forum

Performance Points feedback and suggestions (Standard)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Natsu

Spyrunite wrote:

WOO we finally got the PP graphs again :D
too big QAQ
Kukuthemoogle
Hey, I've been reading this thread to figure out why my rank keeps dropping when I beat old scores and songs, and I found the answer to that, but I've also been having another problem. Recently when I play new songs on hard or normal, and I fc it(without ever playing this map before) I'll lose a lot of ranks. Is it because I've been playing a lot of insane maps lately? I have no idea.

Also, I'm sorry if this question has been answered, I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. :o
GoldenWolf

Kukuthemoogle wrote:

Hey, I've been reading this thread to figure out why my rank keeps dropping when I beat old scores and songs, and I found the answer to that, but I've also been having another problem. Recently when I play new songs on hard or normal, and I fc it(without ever playing this map before) I'll lose a lot of ranks. Is it because I've been playing a lot of insane maps lately? I have no idea.

Also, I'm sorry if this question has been answered, I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. :o
It's likely because more people gain ranks faster than you, thus you drop in ranks (to prove that your pp shouldn't change much, if at all)
Novixion

Kukuthemoogle wrote:

Recently when I play new songs on hard or normal, and I fc it(without ever playing this map before) I'll lose a lot of ranks. Is it because I've been playing a lot of insane maps lately? I have no idea.
You don't earn too many points from hards or normals so others probably were overtaking your scores. The ranks are generally unstable due to some people being far more active then others.

This is kinda funny but there is a weird bug with the graph (my cursor is at the lower arrow):
Keeby
yeah, are the graphs upsidedown or something? or am I reading it wrong. o-o
Coffee Hero
others probably were overtaking your scores
No, score doesn't even matter for ppv2.When you achieve a score on a map other players scores have no effect on your PP.

Recently when I play new songs on hard or normal, and I fc it(without ever playing this map before) I'll lose a lot of ranks. Is it because I've been playing a lot of insane maps lately? I have no idea.
PPv2 updates everytime you set a score. What you are seeing is just other players passing you in pp during the time between scores.
Icyteru

Tom94 wrote:

Apart from the fact, that in pp the 3 sections are not just totaled, this is true. The reason why it's not exactly like tp is, because I feel it's just as wrong to only look at single aspects of scores in isolation as it is to look at a totaled value only. Scores which demand skill in all 3 categories should also be rewarded.

Currently the pp a score is worth is computed by the following formula: (aim^X + speed^X + acc^X)^(1/X)
Where X at the moment is 1.1 and will likely rise a bit in the future.
This explains the 50% difference in my tp and pp rank then. Although tbh, I reckon maps which have a decent value in all sections is a lot easier than maps which excel in one area.
dennischan
when will we get the wiki article?
I am quite looking foward to reading it.
Thanks for your hard work Tom94!
Yarissa
pp graphs could be a little more interactive... you could toggle other stats like playcount history or maybe replays watched. that would be fun
silmarilen
i think acc affects pp way too much, right now my top2 pp scores are heavy acc based scores and other than that they are pretty easy to fc. if i now were to SS something like eyes of devileliet nomod it wouldnt even be my topscore despite being many times more difficult to fc purely because it is only od7. (at least this would be the case in tp, and since pp is so similar to tp im assuming it would be the case in pp aswell)
Myke B
I kinda agree. Right now, noisestorm - pulse is one of my top performances just because I got a 99.39% acc. It wasn't very hard to fc, when Mystic Oriental Love Consultation was considerably harder to fc, but I only got 98% so it's lower.
Keeby
to some extent i don't think accuracy is weighted as much as you say, but I might be bias because my best performance is a C. what seems to give me pp is if I get a high combo or not.

