forum

Winter 2014 Anime Season First Impressions

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
@Mogs....yeah, I should have checked the intended audience first.... Thanks for telling me.

Strange+:
Navizel, summed it up well.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
A slow paced but slightly amusing romance. I really wish it moved a bit faster and had a male character who can do something more than rub a girls head, but I guess I'll stay for another ep. (Art is on the low budget side with lacking details and not too much sprite movement, but what did you expect for a show like this)

Pupa:
Ummm another horror anime with terrible art and some ugly jump horror with censoring.....At least it is a short, so it didn't take up too much time.

Sakura Trick:
So much yuri, in ridiculous forms. I'll probably suffer from brain dmg if I keep watching this.... And srsly using the same 2 textures for basically everything is not helping me (character models are the only thing that look decent)

I'll probably make the chart when I have time tomorrow or the day after
Mineko
Nagi No Asukara (second part) I don't know if is valid in this thread but is still in the category "Fall Leftovers" so.. This is the best anime of this year for me, too much feelings..!

Chuunibyou 2 (or Ren) ok what should I say? "vanishiment this world" I love kyo animation, so thats it.

Pupa i dont know, 1 episode for a short anime is still early to say something

Hamatora I like Azusa as character, and of course the opening theme by the singer of Galileo Galilei, my favorite band..but for the story I'm not a big fan of super power, but I didnt say that i dont like it. we'll see

I'm waiting for Mahou Sensou (I think in my country the sub are late) and Wake up Girls! .. well I'll edit this post again in the week-end :)
Mogsy
Editing this post more later. Hopefully you can get that google doc up soon, bliss~

Mahou Sensou - Honestly, not a fan. It's rather generic in design, rather plodding and textbook in execution, the only real positive of this being the stylish ED (featuring a great Nano song). It's boilerplate as all get-out; not offensively bad but it's got problems with its pacing and dialogue (especially when stopping a major chase scene for ~4-5 minutes of straight-up exposition). Even the name (Mahou Sensou, Magical Warfare) is really indicative of its generic-at-best work quality.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Your enjoyment of this is very much based on your knowledge of Japanese folklore and knowledge of basic Japanese cultural icons/puns. It's a silly dark comedy, though, and I was giggling the whole time. The animation is pretty standard but there are true moments that stand out as fantastic (especially the CG for those goldfish flowers), so it's nice on the eyes. If you're looking for something a little different, go here.

EDIT:
Wake Up, Girls! - This one has a bit going for it. It doesn't have the steady optimism of shows like Love Live! or the pointlessness of The Idolm@ster, instead exploring the other, less-attractive side of the entertainment industry in terms of emotion. It seems like it'll go into skeezier territory based off of what's to come and seems to be commenting on the idol industry without getting overly cynical. It could really go anywhere from here. The animation was kinda lacking at points and the artistry was definitely not consistent (parts reminding me of Natsuiro Kiseki's lack of artistic consistency popped up every now and then), but what I loved was the muted colour palette, which fit the unsure mood of the show rather well. It could go anywhere from here, but I'm hoping it's to good places.

Nobunagun - Hello, limited Gainax animation. Not much really happens, plot is pretty thin at this point. What this show promises is dumb fun and it's so far delivering. Maybe it'll do more to stand out in the coming weeks? All I know is that it's not good but not terrible and I enjoyed watching it.

Sakura Trick - Okay, I'm not going to go super deep into my issues with this show which all end up being that fetishizing lesbianism through a hetero-male-gaze feels not only creepy but also like it marginalizes homosexuality into a fetish for straight folks and not a real goddamn thing (which also happens with most shonen-ai/yaoi, too, but from a hetero-female-gaze). Read the spoiler for all of that. This show's design is generic and nothing stands out about it other than OH MY GOD BOYS WATCH THESE GIRLS KISSING. Ugh ugh ugh. Bland panderbait and nothing else, with nothing else going for it (unlike last year's Love Lab, which proved me wrong as a very fun comedy).

EDIT 2: Upon further thinking (plus watching the movie and ep 1 right in a row), Wake Up Girls! gets a green.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Okay Mogs, as you requested the chart is now up

Note:I found a way to do it slightly faster, so it probably only took me 45min to do everything you see so far. Since I was in a rush, there may be mistakes. Please fix them when possible.
Mogsy
Thanks a lot, Bliss!
Navizel
Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! Ren - Same as before. If only Yuuta would stop that Rikka abuse I would've like this show more.

Sakura Trick - I'm expecting this to become yuri loaded so I'm good with this. Basically what I said on the other thread. I'm watching this for the yuri anyway.

Z/X Ignition - Lame transition and too much introduction on first episode that I got confused on the story. Won't drop this for now since it looks like it has potential. If only they would fix this.

adding up more later. Only watched Wake Up, Girls! movie so far so can't put this for now.

Nourin - Almost everyone is screwed up especially the teacher. I thought she'll be the typical 30-year (or in her case, 40) old virgin teacher but no. The eyes bother me a lot. Gonna keep watching more for angry and somewhat ecchi KanaHana.

