posted
Total Posts
show more
MegaManEXE
I honestly thought this was going to be a troll topic when I clicked it

A lot of this is good info though for newbies
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
Well I'm sick of seeing the exact same advice posted over and over.
anonymous_old
Add a note about playing with both hands, using one hand for one key on the keyboard and clicking with the mouse or tablet with the other hand.
Ivalset
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
schimdth
I add to this thread try watching the replay of other player and not the replay of auto mod. Observe how did they play
the beatmaps
Lucidity

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Don't use crappy skins that have too many visual effects that can end up blinding you.
*Petitions to include an option to remove Kiai time*

OT: At least put in some more effort into the OP if you don't want people to ask questions. If you put in 2 mins of effort don't expect it to be successful.

I don't see why you get irritated by players' will to learn and improve though. If you see a thread asking for help: Don't open it. (I'm a genius)
MegaManEXE

schimdth wrote:

I add to this thread try watching the replay of other player and not the replay of auto mod.
Or you can kill two birds with one stone and just watch Cyclone's replays
Lucidity
What's up with your avatar?
MegaManEXE
I <3 kioukiou
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday

Lucidity wrote:

lukewarmholiday wrote:

Don't use crappy skins that have too many visual effects that can end up blinding you.
*Petitions to include an option to remove Kiai time*

OT: At least put in some more effort into the OP if you don't want people to ask questions. If you put in 2 mins of effort don't expect it to be successful.

I don't see why you get irritated by players' will to learn and improve though. If you see a thread asking for help: Don't open it. (I'm a genius)
Or you could shove your fist straight through your dick and out your mouth.

The fact this thread is helpful took backseat to the fact this isn't a hard fucking game. But I guess some things are a little less known so I decided to just state what I could think up for the moment and wait for community responses to fill in the blanks.(Although I'm angry I forgot about mouse acceleration) The same answers(or should I say Similar answers, since you're a cunt who has to be 100% politically correct), are all that are needed to address the threads.

So why sit as people post the same exact shit over and over.
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Real1
Turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision"
Wut? If I do that, I reaaaaaally suck. Can't play with that off.
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
It helps you in the long run.

Trust me, I don't know a single person in any FPS team I've been in that still uses it.

It's going to take you a day or two to get used to it being off, maybe fiddle with your sensitivity a bit too.

Seriously with mouse acceleration on not only do you have to have good hand eye coordination you have to be used to different speeds moving your cursor different distances.
Real1

lukewarmholiday wrote:

It helps you in the long run.

Trust me, I don't know a single person in any FPS team I've been in that still uses it.

It's going to take you a day or two to get used to it being off, maybe fiddle with your sensitivity a bit too.

Seriously with mouse acceleration on not only do you have to have good hand eye coordination you have to be used to different speeds moving your cursor different distances.
While I trust that you are right, I don't think I'll change it. Jumps are usually not a big problem for me, and I am ranked in the top 100 players which takes some skill, I think I'm too used to it now to change it. :o
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
This isn't and end all for sure, you can be good rubbing a mouse against the side of your tower.
But for a noob player thread I suggest it off.
anonymous_old
Gabi

strager wrote:

Disclaimed for the OP:

Your milage may vary.

I know no other somewhat serious gamer who has mouse accel enabled. It hinders me greatly, as movements of the cursor is less predictable.
i play with mouse accel, i've got quite a balance. streams are usually slow mouse movement while jumps needs a fast movement. idk im just used to it now. i tried once without mouse acc but i was so bad with it lol, but yea it's true that mouse movement is pretty unpredictable sometimes with acc.
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
yeah you can be used to it and play fine. But when telling noobs what input style I think we can agree to suggest the one where you don't have to adjust to mouse placement AND speed.
Sleep Powder
Lucidity
Gopice

Lucidity wrote:

If they're used to having it turned on in Windows then they'll have more problems if they turn it off for osu. Neither setting is superior. It's completely about what you're used to.
I disagree, having mouse acceleration turned off definitely is superior.

My reasons:

1. The erroneous calculation when mouse acceleration is turned on:
At a certain offset the cursor speed will be multiplied softwarematicly, making it skip pixels.
Also mouse acceleration is calculated over delta-x and delta-y separately. This would lead to much error to the directional vector.

2. While you would be able to predict what speed you have to move the mouse when taking account the offset,
you definitely would have problems when the required speed to follow a slider is near your mouse acceleration offset, making your cursor movements very unpredictable.

3. When it's turned off you will be able to store movements in all ranges to muscle memory because of the linearity.
Lucidity

gopice wrote:

Lucidity wrote:

If they're used to having it turned on in Windows then they'll have more problems if they turn it off for osu. Neither setting is superior. It's completely about what you're used to.
I disagree, having mouse acceleration turned off definitely is superior.

