forum

what are the @2x files in skins?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iderekmc
there are some things like cursor@2x in the skins, what is the meaning exactly ov the @2x and are we supposed to rename it if we want to use it?
Coffee Hero
It makes the skin element appear in a higher resolution. @2x is always used instead of 1x if you're playing at a resolution past 1280xXXXX.
Kitsunemimi
The @2x files mean that those are 2x resolution images. They're basically versions of the standard skin elemwnt at double the resolution. These are used for high ingame resolutions (so you don't rename them)
Topic Starter
iderekmc
are they activated automatically? i dont unerstand i play at 1366x768 and thats more than 720p, but i see the normal thing not the 2x
RBRat3
Yes its activated automatically when the resolution exceeds 900px in height (if memory serves me right).
MLGnom
You can force high resolution (or low if you need) by editing osu!<username>.cfg in your osu! folder.
HighResolution = 0
LowResolution = 0

Just change to 1 what you need.

High resolution is also activated when your game resolution have 800px or more in height.

So yeah, 1366x768 will use standard resolution. It's doesn't need better quality of images because standard parts are using 768px height.
OsuMe65
Let's end this.

To make those, double the standard resolution. Better double the resolution first, make your element and shrink it back to the standard size

eg.

I have a 256x256 hit300.png
I'll multiply it by 2. I'll get a 512x512 and that's the resolution of my hit300@2x.png
Topic Starter
iderekmc
but do u reccommend me to change anything or to activate high resolution?
deadbeat

MLGnom wrote:

You can force high resolution (or low if you need) by editing osu!<username>.cfg in your osu! folder.
HighResolution = 0
LowResolution = 0

Just change to 1 what you need.

High resolution is also activated when your game resolution have 800px or more in height.

So yeah, 1366x768 will use standard resolution. It's doesn't need better quality of images because standard parts are using 768px height.
also please use this thread for any further issues/questions -> t/51694

also your avatar is pretty bad, i'd suggest changing it