forum

Offset; what is your and why?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana
I've been interested in this thing for a while, none of my friends who play use the universal offset, but with time I've gone from 20 ms to around 90 (going between 86 and 101) ms and am now seriously interested if it is normal to change the offset like this...
Post your's and a reason if you have one :3 No screenie needed but for the sake of being the starter of the thread I'll put one up.

EDIT: I am changing it not based on whim but on what the Score meter (hit error) says.
Almost
Mine is at -1. Your universal offset should make your music in time with the timing, it's not something you just change on whim.
idkhowtoclick
IMO as long as the map is timed correctly, you don't need to change this
Almost

idkhowtoclick wrote:

IMO as long as the map is timed correctly, you don't need to change this
You should change it because of hardware delays.
Rewben2
I have mine at default (0) because I've never looked into changing it, and don't seem to have problems.
Full Tablet
I have it set to +16 because I get better accuracy with that value, and it's the value where I feel the hit-sounds sync the best with the music in most maps.
Most maps that need a custom offset need a negative value (and that suggest that UO should be higher), but those maps are the exception (they are probably mistimed).
iderekmc

Full Tablet wrote:

I have it set to +16 because I get better accuracy with that value, and it's the value where I feel the hit-sounds sync the best with the music in most maps.
Most maps that need a custom offset need a negative value (and that suggest that UO should be higher), but those maps are the exception (they are probably mistimed).
i think i also hit the notes a bit earlier, i have to try +10
Piotrekol
-81 because of external sound card.
(as i remember i used something like -24 on my integrated one)
A lot of people just have no idea how to set this value property and are sticking /w 0 or random offset :<
Nathanael

Almost wrote:

You should change it because of hardware delays.
This.
-5 because of my monitor.
RaneFire

Piotrekol wrote:

A lot of people just have no idea how to set this value property and are sticking /w 0 or random offset :<
How do you arrive at those values? They look pretty exact so I'm curious if you used a program to find them.

Also this is why I'm sitting at 0 too. I ran the offset wizard once and got -2, but I still couldn't be sure since I don't trust my own hearing and -2 isn't such a big deal... I think... but it's way too small for me to be certain.
Almost

RaneFire wrote:

Piotrekol wrote:

How do you arrive at those values? They look pretty exact so I'm curious if you used a program to find them.

Also this is why I'm sitting at 0 too. I ran the offset wizard once and got -2, but I still couldn't be sure since I don't trust my own hearing and -2 isn't such a big deal... I think... but it's way too small for me to be certain.
I used the offset wizard map and played double tick in the offset wizard and adjusted my offset so that I couldn't tell the difference between the ticks.
f i z i k

Almost wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I used the offset wizard map and played double tick in the offset wizard and adjusted my offset so that I couldn't tell the difference between the ticks.
This is surprisingly hard lol. I have mine at 0 since I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not. Isn't there an easier way to tell? :D
TakuMii
Used the offset wizard after finding that I needed to change the local offset 80% of the time, and put it at -3ms. I still have to change local offset +5ms or -5ms for many maps, but it's not as bad as it used to be. (And I found that clicking the seek bar in the offset wizard will break the timing, which makes offset changes a bit more difficult)

And TBH, if you're having to set your offset that far from 0ms, I think there's something wrong with your setup. Keep in mind that offset moves your hitsounds, not just your timing windows, so putting it that far off will make cause your hitsounds to become unsynchronized with your music (They're supposed to be there to guide you, so I'd recommend finding a way to reduce latency rather than just disabling the sounds altogether).
Piotrekol

Almost wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

[....]

^basically this + checking in editor on correctly timed(and easily SS'able by "you") map(easy and normals excluded).

YayMii wrote:

[..]so putting it that far off will make cause your hitsounds to become unsynchronized with your music [...].
I often have histounds set WAY louder than music itself and it's well synced for me.
- O n i -
0 because i have no idea how to set it up
RaneFire

Almost wrote:

Yeah this is what I did. Offset wizard/map, sorry for confusion. Except that I went into the editor instead and adjusted the offset before. Are you supposed to use the wizard or the editor? Anyway, I did both... both seemed to give me the same result.

