forum

My form of OSU! Training

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mamoru Senpai
Play a good mix out of everything. That's all I can say. Don't focus on only one ability (like streaming/jumping) and play as much different beatmaps as possible. The more experience, the more ways you can deal with new patterns.
Rewben2

Mamoru Senpai wrote:

Play a good mix out of everything..
This. I usually play old maps with small circles and high AR's to practice my accuracy/aim and just DT hards or play insanes for speed.
RaneFire
Yah...

It's goes without saying that you need to practice something to get good at something, but it also needs to be your focus. Simple rule of human, you cannot focus on everything simultaneously, especially when trying to improve. It also has to be a goal that you can reach for, in a situation where you can reach for it.

Play lots of different maps, focus on what you want to do for that map and try to improve it, then go to the next map. It helps to focus on one thing for a couple of maps in a row though, and what's why making collections for different types of maps helps, and lets you return to maps that are good for practicing certain things.

You don't have to 'S' every map, but accuracy is one of the hardest things to get good at because it depends on all the other skills first, so you do need to slow down and play stuff within your limits to train your accuracy.

What you are doing is fine for practicing aim and speed. Just take Jaka's advice and don't mash. NF isn't the problem, it's how you play it, because it allows you to play stuff you would never get to in the first place.
Myke B
for the first 5-8k plays or so (hard to remember exactly) when I was trying to go from normals to insanes, I honestly just played maps that I enjoyed playing and couldn't really beat all the way through. 5x5x5 rubiks cube is one of those maps, and how do you do jericho's rave? I played how do you do literally 100+ times (my most played map) just getting a little bit farther each time until I finally beat it. I always had the focus of getting better, but when I looked at cookiezi at the time, I thought that this shit is ridiculously easy compared to that, so imma just keep playing np. eventually I got to the level that I am at now (not extremely high, but higher than the average I guess) and now I focus on specific things I want to fix (aim, acc, speed, streams, etc.). Most people have google docs that have tons of maps for exactly what you are looking for sorted by bpm. You need just play the game up until you can do any of those maps on that google doc first. Getting up to insane level is the easiest part of the game imo, and where everyone has to start before actually trying to get decent.
Topic Starter
KadenZzero
Thanks for the tips so far! I really appreciate it.

seems like Ill have to train my acc quite some and then some more. The point is Im already quite fast and can keep up with some insane songs. But as pointed out my acc is honestly shit. Even on easier maps I have a hard time to get a no-misses, let alone SS.
kleps

MaTr1x17 wrote:

Thanks for the tips so far! I really appreciate it.

seems like Ill have to train my acc quite some and then some more. The point is Im already quite fast and can keep up with some insane songs. But as pointed out my acc is honestly shit. Even on easier maps I have a hard time to get a no-misses, let alone SS.
SS is meaningless as it is natural to get random misses, if you ever think of SSing something, aim for 99%, it's equally as good.
Topic Starter
KadenZzero

Myke B wrote:

for the first 5-8k plays or so (hard to remember exactly) when I was trying to go from normals to insanes, I honestly just played maps that I enjoyed playing and couldn't really beat all the way through. 5x5x5 rubiks cube is one of those maps, and how do you do jericho's rave? I played how do you do literally 100+ times (my most played map) just getting a little bit farther each time until I finally beat it. I always had the focus of getting better, but when I looked at cookiezi at the time, I thought that this shit is ridiculously easy compared to that, so imma just keep playing np. eventually I got to the level that I am at now (not extremely high, but higher than the average I guess) and now I focus on specific things I want to fix (aim, acc, speed, streams, etc.). Most people have google docs that have tons of maps for exactly what you are looking for sorted by bpm. You need just play the game up until you can do any of those maps on that google doc first. Getting up to insane level is the easiest part of the game imo, and where everyone has to start before actually trying to get decent.
This describes best, what Im doing right now. Another problem is, that I dont like maps that are too slow. I usually move away from a song as soon as I reach an A or better, since to me its not challenging anymore.
Purple
If I repeatedly play a map without being able to read it properly that map is lost to me forever :cry:
RIP Ievan Polka Kirby Mix and Shotgun Symphony. You will be missed.
Blueprint

kT fizik wrote:

If you only play spam maps where you end up at about 70-80% max,you shouldn't do that. I did that too and I felt like I improved rapidly at first,but looking back all I did was develop bad habits (button mashingz) and thus shouldn't have done it. Oh yeah,and I got bad accuracy now. You want to slowly improve but surely since got basic skills are worth pursuing in the end.

e:/ what almost said
I believe I have this problem now I've got this thing for doing insane which are impossible for me and I end up button mashing ( I can't alternate well because of this)

I've gathered a few interesting tips from this thread they have helped me to
Mikelicious

Almost wrote:

That's the best way to improve speed and aim but playing easier maps is best for training accuracy.
Soulg
everybody is different and everybody will have different opinions on what does and does not work. just because one person says one thing will work does not mean that it will work for you, but you should be open to any and all ideas. you never know what obscure little thing could improve your ability ten fold.
-Chronopolis-
I played maps that I could read and attempt but was not that close to passing for about 60% of my first 8k plays. Gained a lot of speed, but could never build combo. Basically I peaked out at around 86%-89% (on the 190-215 bpm insane and easy S.S difficulties) and couldn't get higher acc nor build combo. The time before I realized I needed to move to easier songs after I started capping out, that was definitely wasted time.

So now I'm doing a ton of easier songs, having a list of songs that are at the right level for both aiming/single tap and streaming. I think doing this from the start would be faster in the long run, because no matter what you'll have to go from slow and controlled to fast and controlled, there's no way to go from fast and uncontrolled to fast and controlled.

