forum

Steam.

posted
Total Posts
show more
boat

CDFA wrote:

It's sort of illegal like Marijuana is illegal in the United States (aka. It's against the law but authorities really don't give a shit like smh niggas be postin their dank kush on instagram be like "lol blaze it #420 #yolo #swiggin).
If to use dank as an analogy then the osu! client is the equivalent of selling a bong.

Distributing the osu! client through steam should have no legal issues, the beatmaps however will not be available through steam and thus it would be redundant. Other than publicity, there are no benefits. You can manually add the game to your library if you want to use the overlay.
Topic Starter
Myke B
Yeah, I was gonna say. Steam might act as "that" guy who is super paranoid about smoking, and doesn't want anything to do with it. Not to say "that" guy is wrong or right, or bad or good. I could see that being a problem.
Topic Starter
Myke B

boat wrote:

CDFA wrote:

It's sort of illegal like Marijuana is illegal in the United States (aka. It's against the law but authorities really don't give a shit like smh niggas be postin their dank kush on instagram be like "lol blaze it #420 #yolo #swiggin).
If to use dank as an analogy then the osu! client is the equivalent of selling a bong.

Distributing the osu! client through steam should have no legal issues, the beatmaps however will not be available through steam and thus it would be redundant. Other than publicity, there are no benefits. You can manually add the game to your library if you want to use the overlay.
Isn't my whole point about publicity? It's pretty obvious that, that is the only benefit. What this whole thing is really about, is people have this "circle jerk" mentality, and that change is bad, and they come up with these statements with nobody saying anything against it. That statement being "Osu! doesn't need to be bigger". I want to challenge that statement, because I don't think anyone really is. That, and I'm sick the forums being so freakin' dull, and no new top players.
WolfCoder

boat wrote:

...If to use dank as an analogy then the osu! client is the equivalent of selling a bong...
No.

It's nothing like any of you have described. Peppy is using the DMCA safe harbor laws. This means all of us become responsible for our conduct so long as the website complies. It's ironic the same law that causes so many copyright troll problems is the same law that protects osu!

There are many games on Steam which can accept user content and use the same laws (you can often read them in the terms and conditions you're shown before install / account registering). This is not an issue that would prevent osu! from being on Steam. However, it would take lots of resources and time to be on Steam and it would be ultimately pointless. Those 'free' games on Steam are actually 'freemium' and use Steam as a method to sell digital virtual goods.
Topic Starter
Myke B

WolfCoder wrote:

boat wrote:

...If to use dank as an analogy then the osu! client is the equivalent of selling a bong...
No.

It's nothing like any of you have described. Peppy is using the DMCA safe harbor laws. This means all of us become responsible for our conduct so long as the website complies. It's ironic the same law that causes so many copyright troll problems is the same law that protects osu!

There are many games on Steam which can accept user content and use the same laws (you can often read them in the terms and conditions you're shown before install / account registering). This is not an issue that would prevent osu! from being on Steam. However, it would take lots of resources and time to be on Steam and it would be ultimately pointless. Those 'free' games on Steam are actually 'freemium' and use Steam as a method to sell digital virtual goods.
"pointless", but who's to say it would? It's generally accepted that it would bring it more popularity. So the discussion isn't whether it would, rather would it be good or bad. The whole copyright talk was a bit of a sidetrack. All I was saying, is that if it happened once, it could happen again, and that could potentially be a turn-off to steam or whatever.
WolfCoder
Well you are legally allowed to use your avatar picture despite not having express permission from TOEI animation, right? This is just my commentary, not actual legal advice, but this isn't what's stopping osu! from being on steam. Steam is a store service, so Peppy would have to talk to Valve about what could be done first and that takes lots of money and time.
Topic Starter
Myke B

WolfCoder wrote:

Well you are legally allowed to use your avatar picture despite not having express permission from TOEI animation, right? This is just my commentary, not actual legal advice, but this isn't what's stopping osu! from being on steam. Steam is a store service, so Peppy would have to talk to Valve about what could be done first and that takes lots of money and time.
And I understand that, that is not what's stopping peppy. What's stopping him is that he doesn't really feel a need to. I'm just trying to have people take a different look at the whole thing. :)
Rewben2
I'd support it if it was going to go through, I don't see the negatives in increasing the playerbase. More people to compete with, more people to talk with, "tournaments" will be bigger, etc. I doubt the "stupid playerbase of steam" (which is a huge generalisation and I don't even believe is true,) will affect the osu community.
Espionage724

Myke B wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

So from what I've seen, basically, osu! itself isn't breaking the law. It's the mappers that are uploading copyrighted music without having the permissions or licenses to do so. (And be honest, most of us don't have said permissions for most of the songs we upload.)
I doubt Steam would support the way this is handled. In theory, we could remove all the illegal files and add the game to steam afterwards, but then osu! would be kinda boring, as it would lack beatmaps.

