forum

Red or Brown switches?

posted
Total Posts
show more
sorgenehtyals
reds are the lightest keys so obviously they are the best. The only thing that can negate the benefit of reds is a mental block but thats easy to get rid of.

why are some people saying its all preference? that isn't really helpful for the op.
Nyari
hello, 250 bpm reds streamer here, ive used reds for about a year now and now theyre dying on me, so i was forced to try another keyboard, i tried browns and i must say it really feels like bootcamp for my fingers. i might be getting slower for right now but i feel like i will be better later. i would say get reds, and if you think theyre great, good! keep em! if you dont id say try blues or blacks in a store before buying browns as browns can be hell to play with sometimes.
ziin
topre

rubber domes are so smooth
WolfCoder

StormR1d3r wrote:

...why are some people saying its all preference?
Because it is?
sorgenehtyals

WolfCoder wrote:

Because it is?

Either provide information or don't say anything. Saying 'it's preference' helps nobody.
Topic Starter
ballplay
the closest store to me (best buy) only has blue switches... (razer blackwidow) so unless i wanna go on the freeway i cant try any other switch
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

WolfCoder wrote:

Because it is?
Either provide information or don't say anything. Saying 'it's preference' helps nobody.
You're guaranteed to get completely different and/or biased answers in a thread like this. There are top players that use all 4 of the common types of switches (not just in osu!, but in other PC-based rhythm games too), and you'll find different arguments for each. There really isn't any "best switch", it's just a matter of finding the switch that has a feel that suits you and getting used to it.
also, I noticed you trying to spectate me earlier... I was screwing around with a 1px x 1px cursor. I don't suck that much :(
JAKACHAN
Blues
sorgenehtyals

YayMii wrote:

You're guaranteed to get completely different and/or biased answers in a thread like this. There are top players that use all 4 of the common types of switches (not just in osu!, but in other PC-based rhythm games too), and you'll find different arguments for each. There really isn't any "best switch", it's just a matter of finding the switch that has a feel that suits you and getting used to it.
It does not matter if there are some top players who use different switches than reds and still are able to do nicely since you can become good with any of those switches given enough practice. Why does that mean one type of switches can't be 'better' than the rest for osu ? Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so. It just means you have a shitty taste. So why would there be no difference with the different kinds of switches ? Liking them matters, yes, but you can get used to red switches just as easily at the cost of some time if you initially find them uncomfortable or whatever so that is not a problem.
Try again.

YayMii wrote:

also, I noticed you trying to spectate me earlier... I was screwing around with a 1px x 1px cursor. I don't suck that much.
shhhh, i was just spectating random people below 5000rank, don't mind me
jackisgone
i play with browns, i think theyre good, but if i could go back in time i would prolly buy reds
WolfCoder

StormR1d3r wrote:

Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so...
I'm pretty sure I didn't have to have Hands of the Viking to play my crappy membrane and hammer keyboard.

I'm also sure the pros could kick ass on anything and chew bubble gum, it really is entirely preference based. The performance ends with you.
nrl
Don't dismiss blacks.
sorgenehtyals

WolfCoder wrote:

StormR1d3r wrote:

Next part: Suppose you like to play on some fucked up rubber dome keyboard that requires you to have viking hands to be able to even press a button. Does that mean said keyboard is "best" for you? No, I don't think so...
I'm pretty sure I didn't have to have Hands of the Viking to play my crappy membrane and hammer keyboard.

I'm also sure the pros could kick ass on anything and chew bubble gum, it really is entirely preference based. The performance ends with you.
And I'm pretty sure all those pro players with fancy mechs will instantly suck ass on garbage under the label "rubberdome keyboard".
WWW did nice on freedom dive cause of the instant benefit reds gave him and so did cookiezi. Why is it all preference again ?
Mech keyboards allow you to express your skill better than rubber dome keyboards and red switches surely have proven themselfs by now to be the best at that.
WolfCoder
I know one person around here who swears the black switches let him do the same thing.
buny

StormR1d3r wrote:

And I'm pretty sure all those pro players with fancy mechs will instantly suck ass on garbage under the label "rubberdome keyboard".
WWW did nice on freedom dive cause of the instant benefit reds gave him and so did cookiezi. Why is it all preference again ?
Mech keyboards allow you to express your skill better than rubber dome keyboards and red switches surely have proven themselfs by now to be the best at that.
have you tried asking WWW and cookiezi if they got that much better from getting a mech keyboard?
you're obviously exaggerating the difference between it and all you're making yourself look out to be is some mech keyboard lover
TakuMii
The whole rubber dome thing doesn't apply here, since mechanical keyboards are objectively better, stamina-wise and consistency-wise.

