forum

Do you even stretch?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
iderekmc
i realised that it might be a good idea to stretch before osuing, and also when ur arm gets tired, like climbers do. what do u think?
Myke B
Yes, I stretch my middle and index finger before I play osu! or work them out. I think it's a good idea for both your speed, and endurance.
Weed
nope i just play
ballplay
no stretching and scarlet rose is my warm up (even though i cant pass it lol)
iWhorse
Rewben2
I do 2000 pushups, benchpress 900kg and run 20km before playing osu.

No but really I don't do anything. There's no need.
Myke B

iWhorse wrote:

http://www.bettermovement.org/2011/flexibility-and-running-economy/

tl;dr probably not
I can see what this post's point is. I think the article is trying to say that, increasing your flexibility will not help as much with your running economy (or finger economy in this case).What I think OP is trying to ask is, do you guys stretch or not to help warm up, and not to increase overall performance. I might be wrong here, but I speak for myself when I say, I think stretching is good for your fingers before you play :)
iWhorse

Myke B wrote:

iWhorse wrote:

http://www.bettermovement.org/2011/flexibility-and-running-economy/

tl;dr probably not
I can see what this post's point is. I think the article is trying to say that, increasing your flexibility will not help as much with your running economy (or finger economy in this case).What I think OP is trying to ask is, do you guys stretch or not to help warm up, and not to increase overall performance. I might be wrong here, but I speak for myself when I say, I think stretching is good for your fingers before you play :)
not really
you arent going to be using your fingers' full rom (or your tablet\mouse hand's)

look at how much motion his fingers are using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUAwnc2G0g/

or his tablet hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYesuQugFOM/
Myke B
I'm not sure if OP was talking about tablet hand, but I'm only talking about my tapping fingers :/ and you don't have to do a bunch of research to figure it out. before you play osu! stretch your tapping fingers well, and play. On a separate day don't stretch. I think you'll notice (at least I do) that the day I stretched, I was more warmed up when I started compared to the day I didn't.
iWhorse

Myke B wrote:

I'm not sure if OP was talking about tablet hand, but I'm only talking about my tapping fingers :/
i was too, figured i'd throw it in there anyways

Myke B wrote:

and you don't have to do a bunch of research to figure it out.
a quick google to find something i've already read before is hardly "a bunch of research"

Myke B wrote:

before you play osu! stretch your tapping fingers well, and play. On a separate day don't stretch. I think you'll notice (at least I do) that the day I stretched, I was more warmed up when I started compared to the day I didn't.
inconsistent. maybe if you played the same maps each day it'd be more accurate, but still far from perfect

point is you don't need the extra ROM from stretching

"Why would less flexible runners be more efficient? One reason is that elastic recoil of muscle and tendon is an important contributor to running power, accounting for as much as 25-40% of the necessary energy. " same true for your fingers theoretically speaking, although i have no method of measure
Myke B
Sorry, I didn't really mean "a bunch of research", it was a slight exaggeration. What I meant to say was, looking into it.

inconsistent. maybe if you played the same maps each day it'd be more accurate, but still far from perfect

Well yea. Like any test, you should have controls so you can compare accurately. You're right, you don't NEED extra ROM, but it also doesn't take much time to just stretch out your fingers to warm them up. Guitar players, and even athletes do it, obviously for a reason. I always love discussion, and learning something new, so thanks for that article :)
iWhorse

Myke B wrote:

Guitar players, and even athletes do it, obviously for a reason. I always love discussion, and learning something new, so thanks for that article :)
you're speaking to someone who's played guitar for over half of his life
of course, the "everyone else does it" card, doesnt really mean anything in the end though

Myke B wrote:

I always love discussion, and learning something new, so thanks for that article :)
NP, that makes two of us i guess
Myke B
Yeah, I agree about the "everyone does it" card, but I mean there are people that do it for reasons other than bandwagon-ing.
buny
i stretch my fingers by playing ez stream maps
Mizuno Yui

iWhorse wrote:

But fast singletapping/streaming (when I'm pushing myself) after a while results in my arm tensing up quite a bit. And after a couple of dozen of retries, it starts to hurt. However, if I take a second or two between retries to stretch my fingers a bit, it seems to help. I have no idea if it's due to those few seconds of not playing or because of the stretching, though.
Myke B

mentalac wrote:

iWhorse wrote:

But fast singletapping/streaming (when I'm pushing myself) after a while results in my arm tensing up quite a bit. And after a couple of dozen of retries, it starts to hurt. However, if I take a second or two between retries to stretch my fingers a bit, it seems to help. I have no idea if it's due to those few seconds of not playing or because of the stretching, though.
Could be a combination of the two.
WolfCoder
I stretch my wrists often between breaks (in the song).
Sorun
Some minor dynamic stretches before playing. Otherwise my RSI kicks in fast.
RaneFire
I stretch all the time.

My ring finger tendon appears to be very "short?" (I dunno if that's the right word) and has limited maneuverability on both hands, so I am always clasping my middle finger against my palm and stretching that thing. If I don't stretch it, my fingers start feeling like a dinosaur's and don't move the way I want to. Even though my ring finger doesn't play an active role, it affects my middle finger a lot with both tapping and the way I move my pen (middle/ring/pinky all bunched together under my pen seems to be the most effective for me).

I also single-tap with my middle finger and I can't explain why it works better than my index, but it does (a lot better) and I'm sure it has something to do with my ring finger's lack of independent maneuverability from my middle finger (my index finger is much better/faster at joining in with 1/4 notes). It's also why I raise my pinky straight when tapping, as it's the only way to get my ring finger some height off the key caps.

Well put it this way. I googled some exercises for my ring/pinky finger, and I can't do any of them. I'm not even close to being able to in terms of how far I can actually move that finger independantly, that's how bad it is.
iWhorse
this guy makes me think it might actually have a use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ocv3omUXdc

reimu's ring finger is pretty wierd too, i can't lift my ring above my pinky without my hand stiffing up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnw-Wv38zo
iSpR1Te
I stretch all my fingers, forearm, and wrists after every time I play osu! I started doing this back when I first played this game because of the occasional pain that began shortly after I started. Ever since then I've had no pain at all in my hands no matter how much I played. If you intend on playing osu! for a long time (months or years), I'd recommend start stretching your hands, forearms, and wrists often to reduce possible injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE I use a lot of stretches from this video. Not sure if these are the best stretches for everyone but it works for me.
GoldenWolf
do you even lift

Sometimes I stretch my fingers when they're too cold to even play warmup-maps
Topic Starter
iderekmc

Myke B wrote:

I'm not sure if OP was talking about tablet hand, but I'm only talking about my tapping fingers :/ and you don't have to do a bunch of research to figure it out. before you play osu! stretch your tapping fingers well, and play. On a separate day don't stretch. I think you'll notice (at least I do) that the day I stretched, I was more warmed up when I started compared to the day I didn't.
yes i meant tapping fingers :)
zxcv
usually i crack my knuckles, and that may be it. Maybe a quickie, but other than those, no, I don't even stretch, bro
thelewa
zxcv

thelewa wrote:

what
iWhorse

- O No De Ra - wrote:

what
Soarezi

thelewa wrote:

mitä vittua lewa :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
WolfCoder
sprechen sie deustch?