forum

How to make a nice recording for Youtube

posted
Total Posts
show more
Nightfall91
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Remco32
Try manual changing the sound device, or reinstalling Fraps.
MegaManEXE
I'm using version 2.9.9 (full version)

And it doesn't give me the option to change the sound device
Topic Starter
Remco32
Try switching from Detect best sound input to Use windows input
MegaManEXE
Still nothing

But I did some Googling and found out what the problem is, so hopefully I can fix that for whenever I try recording next
Gens

Remco32 wrote:

When you are at the part where you want to start the recording, press you're Video Capture Hotkey.
:[

Nice tutorial. I might try again to record some replay. :)

I'm curious, though... Should I install Sony Vegas? Is it good/cool/awesome?
MMzz
Thank you! :3
I needed this
Nightfall91
Maybe I got no sound because I don't have speakers? I only got Headphones right now...and I can't change the sound device in fraps (still not the latest version)
anonymous_old

Nightfall91 wrote:

Maybe I got no sound because I don't have speakers? I only got Headphones right now...and I can't change the sound device in fraps (still not the latest version)
Unless your headphones are attached to a special port on your PC, or are USB, there should be no difference between using headphones and speakers.
Nightfall91
Problem solved! I dont really know what i did,but it worked :P
Right now i tried to explain it but i dont have a clue how to translate all these weird word into english XD
well,ill try it simplyfied...i opened up the option for sounddevices(rightclick on that sound symbol on the bottom right corner of the windows taskbar...then choose...something that shows your sounddevices,for me it was just "sounds") then there should be...ahh ok ill add a picture even thought its german-.-

soo...ok i rightclicked the symbol in the red circle,then the shown window popped up,at first it only showed me the activated microphone and something other...then i rightclicked that window on empty space and the little window popped up,there i activated the upper option which i think is called "show deactivated devices",then i activated "stereomix" and whoops my fraps recorded sound :D
MegaManEXE

Nightfall91 wrote:

Problem solved! I dont really know what i did,but it worked :P
Right now i tried to explain it but i dont have a clue how to translate all these weird word into english XD
well,ill try it simplyfied...i opened up the option for sounddevices(rightclick on that sound symbol on the bottom right corner of the windows taskbar...then choose...something that shows your sounddevices,for me it was just "sounds") then there should be...ahh ok ill add a picture even thought its german-.-

soo...ok i rightclicked the symbol in the red circle,then the shown window popped up,at first it only showed me the activated microphone and something other...then i rightclicked that window on empty space and the little window popped up,there i activated the upper option which i think is called "show deactivated devices",then i activated "stereomix" and whoops my fraps recorded sound :D

Yeah that's basically my problem

Except my comp doesn't give me the Stereo Mix option so I have to do some funny workaround crap to get it to work
thepianist

Gens wrote:

I'm curious, though... Should I install Sony Vegas? Is it good/cool/awesome?
In my opinion, it is good/cool/awesome. :)
Gens
This should be stickied for the hell of it
Lesjuh
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Yohgi_old
the video i made with fraps is like 4 gb...y is it so big? D: it take forever to render...
MegaManEXE

Yohgi wrote:

the video i made with fraps is like 4 gb...y is it so big? D: it take forever to render...
Fraps doesn't have time to compress the video as it records so the resulting file is always big, that's why you have to use some other program instead to compress it before you upload it to Youtube.
Topic Starter
Remco32

Yohgi wrote:

If I record a long map, I'll mostly end up with like 10GB of videofiles (recording in high-res). It's normal.
Hanyuu
Kitty McWittles
Lybydose
I used the same rendering settings you did in the post and uhhhhhh 605 MB file. What. I am not uploading this.
Topic Starter
Remco32

Lybydose wrote:

I used the same rendering settings you did in the post and uhhhhhh 605 MB file. What. I am not uploading this.
You're surprised HD takes up more space or something?
Lybydose
Hanyuu

IppE

Samurai_X wrote:

Any recommendation for PC specs for this? My laptop runs Vista Ultimate on a 2.2GHz AMD dual-core with 4GB RAM and Radeon 3200 graphics, but I still lag horribly while recording, even when I make sure useless stuff isn't running in the background and osu!'s on the lowest settings, blahblah, all that stuff. :|
Its highly cpu depending seeing as I got the same except for AMD Turion X2 Ultra @ 2.4GHz and recording at 1024x576 stays at the 60fps most of the time.
anonymous_old
Jeffro
Alternatively you could use Virtualdub with x264vfw to encode your video's HD quality. However I do stress the need for your videos to be at least 720p (1280x720)

These are my settings:

So you download Virtualdub (Freeware) Download

Then get x264vfw (Free codec) Download and install it.

Set up Fraps like this:

Set up osu! something like this if you can:

You might wonder why I use 1280x800. This is because it comes as close to 720p as osu! gives you the option to render :)

Then go ahead and record a replay of yourself of even when spectating someone :D

Extract Virtualdub to somewhere and open it.

Open the avi Fraps made in Virtualdub (File->Open Video File)

If your video is that long so that Fraps generated multiple files you can just go to File->Append AVI segment so it will put the videos behind eachother :)

Ok first problem. Youtube loves videos the most when its fedded in 720p but we just recorded using 1280x800. This is where a little editing comes in handy.

