forum

My brain takes over

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
lolpoi_old
Hello, I started playing osu!mania about 6 months ago and I have gotten to the point where my eyes cant follow some patterns, and when a pattern comes up that is much to fast for my eyes I can still play it but I don't know how. Does this happen to anybody else, and if so why does it happen?
Hanyuu
How it happens to all of us, please
Taadashi

lolpoi wrote:

Hello, I started playing osu!mania about 6 months ago and I have gotten to the point where my eyes cant follow some patterns, and when a pattern comes up that is much to fast for my eyes I can still play it but I don't know how. Does this happen to anybody else, and if so why does it happen?
I think it happens to all of us yes. As for why it happens, the explaination is probably that the brain devides the charts notes into patterns that it remembers and your fingers reacts and plays accordingly to your memory. Just a hypothesis on how it might work, not sure myself actually, haha. :P
Zare
Hi, you just discovered Muscle Memory, congratulations! °-°
Envisionise
This happens to me too, i started 6 months ago and most level 15+ bms that i can pass i can't follow at all lol. Muscle memory is wonderful
Bobbias
This is a natural step in learning. As you get better, you'll notice that you can read some of the stuff like this, and you'll be able to play even harder stuff without being able to read it.
Xcrypt
It certainly can happen a lot, but I try to avoid it. If there's something I can't read, I will never say that I can 'play' it. I just got lucky.
And yes, it is most certainly possible to read very fast maps with complex patterns. As you get better you will also get better at identifying patterns. This is what you read, the patterns, not the individual notes. This is why we can read so fast. Ofcourse your raw reading speed should also improve, but at a much slower pace. That's my idea anyway.
Bobbias
Almost every time I find myself playing stuff I can't really read, it happens right before I start improving quickly. If you can hit it, but can't consciously read it, your brain is still doing all the work to identify and respond to the patterns. You're just not conscious of it happening. Hell, unless I'm playing something that forces me to concentrate completely on it, I can be thinking about other stuff and barely paying attention to the patterns consciously.

Look at the 3 phases of learning here: http://users.rowan.edu/~burd/Curriculum ... Lrning.pdf

Having a moment where you seem to play something you don't understand is a moment of reaching autonomous play for a short period.
Xcrypt
Different people learn in different ways. My point was just that he shouldn't stop doing effort on reading just because it sometimes happens that you can play stuff you can't read, and that I don't consider clearing something you can't read something you can truly play.
Topic Starter
lolpoi_old
Thanks for the info guys it will help, and I won't stop attempting to read the patterns.
McBob49
one of my favorite things about games like this