As for the different switch types, they're all pretty much equal consistency-wise (aside from Blues, which are slightly less consistent since they use 2-part plungers rather than the single-part plungers that other switches use). In the end, it's up to the user to decide if they want a switch that provides them more stamina (Reds), tactile feedback (Browns/Blues) or higher elastic potential energy (Blacks). They each have their own benefits, and there's no point discrediting the others because so-and-so got a good score on x map.
MiDNiGhT2903

StormR1d3r wrote:

WWW uses blues.
IIRC Cookiezi owned freedom dive with blues.
Anyway, rubberdome is not that bad, at least its better than scissor switch.
I sucked ass when I switched to mechs, but because I was motivated that time I played more and got better.
That's all, no mechs are godly jesus kind of bullshit.
pooptartsonas
He is right though, there ARE differences between the switches, so instead of saying it's "just preference", maybe you could indicate what exactly would cause the differences in taste. To put it kinda shortly:

Reds are the lightest switch. Therefore, your fingers will not be as tired if you adapt to them properly. Thus stamina will typically be the best with reds.

Blacks are pretty much a heavier version of reds. Logically, this seems like a bad thing, but the increased force also means the resisting force will push your fingers back up harder. There are some people who swear to blacks, so I would say if you already have very strong fingers so the increased force is not a big problem, blacks are probably better for you.

Blues have tactile feedback, meaning you can feel when you press the keys, but this also means the activation is not linear. Linear switches in theory would be better for a game such as osu!, but the tactile feedback can be valuable mentally so you know exactly when you're pressing the key rather than having to get used to the feeling of red keys. This is probably where the main "preference" aspect comes in, but I'd say that linear switches are generally better since our brains are very flexible and can get used to the activation of red switches.

Browns I believe are like blues but without the loud click, I'm not sure exactly how the activation mechanism works though so I can't say much about them.

In the end though, anyone is perfectly capable of becoming good with any of the keyboards. Having a certain type of switch that isn't optimal for you won't make you bad, you might just be a little worse than you could have been.
Icyteru

IppE wrote:

Neither will automatically make you better.
Yes they do.
TakuMii

MiDNiGhT2903 wrote:

Anyway, rubberdome is not that bad, at least its better than scissor switch.
There isn't a universal membrane switch; each rubber-dome and scissor-switch keyboard will vary from one to the other in some way, shape, or form. I've played on some really crappy rubber-dome keyboards, but I also own a Macbook Air (which has one of the best scissor-switch keyboards I've ever used). That really doesn't tell me anything about rubber-dome vs scissor-switch. You really can't generalize membrane keyboards like that; it only makes sense for mechanical keyboards as most of them have switches made by Cherry. But I digress.

@pooptartsonas: Blues get their loud click from the 2-part mechanism they use (which snaps down after the actuation point), which enhances the feedback but causes the tactile bump to move when pressing the key. Browns don't have that; they're pretty much just Reds with a tactile bump.
Me168
Can somebody please explain what Switches are, because I might want to stop using my Laptops Keyboard (I think Switches are for Keyboard from what Im reading) so that they don't break
Full Tablet

Me168 wrote:

Can somebody please explain what Switches are, because I might want to stop using my Laptops Keyboard (I think Switches are for Keyboard from what Im reading) so that they don't break
http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.ph ... -switches/
sorgenehtyals
It looks like nobody reads what I say : ( it's annoying to have to repeat myself.

boat wrote:

have you tried asking WWW and cookiezi if they got that much better from getting a mech keyboard?
you're obviously exaggerating the difference between it and all you're making yourself look out to be is some mech keyboard lover

"they got much better" wtf are you smoking. Keyboards don't INCREASES SKILL. They just ALLOW you to EXPRESS it better. A good keyboard is one that can do this. WWW got 100% up to 1600combo first day whereas before he barely could pass it with 90% accuracy and his combo was shit incomparison. Cookiezi improved his acc from 96%(blues) to 100%(reds) in an instant which is a sign for higher stream stability although i'm not sure how true this is. I somehow don't think this is just a "little improvement", do you? Even if it just a little, it still shows that reds > the other switches.

