forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Vuelo Eluko

Drezi wrote:

Riince wrote:

some patterns shouldn't be worth more than others because every player has a different level of proficiency with every pattern.

Riince wrote:

don't you think I'd play DT more if I wanted 'free PP'?
ok.
XD
whats funny is how i dont think you even really understood the quotes, or you didnt notice how free PP had quotes around it or what patterns i was referring to.
Drezi
You're right, it's evident that it's me who has a hard time understanding quotes and what they imply.
Nyxa
It'd be nice if we could actually start being productive again.
dennischan
Somebody should stop Riince from s***posting
-GN

Riince wrote:

-GN wrote:

Why HD gives a bonus to aim should be obvious for anyone who has played it
it keeps the map exactly identical in every way to nomod in terms of every single measurable technically difficult aspect.
I just told you why it makes playing harder - it just obscures the visual cues the player has for hitting what needs to be hit, and my post describes what it changes.

Riince wrote:

key phrase: measurable difficulty, which should be the only type of difficulty considered or were just rewarding people on their preferences and playstyle choices rather than their technical skill
HD is not a playstyle. HD is a difficulty increasing mod. If you need factual examples of HD actually increasing difficulty, I've got a couple.
Makan1
I have a feeling there is nothing more to add until a new update happens.
Sword
Does anyone know why I lost performance points?
I had FC'd TwoThirds - Breathe with really high accuracy, and later FC'd it with a much lower accuracy with HD, but beat my old no-mod score. I lost 2pp in the process, but I thought that only the highest pp giving score counts?
[ Katz ]
Im not getting the performance system because whenever I place higher than my old score I still lose performance. For instance, If i passed remote control without FC, but then pass it with a FC using HD I would still lose performance
Luna

UnknownShadow wrote:

Im not getting the performance system because whenever I place higher than my old score I still lose performance. For instance, If i passed remote control without FC, but then pass it with a FC using HD I would still lose performance
The only Remote Control score in your entire top performance list is a nomod A, not a HD FC. You must have confused something (maybe you sliderbroke on your HD play and didn't even beat your nomod score, then mistook a rank drop due to others passing you as a pp drop?).
Rewben2

Sword wrote:

I had FC'd TwoThirds - Breathe with really high accuracy, and later FC'd it with a much lower accuracy with HD, but beat my old no-mod score. I lost 2pp in the process, but I thought that only the highest pp giving score counts?
You answered your own question

And no, the only play which is saved and represented in your top performances is the one with the higher score. pp is irrelevant. That is why you can "ruin" scores and lose pp.
[ Katz ]

Luna wrote:

UnknownShadow wrote:

The only Remote Control score in your entire top performance list is a nomod A, not a HD FC. You must have confused something (maybe you sliderbroke on your HD play and didn't even beat your nomod score, then mistook a rank drop due to others passing you as a pp drop?).
I was using that as an example
Luna
Then you are just making baseless assumptions.
Unless your combobreak-A is almost FC (miss right at the very end) and your HD FC has abysmal accuracy (considering the A is already below 95%), the Hidden score will give more pp.
Nyxa

Sword wrote:

No, that is the entire reason for t/220119 this thread's existence.
NixXSkate

Tess wrote:

Sword wrote:

No, that is the entire reason for t/220119 this thread's existence.
I don't think the scoring system should be removed for the system to count only your highest pp score. I think the highest pp score should count only in your pp list; I don't want the scoring system to be removed. Maybe edited, but not removed.
Nyxa
Nobody said the scoring system would or should be removed, though.

Hasty assumptions are usually wrong.
NixXSkate

Tess wrote:

Nobody said the scoring system would or should be removed, though.

Hasty assumptions are usually wrong.
Uhh what exactly am I assuming? Is the thread not about the pp system replacing the scoring system?
silmarilen
it's not about replacing the score system, it is about adding next to the score system
NixXSkate
Well as long as the score system never leaves, and the pp ranking system always selects your highest pp score regardless of what your highest score is, I'll be happy. The way that scores can easily be taken by a score of less PP is a big problem with the system and causes too much confusion and too many threads of people asking why they lost PP.
pielak213

-GN wrote:

HD is not a playstyle. HD is a difficulty increasing mod. If you need factual examples of HD actually increasing difficulty, I've got a couple.
Those maps are ar9. HD is a lot easier when the AR is higher(9.6+). I really can't find any AR11 scores that don't have HD attached onto them. Meanwhile you will also rarely ever see HD attached to EZ. I suggest the aim bonus from HD be higher when the AR is lower than 9.6. Vice versa for AR higher than 9.6. It doesn't solve the problem with HD only being harder with strange overlaps/long streams in higher ARs though. That could be solved with pattern/reading difficulty + every hit object data.

