forum

Music or difficulty?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Moneypenny_old
I'm curious, do you only play beatmaps where you like the song or do you play beatmaps which have the right difficulty for you and you disregard the song? Personally, I only have and play beatmaps where I like the songs and can listen to them without getting ear cancer, but I don't disregard the difficulty level either. I prefer when a song has normals and hards. There's no point for me loading a beatmap with only [easy]/[normal] and [insane] difficulties, when I'm currently at the point where I try to transition from [normal] to [hard]. It's no fun to have a song that I really like where I can't pass the only high difficulty (e.g. insanes, 'cause I'm really not at that level), so I rather don't download them at all, because it's depressing to not be able to play a song I like (also, I'm not a fan of spamming retry and I get tired of the same song really fast)
uzzi
Yes.

OT:
I find for me it's a mix of both. Sometimes I feel like playing certain songs because they sound nice, other times I'm just farming my butt off playing things that are challenging.
Nathanael
Personally, I choose music more than difficulty so these files would make sense on being downloaded and played.
Rio-
I'd rather choose if It's good-mapped (difficulty) rather than the music personally... cuz' every Music is fine for Me (But there's no point if It's A Song that I like but It's bad-mapped)
TwentyOne21_old
Well, depends with the song. If the song good to hear then I play it, if not it will just broke my ear.
Sometimes I feel sad if I can't play some songs I like because it's to hard or something else, well yeah you know it :roll:
Me168
I actually play a lot for the Music itself (especially being a musician that's literally the reason why I got osu in the first place). If a beatmap sucks but the song is good then I'll keep the song, but if it's a bad song, the beatmap needs to be AMAZING or it's getting tossed
buny
both

usually you can make the maps with songs you like with mods harder, anyway.
Oinari-sama
There's already a similar(?) thread t/161062

OT: I choose Music over diff. Old Touhou songs are the best!
[ Katsu ]
I choose music, even better when songs I like have challenging maps :D
AmaiHachimitsu
I choose music.

My favs are Chipscape, Big Black and Scarlet Goose
Aqo

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Scarlet Goose
asekuro
Well i play mostly because of the music a like and play it.

I also try insane difficulty with a beatmap i like and when i don't seem to pass that difficulty than i play some other beatmap and come back for it
to see if i'd improve myself from the last time.

Guess what, I beat beatmaps with insane difficulty when i first couldn't even pass the first few beats and was game over for me in an instant. Just keep trying and improve yourself bit by bit and you my discover that it is not impossible and you may pass even an insane difficulty.

I think it's really enjoying to keep trying and to have a feeling that after so many retry's that you finally pass that difficulty at the song you love. That is in my opinion one of many fun ways to play Osu doesn't it?. ;)
Rewben2
I generally just play whatever, but sometimes I just play specific songs for the music because I like it.
Almost
Difficulty because sometimes you may find a song you like but the map might suck and feel terrible to play.
AmaiHachimitsu
Aqo pls

CXu
Music > Difficulty.
Well, I'm not hard to please on the Music part anyway.
Aqo

AmaiHachimitsu wrote:

Aqo pls
o_o

needs more drum
silmarilen
from the thread oinari linked:

silmarilen wrote:

90% of the songs on osu are songs i would never listen to anyway
so yeah, i think its obvious
winber1
i play for tablet
EineKrone
Of course i play for music. Why i would play something i don't like? kids...
jkjk, but still on topic, if i like a music but it got toooo easy, i will start training hard so i can play it on the next level. So in a way i am searching for difficulty, in musics i like :)
WolfCoder
I only replay beatmaps with both difficulty and music I seem to like. By liking music, I mean as a beatmap and not necessarily something I'd listen to on a music player. I typically only listen to melodic power metal of which are little on osu!