forum

question about practicing stream stamina/speed

posted
Total Posts
show more
GoldenWolf
the most effective way to train speed is by playing maps that are a bit faster than your comfort zone in term of speed and play these until they don't feel that hard anymore

it can takes ages to improve speed, it's like the skill that improves the slowet out of anything, 1 month is pretty much nothing for that
RaneFire
I'd advise improving speed without exerting yourself, so play streams short enough that you can handle without getting tired, but slightly too fast to get 300's on consistently. Up to 50 notes is usually about right... and maps which also have fast singles and triplets (etc.) will help to speed up your transitions between tapping/streaming.

Train stamina on slower streams where you can still remain consistent even when you start to get tired, just make sure you're getting tired, or else pick a higher BPM... it's like running, you don't build stamina by running your fastest and burning out instantly, you just run slower for longer.
Topic Starter
Mazzerin

RaneFire wrote:

I'd advise improving speed without exerting yourself, so play streams short enough that you can handle without getting tired, but slightly too fast to get 300's on consistently. Up to 50 notes is usually about right... and maps which also have fast singles and triplets (etc.) will help to speed up your transitions between tapping/streaming.

Train stamina on slower streams where you can still remain consistent even when you start to get tired, just make sure you're getting tired, or else pick a higher BPM... it's like running, you don't build stamina by running your fastest and burning out instantly, you just run slower for longer.
I've actually been hearing the opposite: people tell me the more pain you feel the better it is, so all I have to do is spam maps until I get so tired I can't tap. Not sure if it's true, but I've improved by a tiny bit in the past few days by doing that, I've tried the stack and single tapping technique but it got me nowhere when it came to high BPM streams :( as for the accuracy part, I don't think it has much to do with how fast you can go but rather how good you can sustain that exact BPM you need.
RaneFire

Mazzerin wrote:

I've actually been hearing the opposite: people tell me the more pain you feel the better it is, so all I have to do is spam maps until I get so tired I can't tap. Not sure if it's true, but I've improved by a tiny bit in the past few days by doing that, I've tried the stack and single tapping technique but it got me nowhere when it came to high BPM streams :( as for the accuracy part, I don't think it has much to do with how fast you can go but rather how good you can sustain that exact BPM you need.
Depends how young you are, your ability to recover, and how prone you are to RSI. Past activities help in that department. It's just hitting buttons, afterall, you get tired one way or the other. The difference is that one can cause damage.
Topic Starter
Mazzerin

RaneFire wrote:

Mazzerin wrote:

Depends how young you are, your ability to recover, and how prone you are to RSI. Past activities help in that department. It's just hitting buttons, afterall, you get tired one way or the other. The difference is that one can cause damage.
mm, I've been spamming this http://osu.ppy.sh/b/207088&m=0 on 140bpm for the past 2 days and I've already gotten from 43% to 55% in that time(yeah it's terrible but it still is progress)
as for the RSI, I don't know much about it, but would stretching exercises before/in between/after streaming sessions help?
Soarezi
Pain is a good sign. Also try rubberdomes theyre the best. Just look at isokasapupuja. That guy fcs crazy hot with dt after a year of playing with rubbers 99.32% acc hehehehahahaha
Topic Starter
Mazzerin

Soarezi wrote:

Pain is a good sign. Also try rubberdomes theyre the best. Just look at isokasapupuja. That guy fcs crazy hot with dt after a year of playing with rubbers 99.32% acc hehehehahahaha
nah I like mechs much more (not sure if you were serious)
Soarezi

Mazzerin wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

im so serious man, rubberdomes clearly are superior. ask thelewa
RaneFire

Mazzerin wrote:

mm, I've been spamming this http://osu.ppy.sh/b/207088&m=0 on 140bpm for the past 2 days and I've already gotten from 43% to 55% in that time(yeah it's terrible but it still is progress)
as for the RSI, I don't know much about it, but would stretching exercises before/in between/after streaming sessions help?
Aye not too great there. I started stamina training at 160 bpm, not really sure how I got there in the first place seeing as some people are much slower, but I was never fast either.

Stretching helped me (Incoming opinion and personal experience):

While I was practicing 220 bpm for the first time, to break my limits, I stretched at every break in the maps I was practicing... every break. It really helped to keep my fingers doing the proper motion without seizing up and staying stuck on the buttons. I couldn't maintain it for very long which is why I needed to stretch.

Any keyboard is ok if it's good quality. Fact is most desktop bundled rubbers are not. I had 4 rubbers, all got their keys stuck more than 3 times in the space of 1000 combo maps. Easy way to break combo. Gave up, bought the cheapest mech, since I knew that mechanical switches don't get stuck.
iSpR1Te

Mazzerin wrote:

I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing as you. (same map, same bpm, same accuracy) Except I've been doing it for 2 months now. I started out at about 15-20% on it but with about 250-400 plays (playing it every day), I can finish it at about 50-60%. My biggest issue is just keeping a steady pace the whole map and not so much of me getting to tired. Honestly to most people, this is pretty slow but from what I started at, this is a HUGE improvement.