There is also the another issue I have with HD. It doesn't give enough points when using FL+HD. After you get used to playing FL it's hard but it's still nowhere near as hard as HD+FL which is almost impossible to sightread. It's similar to HR+DT jump in difficulty but HD+FL doesn't give nearly as much points as HR+DT. Buffing HD+FL right now would give some maps too much potential for points. That's just an issue with FL being a flat bonus though.

tl;dr
1) maps with low AR need higher bonus + vice versa
2) HD+FL doesn't give enough points
Ziggo

pielak wrote:

SPOILER

-GN wrote:

Those maps are ar9. HD is a lot easier when the AR is higher(9.6+). I really can't find any AR11 scores that don't have HD attached onto them. Meanwhile you will also rarely ever see HD attached to EZ. I suggest the aim bonus from HD be higher when the AR is lower than 9.6. Vice versa for AR higher than 9.6. It doesn't solve the problem with HD only being harder with strange overlaps/long streams in higher ARs though. That could be solved with pattern/reading difficulty + every hit object data.

There is also the another issue I have with HD. It doesn't give enough points when using FL+HD. After you get used to playing FL it's hard but it's still nowhere near as hard as HD+FL which is almost impossible to sightread. It's similar to HR+DT jump in difficulty but HD+FL doesn't give nearly as much points as HR+DT. Buffing HD+FL right now would give some maps too much potential for points. That's just an issue with FL being a flat bonus though.
tl;dr
1) maps with low AR need higher bonus + vice versa
2) HD+FL doesn't give enough points
I'd like to sign that.
Zare
people attach HD to AR11 scores because once you can """read""" a map on AR11 you have memorized it to a point that HD doesn't matter anymore, this doesn't change the fact that HD increases the reading difficulty.
HDHR is hell for me.
NixXSkate

pielak wrote:

After you get used to playing FL it's hard but it's still nowhere near as hard as HD+FL which is almost impossible to sightread. It's similar to HR+DT jump in difficulty but HD+FL doesn't give nearly as much points as HR+DT. Buffing HD+FL right now would give some maps too much potential for points.
The problem is, similar to what you were saying to GN, is how much hidden is affected by low AR. If the AR is low in comparison to the bpm/jumps in a map, only then does hidden can make a big difference with FL (feels like hitting invisible notes). However, unless a map is short, you're going to be memorizing a map for FL anyway. Usually if I'm practicing FL for a map, I don't use hidden until I'm able to FC it, and once I add hidden, there isn't really any big difference. I think it's more based on the person and the confidence, perhaps? (I know people like Mephix can't play FL with HD) Basically, not everyone that plays FL is highly affected by adding hidden as well, but some people can't think clearly with it on. All more proof that FL is indeed a skill and not pure memorization ability.
It's a shame that PP is only broken into physical abilities of aim, speed, and accuracy, because the mental ability of reading should be a section of itself, where things like hidden, easy, really low or high AR, flashlight, and maybe weird timing/spacing (like seibei jumps) could go. But God knows how that could possibly be measured accurately.
CXu
Difference between FL and HDFL is basically that you can still see the note when you hit it, and do some "last second fine-tuning" if necessary, as well as having an easier time aiming correctly since you'll see the approach circle before reaching the note and can adjust accordingly.
Bad at DT
I am not a fan of this ranking system, I recently have only gone down rank even when getting an S on a hard 5 star songs (I know the star system is not accurate) and even getting high combos, I got a 1100 combo on abstract nonsense witch can be improved but I got -rank for it. this has been happening to me a lot, I'm sure its because I do not understand the ranking system fully but any good or bad ranking system should NOT -rank when your learning a song that in my opinion is just stupid.
Ishkiz

[ Ian ] wrote:

I am not a fan of this ranking system, I recently have only gone down rank even when getting an S on a hard 5 star songs (I know the star system is not accurate) and even getting high combos, I got a 1100 combo on abstract nonsense witch can be improved but I got -rank for it. this has been happening to me a lot, I'm sure its because I do not understand the ranking system fully but any good or bad ranking system should NOT -rank when your learning a song that in my opinion is just stupid.
You're not losing pp for bad plays, your rank is falling due to other people passing you up. It doesn't have anything to do with the ranking system.
jesse1412