Correct me if I say something wrong.
I mean.. That sounds about right. That's kinda what I was saying about the skrillex case in one way or another. If it can happen once, couldn't it happen again?
Not really related to this thread, but I'm curious about the Skrillex case... what happened?

As for osu! on Steam, I think it would be a nice idea. I might suggest actual cross-platform compatibility first though, that way, it could be launched on Steam across Windows, OS X, and Linux.
aBunny
"stupid people" will join no matter where the players come from. its just the matter of how fast they join.
the only thing i see stopping peppy from releasing it to steam is the server load required as others have said.
RBRat3

Espionage724 wrote:

Not really related to this thread, but I'm curious about the Skrillex case... what happened?
Simple, osu! respects the DMCA... A claim was made to take it down... it got taken down that is all.
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/copyright
Topic Starter
Myke B

sarasseo wrote:

"stupid people" will join no matter where the players come from. its just the matter of how fast they join.
the only thing i see stopping peppy from releasing it to steam is the server load required as others have said.
Exactly.. All I'm saying is, there would be more tournaments, more top players, more activity on the forums, and people are worried about stupid people joining? Come on lol.
quaternary
osu! isn't designed for a community much larger than this one. #osu is already just borderline readable at peak hours, imagine if it moved 5x as fast? it would be pretty much unusable

you can't just "boop! now we have more people." you have to redesign the whole frontend & backend & even the community itself to support everyone in such a way that isn't awkward, hacky, or unstable. only a few potential problems:
* the people on steam refusing to pay for anything, including supporter, unless it is on sale;
* rising operation costs would only compound that;
* osu! will then need to be more aggressivley monetized;
* the whole idea of in-game chat becoming unusable due to it being more like a tidal wave;
* f9 expanded chat crashing from all the tabs;
* incredible server costs;
* no company wants to host something with such incredibly high cpu, mem, and bandwidth usage;
* community being much too difficult to moderate ("get more mods" is not an answer here, that's not how moderation works);
* more disk space needed for the larger amount of replays;
* cheating would be a much bigger problem than it already is today;
* more downtime (think ddos-time, all the time);
* when osu! goes down, it will take longer to come up;
*** because resetting larger databases / taking more data out of storage takes longer than less;
*** because of the steam idiots who think that refreshing a page every 5 seconds makes a service come back online faster;
* when something drastic happens and data is deleted, it will affect more people
Topic Starter
Myke B
:lol:

tuddster wrote:

osu! isn't designed for a community much larger than this one. #osu is already just borderline readable at peak hours, imagine if it moved 5x as fast? it would be pretty much unusable

you can't just "boop! now we have more people." you have to redesign the whole frontend & backend & even the community itself to support everyone in such a way that isn't awkward, hacky, or unstable. only a few potential problems:
* the people on steam refusing to pay for anything, including supporter, unless it is on sale;
* rising operation costs would only compound that;
* osu! will then need to be more aggressivley monetized;
* the whole idea of in-game chat becoming unusable due to it being more like a tidal wave;
* f9 expanded chat crashing from all the tabs;
* incredible server costs;
* no company wants to host something with such incredibly high cpu, mem, and bandwidth usage;
* community being much too difficult to moderate ("get more mods" is not an answer here, that's not how moderation works);
* more disk space needed for the larger amount of replays;
* cheating would be a much bigger problem than it already is today;
* more downtime (think ddos-time, all the time);
* when osu! goes down, it will take longer to come up;
*** because resetting larger databases / taking more data out of storage takes longer than less;
*** because of the steam idiots who think that refreshing a page every 5 seconds makes a service come back online faster;
* when something drastic happens and data is deleted, it will affect more people
90% of everything in here is stupid lol. I'm sorry, but it honestly sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. Just to cover some stuff (because there is no way I'm going over every individual stupid thing) -
I'm almost 100% sure, you have no idea how peppy runs or operates, or how servers operate in general lol.
the people on steam refusing to pay for anything, including supporter, unless it is on sale;
The game is free.. why the fuck does it matter if they want to pay.. You do also realize that a good percent of people who play Osu!, also play steam, league, etc. right? It's not like the # of supporters will go down because of more people joining? That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
the whole idea of in-game chat becoming unusable due to it being more like a tidal wave;
Implying that it isn't already a clusterfuck of stupid.
incredible server costs;
Peppy already said that, that wasn't the problem lol.
more disk space needed for the larger amount of replays;
by the sounds of things, it doesn't sound like you know anything. Only the top 50 score's replays are saved.. So it doesn't make a difference unless there are a fuck ton of songs that don't already have top 50 people (which is not true at all lol).
cheating would be a much bigger problem than it already is today;
Yes, because it's a HUGE deal right now lol. Someone was obviously cheating, and cheated to get the number 1 score on big black. In a few hours it was taken down.. Anyone who isn't cheating to get rank top 50 scores on high PP songs, nobody cares about..
Defacer
Myke B, the embodiment of ignorance.Sorry your last post is just one helluva a trash, not even feeling like explaining or defending myself as I can't possibly take it seriously.I feel sorry for anyone who bothers to even debate against you.
Topic Starter
Myke B

