forum

Level/Ranking/Ability

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cruex
A lot of players are up in the 95+ levels range on the game, but can't play at a very high level. For instance, if I look at the ranking chart I could find a level 100 player ranked anywhere in the range of 10k-8k and at the same time find players from 1k-1 with the same amount of plays/levels but, as shown with a much better rank and probably ability to play more difficult maps. My point is, what is it that distinguishes the skill level between these groups of players given so many similarities, did they learn something differently as they experienced the game, what was it that made them better, is it inherent or something in the way they learned/trained themselves, just curious, I'd like to develop good habits while I'm still learning and found this as interesting
Pettanko
level doesn't mean shit and people progress at different rates, multi-accounting is also a possibility
dennischan
you still have a lot to learn~~~
It's already widely accepted that rank has little relationship with skill
and scores has no relationship with rank.
skill in playing this game has no real relationship with either score or rank.
Let's just say that WWW decided to multi-account (not likely though)
He would have #0 rank but highest (or maybe second-highest) skill in this game.
He'd also be lvl1.
So rank, plays, score, has absolutely no relationship with skill.
Just play more harder maps and you'll get better~~~
Full Tablet
The skill difference between level 100 players is mainly because it takes a lot of points to get to level 101.

People with similar playcount and very different skill levels exist mainly because of the difference between the maps they play (playing easy Insanes for 40k plays won't make you improve as fast as playing really hard maps earlier). Also several hard maps aren't ranked/approved, so people who train with them appear with a much lower playcount than they really have.
dennischan
Best habit that you can get is to play more maps.
You can start with 0108 and skystar , RLC etc.
then you can try freedom dive, big black and scarlet rose.
But you should first finish Can't Defeat Airman cause its one of the eaiser maps.
Topic Starter
cruex

dennischan wrote:

It's already widely accepted that rank has little relationship with skill
I would argue against that, there is a correlation between rank and skill, someone sub 10k is better than someone above 20k aside from probably a handful of exceptions. And I'd go farther to assume that rank becomes an even better determinant of skill as you get lower and lower into the ranking ladder. I understand people do things like farm pp, but my point was directed towards players with the same amount of playing experience but different skill level using rank as a benchmark.

dennischan wrote:

Just play more harder maps and you'll get better~~~
So basically steepening the learning curve is the most efficient way to improving more in a similar amount of time
TY :)
Nakage

dennischan wrote:

Best habit that you can get is to play more maps.
You can start with 0108 and skystar , RLC etc.
then you can try freedom dive, big black and scarlet rose.
But you should first finish Can't Defeat Airman cause its one of the eaiser maps.
8/10

A lot of the songs that really improve your rank a lot aren't that hard. Some people progress faster than others, some people have more potential than others. I truly believe that it's not about play count or duration of playing, but more of how long do you play a day. I'm still new to this game (~3 months), so I'm still trying to find out the best way to practice.

But I rarely play maps that I can't beat.
Myke B
There obviously is some what of a correlation between rank and skill.. However, This does not mean that, just because you are a higher rank than someone, means you are better. A really good example of this is: I'm rank 9.something K and I can play beatmaps anywhere from 200bpm to 300 (depending on the map). My bud Iwhorse is rank 20k I think, but can play WAAY harder maps than I can. This is due to how we've been playing since we started. I started really low and worked my way up focusing on accuracy (not really pushing my skill). I can do some insane maps with DT, but not very many, but I can do a lot of maps with hidden. He always plays out of his comfort zone and improved at the game much faster than me because of it. It's all about how you practice. I played for rank for when I first started, he played to get better. I'f I could do it all over again, I would go for improvement over rank, because in the long run, improvement will get you a better rank.
uzzi
Like Myke B says, you shouldn't really give a crap about your so called 'rank', rather set goals and milestones for yourself and work towards those.
Soarezi
level doesnt mean anything
Ephemeral
there is generally no correlation between level and skill other than net time spent playing the game, which is loosely correlated with an increased level of skill (generally)

I was #3 in Australia at one point which should put this (and the ranking aspect of skill assessment) into perspective quite nicely given that I am a pretty average player overall
Nakage
oh, as far as player level goes, it has such low relation to skill.