I kinda suck at getting near 100% so maybe that's normal though.
GoldenWolf
I wouldn't agree, my top 5 is full of shitty acc scores for example
The maps you are talking about aren't really hard aim or speed-wise (although devileliet requires some stamina) so it makes sense if the accuracy value outweight the other ones
Myke B
I often find myself not wanting to try and beat my score on a high acc score. For example: if I have 100% on a song that I know I can beat with HD - I often won't do it, in fear that that I will lose PP :/
GoldenWolf
I personally think a nomod SS is often better than a HD 99%
(Depends on the map, but unless it gets really hard to even FC nomod, I don't personally value HD much)
RaneFire

Myke B wrote:

I often find myself not wanting to try and beat my score on a high acc score. For example: if I have 100% on a song that I know I can beat with HD - I often won't do it, in fear that that I will lose PP :/
Don't fear, just keep improving. If you keep playing it safe, you take longer to improve. I still can't play HD properly either, but I just retry a few more times to make up for it, and eventually beat my non-HD accuracies after another 5 FC's or so with HD on.

That said I do feel there is too much pp to be gained expontentially for getting closer to 100%. Unless the map is really difficult in aim and speed, accuracy should not be weighted as heavily because retrying is a relatively easy thing to do if those are not a problem, which then just tests patience. Maybe that's just me, but DT'ing maps which are relatively easy to FC, because they're short, gives way too much pp for getting better accuracy from retrying.
Myke B
well tbh.. 100% no mod is more valuable to me than getting that 90 w/e % with HD anyways :/
High End
If Acc of map which you played is high, Aim and Acc are increased somewhat. (If Acc is low, they will decrease. )

As for HD, Aim is increased. and Acc is increased very slightly.
Skriggniichan
I am extremely happy with the new pp system, it puts those pp farmers that don't play anything but normal or hard in their place while giving those of us that actually take time to be good at the game a chance to earn appropriate rank. Thank you to Tom and peppy for making this new system that is all shiny and wonderful.
Saint_old
it's ok
Spyrunite
My problem with hidden is that it doesn't match the scores. I understand why it happens, but the way the system is now I need to decide if I want to have better PP or better map score every time I get decent at a map. Since I am not good at accuracy I know that by playing hidden I will not get the same accuracy I do without it.
Oskur
To those who said that their highest scores were C's; check how many misses you got in them, percentage does not matter nearly as much as how many misses or 50s you got.

Also, I just want to make sure; does pp directly correlate with ranking? I feel like it doesn't, and I want to know what else factors into ranking.
Mathsma

TMoI wrote:

To those who said that their highest scores were C's; check how many misses you got in them, percentage does not matter nearly as much as how many misses or 50s you got.

Also, I just want to make sure; does pp directly correlate with ranking? I feel like it doesn't, and I want to know what else factors into ranking.
Ranking has nothing to do with pp gained.
buny

TMoI wrote:

pp is just a quantity rewarded for completing maps depending on their difficulty

other peoples ranking doesn't affect you at all, so your pp should NEVER go down unless you replace a score with a lower valued pp score
Myke B
So Tom said it takes into account all scores, not just top 50 - so does that mean if I get a 99% with HDDT and another score on the same map with 100% DT, does it count them both or just the HDDT one? if they don't, would it be a good idea to? Like what if you can beat a map with DT and you can also beat it with FL but not together, should that person get PP for both or would that be a bad idea.
buny
obviously when he said all scores, he meant all your online scores, regardless of rank...
Coffee Hero

Myke B wrote:

So Tom said it takes into account all scores, not just top 50 - so does that mean if I get a 99% with HDDT and another score on the same map with 100% DT, does it count them both or just the HDDT one? if they don't, would it be a good idea to? Like what if you can beat a map with DT and you can also beat it with FL but not together, should that person get PP for both or would that be a bad idea.
only the highest rank is used for each beatmap.
Myke B

buny wrote:

obviously when he said all scores, he meant all your online scores, regardless of rank...
what? that doesn't answer what I asked lol. whether the score is online or offline has nothing to do what I asked. I asked if multiple scores on the same map are considered, and if not, would it be a bad idea (which now I obviously would say yeah, because of farming the same map).
Ekaru
The server only stores your highest score points-wise at any given moment so that's the only scores that can be used.
Novixion
Does missing 5 notes at the same time penalize you as much as missing 5 notes in 5 different places throughout the map? (Same acc)
Myke B

Novixion wrote:

