forum

Adjusting to new tablet area

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
[ Zan ]
So right now this is my current tablet area that I've been playing with since about mid-July (when I got tablet)

I'm playing with it fine but when I look at replays I notice that I'm not very accurate and I'm wondering if I should spend a lot of time trying to adjust areas. I prefer smaller areas (when playing with mouse I used really high DPI) because I don't like to move my hand around but only my fingers. If it really IS a good idea to train myself to adjust to a larger area, would it be best to just set a large area and practice that or would it be better to gradually increase the area?

EDIT: forgot to mention that the screen resolution I play on is full screen 1366x768 if that matters
Myke B
Everyone (even top players) use their own area. With that being said, I use to use full area with 1024 x 768 resolution. My hand always got put in an awkward position, and I didn't like the smaller circles. I switched it to about the size you have it now, and play full screen (1920 x 1080) this is more comfortable for me, so I play like this now. Before I found that this was best for me, I tried medium size area with various resolutions, small with various resolutions, full with various resolutions, etc. If you are uncomfortable with how it is now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to find a best area for you. If you are going to switch it up a lot, you need to give it a couple of days, because it won't magically feel better or be better. Give everything a try until you find what's best. Good luck.
Omgforz
With that area you're not going to have a lot of success in the long run.

How you increase it is up to you. I just went cold turkey from a smaller area to full area, rather than gradually increasing it, since I knew I won't be changing it again. Gradually changing might be better for you, since the combination of full screen and full area is just too much.

Either you're incredibly inconsistent due to shaking at faster songs with a small area, or you miss because your hand is tired because of a huge area.
While shaking is hard to fight against, because you're human after all, fatigue is just a small obstacle which can be overcome by practicing.
Cozzzy
A lot of people will probably say gradual but imo, just go straight for a large area. Increasing it gradually seems to just encourage using the same grip, so I ended up hurting my hand with my tense small-area grip being stretched until I had to learn a completely new one for bigger movements anyway :o
Soulg
you adjust by playing with it. but that area is incredibly small, use like 1/4 of the tablet at least (or as a base) and find something comfortable from there.
TakuMii
I'd say that you should probably switch to a bigger area. Try to find the biggest area that allows you to comfortably reach all 4 sides of the screen, and stick with it until you get used to it, and you should then start to see improvement.
[ Katsu ]
IMO playing with an area that small forces a certain style of pen grip that isn't suited to larger areas, so if you do want to increase your tablet area make quite a big jump to start (your current area x4 or something?). You will quickly find that you need a new pen grip to comfortably play this area which is probably just as hard to find as your perfect play area.

Spend some time getting comfortable with pen grips then increase your tablet area slightly, play like this for a few days then increase it some more.

When i used this method I didn't need any time to adjust to the new area, i adapted straight away to the larger area, though it may be different for you!

Good luck!