The whole rubber dome thing doesn't apply here, since mechanical keyboards are objectively better, stamina-wise and consistency-wise.

As for the different switch types, they're all pretty much equal consistency-wise (aside from Blues, which are slightly less consistent since they use 2-part plungers rather than the single-part plungers that other switches use). In the end, it's up to the user to decide if they want a switch that provides them more stamina (Reds), tactile feedback (Browns/Blues) or higher elastic potential energy (Blacks). They each have their own benefits, and there's no point discrediting the others because so-and-so got a good score on x map.
Mech keyboards > rubber dome switches, my example just shows there IS a difference there, and it can be inferred that there is also difference between the different types of switches. I don't know about consistency, but reds proves to be superior than all others stamina-wise. Tactile feedback is all about mental, so they'll only help a little with stability for a short while, if they do that at all.

before you decide to answer read my other posts again.
2pooptartsons, +1 respect
buny
no need for such an aggressive attitude, and you're also quoting the wrong person.

being able to express skill better is just an aspect of getting better
hell, you even used the same word to describe something that you're trying to differentiate as something else.

Also, there are many factors towards this, such as the dates the plays were made and also their experience on the map

since you're comparing scores too, WWW has a much lower accuracy and more misses than rrtyui, who uses blue switches but loses in score because of his combo. This isn't enough to work on between which switch is better though, but your points are really invalid and one sided.

Also pooptartsonas, yes there are difference in switches but that doesn't mean that one switch is always going to be better than the others

saying it's not preference and that one is definitely better than the other in all cases is just stating your opinion as a fact.
sorgenehtyals
2 buny
I tell people to read what I say first before posting and they do the exact opposite ( you too)
being really skilled and being able to express it are two different things
you can stream 250bpm for 500 notes on reds, but can you do that on a rubber dome keyboard?
same with switches. WWW had little stability on 220bpm with blues as shown by previous plays on fdive and now reds helped him change that.
this is what it means to "express" skill, and in osu that is influenced only by the users periphery

second part is downright bullshit. read what I say before posting.
comparing WWW and rrtyui's scores? when did I say having reds automatically makes you the best at everything?
you can surpass both of those players by simply putting more effort, regardless of switches
I compared WWW's performance on freedom dive using blue switches and that made with red switches. The dates of either plays aren't that far apart either. (3 weeks difference AT MOST)

Read everything I said on previous pages and try again.
buny
could you stop putting words in my mouth?

I never said that playing better means improving skill level.
Like I said before, go ask WWW or cookiezi if they really did get such a boost from blue->red before you go spouting out all your rage text.

3 weeks time is a very large difference, and comparing scores of the 2 players is as valid of a point as how you're trying to make yours out, by saying that reds are superior whereas a red player is getting beaten by a blue.

For all we know rrtyui could have failed tutorial with reds, got blues and started to fc everything
Soarezi
niko said he can't fc mendes dt because he doesnt have reds.
white wolf & cookiezi played 4d after getting reds
reds masterrace
niko is the best though
RIP
sorgenehtyals

buny wrote:

could you stop putting words in my mouth?

I never said that playing better means improving skill level.
Like I said before, go ask WWW or cookiezi if they really did get such a boost from blue->red before you go spouting out all your rage text.

3 weeks time is a very large difference, and comparing scores of the 2 players is as valid of a point as how you're trying to make yours out, by saying that reds are superior whereas a red player is getting beaten by a blue.

For all we know rrtyui could have failed tutorial with reds, got blues and started to fc everything
I don't understand what you said here but i'll try to explain where you did wrong last time. The problem with what you said is that you compared rrtyui with www, which is senseless. We know that their skill is not equal. As I said two times before, you can become better with enough practice regardless of switches. So why would comparing rrtyui with www show anything ? However, if you pick one of them and compare their performance with blue switches vs performance with red switches, then you can get meaningful results. WWW proved it last night by getting a #1 on Freedom dive and getting that crazy combo+accuracy in one play. Few days ago he could barely pass freedom dive let alone get anywhere near to the combo he got yesterday. What does this show, you ask ? it shows www can express his skill better with reds than with blues. Same train of thought if you look at cookiezi. Why do I have to ask them when their performance already speaks for itself ?

