forum

Hitting "Star Patterns"

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
phi
So I've been playing low insane maps, and I've seen a few of these:

I call them star patterns because they form a star, I don't know if there's an "official" name for them. The problem is, I just can not hit them, I always mess it up and end up moving the pen all over the place. Does anyone happen to have any tips on how I should go about them?
theburgerhd
I had (sometimes still have) the same problem... but I guess you just need to practice on those maps... because I just played them alot and now I can do it. Isn't really a hint for I guess, maybe it's easier with tablet then mouse not sure.
iderekmc
try them with hr
Fzero100
I find that sometimes when I cant hit those types of patterns it's actually my tapping that's the problem and not the pen.
I end up focusing to much on the pen and just forget about tapping in time which screws me over. So try focus more on tapping in time, idk if that's the problem you're facing but it's worth a try.
Soulg
those are tornado jumps

dont look at it the whole pattern look at each note individually and you will do much better
-Chronopolis-
Like the person above said, try to only focus on the note immediately after.

Looking at the first note, as you are going towards it, look for (just) the next note.
Looking at note two, now move towards it, and look for note 3.
etc.

I think this is the way to do it. I mean, how far you look ahead is up to you, but if this isn't obvious already you must track the notes (with your eyes, in your head) in order, to be able to play a star. If you can't, try practicing following the notes in the editor, first at reduced speed.
GoldenWolf

Vazkii wrote:

Ewww.
I don't know what's this, but it's certainly not a star pattern in any way.
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ewww.
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/48801
It is a star pattern...
Myke B

Soulg wrote:

those are tornado jumps

dont look at it the whole pattern look at each note individually and you will do much better
This.
GoldenWolf

YayMii wrote:

It is a star pattern...
I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion.
Soulg

YayMii wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

Ewww.
http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/48801
It is a star pattern...
its a poorly made tornado jump. look at the numbers.
GladiOol

YayMii wrote:

It is a star pattern...
son, have you been smoking your dad's secret stash of crack again?

TakuMii

Soulg wrote:

This is a tornado pattern:

And this is the pattern in question:

I don't see the resemblance.
Synchrostar
what
they're 2 triangles in 1 combo
Soulg
ok fine its not a tornado but last i checked stars had 5 points not 6
Full Tablet

Soulg wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_%28sh ... nted_stars
Soaprman
I'm kind of fond of using seven-pointed stars in my maps, personally.

Perhaps try looking it as three lines (1-2, 3-4, 5-6) and letting your subconscience handle 2-3 and 4-5. Almost as if it were three sliders.
OzzyOzrock
to quote a master on the subject:

"use your tornado punch *wheeze* *wheeze*"

amen.
TakuMii

Soulg wrote:

A star is a type of polygon... it can have any number of points (at least 3).
Purple
Focus on the notes individually... don't try to draw the pattern with your mouse or pen.
Rewben2

Soulg wrote:

5 points = 6 notes. If it was 5 notes it wouldn't be a finished star, it would look like this:

TakuMii

Rewben2 wrote:

Soulg wrote:

5 points = 6 notes. If it was 5 notes it wouldn't be a finished star, it would look like this:
Rewben2

YayMii wrote:

True, but soul made it sound like it did (as in, it had 6 notes and a star has 5 points thus it can't be a star).
RaneFire

Soulg wrote:

So poorly made I wouldn't even bother naming it. It doesn't even have a regular shape.

YayMii wrote:

This is a tornado pattern:
A tornado can be a repeated pattern that swirls, but they aren't called tornados because they are squares first and foremost. The best you can do to describe them is "irregular squares" or "tornado squares" which just adds unneeded complexity. I call this pattern with 5 points or more (i.e. not squares) a polygon. Repeat 5 or more pointed pattern while rotating, and it becomes a tornado polygon...

A typical "point A" to "Point B" jump has no name other than "jump." If you swirl these rotating by 1 circle at a time anti-/clockwise, they are called tornado jumps. The emphasis on tornado is a repeated pattern (with change in rotation), but because it requires repetition, they are quite rare. When I call something a tornado, I refer to this pattern.

Star patterns in osu! can have 5-7 points. A six-pointed star is just 2 triangles so I wouldn't bother naming it more than triangles. At 8 points or more you can have more than a few ways to map them, to either be a tornado, or just simpler patterns like squares combined. It boils down to how you read it, how your cursor moves is secondary, so usually 8 points would be required to qualify as tornado jumps.

I'm sure there's many views on this, but this is my take.
SPOILER

YayMii wrote:

You made a 5-pointed star out of 6 notes, well done, I would never have seen that. It's not closed either. Poor star.
meteor22
lol people can't tell the difference between a star and a square this is hilarious
show more