Does missing 5 notes at the same time penalize you as much as missing 5 notes in 5 different places throughout the map? (Same acc)
depends on what combo you are holding at the time, and acc. Generally speaking, it doesn't matter where you miss the notes specifically.
buny

Myke B wrote:

buny wrote:

what? that doesn't answer what I asked lol. whether the score is online or offline has nothing to do what I asked. I asked if multiple scores on the same map are considered, and if not, would it be a bad idea (which now I obviously would say yeah, because of farming the same map).
you do realise that the only online scores are your best scores, right?
Myke B
I actually didn't. I wasn't sure if when Tom said that it was all scores, that he meant "all top scores of yours" or all scores literally. Looking back at it now though, it seems dumb for me to think that it was possible for literally all scores. My b.
High End
Tom, you should make ppv2 to the same calculation method as tp.

The map of score(50|50|50) is easier than the map of score(100|0|0).

Although I played a map like score(50|50|50) today, it was clearly easy.
Nevertheless, my pp went up considerably.
The ppv2 present ranking goes up, even if everyone plays map like score(50|50|50).
I think, maps only with one high category is more difficult than maps with three average categories.
I think that Tom also understands it, because he performed "Increase pp-value of scores which excel in one category".

Although I can understand, worth of maps like score(50|50|50) will be lost in case of the calculation method of tp.
Nonetheless, Tom should make ppv2 to the same calculation method as tp.
Or increase more pp-value of scores which excel in one category.

I cannot think that the present ranking is good.
el-ev-en
Waiting for osuwiki "pp" artilcle...
dennischan
Me too...
Does anybody know when will the winking article be available
GoldenWolf
Soon™
Defacer
­
Nina
Greetings all,

I was curious, while I love this new PP system alot, I was wondering if this was working as intended..

I played this 18 days ago and was extremely happy with it, gained a modest amount of PP etc...
I play that same map again a week and a half later (In a middle of a play session, so everything's updated)
After I complete it, I notice I drop alot of PP (relatively) and ~1k ranking positions, for a really minor change in overall accuracy, but better score achieved so it counts the second one. (And getting one off FC might not of helped)

Again, I play this map afew days ago after just downloading it
Happy days, gain alot of PP again.
Play it two days later, get 2 100's and a miss more then last, but hold 2 decent combos for a slightly higher score then above and I drop ~1k places and alot of PP again.

Is this just me being unlucky and playing beatmaps which have a very heavy accuracy rating, so a minor change effects PP gain hugely, or is it something else?

After talking about it with a friend, he seems to think that its my 'leaderboard PP' being recalculated from people beating my scores all over the place, despite having very few scores under 1k on the leaderboard, and im online when this recalculation happens. This would explain it for the second one, because I got rank 44 on a new beatmap 2 days ago (im now 314), but it still doesn't do much to explain the first one.

So. Am I just playing accuracy weighted maps and suffering a huge drop for a small drop in accuracy %, or are the few high-ranking scores I do have just being beaten alot recently thus the (big for me) drop in PP

Note: Rank isn't an issue, I can deal with that. I just feel that getting afew 100's more and getting a better score shouldn't just counteract 1-2+ hours playing, if I knew it'd drop that much, I'd of just reset out.... I have also read the thread (well, 90% of it) but my friend seems to insist that other people ranking higher then you drops your PP score for that song...
Full Tablet

Nina_Winlan wrote:

After talking about it with a friend, he seems to think that its my 'leaderboard PP' being recalculated from people beating my scores all over the place, despite having very few scores under 1k on the leaderboard, and im online when this recalculation happens. This would explain it for the second one, because I got rank 44 on a new beatmap 2 days ago (im now 314), but it still doesn't do much to explain the first one.

So. Am I just playing accuracy weighted maps and suffering a huge drop for a small drop in accuracy %, or are the few high-ranking scores I do have just being beaten alot recently thus the (big for me) drop in PP
You lost pp because you replaced your records with worse ones. The score rank you get in each map doesn't matter.
Your maximum combo is the value that matters. One combo of 300 is worth more than 2 combos of 280.
show more