forum

Modder of the month

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli
Just crossed my mind.

Why not have a "Modder of the month" ...achievement maybe? Or even better... A medal that would go to your profile.
(Medal + Achievement :D)

I guess that this could incentive modders to mod more, get better etc.

You could even go further and make a "Player of the month" achievement / medal.

"Mapper of the month"
"GMT of the month"
"BAT of the month"

Say you earned the medal more than once, if so, you will see a number under it which represents the number of medals you have earned. (The achievement will remain the same)

Thanks.

EDIT: yeah i forgot to say how would this be determined. And well, the same way that BATS / Peppy and the rest of the team determines who is a good option for being a BAT / GMT i guess.

I will leave that decision for the osu! team. I'm not really sure on how to determine it.
If you guys can come up with any ideas on how to do so, then i'm all ears eyes.
WyndII
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Mystearica
I think your idea has merit but it needs some fine-tuning.

Mapper/modder of the month would be very hard to determine and there is already the BAT ranking so you'd have to come up with some ways to measure this kind of stuff.
Gemi
Stuff like this has been suggested before and shot down, because often things like this only promote negative behavior (abusing the system that ranks people and then jealousy from others, fracturing the community). I don't remember right now where the best discussions on this were, but could've been in the mod area in which case I can't post you a link to it.
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli

Gemi wrote:

Stuff like this has been suggested before and shot down, because often things like this only promote negative behavior (abusing the system that ranks people and then jealousy from others, fracturing the community). I don't remember right now where the best discussions on this were, but could've been in the mod area in which case I can't post you a link to it.
If it affects the community well then i guess it shouldn't be approved.

Oh and Gemi, i loled at your sig. :P
minyeob
Mapper ranking-> Impossible.
BAT of the month-> Maybe peppy can add "Last 30 days" instead of "Last 7 days" on BAT ranking. Or adding "Last 30 days" is fine, too.
Modder of the month-> Lastest earned kudosu for 30 days might be a requirement.
Gemi

Sir Minelli wrote:

Oh and Gemi, i loled at your sig. :P
;)
Derekku
Incentives might actually work... (through an achievement or subscription or something) Pending Beatmaps could always use more help from the community :T
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli

Gemi wrote:

Stuff like this has been suggested before and shot down, because often things like this only promote negative behavior (abusing the system that ranks people and then jealousy from others, fracturing the community).

Well Gemi the jealousy might apply maybe for other topics / ideas, but what is wrong with working really hard on helping the community, and getting some merit?

I mean, i wouldn't feel jealous of someone who actually got to be the Modder of the month.

Actually i would feel REALLY proud of him.
Gemi

Sir Minelli wrote:

I mean, i wouldn't feel jealous of someone who actually got to be the Modder of the month.

Actually i would feel REALLY proud of him.
In a perfect world everyone would. In this world however, not so much. People (not everyone, but quite a few anyway) tend to get jealous whenever someone else gets something (stuff, recognition, etc) that they don't, even if they wouldn't deserve it themselves. In this case the people to get jealous would most likely be those who also do a lot of modding, but lose in the ranking to the guy who then gets the "modder of the month" award. As peppy has said earlier concerning the achievements, rewards need to be something that everyone can get, not just a limited selection of people. So instead of a "modder of the month" award given to one person, we could have a badge that is given to everyone who gets past a certain benchmark. This system still doesn't remove the abuse possibility, but with an intelligent ranking method abusing the system could be made quite hard.
anonymous_old

Gemi wrote:

As peppy has said earlier concerning the achievements, rewards need to be something that everyone can get, not just a limited selection of people. So instead of a "modder of the month" award given to one person, we could have a badge that is given to everyone who gets past a certain benchmark.
I have to disagree here.

The "modder of the month" would be a badge, like the badges for the tag tourney winners.

