get to 15k pp or something that high..

Everyone will just catch up to the first pp's , and the rank will become a big stuck ranking ,where the pp difference is very small between all crazy players. (assuming they get to a level that is very hard to top).

There are many maps that can give over 500pp with mods, so the amount of pp people can get is limited by their own skill.

If their current top plays were something they can't surpass or match in terms of pp even if they put a lot of effort, then it would suggest the current most pp giving maps are highly overrated (since with similar amount of effort, they should be able to get similar amounts of pp in other maps too).
Rewben2

xasuma wrote:

I understand what you're saying except the limiting factor would be the players skill, there's still plenty of maps + mod combos available that could get you pp providing you're good enough of a player. A player can hit a wall at any pp, you just need to improve and get better scores. Although imo improving just gets harder and harder the better you are but that isn't a flaw with the system.
silmarilen

xasuma wrote:

this is never going to happen and you know it
uberpancake
If all the top players were stuck at the same skill then I would see no problem in them being stuck at the same pp. I don't really see that happening though.
Woobowiz
Oh another thing (again, I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed)

Higher bpm streams (I'm talking 230+) kinda feels unrewarding when you can play it unless you add a lot of spacing in between the notes.

Is there even a bonus/reward for high bpm that's independent of the aim factor? There's a bonus for AR 8 and map duration, I know that much.
I Give Up
Mad machine the popular 270bpm stream map is 264 base pp. So I think there is pp bonus in high bpm closely spaced streams but only after 250 or something. Don't quote me on it though.
Saoji

xasuma wrote:

No need to be top100 to reach that point.

There's definetly a problem here. And I think the old system was more accurate about our current skill. I'm not saying we should go back to the old system, but a balance would be nice.
You FC something you found really hard, and you don't get any PP for it because the rating says it's easy or just because the system thinks you should do better whenever you actually can't.

With the old pp system, the amount of pp were improving at the same time than you, now you need to improve yourself and THEN try to get some PP. I don't think it's something good, especially cause you can't even clear some scores cause you'll lose rank if you have lower accuracy or smthing.
Well personally I don't care, I gave up on PP. But it's a sad thing. Cause now, I'm still playing as I'm used to, I'm improving, but my rank is going down just because I don't play THE ppdtmaps... It's a bit depressing.

So yes, some maps gives a huge amount of pp, but those maps might as well be way too far from our current skill while we can actually play something different pretty well without any reward for it. You could tell me to play what osu! says it's hard and not what you think it's hard. But the gameplay experience of osu is also lowered this way.

And another thing, about the accuracy. If you want to get PP, accuracy is something you HAVE TO have, if you're missing a bit of accuracy you just have 0 pp (if you play recommended maps). It's not considered as something you can improve. It's all or nothing (that's how I feel it at least). Accuracy is important in a rythme game, of course, and accuracy is a huge part of the pp given but od10 is considered the same as od0 (basically, as long as you have your 99% it doesnt matter which od it is, the pp will be the same for the same map) and it's hard to reach the gaps for od10, and fcing something with 94% instead of 95% is probably worth some pp, if only for consolation prize, seriously lol. Once more, yes I could improve my accuracy and try to get some pp, but it would be nice if this improvement was constant with the amount of pp. THERE'S NO FLOW.

The system is good, but you just CAN'T deny every suggestions over here because it NEEDS to be improved.

Tess wrote:

every human being to play this game calling DT overrated
HAHAHA, and people told me over here that was in my head... I didn't quote all of your text Tess (cause too big), but you reflexion is nice and I agree with you.
Vuelo Eluko

Yales wrote:

I think the old system was more accurate about our current skill
In what universe?

Yales wrote:

od10 is considered the same as od0 (basically, as long as you have your 99% it doesnt matter which od it is, the pp will be the same for the same map)
Completely wrong. If you get an SS on an od0 5 star map its going to be worth very little, under 100 even, yet od10 would push it probably to around ~220+
show more