I could hear distinctly that it's slightly out of time on 0 (can hear one before the other).

It took me a while to tell what was happening at greater negative values (UO), but I solved that by taking breaks in between listening. So for now it seems like my original estimate of -2 last year was on the right track. I re-listened to -2, -3 and -4 over and over, and it seems like -3 is where it's at.

I then went into the editor and "seeked around" in F3 timing panel as peppy recommended. With it being a default of -6, I changed it to -4 and seeked, heard many places very slightly out of time, very few perfectly in time. Same story for -2. But on -3 there seemed to be very few (1 out of 5) that ended up being out of time, as opposed to more than half being out of time on values either side of that. So since they work opposite directions apparently, adding 3 in the editor translates to -3 in the UO.

Hahaha! Just thought I should add as well... I had sudden memory loss that I changed my offset in the UO to "-3," and I went into the editor again and tried to find a setting again. I was like "WTF -6 sounds in time now? Am I going crazy?" - Went to the UO and was like omg... it's -3... So I think that served as my "blind" test lol.

Thanks for the help, I was just uncertain whether people used a program or not. Hopefully others can use this info to find their offset too.
Rewben2

Almost wrote:

I ran that and it did sound slightly out of sync and a bit better at -4. Thanks for posting that
Topic Starter
laeamminlakana
This is surprisingly hard lol. I have mine at 0 since I have no clue if I'm doing it right or not. Isn't there an easier way to tell? :D

The way I personally ended up at my offset was the score meter (in graphics options) and watching my replays... left side if early and right side is late.
The following pictures show what the setting is and what it looks like in game

Taken from a random gameplay I made for the purpose of showing it
RaneFire
The problem with doing that, for me, is that I've been playing on 0 since forever. So test by playing will be inaccurate since I mentally compensate for it. I needed more technical method.

Since I set it to -3, my general hit error at the results screen has averaged 3ms earlier. I'm going to play some more before finalising, but at least when playing stream maps I am centering on the blue bar almost exactly now, since I listen to the music when streaming and not looking at approach circles. Used HD to make sure and I'm a lot more consistent on streams now. Always wondered why I lost my tempo on streams some times.

Edit:
Doing much better now in terms of consistency, although I'm still early a lot of the time. This beatmap is simple and has a really strong beat, but I still never SS anything on my first play. Tried playing it with HR but I found my reading letting me down as usual. Stuck on HD instead and SS'd it again on my first try... that's an accomplishment for me. Hit error rates still early though because I still read fade-in/out when playing HD. I'm also not that good at HD generally :/
The effects are quite amazing even with such small numbers so I'd recommend everyone find their offset xD

Mathsma
Okay so I have asked this before, but I really want to make sure it's correct. When I try to set my UO it sounds in sync from -4 to +4, if I used kriers' method from another thread I should be using +4, but is that really correct? Wouldn't it make sense for it to be at 0 since that is right in the middle of the audio sync range?
RaneFire

Mathsma wrote:

Okay so I have asked this before, but I really want to make sure it's correct. When I try to set my UO it sounds in sync from -4 to +4, if I used kriers' method from another thread I should be using +4, but is that really correct? Wouldn't it make sense for it to be at 0 since that is right in the middle of the audio sync range?
Use the seek function either in UO or in editor, some times it will be out of sync and you use this as a guide. Whichever offset value gives you the least amount of out of sync sounding ticks, after seeking like 10 times, is what you are looking for. I also couldn't tell the difference between values -1 to -9 before I did this. Apparently osu! has some random delay from 1-3ms when seeking and that's why it helps narrow it down a bit. Also take breaks between listening when you start narrowing down your offset to a final value. This also can take quite a bit of time, in my case, over an hour.
GoldenWolf
Mine is -1.
You'd ask "But why -1? How can one millisecond make any difference?"
On some maps like this one https://osu.ppy.sh/b/274276&m=0 the difference is from ~120 UR with 0 to ~95 UR with -1

I found -1 by the same way as Almost, using peppy's offset wizard in the Offset Wizard
show more