SteamOS, thoughts?

posted
Total Posts
10
Topic Starter
Sy[K]es
I have been running my osu! through steam for quite a while now and I have seen a few advertisement about the new "Steam" Operating system coming out soon and I have read about it finding that you could stream your games through your T.V and all that shenanigans to do with your WIFI.
So before I consider getting it when it's out, any opinions?

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
Espionage724
Generally speaking, if you treat it like any other console operating system, you'll have a pretty good time.

SteamOS is made to be on a computer attached to a TV with a controller as the input. It's not made to be a desktop OS replacement on a laptop (but it could be if you really modify it a bit). To the general user, SteamOS is basically Big Picture mode slapped on-top of a tweaked Linux base.

As for how SteamOS is, it's pretty good if your hardware is all compatible (I imagine this being less of a problem later on). Will be even more awesome once in-home streaming arrives.
DNR
haha it's literally pointless omfg like just get a laptop lol omg everyone who buys this is a weenie
blissfulyoshi
I have to agree with CDFA here. You are just hooking up a gimped version of linux up to your TV in a form factor that is closer to a console (well the form factor is up to the builder, but the test machine showed that Valve wants a console like form factor).

While linux might have a few advantages over windows with their openGL support (up to you if you believe in reports that OpenGL is better than DirectX), I see really little point in building a fully functional PC that has an OS only meant to play games. It is not like the rest of the OS takes up that much processing power/ hard drive space/etc. I rather pay that much money + the cost of the windows key or just get Ubuntu or Mint and be happy with an OS that can do more than play games (and other gaming related things)
DingGGu

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I have to agree with CDFA here. You are just hooking up a gimped version of linux up to your TV in a form factor that is closer to a console (well the form factor is up to the builder, but the test machine showed that Valve wants a console like form factor).

While linux might have a few advantages over windows with their openGL support (up to you if you believe in reports that OpenGL is better than DirectX), I see really little point in building a fully functional PC that has an OS only meant to play games. It is not like the rest of the OS takes up that much processing power/ hard drive space/etc. I rather pay that much money + the cost of the windows key or just get Ubuntu or Mint and be happy with an OS that can do more than play games (and other gaming related things)
+1

In that cases, Most of hardware on linux can't suppose Osu! (OPENGL)
lowest FPS, noise lagging.. etc

maybe we can't play well
Espionage724

CDFA wrote:

haha it's literally pointless omfg like just get a laptop lol omg everyone who buys this is a weenie
You don't have to buy anything if you already have the hardware (SteamOS is free)...

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I have to agree with CDFA here. You are just hooking up a gimped version of linux up to your TV in a form factor that is closer to a console (well the form factor is up to the builder, but the test machine showed that Valve wants a console like form factor).

While linux might have a few advantages over windows with their openGL support (up to you if you believe in reports that OpenGL is better than DirectX), I see really little point in building a fully functional PC that has an OS only meant to play games. It is not like the rest of the OS takes up that much processing power/ hard drive space/etc. I rather pay that much money + the cost of the windows key or just get Ubuntu or Mint and be happy with an OS that can do more than play games (and other gaming related things)
SteamOS, being built for gaming in-mind, has under-the-hood tweaks in order to make such an experience better. Most notably is the use of a lowlatency kernel currently. The desktop experience (currently) is "gimped" though (even though it can be made more suitable for such with modifications), but if you need an OS to do more than games, then yeah, SteamOS probably isn't what you'd want.

It depends on usage scenarios though mainly. I wouldn't mind having a Steam Machine (or some computer capable of in-home streaming + running SteamOS) downstairs on my main TV, streaming games from my Desktop which is upstairs.

DingGGu wrote:

+1

In that cases, Most of hardware on linux can't suppose Osu! (OPENGL)
lowest FPS, noise lagging.. etc

maybe we can't play well
osu! works fine on Linux, but the experience (like most things) is highly dependent on your hardware and general OS setup. If you run the newest hardware with outdated software, you likely going to have a bad time (like trying to use a R9 290X on Ubuntu 12.04 with the open-source driver). Generally speaking, SteamOS's current requirements and base should be an ideal balance.
Topic Starter
Sy[K]es
Oh, so it is Linux after all. Well, my PC is quite decent and I do have lots of games on Steam but the main reason that made me think of getting it was being able to Stream on my T.V because I would love to play osu! on an extremely larger screen.

Now then, if I have to connect my controller to my PC to play games that are as well on my PS3 console, I suppose might as well stick to my PS3, but if anyone knows when this OS is coming out, I might be able to get it on my other Laptop just to try it out. :)
Espionage724

Sy[K]es wrote:

Oh, so it is Linux after all. Well, my PC is quite decent and I do have lots of games on Steam but the main reason that made me think of getting it was being able to Stream on my T.V because I would love to play osu! on an extremely larger screen.

Now then, if I have to connect my controller to my PC to play games that are as well on my PS3 console, I suppose might as well stick to my PS3, but if anyone knows when this OS is coming out, I might be able to get it on my other Laptop just to try it out. :)
It's already out: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/buildyourown

It's in beta though; just take careful note of the requirements.
blissfulyoshi
I have not heard much about low latency kernals, but looking at the early performance numbers, FPS wise, the steam machines only match Win 8.1 and other linux distros in pure FPS (some linux distros beat it with updated graphic drivers, but such things will be fixed in the future), and even one person commented on greater stuttering in SteamOS. While you can say it is in beta, I don't think SteamOS will probably never offer more than 5% performance than its competitors. Spending 500+ for a machine that can play games just as well as everything else can is a poor way to justify a machine.

*Most of the test were based on synthetic test, so who knows how accurate those are.
**500 USD is used as reference because that is the lowest cost of the prebuilt ones, which most ppl would probably consider.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that if you play Windows only games (Ex. Doujin games on steam), then they obv won't work on SteamOS
Topic Starter
Sy[K]es
Well, damn lol.
I don't even..
Please sign in to reply.

New reply