Go to Filters (Video->Filters or CTRL-F)
And from there click on Add and search for the resize filter.

And then from there we can setup the settings for resizing to 720p correctly.

Here I choose for a Letterbox/Crop. I choose this options because you will always maintain your aspect ratio and the quality will not go down. All we'll be doing is cutting off some of the screen which is irrelevant.

Then its time to setup the codec we'll be using for encoding the video to a youtube acceptable format.
Go to Video->Compression and search for the x264vfw codec you installed.

In this screen you can see some of the settings you can make as where the ratefactor should be noted as one of the most important settings in here. This ratio will be make or break your video's quality and try to regulate the filesize as well.
I use 25 myself because I found out this has been working rather well. But if anyone has better settings that will make the videos even more better on Youtube, don't hestitate to tell me.

Also make sure the Virtualdub Hack is checked.

Now we have the basic settings to make a good video.

If you are smart I recommend saving the preset you just made or just lazily download my processing settings here

You can accomplish this task by going to File->Save Processing Settings, (Load for loading them ;) )

Then you could eventually cut out some material you don't want or add some text in virtualdub itself. I refer to the helpfile/FAQ's from Virtualdub itself for that.

Well then you can just go to File->Save as AVI, Choose a spot and save :)
You should see the status of the movie you're rendering.

After you are done you can upload the file to Youtube and after it's been processed it will show up and get the HD version a little while later.

And thats how you do it with Virtualdub and x264vfw :)

I am rendering the file used in this tutorial as we speak and will be editing this post to link to the video to show you guys the quality :)

Have fun! :D Jeffro

Edit: Here is the video aka the result:
IppE

Jeffro wrote:

You might wonder why I use 1280x800. This is because it comes as close to 720p as osu! gives you the option to render :)
1. Open osu!.current user name here.cfg (its in the same folder as osu!.exe)
2. Edit line Height = 800 to Height = 720
3. Open osu!
4. ??????
5. PROFIT!

Peppy should add a 720p resolution preset too tho seeing as there is the 1920x1080 one too...
aTunaChu
Why can I only record 30 seconds? :(
Layola_old
Jeffro

IppE602 wrote:

Jeffro wrote:

1. Open osu!.current user name here.cfg (its in the same folder as osu!.exe)
2. Edit line Height = 800 to Height = 720
3. Open osu!
4. ??????
5. PROFIT!

Peppy should add a 720p resolution preset too tho seeing as there is the 1920x1080 one too...
Lol! I forgot all about that :D ty xD
Boring_old
I've found that a combination of HyperCam+Xvid to record, and VirtualDub to edit, works fairly well. however, I haven't tried it with osu! specifically yet; Xvid may be a bit fickle, so you may have to turn a setting or two down. if that is the case, downloading the CamStudio Lossless Codec (poor man's xvid) may also boost performance.
Jeffro
I wouldn't use Hypercam IMO, you will loose quality or it will not keep up with the frames.

And xvid is compressor but its better to first use the lossless codec in your case then and then use virtualdub with the right codecs to get out a nice image :)

lossless codec has NOTHING to do with xvid because lossless is nill compression :)
Boring_old
I have had very good quality with HyperCam. I was fed up with Fraps because it doesn't work in as many situations as HyperCam, so I did some tinkering with a HyperCam+Xvid combo and it looks just as good. uploading as -lossy a video as possible is certainly what YouTube wants you to do but it seems near pointless

Xvid is better than CamStudio's mess, assuredly. CamStudio's codec is for computers that can't do high-level Xvid options well
IppE

boring wrote:

Xvid is better than CamStudio's mess
And then there's h.264 which is even better then XviD :)

And when x264 (or MeGUI if you don't want to mess with command lines) is free there is no excuse to use XviD.

And the final size isn't too horrible either, a 2 minute 720p video could easily go to ~12Mb if you compress it right.
(Mine end up at around 60Mb though since I use ~4096kbps bitrate for some reason...)
Boring_old
you mean DivX, not XviD

yes, the backwards spelling was intentional, "copyleft of DivX" lol

actually XviD has support for H.263, which while certainly isn't H.264, was at one point excellent for YouTube

edit: oh hey MeGUI takes XviD
IppE

boring wrote:

you mean DivX, not XviD

yes, the backwards spelling was intentional, "copyleft of DivX" lol

actually XviD has support for H.263, which while certainly isn't H.264, was at one point excellent for YouTube

edit: oh hey MeGUI takes XviD
I did mean XviD. It's great for smaller videos but I wouldn't really used it with HD stuff tbh.
DivX is quite the poo and is rarely used nowadays afaik (only seen it as a streaming codec)

And MeGUI has support for Snow, x264 and XviD
Boring_old
oh, I'm sorry, it's just when I saw this...

IppE602 wrote:

And when x264 (or MeGUI if you don't want to mess with command lines) is free there is no excuse to use XviD.
...I thought you were referring to how DivX was not free, thus pointless when there are free alternatives, etc
Emile
About the Fraps+Sony Vegas method.
I recorded a 1:40 video of me playing a beatmap.
When I finished rendering with the settings on the first page, it was a 236mb file.
Anyone know how to lower the size so it would be easier for Youtube to upload?
thepianist
Jeffro
show more