Now do you get it ?
LuckyStrike_old_1
WWW said reds are the stamina hack.

he was going on ss up to 1400 combo with reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOu_2z0POg) - he never was that good on blues.
nuff said.
Nashmun
It's been 4 months since I started using red switches, and I was better with my laptop's scissor switches. Am I an alien ? Can I use my experience as an argument from authority to invalidate every other point of view like you guys are doing ?
TakuMii
All of the points you've been making are completely irrelevant to the original topic in question. OP asked for Reds vs Browns, not Reds vs Blues. As far as I know, none of the pros you've mentioned use Browns (except for WWW, but that's beside the point).

And if all you're going to do is use pro players as examples for your argument, I'll do the same:
Meet Staiain. He's considered one of, if not the best StepMania and osu!mania 4K player in the world, although he does play a bit of standard mode on the side (not quite pro level though). He uses Browns.
Here's a video of him FCing an unranked endless-stream version of Freedom Dive on osu!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y (you can find more impressive SM plays on his channel)
I'll just throw this quote in here too: "The thing with brown is, you can feel when the key registers, so you can play fast stuff without bottoming out the buttons while still having control. this is harder with red and black." (control is more important in SM though, since there's 4 individual note keys and the timing windows work differently)
He also said it himself that he plays faster with Browns than with Reds, although comparing the two are pretty much personal preference (due to them being identical aside from the bump).
Soulg

LuckyStrike wrote:

WWW said reds are the stamina hack.

he was going on ss up to 1400 combo with reds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOu_2z0POg) - he never was that good on blues.
nuff said.
i went to reds from blues and still can't stream for shit

help me cookiezi-wang you're my only hope
pooptartsonas

buny wrote:

Also pooptartsonas, yes there are difference in switches but that doesn't mean that one switch is always going to be better than the others
I never said that. I just said that instead of saying it's "preference", you should explain WHY it's preference or what might cause the differences in preference.

I think YayMii's example explains it pretty well. In theory, if one were to fully adapt to red or black switches (that is, learning not to bottom out while still understanding exactly when the key is pressing), then they would be superior. But the tactile feedback in browns and blues can be invaluable to assist one in, as Staiain says, bottoming out while still having control. THAT'S why it will depend on the person.
Wishy
Reds are the best because of technical reasons, there is nothing to argue here. If you get used to them then they are the best, if not practice until you get used to them.

By the way, Cookiezi got an AMAZING stamina improvement after switching to reds, iirc so did Metro, and lol when I tried reds I could play Deathstream Compilation like it was nothing for an hour, couldn't do that with blues. Nobody cares about some random player being bad with reds, they won't make you good by themselves, they will help on stamina, therefore on speed too, but if you are a bad player you will stay there no matter what you use.
Soulg
learning to not bottom out is hard

why is this game so hardddd
Dexus

Wishy wrote:

if you are a bad player you will stay there no matter what you use.
The shit you say. Elitist please go.

Soulg wrote:

learning to not bottom out is hard

why is this game so hardddd
Browns + o-rings = op for learning to not bottom out.

All switches are good in their own respects really. Blues give that click which some players use to help reinforce their timing. Blacks due to their weight can help you hit slower to hit more consistently. Browns have a smooth bump which can be felt to not bottom out and conserve energy and go faster. Reds just don't have anything to prevent your fingers from doing what they do so a lot of people enjoy them because of this freedom. Of course nothing is going to make you better, but stuff that isn't comfortable for you to play with can really hold you back. Reds aren't the best switch because everyone plays differently. Everything has their strength and weaknesses. With blues that click can irritate some people, with blacks the switches can be too heavy and nerf your stamina a lot, browns can feel a bit sticky on the inputs at times. Reds can feel like it's giving no feedback so it's really difficult to control what your fingers are doing plus you can waste a lot of energy due to bottoming out since there's nothing to stop you.
WolfCoder
Or have them Viking Hands
sorgenehtyals

YayMii wrote:

All of the points you've been making are completely irrelevant to the original topic in question. OP asked for Reds vs Browns, not Reds vs Blues. As far as I know, none of the pros you've mentioned use Browns (except for WWW, but that's beside the point).

