forum

Raising the limitation of file size limit for maps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +4
Topic Starter
xxbidiao
Regarding my post years ago, I believe I have better argument for reopening it.

I would say, whatever 30M/40M/higher if this is a flexible limit which can be controlled by BAT/GMT/whatsoever, it would be good.

Now I clearly have t/162157 with 100M+ original wav and 23M compressed (128K ogg) hitsound.
And i actually know a few mappers giving up making keysound maps because it's not possible to upload their map...

And if buying getting supporter tag can grant higher map size limit i will definitely get it
Lust
I guess the reason the limitation was put in to place was to save space/bandwidth. Having a BAT determine that on a case by case basis is too much time/effort spent on their part when they could be busy actually modding maps (Most barely have time to do that as is). I can mainly see this for mania since standard/taiko/ctb rarely uses too many custom samples. o!m is already a limited market, so I don't know if a change would be reasonable
deadbeat
i'd like to mention that someone made a SB for a map that was so good that people mistook it for a HD video. folder was 10MB
also why do you need 23MB for hitsounds. seriously o.O
Topic Starter
xxbidiao

deadbeat wrote:

i'd like to mention that someone made a SB for a map that was so good that people mistook it for a HD video. folder was 10MB
also why do you need 23MB for hitsounds. seriously o.O
I tried my best to compress the 100M+ wav hitsound into 23M, mentioned in my post.

Actually in a fully customized hitsound map, it is common to have thousands of different hitsound samples, just an average size of 10~20KB would make it a huge mapset.

Vector animations saves space dramatically, so a "HD Video" would consist of only hundreds of 100K pictures with other animations predefined in the osu! program that cost nearly nothing. But you know osu! doesn't have similar things for audio (osu! even doesn't have a midi interpreter!)

I know that it's for space saving issues, so I actually think of another solution:
It is possible to upload a map >25M but not to the server; the file would be uploaded to places like dropbox instead.
When you want to download such map, the link would redirect you to dropbox download page.
It saves space, and make it possible for these over-limit maps to be ranked. (You know a map which can be ranked must be firstly uploaded!)