If you are not a natural at streaming, it's takes a lot work and practice to become good at it.
Reborn
I think u benefit much more from long osu sessions.
for example: (3 hours on 1 day) > (30 min everyday 6 days long)

better for stamina and speed. Maybe i'm wrong, but that's my experience.
RaneFire

R3b0rn wrote:

3 hours everyday for 6 days is better :P

I don't think it works out quite that way, but I would recommend 1 very long session at least once a week. Shorter sessions for the rest of the week so you can recover.

I also feel that I should say practicing streams with such terrible accuracy is something I never did. I started playing alternating style from day 1 though, so... exception. I also played alternating for the next 4 months before I even streamed for the first time when I started playing insanes.
Wishy
Nevermind.
iWhorse

Mazzerin wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

pretty sure i still stream better with my membrane keyboard than my blues\reds

been using mechs for at least a good 6-8 months now too(just got my reds a couple of weeks ago though)

R3b0rn wrote:

research has been done on this kind of thing, and you are indeed correct
[ Katsu ]
Has anyone benefited from playing the long stream practice maps? Personally I hate them and wouldn't recommend anyone to use them...
Maybe i'm on my own here but the pace of a beatmap is what I use to judge streams... Without that it is just a disaster.
Rewben2

[ Katsu ] wrote:

Has anyone benefited from playing the long stream practice maps? Personally I hate them and wouldn't recommend anyone to use them...
Maybe i'm on my own here but the pace of a beatmap is what I use to judge streams... Without that it is just a disaster.
I haven't practised with them, but when I start playing I tend to start with one of them or another stream map just to get my fingers going.
RaneFire

[ Katsu ] wrote:

I've played them a lot, and I only benefited in 1 area... stamina. But having the stamina to maintain a consistent pace also leads to better accuracy, however I did not learn to stream on deathstreams. I learned to stream on my stream practice maps list, playing lots of maps that have streams in them, amongst many other things, rather than being entirely 1 stream.

There's lots to be learned about consistency, reading and keeping tempo, which you will not get just from deathstreams. You have to play a variety of stuff, at different speeds, AR's, spacing, patterns and circle sizes... and that's how most people got good at this game... playing everything.

I'm so full of skepticism right now about if these guys who are starting with deathstreams, without being able to stream in the first place, will actually pull through. Maybe someone has?
GoldenWolf
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/89799 This map is a good practice map for various things other than raw stamina (which isn't really helpful in most cases)
Mizuno Yui
I just started playing them recently, and my streaming skills were... godawful to say the least. I was struggling to finish the 120bpm beatmap and my hand hurt like hell. However, as my stamina started increasing, now I can actually practice "normal" maps containing streams without having to take a break after every 2 - 3 songs. My accuracy still sucks, but there is a visible progress as far as I'm concerned.
Weed
those stream practice maps are really nice if you set od to 10
[ Katsu ]

RaneFire wrote:

[ Katsu ] wrote:

I've played them a lot, and I only benefited in 1 area... stamina. But having the stamina to maintain a consistent pace also leads to better accuracy, however I did not learn to stream on deathstreams. I learned to stream on my stream practice maps list, playing lots of maps that have streams in them, amongst many other things, rather than being entirely 1 stream.

There's lots to be learned about consistency, reading and keeping tempo, which you will not get just from deathstreams. You have to play a variety of stuff, at different speeds, AR's, spacing, patterns and circle sizes... and that's how most people got good at this game... playing everything.

I'm so full of skepticism right now about if these guys who are starting with deathstreams, without being able to stream in the first place, will actually pull through. Maybe someone has?
I wonder the same as you. And that is exactly the way I've learned to stream so far.
Dexus
Get consistent at what you can do before you try to push your limits. From my personal experience I just kept playing what I could and pushing to slightly faster maps. I always go back and play slower stuff to ensure I'm not mashing. It's a slow method but it works. Jumping to higher stuff first really didn't help me. If you find yourself mashing out of desperation without knowing at all what's going on and what you're hitting it will not work out. Another thing is to try to listen to what the notes themselves correlate to in the song. Listening is a key part in streaming and the game in general (duh it's a rhythm game). Play a variety of maps too; grinding one map never helps you improve.

I'm a crap player but if a crap player can show large improvements I'm certain it works.

Edit:
I also forgot; don't tense up at all. Keep relaxed and have a good posture. Anything that inhibits your movements or causes you strain/pain is not good at all. It could be a sign you're screwing your hand up.
Layne_old_1

[ Katsu ] wrote:

<--- a lot of accuracy + some stamina (although too lazy to fix 160//180 bpm scores)

Topic Starter
Mazzerin
yeah well I've been playing the various stream practice map and used the RaneFire's stream list a lot for the past 2 days, and it has helped me. I can now do 175~ bpm (not extremely long) streams fine, and short-medium length 200 bpm ones. Thanks
Although I have some problems with maps like Mendes, no idea why but I just keep fucking up my accuracy on some parts in that map.
Soulg
i prefer the regular stream practice maps (the ones by newrulerna) because the long ones may help with brute stamina but they dont do anything for streaming with the rhythm, whereas these have good stamina help but also help you stream to the beat bercause it is somewhat mapped.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/137126