Does anyone here speak/learn Japanese?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Micaela Mousiki

Daru wrote:

Micaela Mousiki wrote:

Hmmm... I'm not good reading kanji ^^;
But reading the bits of the sentence, It has to do with the space, right?
"If you're using kanji, then you don't have to put spaces in."
lit. "If (you) use kanji, then spaces are not required"

Of course, as with my previous statement, I'm not too confident in my word choice here, so it may sound weird to a native speaker.

Japanese is written with no spaces, but they're usually put in to make it easier for beginners who don't know kanji and read sentences with only hiragana/katakana, or for signs or messages written entirely in kana.
Ah! I see ^^
Thank you, I didn't know about that. Next time will write with no spaces, then.
My1_old

Micaela Mousiki wrote:

Daru wrote:

they're usually put in to make it easier for beginners who don't know kanji and read sentences with only hiragana/katakana, or for signs or messages written entirely in kana.
Ah! I see ^^
Thank you, I didn't know about that. Next time will write with no spaces, then.
as you see, when you wont use kanji, then you can (and if you ask me you should) use spaces coz when you are no natve speaker, it is xTremely hard to figure out where one word ends and where the other begins.

I know about and still using spaces, coz it is easier to read...
Micaela Mousiki

My1 wrote:

as you see, when you wont use kanji, then you can (and if you ask me you should) use spaces coz when you are no natve speaker, it is xTremely hard to figure out where one word ends and where the other begins.

I know about and still using spaces, coz it is easier to read...
Yeah, I usually use kanji in "watashi" or the days of the week, numbers and some other simple things like tree, river, forest, etc.
And I normally use those in a sentence, so yeah ^^

I wonder how do I say " I wish *Insert noun here* " ?
My1_old
not sure but you maybe can go around it with the noun "wish"=negai
hinamizawan
I learn by myself, I know higarana and katakana and also all kanji from JLPT 4 to JLPT2. At the moment trying to read all JLPT1's kanji.
I'm such a weeaboo

EDIT: I mean JLPT
My1_old
JLTP??? WTF is that???
Daru

Micaela Mousiki wrote:

Yeah, I usually use kanji in "watashi" or the days of the week, numbers and some other simple things like tree, river, forest, etc.
And I normally use those in a sentence, so yeah ^^

I wonder how do I say " I wish *Insert noun here* " ?
You would generally use the form:
[noun]が欲しい。
lit. want [noun].

「欲しい」is an i-adjective that modifies the noun, meaning "want". However, it's not used as a verb like in English, but as an adjective, so the actual usage is different, and it conjugates as an i-adjective.

You can also use the 「たい」ending for the stem of verbs to communicate desire to do that verb. For example, 「昼ごはんを食べたい」, where I used the 「たい」ending attached to the stem of 「食べる」 to say "I want to eat breakfast" rather than "I eat breakfast". This ending also conjugates.
My1_old
can you let me understand it too???
Micaela Mousiki

Daru wrote:

You would generally use the form:
[noun]が欲しい。
lit. want [noun].

「欲しい」is an i-adjective that modifies the noun, meaning "want". However, it's not used as a verb like in English, but as an adjective, so the actual usage is different, and it conjugates as an i-adjective.

You can also use the 「たい」ending for the stem of verbs to communicate desire to do that verb. For example, 「昼ごはんを食べたい」, where I used the 「たい」ending attached to the stem of 「食べる」 to say "I want to eat breakfast" rather than "I eat breakfast". This ending also conjugates.
OK! Thank you very much!
Daru

My1 wrote:

can you let me understand it too???
Oh, sorry.
Here are the kanji I used:

食べる
たべる/taberu
to eat (v.)

欲しい

ほしい/hoshii
want (adj.)

いぬ/inu
dog (n.)

昼ごはん

ひるごはん/hirugohan
breakfast (n.)
My1_old
thx
GladiOol
I don't because japanese is silly
My1_old
DO NOT SAY THAT AGAIN!!!
awp

Daru wrote:

Oh, sorry.
Here are the kanji I used:

欲しい

ほしい/hoshii
want (adj.)

食べる
たべる/taberu
to eat (v.)

いぬ/inu
dog (n.)

昼ごはん
ひるごはん/hirugohan
breakfast (n.)
I rearranged them to be in grammatical order
GladiOol
Micaela Mousiki

GladiOol wrote:

LOL, I did expect you to say that again.
(Yummy cake btw)
My1_old
JAPANESE IS NOT SILLY, IT IS ONE OF THE COOLES LANGUAGES EVER, SO YOU DON'T DARE SAYING THAT AGAIN!!!
GladiOol
mathexpert
ah~ I long for the day I will finally be able to watch anime and read manga without translation.
My1_old
I can already do that somehow...
I do that quite often...
Pokebis

My1 wrote:

JAPANESE IS NOT SILLY, IT IS ONE OF THE COOLES LANGUAGES EVER, SO YOU DON'T DARE SAYING THAT AGAIN!!!
I cannot tell if you are being serious.
My1_old
I AM SERIOUS WHEN IT'S ABOUT JAPANESE
Micaela Mousiki

My1 wrote:

Umm...Calm down? He/She has a reason to think like that. Not good at it, perhaps?