And if all you're going to do is use pro players as examples for your argument, I'll do the same:
Meet Staiain. He's considered one of, if not the best StepMania and osu!mania 4K player in the world, although he does play a bit of standard mode on the side (not quite pro level though). He uses Browns.
Here's a video of him FCing an unranked endless-stream version of Freedom Dive on osu!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecyNfc4cA7Y (you can find more impressive SM plays on his channel)
I'll just throw this quote in here too: "The thing with brown is, you can feel when the key registers, so you can play fast stuff without bottoming out the buttons while still having control. this is harder with red and black." (control is more important in SM though, since there's 4 individual note keys and the timing windows work differently)
He also said it himself that he plays faster with Browns than with Reds, although comparing the two are pretty much personal preference (due to them being identical aside from the bump).
Are you even trying? Due to the lack of information in your post I'm going to make a plausible assumption: this fucker uses a special technique that takes advantage of browns and their thing with feeling the keys register. Switching to reds will naturally throw him of for a bit so he'll have to make some effort to adopt in order to get the full potential of reds. If my assumption is correc then his half-assed attempt at "trying reds" doesn't show jackshit.

The shit you say. Elitist please go.
Stop being a pussy and accept that you are terrible. The world doesn't revolve around you and isn't forced to suck on your dick 24/7.

All switches are good in their own respects really. Blues give that click which some players use to help reinforce their timing. Blacks due to their weight can help you hit slower to hit more consistently. Browns have a smooth bump which can be felt to not bottom out and conserve energy and go faster. Reds just don't have anything to prevent your fingers from doing what they do so a lot of people enjoy them because of this freedom. Of course nothing is going to make you better, but stuff that isn't comfortable for you to play with can really hold you back. Reds aren't the best switch because everyone plays differently. Everything has their strength and weaknesses. With blues that click can irritate some people, with blacks the switches can be too heavy and nerf your stamina a lot, browns can feel a bit sticky on the inputs at times. Reds can feel like it's giving no feedback so it's really difficult to control what your fingers are doing plus you can waste a lot of energy due to bottoming out since there's nothing to stop you.
No, they aren't. reds are best, read previous posts before posting.

wishy said everything there is to be said, why is it so hard to understand? ??
+1 to him
[FX] AEM

YayMii wrote:

i think sm players are best with blues. (only few people use red.) personally i prefer red sw.
freedomdive only 220bpm. << i must say this is easy for him.
TakuMii

StormR1d3r wrote:

Are you even trying? Due to the lack of information in your post I'm going to make a plausible assumption: this fucker uses a special technique that takes advantage of browns and their thing with feeling the keys register. Switching to reds will naturally throw him of for a bit so he'll have to make some effort to adopt in order to get the full potential of reds. If my assumption is correc then his half-assed attempt at "trying reds" doesn't show jackshit.
Look through his YouTube videos. He did use a Corsair Vengeance K95 (Red) exclusively for several months, and you can see that he made several videos while using them, before reaffirming his preference for his Qpad MK-50 (Brown). I would hardly consider that much time as a "half-assed attempt".
And if you have the patience to look through his ask.fm (which'll confirm all of my info), he states that there are benefits from using Reds, so it's not like he's discrediting them for the sake of discrediting them. He simply prefers Browns.
I really don't see the point in continuing to argue whether or not Reds are better than Browns. Reds and Browns are practically identical aside from one minor detail that has little to no effect on stamina.
and I really don't get why you're so angry, we're only discussing keyboards

[FX] AEM wrote:

i think sm players are best with blues. (only few people use red.) personally i prefer red sw.
freedomdive only 220bpm. << i must say this is easy for him.
Yeah, Freedom Dive is actually quite slow compared to a lot of stuff you can find on SM (which can reach somewhere around 260-270bpm IIRC).
And a lot of SM players recommend Blues simply because the tactile feedback helps a lot with training accuracy and control. They're stiffer switches though, so it's more straining on your stamina (and therefore not as good for faster stuff).
show more