Defacer wrote:

Myke B, the embodiment of ignorance.Sorry your last post is just one helluva a trash, not even feeling like explaining or defending myself as I can't possibly take it seriously.I feel sorry for anyone who bothers to even debate against you.
The only thing I take back is
cheating would be a much bigger problem than it already is today;
So ignorant lol? I wouldn't want to explain myself either if I didn't know what I was talking about :) it's probably best you don't for your sake lol.
peppy
Let's make this simple: I see osu! as a community. Steam is also a community. I don't feel right dropping osu! inside of steam. osu! already has functionality for everything that steam can provide. The only result of doing this would be more players, which isn't something I'm going out of my way to get (if you're interested in why, watch the talk i did recently, available on my youtube channel–i actually answer this very question in it).
Topic Starter
Myke B

peppy wrote:

Let's make this simple: I see osu! as a community. Steam is also a community. I don't feel right dropping osu! inside of steam. osu! already has functionality for everything that steam can provide. The only result of doing this would be more players, which isn't something I'm going out of my way to get (if you're interested in why, watch the talk i did recently, available on my youtube channel–i actually answer this very question in it).
Fair enough if you don't want to go out of your way for more players - it is your game/choice after all. I was just more curious as to people thoughts and why they thought that way.
Defacer

Myke B wrote:

So ignorant lol? I wouldn't want to explain myself either if I didn't know what I was talking about :) it's probably best you don't for your sake lol.
It's hard to believe you "lol"ed while typing this.Seems to me that you are angry but that's fine, usually happens.When somebody realizes how bad/wrong their statements and points were and it's already too late, he enters the usual mode you are in right now - Defending opinion at any cost because it's just too late to change mind.

Also if you are really bothered by the fact that I don't explain myself to you.Do you explain your points and bring out strong arguments vs a 6 years old child? I don't think so, it's just useless even if you do.Same reason why I just don't get the feeling that saying anything reasonable against you will work at all(proven throughout the thread).
Topic Starter
Myke B

Defacer wrote:

Myke B wrote:

It's hard to believe you "lol"ed while typing this.Seems to me that you are angry but that's fine, usually happens.When somebody realizes how bad/wrong their statements and points were and it's already too late, he enters the usual mode you are in right now - Defending opinion at any cost because it's just too late to change mind.

Also if you are really bothered by the fact that I don't explain myself to you.Do you explain your points and bring out strong arguments vs a 6 years old child? I don't think so, it's just useless even if you do.Same reason why I just don't get the feeling that saying anything reasonable against you will work at all(proven throughout the thread).
Wow, so intelligent.. Doesn't even have time to explain himself to me, because his thinking is just on another level, and it would take too much of his precious time that he has so little of. Yeah, I seem pretty upset bro - I remember when I use to say stuff like that when I had nothing else to say.
feeling that saying anything reasonable against you will work at all
yeah, it really seems like you read the post, and really got the idea of me just discussing with people (except for that one dude who just gave out a ton of wrong information) and clearly stating that I don't think I'm right. Realizes how bad my statements were? I took back one thing, but I guess you just want everyone to never change their opinion on something, and if they try, you'll be there to tell them how stupid they are :) It's hard to believe you actually gathered enough brain power to type your response when you couldn't even gather it to read lol.

Myke B wrote:

Like I said, I don't think that I'm right, or this is the right choice, but I just thought I would add my two cents. Thanks for reading.
You're an idiot.
skibblesx
The community flourishes with weeaboos for their anime OPs an tryhards for rank and it spreads by mouth a lot.
there's almost 4 million users.
and an average of almost 8,000 people at any given time.

this is more than most free online games get in a month.

I don't get the point of this thread anymore beyond people memeing on eachother and trying to prove a moot point that won't change anything.

The community is mainly active IN GAME on the #channels and the forums sees consistent activity for things that matter.

We get enough " tablet??/ xDDd? x3 :333333 pennn skinn??/SuPOrT?" already, we don't need a steam circle jerk ransacking the large yet reserved and clique community.
Topic Starter
Myke B

skibblesx wrote:

The community flourishes with weeaboos for their anime OPs an tryhards for rank and it spreads by mouth a lot.
there's almost 4 million users.
and an average of almost 8,000 people at any given time.

this is more than most free online games get in a month.

I don't get the point of this thread anymore beyond people memeing on eachother and trying to prove a moot point that won't change anything.

The community is mainly active IN GAME on the #channels and the forums sees consistent activity for things that matter.

We get enough " tablet??/ xDDd? x3 :333333 pennn skinn??/SuPOrT?" already, we don't need a steam circle jerk ransacking the large yet reserved and clique community.
Nobody is even talking about this subject anymore.
skibblesx
you know theres a problem with yourself when your thread that is

>is in general development
>about steam
>about the community

and you're not even talking about it.

focus on high school and not internet fights if you're not even gonna have a productive thread
Marcin
This thread is becoming nonsense.