My reasons:

1. The erroneous calculation when mouse acceleration is turned on:
At a certain offset the cursor speed will be multiplied softwarematicly, making it skip pixels.
Also mouse acceleration is calculated over delta-x and delta-y separately. This would lead to much error to the directional vector.

2. While you would be able to predict what speed you have to move the mouse when taking account the offset,
you definitely would have problems when the required speed to follow a slider is near your mouse acceleration offset, making your cursor movements very unpredictable.

3. When it's turned off you will be able to store movements in all ranges to muscle memory because of the linearity.
I dunno if the osu! setting works differently, but I'm assuming it's the same as Windows..

1. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/pointer-bal.mspx

2. I can't comment on that as I don't use mouse accel anymore, but you're assuming that there is a very large step function in play here instead of a smooth progression? I'm not sure that that is true and I never had any problems tracking players in FPS games when I used mouse accel.

3. Of course this applies to mouse accel turned on as well. I played FPS games at a high level for 2 years with this setting enabled. Believe me when I say that it can be committed to muscle memory '-' (And it makes those flick shots oh so sexy? ;p)
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
IT IS A FUCKING JOKE IF YOU USE MOUSE ACCELERATION IN FPS LEAGUES, PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT YOU. IT'S THAT BAD. DON'T BLINDLY SAY IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Osu! doesn't require pinpoint accuracy most of the time so you can skate with it off. But honestly it doesn't take too long to adjust than you think. If you're just starting out, TURN IT OFF.
Gopice

Lucidity wrote:

1. http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/pointer-bal.mspx

2. I can't comment on that as I don't use mouse accel anymore, but you're assuming that there is a very large step function in play here instead of a smooth progression? I'm not sure that that is true and I never had any problems tracking players in FPS games when I used mouse accel.

3. Of course this applies to mouse accel turned on as well. I played FPS games at a high level for 2 years with this setting enabled. Believe me when I say that it can be committed to muscle memory '-' (And it makes those flick shots oh so sexy? ;p)
That link is a good read.
My mistake, since the coming of windows XP acceleration is no longer based on one acceleration offset and is smoothly interpolated between multiple points.
Also with the new algorithm the directional vector error is heavily minimised.
(that means point 1.2 and 2 no longer stands)

I still stand on point 3 though, like I said you cant learn to memorize at multiple speeds on all ranges where you could with mouse acceleration off.

Also new mice are capable of responding to a high speed range, it would be wasteful not to use it.
That's why I would heavily recommend turning mouse acceleration off if you have a good mouse and not have a lot of prior experience with fps games.
Lucidity

lukewarmholiday wrote:

IT IS A FUCKING JOKE IF YOU USE MOUSE ACCELERATION IN FPS LEAGUES, PEOPLE WILL LAUGH AT YOU. IT'S THAT BAD. DON'T BLINDLY SAY IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Osu! doesn't require pinpoint accuracy most of the time so you can skate with it off. But honestly it doesn't take too long to adjust than you think. If you're just starting out, TURN IT OFF.
Did you read about it on some forum? Lolscrub.

Anyway, you're missing the point. If you're used to having it enabled then when you start osu and turn it off you'll only make it harder to aim ... Do you really want to make the game harder for a beginner? And mouse accel won't affect shit when you start playing insane maps so yeah ... It's really personal pref ...

@gopice: New mouses can go up to 5000 CPI, but people still only set it to 800 or whatever. :o
anonymous_old

Lucidity wrote:

@gopice: New mouses can go up to 5000 CPI, but people still only set it to 800 or whatever. :o
'Cus the mice are generally more inaccurate as you increase the CPI rating, especially for faster movements. The 5000 CPI overshadows the general bad quality in the mouse's lazer (do ball mice go as high as 5000 CPI? Is there a considerable market for them still?) and calibration.
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday

Lucidity wrote:

Did you read about it on some forum? Lolscrub.
Because forums are a horrible way of getting information from people who play FPS games daily and all unanimously agree that mouse acceleration is a hindrance. We must get our information from microsoft or logitech about mouse acceleration and its effects on fps gamers. THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY FPS'S RELIGIOUSLY, WHO VISIT THOSE FORUMS, ALL AGREE YOU CANNOT EVEN THINK OF PLAYING FPS'S LIKE QUAKE 3/QUAKE LIVE WITH MOUSE ACCELERATION ON. THE ONES THAT DO USE MOUSE ACCELERATION USUALLY ADMIT IT'S HARDER TO LEARN AND GET USED TO.

This is what you're trying to argue.

Is it harder to learn more? or is it harder to learn less?

When telling a noob what to do, and this is assuming he's not very skilled and isn't used to many jumpmaps and the like. We will tell him to take the route where he has to learn less.

