bewaredrev wrote:

yaayyyyy what is this?
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync
chanhien
200$ :O huh wat?
Espionage724

chanhien wrote:

$200 for a proprietary tear-free solution.

I'll personally either just ignore what little tearing I do see, keep using my traditional Vsync method that works fine, or wait and see if AMD's FreeSync project takes off (couldn't pay me enough to use a NVIDIA GPU).
strikeR

Espionage724 wrote:

chanhien wrote:

$200 for a proprietary tear-free solution.

I'll personally either just ignore what little tearing I do see, keep using my traditional Vsync method that works fine, or wait and see if AMD's FreeSync project takes off (couldn't pay me enough to use a NVIDIA GPU).
Explain please.
TakuMii

Espionage724 wrote:

I'll personally either just ignore what little tearing I do see
It really depends on your hardware and the type of game you're playing. In some situations, they're very difficult to ignore, and the tearing does nothing but distract you or break your immersion.

Espionage724 wrote:

keep using my traditional Vsync method that works fine
I disagree entirely. Stutter and input lag give me enough reason to avoid Vsync in just about every situation.

Espionage724 wrote:

or wait and see if AMD's FreeSync project takes off (couldn't pay me enough to use a NVIDIA GPU).
I might not be able to convince you to switch to Nvidia, but keep in mind that FreeSync is a technology designed to lower the power consumption of LCDs, not as a competitor product to G-Sync. FreeSync uses triple-buffering to work (meaning that it will still have the problem of input lag), and support won't be as wide as the news articles seem to indicate. It's a feature designed for laptops, so there's also the possibility that current-day desktop LCDs will not support it.
Topic Starter
Dexus
Freesync takes advantage of VBLANK feature on monitors, so companies like BenQ which support it will probably implement it. It will probably be just for laptops still. Plus as YayMii said the triple buffer is a bad idea. Any sort of buffer you add onto the display will cause latency. Working with g-sync you don't have to buffer anything, it just displays right away what it has. Also with freesync it just seems like some sort of software bound lightboost.

I totally agree that it's crappy that only nvidia has access to this and that you have to pay so much, but it's new technology. It WILL get cheaper because that's just how things work. Also they showcased g-sync on 4k, so that's really something to look forward to.

Edit: My g-sync kit just came in; I'll be doing an unboxing and testing of it to see how well it performs http://twitch.tv/dexus136

Edit2: G-sync works really well, the latency is reduced a lot and the image is really clear. Only problem is that osu! needs an unbuffered display method of some sort for it to work really well. I don't even know if that's possible. Worth buying.
MoteOfDust
More just interested in posting in a dexus thread /twitchfanboy

But seriously, will most likely be getting gsync next pay. Playing a lot of heavily modded (enb) Skyrim, along with other new games, what's another 200$usd I guess...

Linus from ncix/linus tech tips really seemed to like gsync a lot, and I am easily shilled to.
Espionage724

YayMii wrote:

It really depends on your hardware and the type of game you're playing. In some situations, they're very difficult to ignore, and the tearing does nothing but distract you or break your immersion.
I can agree with that, although mainly with the games I play, tearing doesn't really bother me. General computer usage however (like moving folders, web browsing, etc.) makes Vsync rather noticeable and annoying to me.

YayMii wrote:

I disagree entirely. Stutter and input lag give me enough reason to avoid Vsync in just about every situation.
I rarely use Vsync in games mainly because I don't like added input latency, but if it's something non-competitive or Singleplayer, I'll use it.

YayMii wrote:

I might not be able to convince you to switch to Nvidia, but keep in mind that FreeSync is a technology designed to lower the power consumption of LCDs, not as a competitor product to G-Sync. FreeSync uses triple-buffering to work (meaning that it will still have the problem of input lag), and support won't as wide as the news articles seem to indicate. It's a feature designed for laptops, so there's also the possibility that current-day desktop LCDs will not support it.
Hmm, I see.

Dexus wrote:

I totally agree that it's crappy that only nvidia has access to this and that you have to pay so much, but it's new technology. It WILL get cheaper because that's just how things work. Also they showcased g-sync on 4k, so that's really something to look forward to.
Yeah I imagine it will get cheaper over time. It does seem like it's a good concept though.