[ Ian ] wrote:

You could get a 10 thousand combo on a map, if it's 11 thousand in total, you won't get much pp. FC or nothing basically.
silmarilen
that's not exactly true, 10k/11k would give quite a big portion of the map's pp. possible 80-90% of it.
i got 2300/2600 combo on a map today and i got more pp from it than someone who fc'd it because i had better acc
Monstrata
I'm like 99% sure the scalar for combo pp is (Your Max Combo^0.8) / (Maximum Combo^0.8). So getting 90/100 will actually grant you 92% of maximum pp if you had fc'ed it. (This is excluding other factors such as accuracy, # of misses). Someone can confirm.

The system is set to be more lenient the lower your combo. 90/100 will grant you 92% of pp, but getting say 50/100 would still grant you 57% of the pp. Of course, that's not ideal, but just for comparison's sake.
NixXSkate

silmarilen wrote:

that's not exactly true, 10k/11k would give quite a big portion of the map's pp. possible 80-90% of it.
i got 2300/2600 combo on a map today and i got more pp from it than someone who fc'd it because i had better acc
I got over a 900 combo on a 1000 combo map with 1 100 and 2 misses in a row and got 214pp. An S with 1 100 gives 251pp...
Not complaining or anything, it just shows getting max combo is a pretty big deal if you want any pp.
ivan
x
silmarilen

NixXSkate wrote:

silmarilen wrote:

I got over a 900 combo on a 1000 combo map with 1 100 and 2 misses in a row and got 214pp. An S with 1 100 gives 251pp...
Not complaining or anything, it just shows getting max combo is a pretty big deal if you want any pp.
i think that may have been because of the 2 misses aswell (misses drop your pp just for the sake of being misses, not just because they lower your acc and combo), i only had a sliderbreak myself.
Rewben2

Ivan wrote:

I don't think PP system is going to get a tweak or a change anytime soon ;(
Probably, not until hit object data or whatever it's called is available.
Vuelo Eluko

silmarilen wrote:

i got more pp from it than someone who fc'd it because i had better acc
i do this so often its hilarious
those
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/297411 Is this accurate to what you planned for pp to be?

Rank 1 is 210pp, rank 2 is 450pp
GhostFrog

those wrote:

It's more accurate than your score being #1 on that map over a HD+DT play.
Vuelo Eluko
mod score bonuses were decided a long time ago by a man who really doesnt even play osu so of course there are some issues
Zare

those wrote:

I actually, seriously wonder whether this was supposed to be a troll post or a joke
jesse1412

those wrote:

Yes.
-GN
Even my own score on that map gives 240 pp - HR and DT change the map gameplay so drastically for the harder, it's no wonder a HDFL score gives much less since it's a nomod score with a decent bonus to aim.

pp takes actual map difficulty and gives points based on that, as you probably know.
jesse1412
I always seem to wonder about pp and there's something I can never quite shake. I don't think it exists but I always seem to end up wondering why, if the peak parts of a map are where the most reward comes from, don't you get rewarded pp if you can guarantee that the person FCed that part (or all of those parts) by looking at their maximum combo achieved. Say the map maximum combo is 1000 and the majority of the map is 2 star tier apart from one sections that is 200 combo into the song which plays like a 10 star map, you can make a little check to find the minimum combo needed to have FCed this part of the map. For this map, let's assume that the extreme hard part is 50 combo long, to ensure that the person FCed that section the player would need AT LEAST 800 combo. Obviously add an extra 10 or so combo to either side as entering and exiting hard sections can be hard in itself and viola, you have some VERY basic per hit object analysis.

Another example: map has a maximum of 800 combo, hard part is at 700 combo and lasts for 50 combo. The player would need a 700 + 50 + 20 combo minimum to ensure that they hit the hard section. 700 is the amount of combo required MAXIMUM for the player to have reached the start of the hard section, 50 is the note length of the hard section and 20 is a little insurance combo to make sure they managed to get in and out of it themselves. Obviously there would be a little more complexity to it when maps have multiple peak areas but this is just the basic idea.

Not sure how crazy this would be to implement but it doesn't sound easy.
show more