Note: when I was playing the harder songs, I was never spamming, always trying to play the notes in rhthym. Except for the longer sequences and stream, which I later payed the price for. I actually got decent accuracy for simple things like ordinary singles and 3-5 note sequence accuracy.
Icyteru
SSing freedom dive is the best way to practice aim/speed/accuracy
Yano
Just play for Fun

You will improve faster than if you force yourself to improve

Play Scarlet Rose
thelewa

JAKACHAN wrote:

kT fizik wrote:

If you only play spam maps where you end up at about 70-80% max,you shouldn't do that. I did that too and I felt like I improved rapidly at first,but looking back all I did was develop bad habits (button mashingz) and thus shouldn't have done it. Oh yeah,and I got bad accuracy now. You want to slowly improve but surely since got basic skills are worth pursuing in the end.

e:/ what almost said
That is not correct for everyone. I started out playing maps I could barely pass and had no problems whatsoever. As long as you aren't just spamming and are actually trying to hit everything this is one of the better ways in my opinion to improve.
The fact that you had an understanding of rhythm helped you with that, JAKACHAN

but yeah you're still right, if you're not lazy and instead try to play the maps properly, you WILL improve
plaatinum

Ikki wrote:

First of all, why do you find certain maps hard to pass? It's either because you can't properly read the patterns or you don't have required physical abilities. Playing them makes you play incorrectly (because you are not capable of doing it correctly yet), which eventually leads into bad habits. That's why many say that using NF is a bad way to practice and I completely agree with that. If you want a good practice, a quite efficient way is to work on your accuracy. Focus on playing maps on which you can get at least 85% and work up from there. This will slowly improve skills required for those maps and will make you a better player in general. Most important is not to rush things, I made big mistake playing only AR10 and NF from early days, which came with a lot of bad habits which I have to work on now. It's much more efficient to do things correctly from the begging than to learn the wrong way and have to unlearn the bad habits you got from it. Keep that in mind and good luck.
With that logic does it make it smarter to play the insanely hard songs (like 0108) with HT instead of NF if you can't keep up with the speed? Just to keep a habit of hitting all the notes.
kleps

Plaatinum wrote:

With that logic does it make it smarter to play the insanely hard songs (like 0108) with HT instead of NF if you can't keep up with the speed? Just to keep a habit of hitting all the notes.
As long as it's neither too easy and neither too hard, trying to get better accuracy will make you improve. You need to find maps which require good amount of focus for you to play.
The guys above already gave some really useful suggestions.
But first of all, you wanna make sure that your Enhance Pointer Precision is not checked, this is critical if you wanna get nice aiming when playing some hard maps (but it seems you already have it disabled).
Here's another suggestion: don't use SD/PF before you're 100% sure that you can achieve it without struggling, and don't make tons of retries right after a combobreak either. These stuff would kinda affect your ability to keep long combo even after several breaks.
Genesis Rose
I find there is no "right" way of training yourself to play maps.

This is what I did:

Moving from hard to insane I managed to get into it pretty well then hit a brick wall, the songs were all getting so fast and it made things feel impossible. So I started to play maps that I could get 65-90% on. Fast songs. With NF. During this time I could get about 80% on most insanes at ar8. I started playing ar 9 maps that were really fast. (Maps like this.) I couldn't combo them at first but when I started to combo them (100+ combo before break) I moved to maps like this. At this point I made sure to keep myself from spamming keys and just try to hit as many notes as possible. After a while I moved on to maps like Talent Shredder.

Going backwards, the maps like cataclysm I can do with 96% and 1 combo break (Lots of stream so my accuracy kinda sucks, its 200bpm). I can now pass the celldweller song with 94% accuracy (multiple breaks). And on talent shredder I can now get 84% with 118 combo. This is indeed progress.

I lack aim and accuracy but make up for it with speed right now, so I am trying maps that fit my speed but require a lot of aim and accuracy such as http://osu.ppy.sh/b/291285.

Im continuing to improve and I find that the maps I struggled with before now don't keep my attention and I can full combo them in 2 or 3 tries with 98%+ accuracy.
Nakage
What everyone said is definitely true. I found that playing impossibly hard songs for me didn't really teach me anything. If I couldn't register each individual note in my head, I avoided it until I could play it. I also downloaded every beatmap pack so I had the variety and just went through song after song, playing things I could get an A or an S on in a few tries. I would play things I could barely beat as well, probably as much as the songs I could A or S (Not things that I could barely follow with my cursor if I mashed).

Everyone does learn differently, that is true, but the problem is figuring out what works for you. I suggest trying to find your style. Find what suits you best or what's most comfortable to you, whatever you find out first. I got a little lucky as I found mine rather quickly. I found that my style is consistent play. If I can't get high accuracy on a song (>90%) then I will probably do really bad at it (<85% or even failing it outright). Longer songs are my specialty (If I can't 500 combo something first try, I get no more than 60-70 combo usually on the next 5 tries.)

I took advantage of knowing this and played hundreds of songs (I have played probably anywhere from 500-700 songs), usually no more than 3-4 tries to train my consistency (Few plays, many maps, all so I rely on hitting consistently and not memorizing the songs), and because I was comfortable with the way I was practicing, I naturally got a lot better (from beginner on ikenai taiyou to getting a B on distorted lovesong in 3 months).

So, if you're comfort zone is at fast 2 minute songs, but it's not at slower long songs (3+ minutes), then play fast 2 minute songs. If you're comfortable playing jump songs, but not while streaming, play jump songs. If you're an AR10 guy and AR9 confuses you, play AR10. If you love HDHR, play HDHR. You should get the point by now. Find what you like to play and don't rely on other people to tell you what to play if you don't like playing it.