I'm level 72 and rank 5975 (at this moment in time). It doesn't mean I'm good, but it doesn't mean I'm bad. I pretty much just figured out the best way to gain ranks and caught onto the game a bit easier than most.
iderekmc

Nakage wrote:

I'm level 72 and rank 5975 (at this moment in time). It doesn't mean I'm good, but it doesn't mean I'm bad. I pretty much just figured out the best way to gain ranks and caught onto the game a bit easier than most.
lol 1k plays so fake (or the PP system is fucking broken) With this progression, u will be rank 1 in a couple of months or less
Kumiho

Nakage wrote:

1.7k plays lol
Soulg

iderekmc wrote:

Nakage wrote:

lol 1k plays so fake (or the PP system is fucking broken) With this progression, u will be rank 1 in a couple of months or less
oh my god no

are you forgetting diminishing returns for pp? i can make a new account and get 4000 pp for certain scores and get 0 pp for the same thing on this one.
Rewben2

Soulg wrote:

oh my god no

are you forgetting diminishing returns for pp? i can make a new account and get 4000 pp for certain scores and get 0 pp for the same thing on this one.
His rank is still absurd for his playcount, although there's no way he's getting rank 1 in the span of a few months.
Soulg
yes that's what I mean.

he could also have played a bunch offline, or made a new account at some point, or anything really.

plus he has a bunch of hard scores, so while impressive i'd say its only a bit above average.
Me168
Level =/= Rank =/= Ability

There are some cases where Level = Rank = Ability, but this becomes more frequent (With discrepancies still) when you get closer to #1. I'm Lvl 76, #67,803, and I suck at the game compared to others. However, I have taken down people in the #15,000-10,000 Range in the past, mostly due to them doing nothing but PP farming easy maps consistently.

Overall the PP system is very broken, but if you enjoy competing with PP scores (much like I do), feel free too. but just because someone is a high rank does not mean they can perform as a high ranking person should if the PP system worked and took into account song difficulty
Dexus
Numbers don't define a person.
Myke B

Dexus wrote:

Numbers don't define a person.
I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a community where they will not be judged by the rank of their Osu! account, but by how well they play scarlet rose.
Nakage
Sorry that out of 3 million players it's hard to imagine that there aren't a few people who can catch onto a game like this easily (After playing a lot of guitar hero/rock band, ddr/stepmania, audiosurf, elite beat agents, beatmania, ds games on an emulator, drawing pictures on my tablet, drawing without a tablet, guitar, piano, violin, etc.), but hey, if someone got a higher rank than you in a lower amount of time they must be a fake.

I talked to few people above rank 100, watched numerous videos on live osu playing, picked and chose advice from people I found credible (people being what I would call good), watched people of all skill levels (rank 400k - rank 1, through that span I saw the bottom and the top) to determine what exactly was the difference between the mindset of the low rank user vs. the high rank user. I asked a lot of questions, looked at the best performances list (that thing on your profile) of hundreds of users, asked which things I should look for in a song to get pp from some of the top users. I have spent many, many hours just studying (not even playing), but because you couldn't do it, I must just be a fake. My rank actually isn't even that high. I'll admit, I played the game for about a month offline before I made an account (My friend got my into the game and I downloaded every beatmap pack, so playing offline wasn't hard).

So, hypocritical much that these numbers that 'don't matter' can just irritate someone when someone gets higher numbers than you in a shorter amount of time. All this thread has taught me from that is that they do matter, but I know better than that. Rank is more of a reliability factor. A higher rank (past like 3k-5k) means that someone is 'more likely' good, but doesn't mean that they are for sure. I've already reached about a few hundred ranks within the highest rank I can possibly get until I learn how to play songs perfectly on hidden, but I can only chalk that down to inexperience.

The fact that I can barely gain any ranks until I master hidden shows that rank starts to mean at least a little something at some point, but almost nothing before that point.

(Sorry if I come off a little harsh, I just really like this game and find it offensive if someone discredits all the work I've put into learning this game.)
RaneFire
You guys forget that the PP system was made so players didn't have to play a shitton of maps to get anywhere in the rankings. But now that someone has done that, it's even more broken than before. I guess we are impossible to please with a ranking system.

Anyway he's not actually that bad. And let's not forget that a lot of players never touched a tablet until they found osu!, whereas this guy did. Pretty sure that helps to cut down the learning curve a little, which is already pretty fast with tablet compared to mouse. I don't know what that has to do with pressing buttons though, but I'm sure that his prior rhythm game experience helps in the tapping area a lot.
Nakage

RaneFire wrote:

I'm sure that his prior rhythm game experience helps in the tapping area a lot.
Right. I've also played a lot of guitar and violin beforehand as well, so syncing the 2 was fairly easy.

The PP system at the moment is highly based over quality rather than quantity, as you've stated. The only issue is what determines quality. There's a large flaw in it and I figured it out, though not completely. I'm still trying to learn about it, and maybe I can talk to peppy later on once I figure out a bit more about the pp system.
MarioBound
Level is just a measurement to show how much you have played osu!
In other words, how no life one is.