Wake Up, Girls! - Not that bad of a start and I enjoyed it especially the performance. At least the art was much better than Gatchaman's. The group's seiyuu did a pretty good job on voice acting considering it's their first time doing it so +1.
Rio-
Nobunaga the Fool - A Spin-Off of Jean d'Arc & Nobunaga Oda story huh? At first i thought It will be lame, but after I watched It I'm impressed with It's art and story somehow... I should not judge anything based on It's cover from now on

Noragami - First thing, this show looks like Monogatari if You ask me... the details, characters, everything (Yato kinda looks like Araragi somehow)... I'm impressed and will follow this until the end

PuPa - 5-mins Anime, but this shows make Me feels intrigued... but sadly, the art wasn't quite impressed me much

Witch Craft Works - Bored in first episode somehow... I dunno if I should watch this
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

as you requested the chart is now up
Thanks for your hard work blissfulyoshi!
I find myself having to look back at MyAnimeList to confirm names of anime shows... >_>
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Nourin:
Well, everyone on this series hyperactive to an extreme. Silver Link is really trying to milk the country side thing after NNb, but please don't confuse this with Silver Spoon. They don't try to teach about farming here, instead expect a more fast paced/ high tension romcom with ecchi scenes. This show is defintiely not for everyone but if you want a decently animated (some of the real life scans are weird), baka to test like show with a bit more crack give the show a shot. (For those that don't know, Silver Link is probably my favorite studio currently, so I probably would watch this show regardless)

Nisekoi:
Shafted, simplest explanation for what happened. Regardless, my feelings for this anime were quite mixed. Since the manga before, I barely laughed throughout the entire ep, since all of it was predictable and executed as expected.As for the animation, it definitely looks less shafty and higher budget than Shaft's normal stuff, but you still have backlit gates, bright colored schools with really definied desk shapes, etc, basically monogatari. However, there were also times were animation just fell off a cliff, the walking scene between Raku and Onodera, where they looped their awkward walking animation gif, not moving anywhere, for like 10s. It was just an ugly thing to watch that loop. To further my anger, Raku acted for cringe-worthy than normal, so probably not going to watch this series, but giving it one more shot.

Wow, I wrote a lot for these 2 series, I'll try to shorten it next time.
Navizel
Nisekoi - Not really sure how I'm going to color this. I've read the manga and dropped it because it's too cliche, A transfer student tsundere, dense MC, a coward girl who can't say what she want, and soon to be in anime an another girl who's an addition to the harem; it's just your usual romcom harem with focus on the misunderstandings and comedy which continues the series without a girl winning. Chitoge is also unlikable bitch and Onodera is somewhat irritating because of her shyness. That said, it's SHAFT so I'm not really sure. The Monogatari feel is dragging me to watch this show as well as the ClariS op/ed (and I guess the coming-to-school-with-bread-on-mouth thing). For now, I'm going to keep watching this for Shaft's sake, though, if they did bad on the following episodes I might drop this one.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda - I thought this is about school uniforms screw my vocab Well, aside from the loli, the character designs are great as well as the tanks. The first half was not that great but the second was awesome. Probably one of the anime with great potential this season.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Mahou Sensou:
I really enjoyed the action, but besides that, this show felt really cliche and cheesy. (Also thought this was one of the weakest nano songs I have heard) I'll give it another ep and go from there.

Z/X Ignition:
Cliffhangers and some terrible action scenes, but I sort of like the MC. With the storyline not really making sense right now, I am going to watch another ep before deciding what to do with this show.

Wake Up, Girls!
As Mogs said, a much more serious idol show with very few jokes and some drama. It does show a darker side of the industry, but it is definitely not as fun to watch. I'll stick around another ep to see where the drama takes this show. (On an off note, why were the only panty flashes I recall in the ep, in the winter concert)
NoHitter
Nisekoi - I read the manga and I love the animation done here. It reminds of of Monogatari and I don't know if that's supposed to be good or bad xD Anyway, judging from the summary, the show is going to end right on what I think is the best part of the manga (play). Also, you got to love Onodera's voice (HanaKana).

Saki Zenkoku-hen - Our favorite yuri anime with mahjong undertones is back. I enjoyed watching the first season, and the second season (don't remind me that Achiga was 1.5) seems promising as well. Although that may be because of my manga reading...

Chu-2 Ren - Basically the same vibe I got from watching the Chu-2 first season back then. The first episode doesn't really introduce the main problem the series will have yet. Neutral on this show (but the animation is still great)
Navizel
Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen - Random low-budget anime short. Usually what you'll expect in a short anime. 2 minutes is a joke.

Go! Go! 575 - Cute and okay art but everything else is meh. Is this a promotional short anime or something

Robot Girls Z - Not that bad but not that good either. Old and repititive jokes. For the sake of moe mecha I'll continue to watch this.

Onee-chan ga Kita - gawd forgot to comment on this one. Anyway, this is just your another incest show with one being a tsundere. Nothing special at all.

Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil - 5/10 art but the CGs blended well. OSTs and the action parts are awesome. This show has too much potential so going to keep up for now. Also, holy fuck Norio Wakamoto in the cast. M0V 0V0 doesn't even exist and the girl's address is a joke.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Hozuki no Reitetsu:
I don't get the jokes, so no choice but to drop it.