I love when I understand a word or phrase without translation! ^^
mathexpert

My1 wrote:

I AM SERIOUS WHEN IT'S ABOUT JAPANESE
~-->HARDCORE OTAKU WEEABOO<--~

j/k:p
My1_old
me too that's one reason why I am learning it, but when anyone even thinks about insulting the japanese language, I cant help but get angry...
@above wtf is otaku???
Micaela Mousiki

My1 wrote:

me too that's one reason why I am learning it, but when anyone even thinks about insulting the japanese language, I cant help but get angry...
@above wtf is otaku???
From what I understand an otaku is a person who is interested in anime, manga, videogames and cosplay.
Some people are proud of it, some people may take it as an offense
My1_old
why could that be an offense???
hinamizawan
Calling you weeaboo could be offensive, but only in the interwebz that works. Otherwise if they called you weeaboo IRL they're probably weeaboos too lol
Azure_Kite
So, a person outside of Japan watching Anime, reading Manga, and playing JGaems/Listening to JMusic will automagically be a Weeaboo.

If it's a person WITHIN the country, who is Japanese, then they are said to be Otaku, or shut-ins.
Micaela Mousiki

Azure_Kyte wrote:

So, a person outside of Japan watching Anime, reading Manga, and playing JGaems/Listening to JMusic will automagically be a Weeaboo.

If it's a person WITHIN the country, who is Japanese, then they are said to be Otaku, or shut-ins.
I think a Weeaboo is a person who thinks that japan is the best country ever and won't pay attention unless it has to do with japan.
Reunilu
(When did this become a discussion about otakus and weaboos?)

Japanese I know:

kokoro-heart
higurashi-cicada
inu-dog
neko-cat
baka-idiot (who doesn't know that?)
hakase-professor
sorewa-this is
onii-san/chan-big brother
onee-san/chan-big sister
imouto-sister
yuki-snow
gomen ne/gomen nasai-forgive me/I'm sorry
youkai-demon spirit
tenshi-angel
kawaii-cute
betsu ni-not really/nothing/it's not that
hayaku-hurry/quickly

I still need the use of english subs though, since I'm just learning japanese plus I haven't learned most of the katakana, hiragana, and kanji out there, so if I go on a japanese website (like nico nico douga because some videos are on nico nico douga aren't on youtube)I need Google Translate.
Ephemeral
i can read katakana and hiragana and i know a few really common kanji, but i still have issues with sentence structure :(
Micaela Mousiki

Ephemeral wrote:

i can read katakana and hiragana and i know a few really common kanji, but i still have issues with sentence structure :(
Same here xD
I always have to repeat myself "the direct object goes first and then the verb" every time I have to do a sentence.

People tease me by talking to me in a chinese-like speech. And some people always confuses chinese with japanese:
"So, you study chinese?"
"Ummm...It's japanese"
"Meh, it's the same thing"

That's the coversation I usually get when someone finds out about me learning japanese.
Gorlum
I used to learn japanese on university courses, but since my major is korean language, learning both languages on advanced level became a tough deal, so i gave up on learning japanese. Still, i know it on basic level and can read hiragana/katakana and few hundred kanji. :|
My1_old
I think that doing my way is better, coz I met a japanese person yesterday and I could start a talk very good, and there were no prblems, coz I dont think about it very much, coz I have got an instinct for this
Ephemeral
i did japanese 101 for all of ten weeks and can sort of talk in rudiments to some native speakers, so it isn't all that hard to achieve some degree of marginal fluency.

i had a discussion once with a japanese student who was learning english - we spoke for a bit about how english grammar sucks, and how english is pretty hard to learn
Ekaru

Ephemeral wrote:

i had a discussion once with a japanese student who was learning english - we spoke for a bit about how english grammar sucks, and how english is pretty hard to learn
It is, really. We're the only language I can think of where native speakers often have to ask, "Uh, how do you spell that?"

Oh, and though I forgot to mention it months ago, I took the IB AB Initio exam and passed it with a 5. o/ That puts me at either N5 or N4 level. I'm not sure which.
Daru

Ephemeral wrote:

Aye, my Japanese professor went on a tangent during lecture once about the difficult to learn English as a second language compared to learning Japanese.

The number of syllables that can be produced in English is much higher than what can be produced in Japanese, and different combinations of letters are pronounced differently depending on the word. Contrast this to the strict rigidity of the kana "alphabets" and conjugation rules in Japanese, which have a very limited amount of exceptions.

Of course, Kanji is an entirely different beast in and of itself, but even those are relatively systematic compared to English spelling and pronunciation.

I'm so glad that English was my first language.
Mythras
うん、日本語が好き
二年前、俺の日本語の勉強が始まった
理由は日本語ゲームとアニメと漫画はすごく面白いぞ^ー^
My1_old
sou da yo, ore ni manga wa nai kedo, demo ore no nohongo no benkyou wa tabun 3nen mae ni hajimatta yo.
show more