I'm on the people-will-get-jealous boat.
0_o
I got jealous the the tag winners even though I wasn't in the competition, I already have a subscription to osu!, and I wouldn't have had a chance anyway. So yeah :P

A kudosu achievement would be cool though.
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli
Same thing happens with a certain job.

People get the worker of the month, and the other ones get jealous.

But after all, there was a good reason for him to be chosen, and the rest should effort themselves even more for obtaining that particular "badge"

I find the argument of "Jealousy" pretty stupid.

I would totally agree with this feature EVEN if i knew i would feel a bit jealous about another player / BAT / modder getting the badge instead of myself. But guess what, i would work harder next time to see if i obtain it.

I believe that everyone should do the same, and if they do not want to work harder, then well, there is no reason to be jealous after all.

NOW...if you guys feel that the jealousy will reach maybe HIGHER LVLS such as "I WANT TO BE A BAT, WHY DID HE GET CHOSEN AND I DIDN'T"

Then FUCK NO.

If the community is THAT STUPID, then i guess this wouldn't work.

This feature would work for NON IMMATURE PEOPLE.

So yeah....
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli
Azure_Kite

Sir Minelli wrote:

I'm not really sure on how to determine it.
I would imagine one solution would be to grab to top 10/20 kudosu earners each month and get a select group of judges to check a portion of their recent mod posts in order to help guage how much work they've put into modding over the month. The judges would vote independently of one another and the person with the highest number of votes gets the medal. If more than one person has the same number of votes, the vote is conducted again between the people with the same number of votes.

Of course, this method would be subjective, and there would inevitably be people who get jealous over not being chosen over another person, but at the end of the day that's just more motivation to try harder next month, right?
Lissette
I like the idea of modder of the month for incentivate ppl to mod

Azure_Kyte wrote:

Sir Minelli wrote:

I'm not really sure on how to determine it.
I would imagine one solution would be to grab to top 10/20 kudosu earners each month and get a select group of judges to check a portion of their recent mod posts in order to help guage how much work they've put into modding over the month. The judges would vote independently of one another and the person with the highest number of votes gets the medal. If more than one person has the same number of votes, the vote is conducted again between the people with the same number of votes.

Of course, this method would be subjective, and there would inevitably be people who get jealous over not being chosen over another person, but at the end of the day that's just more motivation to try harder next month, right?
I think your idea is good but this method is hard to do, I mean there are problems with all the maps that aren't modded, 'cuz there are too much, and you'are suggesting that ppl mod the modderations.... i think that would be a mayor problem, that's my opinion....

One solution to do this would be making a kudosu ranking per month, the rank #1 of the month recive the badge or whatever the price is.... I know this way would be a ranking of who has more kudosu per month and not who makes better moderations, but this can be an incentive as well and is the easier way that i found....
WyndII

Lissette wrote:

I like the idea of modder of the month for incentivate ppl to mod

Azure_Kyte wrote:

I think your idea is good but this method is hard to do, I mean there are problems with all the maps that aren't modded, 'cuz there are too much, and you'are suggesting that ppl mod the modderations.... i think that would be a mayor problem, that's my opinion....

One solution to do this would be making a kudosu ranking per month, the rank #1 of the month recive the badge or whatever the price is.... I know this way would be a ranking of who has more kudosu per month and not who makes better moderations, but this can be an incentive as well and is the easier way that i found....
You mean, every month kudos counter is reset? of course total kudos earned should be in profy ;)
If kudos counter is not reset then our every modder of the month is SFG ftw <,<... :|
Ephemeral
More motivation to try harder? Yeah, right. All this is going to do is cause conflict for absolutely no ulterior gain whatsoever.

People are going to mod for the achievement rather than modding because they actually care about the quality of the maps people play. That being said, people mod for the kudosu more than anything else anyway so consider that entire point moot.

People know who the good modders are for specific things anyway. They gain acclaim through their own accord - they don't need achievements that nobody will ever look at to do it for them.
Topic Starter
Sir Minelli
show more