Now like I said, if you're top 200 or so. Keep it on. osu! doesn't require pinpoint accuracy. But you're seriously overestimating how long it takes to adjust to a new mouse sensitivity/settings. I pick up new mouse sensitivities in a day. When he's a noob and already sucks, THIS IS WHEN WE WANT HIM TO CHANGE, BEFORE HE'S USED TO GOD FORSAKEN MOUSE ACCELERATION.
LadySuburu
Though I'm not one to usually hop in here, I will say that when I first turned off mouse acceleration in osu!, my skill level jumped a lot. (Also: Default Microsoft mice that come with the computer.)

I play with normal mouse speed in windows and 1.3x in osu!, granted I'm not the best player, but I think I play pretty well.

Of course, like luke said... if you're already playing with it on and have been for a long time, you don't have to try to change it. However, changing MAY be able to get you even better at osu! after some practice.

Then again, it may not. that's why you experiment.
Lucidity

strager wrote:

Lucidity wrote:

'Cus the mice are generally more inaccurate as you increase the CPI rating, especially for faster movements. The 5000 CPI overshadows the general bad quality in the mouse's lazer (do ball mice go as high as 5000 CPI? Is there a considerable market for them still?) and calibration.
\;D/

lukewarmholiday: Go back to your CEVO-A forums:)
Gopice
blabla

I still wanted to add that DPI is not the only spec of a mouse (I don't use the term CPI because it makes people think that every count gets reported directly, as the reporting is actually based on the polling rate).
What is often overlooked is the max. speed the mouse is capable of, as at a certain speed offset the cursor will not accelerate with the speed of the mouse, or even de-accelerate. This is crucial for people who play with low sensitivity! (and don't use mouse acceleration HAR HAR).

Speeds tested for the deathadder and mx518.
And a table for comparison: http://esreality.hexus.net/?a=longpost& ... 293&page=5
(obviously I have the topmost mouse ;) )
Nachy
I'm playing with an A4Tech K4-35D mouse, which is pretty cheap and slow (800 DPI) and I have always been playing with max mouse sensitivity on Windows with Mouse Acceleration/Enhanced Pointer Precision on and 2.0x sensitivity on osu!
I love jumps and I'm already pretty good at them, but switching Mouse Acceleration off and turning the mouse sensitivity on Windows to default (6th notch/tick) and on osu! 3.5x, and practicing and getting used to it for a whole day, I actually got a lot better more than ever, I managed to actually pass Crazy Motorcycle Chase on Crazy with a C, S'ing Crazy Loop on Hard, passing Red Zone on Extra and passing Shanghai Teahouse on Lunatic, which I really couldn't do before. I also managed to FC a lot of Alace's jumpy maps and also improved my skills on streams too surprisingly since I can control my mouse better since I'm not skipping notes when doing streams.
anonymous_old
Topic Starter
lukewarmholiday
Nachy

strager wrote:

gopice wrote:

What is often overlooked is the max. speed the mouse is capable of
I think you overlook that detectable and accurate are two completely different things. =]

I have a DeathAdder. ftw!

NachoPiggy wrote:

and slow (800 DPI)
Hahaha.

Hey, I'm that poor.
Lucidity
I think he means it's not that slow. I use 800 atm as well, even though my mouse can go higher.
anonymous_old
"Slow" is the incorrect adjective to use there.

That's like comparing pixel response time to resolution on LCD's.
Nachy
Oh.
And now I know.
MMzz
Taiko:
1. Finish spinners as fast as you can.
2. Stay on beat with slider ticks, or you just look like an idiot smashing your keys while gaining no points.
:P
Ryohan
About mices:
Higher DPI is better because the mouse is more precise and that is all. Better mices have not any shitty acceleration D:

And I got one question to pr0s: "What kind of keyboard you use to hold this megafast stacks/streams D: ?" I wonder why I can't do fast stacks on Kanbu or Cillit Bang on James diff D: Guide my how to do that D:

However, my english is a bit poor so don't kill me D:
anonymous_old

Ryohan wrote:

About mices:
Higher DPI is better because the mouse is more precise and that is all. Better mices have not any shitty acceleration D:
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before. osu! does NOT need insane precision. You ONLY need a higher DPI if you're a high-sensitivity player of osu!. You ONLY need a great acceleration if you spin very quickly or are a low-sensitivity player.

Ryohan wrote:

And I got one question to pr0s: "What kind of keyboard you use to hold this megafast stacks/streams D: ?" I wonder why I can't do fast stacks on Kanbu or Cillit Bang on James diff D: Guide my how to do that D:
Practice. However, I have been performing experiments and after I've tested them on a human subject and they are confirmed useful I'll post them.
show more