forum

Help sight reading

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Clappy
http://www.twitch.tv/0clappie/b/492818110

I've played this song countless times and can never seem to get passed that double - single - double part with hidden. I got lucky 2nd try btw

Any tips ?
brendanuhs
inb4 play scarlet rose
Topic Starter
Clappy

brendanuhs wrote:

inb4 play scarlet rose
It's not really fast songs that hurt, it's AR's under 9
Me168

I wouldn't even worry about Sight Reading yet, or anything. Right now the best thing to do is to start at basic maps (.5-1 star) and work your way up to see where your difficulty lies (When I started I could play 3.5 Star Maps, but when my sister started she couldn't play higher than 1 star). This will start to help build the Sight Reading you want, as well as not forcing yourself to play songs that are too difficult or too easy
Full Tablet
Seems to be a problem with reading.
Those are irregularly spaced 1/4 notes (in a map so slow you can single-tap them). I would think about them more like a continuous stream instead of a "double then single then double".
If this same pattern appeared in a fast bpm map it would be considered very hard.

For Insane maps circles don't need to be distance snapped, so it's better observe the rate they appear on the screen instead of the distance between notes for reading.

Me168 wrote:

I wouldn't even worry about Sight Reading yet, or anything. Right now the best thing to do is to start at basic maps (.5-1 star) and work your way up to see where your difficulty lies (When I started I could play 3.5 Star Maps, but when my sister started she couldn't play higher than 1 star). This will start to help build the Sight Reading you want, as well as not forcing yourself to play songs that are too difficult or too easy
He has 5.5k playcount.
Topic Starter
Clappy

Me168 wrote:

Not sure if troll but i'll just leave this here
http://www.twitch.tv/0clappie/c/3433705
Me168

Full Tablet wrote:

He has 5.5k playcount.
I accidentally took his Taiko (When I opened up his userpage it went to Taiko for whatever reason ;-;, I apologise)

I would agree with Full Tablet. It's definitely a weird pattern (I think It's 1-2-3 1-2-3-4 1-2 1-2-3 for tapping, can do either Alternate or Single depending on which you use either way)
Lach
When people say sight reading, I wonder if even they know what they mean. If you've played a map countless amounts of times, you aren't exactly "sight" "reading". Seems like one of those word strings people throw around for no reason, just like 'subjective'.

The obvious answer would be to not play with SD, and/or turn off HD until you understand the pattern.
Topic Starter
Clappy

Lach wrote:

When people say sight reading, I wonder if even they know what they mean. If you've played a map countless amounts of times, you aren't exactly "sight" "reading". Seems like one of those word strings people throw around for no reason, just like 'subjective'.

The obvious answer would be to not play with SD, and/or turn off HD until you understand the pattern.
I've FC'D without hidden and want to get a better score so i turned on hd for some free points.
buny
they're so free that you can't get them
RaneFire

buny wrote:

I feel like this. I still have no idea why I can't play this mod from a sight-reading perspective... is there really a lot more memorisation going on than people will admit to?
Naikaze
There's memorisation only on stacks, rest can be done first try.

Least that's how it is for me
shortpotato
play hidden more
Wishy
Play Scarlet Rose.
Metro

Wishy wrote:

Play Scarlet Rose.
If you can't play Big Black.
Wishy
Else try FREEDOM DiVE.
YukinoDesuDesu

Wishy wrote:

Else try FREEDOM DiVE.
with dt, should be easy
buny

RaneFire wrote:

buny wrote:

I feel like this. I still have no idea why I can't play this mod from a sight-reading perspective... is there really a lot more memorisation going on than people will admit to?
i'd say it's sight read to an extent.

you can't expect many players to be able to sight read hidden and trap notes, but i think the sight-reading perspective is basically in the sense of accuracy, since you need a high accuracy for hidden to even be worth turning on
yoyomster

RaneFire wrote:

buny wrote:

I feel like it depends. When I play Hidden, I focus on the music more and try to "guess" when to click each note according to the music. But this only works if I "feel in sync" with the mapper, i.e. get why he mapped a particular part of the song the way he did. (This probably is sight-reading.) When I don't have that feeling, memorisation is necessary.
druidxd

yoyomster wrote:

I feel like it depends. When I play Hidden, I focus on the music more and try to "guess" when to click each note according to the music. But this only works if I "feel in sync" with the mapper, i.e. get why he mapped a particular part of the song the way he did. (This probably is sight-reading.) When I don't have that feeling, memorisation is necessary.
If you need to "guess" you are doing it wrong.

To play hidden you need to learn to read overlapped notes (or memorize them) and you need to be able to read fade times as if they were approach circles, that's it.
RaneFire

shortpotato wrote:

play hidden more
Best advice. Gonna play only hidden, even when practicing other stuff.

I mean... If I think about it, all the information required to play is there on the screen, I just need to get used to it. Pretty sure trap notes are noticeable at some level too, I'm pretty bad at those.

I know what you mean by guessing yoyomster, it's those "the only place it can be" notes that fit in with the music, like a missing single. Unfortunately I'd like to be able to notice those, rather than guess them.
Almost

RaneFire wrote:

Pretty sure trap notes are noticeable at some level too, I'm pretty bad at those.
Pretty impossible to see first time underneath a reverse arrow.
buny

Almost wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

Pretty sure trap notes are noticeable at some level too, I'm pretty bad at those.
you could use follow points
RaneFire

Almost wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I use the remilia scarlet skin reverse arrow by mlgnom, it's only slightly easier.
Almost

buny wrote:

Almost wrote:

you could use follow points
You could but follow points still wouldn't work if the hidden circle is the start of a new combo.
Full Tablet
Those rectangles surrounding the hitcircle numbers make reading stacks much easier for me.

They also help a little for seeing circles hidden beneath sliders and repeat arrows.
darkmiz
buny

Full Tablet wrote:

Those rectangles surrounding the hitcircle numbers make reading stacks much easier for me.

They also help a little for seeing circles hidden beneath sliders and repeat arrows.
that looks really nice
Icyteru
That's genius. Did you just add opaque rectangles, and angle them differently for each hitcircle number in the skin folder?
Full Tablet

[AirCoN] wrote:

That's genius. Did you just add opaque rectangles, and angle them differently for each hitcircle number in the skin folder?
Also you have to change the value of "HitCircleOverlap" in skin.ini, so when numbers go above 9 (a value of 188 for for 188x188 hitcircle number images), they appear one digit above the other (so, for example, 10 is a 0 above 1, with 2 pairs of rectangles) (it isn't a confusing as it sounds since during play you sense how the rectangles move instead of counting them, and the only hitcircle numbers that look similar in a stack in practice are 10 and 11, and sequences of 1s with stacks where each circle is a new combo)

darkmiz wrote:

That's also a good idea (for seeing hard to see circles), this + the rectangles can stack.
iderekmc

buny wrote:

xD