Go! Go! 575:
Okay art, but typical low budget short, and didn't even make me laugh.

Robot Girls Z:
Feels like team rocket with almost every female archetype. Since I legitimately found some parts funny, going to watch some more.

Wizard Barristers - Benmashi Cecil:
As expected from the trailers, there were some amazing action scenes, except the excess motion blur really degraded the viewing experience. To accomplish the action, a lot of CG was used, some of it was good, but some of ti felt out of place, sort of expected. As for the plot, we seem to be having court strange combination of court room logic and all out magical battles, but if I have learned anything from Phoenix Wright, evidence is the only thing that stands in a court of law. Except, this show hasn't really shown much evidence yet.... I'll probably watch regardless, but I hope the court case next ep is logically sound, or close to it.

Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zvezda:
Yet another boring show. There was like 15min of slow predictable jokes, and then followed by a fight scene that only had one redeemable part (the bullets going through the head of the alien), and a bunch of teribly executed parts. Top this off with the series of having more questions than answers, and you don't really have much to watch. I doubt it is worth waiting to see the answers this show gives...
Rio-
A little bit late... Quick Review

Chu-2 Ren
As expected from KyoAni, Arts quite improved compared from the 1st season and nice story

Mahou Sensou
Arts & Story kinda goods somehow... and I <3 the OP/ED

Nisekoi
Goddamnit SHAFT! You make this series looks pretty Awesome, and a good story (well, nothing less than the manga)

Sakura Trick
Okay... Reminds Me of Love Lab somehow, but more Yuri than that... will follow this

Wake Up, Girls!
2nd Generation of 765PRO kinda looks like iDOLM@STER... but Story is kinda good though
Mogsy
Nisekoi - The thing is, Shinbou's particular style pretty much works when trying to create a discomforting effect. This is why Nisekoi is not really working for me, but it's a fine enough base story that just could've used a less obtuse adaptation, visually.

Wizard Barristers - Plays like a standard procedural but with magic (Law & Order: Mage Edition), and has the director's signature style in terms of character designs. What's refreshing is how the episode is captivating even if you're not a fan of procedurals, being impeccably animated and boasting really good cinematography. What makes this show green for me is just how charming (besides for perv frog) it all is, and it'll be interesting to see this genre played out in anime in a way that isn't Ghost In The Shell. Looking forward to more.
Justykanna

Justykanna wrote:

Nobunagun - This just doesn't look appealing to me yet. I don't much care for the art style at all and I feel like future episodes are going to be just too silly for my liking. The little text bubbles at the start were a funny little touch though. I'll give it another episode or two with this one. If nothing pulls me in, I'm gonna drop this one.
Dropped. Just... ugh...
Navizel
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - Everything feels cliche and bland. Keeping this for now.

Dropped Nobunaga the Fool, Pupa, and Buddy Complex.

Maken-ki! Two - boobs>story. I really wish they would make this better this time. The manga is good even if it's generic. Yeah, will keep watching this one.

Avoided Youkai Watch because for children. Watching Wooser though. rofl Sanzigen.
Topic Starter
blissfulyoshi
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha:
I enjoyed the manga, and the show did execute the jokes in this series decently. However, the show is low budget and slightly slow paced, making it not the greatest thing to watch at times. I'll see how episode 2 turns out

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei Episode 2:
Once you stop treating this show as a romance show and more as a comedy show about the little sister, it is actually quite fun to watch.

Z/X Ignition Episode 2:
Unlike episode 1, there is a lot less action and a lot more humor. I actually found it quite fun to watch, so switching this to green as well

Youkai Watch:
Another kiddy show, don't think I need to say more. As for why I watched, I don't know

Maken-ki! Two
Yay excessive fanservice with basically nothing else... (I really wish they get to the actual arc, some of the later fights in the manga are enjoyable imo)

Edit: Chart is now updated, and wow our turnout is really low this season. Am I doing something wrong with the thread, or something else? On another note, will update op at a slightly later date. (Thanks Navizel and Mogsworth for updating your entrees)
Justykanna

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Am I doing something wrong with the thread, or something else?
Everything looks fine to me. Maybe people didn't like the season much and didn't bother posting because of it?
MoteOfDust
NourinFrom what I have seen on /a/ and here, seems to be a bit of a sleeper. I am really enjoying it as of episode 2. frequent art style changes, and a bit more lewd than I am used to when it comes to slice of life/highschool, considering the second episode.
washedupplayer
I only picked up stuff that I knew I'll most likely like, but well..whatever here they are.

Chuu2koi! Ren - I loved the 1st season, and this didn't let me down so far.

Nisekoi - Akiyuki Shinbou you glorious bastard. Another possibly great show from SHAFT, I really like the setting and the character desing.

Sakura Trick - Episode 1 was great. Really. But then episode 2 came, and this whole yuri thing started to feel way too forced. It has some amusing scenes, but if they keep forcing those kiss scenes just because they can I'll most likely drop this.

Witch craft works - I really liked the first 2 episodes, but I can see this turning into a boring romcom. I hope it won't.