forum

Playing osu! nosound

posted
Total Posts
show more
buny
that's probably why you're so dependent on the approach circle.
Coffee Hero
If doing this doesn't destroy your accuracy I think you're probably doing something wrong
pooptartsonas
You can still do your accuracy based on the rhythm by focusing on the hitsounds, not the music. The end of a slider will always be perfectly timed, so that will always get you back on track, then you just have to listen to the music a little bit to understand the BPM and your acc will be fine. Effects > music definitely does not imply that one is dependent on the approach circle; my effects are at least 2.5x my music volume and I can't acc slow parts at all or parts heavy in circles, implying that I am not at all dependent on the approach circle.

Having no music I could see still working based on the ends of sliders. Once you get a feel for the rhythm it shouldn't be that much harder if you are reliant on hitsounds. With that said, I see virtually no merits for no music as opposed to low volume music (and quite frankly it takes away the point of the game).
buny

pooptartsonas wrote:

You can still do your accuracy based on the rhythm by focusing on the hitsounds, not the music. The end of a slider will always be perfectly timed, so that will always get you back on track, then you just have to listen to the music a little bit to understand the BPM and your acc will be fine. Effects > music definitely does not imply that one is dependent on the approach circle; my effects are at least 2.5x my music volume and I can't acc slow parts at all or parts heavy in circles, implying that I am not at all dependent on the approach circle.

Having no music I could see still working based on the ends of sliders. Once you get a feel for the rhythm it shouldn't be that much harder if you are reliant on hitsounds. With that said, I see virtually no merits for no music as opposed to low volume music (and quite frankly it takes away the point of the game).
It was more directed to his second statement, not his first.
Keep in mind that I'm only specifically talking about having no music at all.
Topic Starter
meteor22

pooptartsonas wrote:

Yes I have lowered music volume compared to hitsounds, it has to be the best way. I never intended to play without music forever to begin with.

buny wrote:

that's probably why you're so dependent on the approach circle.
How does playing high AR make me dependent on the approach circles? First of all, I do nearly as good with HD in high AR maps. So if anything, it is low AR who make me dependant of the approach circles, but I actually think it is just a matter of being used to play low AR maps.

Now my problem was not reading high / low AR but that my rythm was very off in a few maps (scarlet is really the first that comes to my mind) and that removing music dramatically improved my performance in those maps. Which lead me to the conclusion that the music can really confuse someone (at least me) in certain cases.
GoldenWolf

meteor22 wrote:

How does playing high AR make me dependent on the approach circles? First of all, I do nearly as good with HD in high AR maps.
It's actually easier to play high AR with HD on than off, because there are less cluster on the screen (no approach circles and circles disappear halfway)
by high AR I mean everything over 10
Topic Starter
meteor22
That's your own opinion. People who are used to play HD will play better with HD, people who are not will not. I do agree that Hidden is better in high AR than low AR, but that's kind of obvious.

However clusters hardly appear in high AR maps or I don't know what kind of maps you're playing.
buny
Let me make this clear:

You're becoming reliant on the visuals. You do good on hd at high ar because the circle pops up then fades out and you hit it.
Now if you could do lower ar with hd then that's a different story.

Please show me your "improvement" from taking off the sound on scarlet rose, both replays before and after.
Lach
The shit people are trying these days in order to "improve" at clicking dots is mind boggling.
Me168
So I Decided to try this out (Since everybody is upset with each other and dosn't want to give proof)

Me Before Turning the Music Off: http://puu.sh/5VEpG

Me After Turning the Music Off: http://puu.sh/5VEzz

It's definitly weird, but there are many arguments you can make here. This is just one experience
Lach

Me168 wrote:

So I Decided to try this out (Since everybody is upset with each other and dosn't want to give proof)

Me Before Turning the Music Off: http://puu.sh/5VEpG

Me After Turning the Music Off: http://puu.sh/5VEzz

It's definitly weird, but there are many arguments you can make here. This is just one experience
Not only is it impossible to test, it's fucking stupid. Why on earth would anyone consider this a good idea?

All I see in your screenshots is you missing at different times (and your accuracy was better with audio). Playing something once, and then playing it again means you're using your memory to recall the pattern.
buny
Thing is, is that you need fresh plays.

If you play the map with sound first, of course you're going to have an idea of the rhythm the second play.
RaneFire
What's the point in playing without music anyway?

Rather quick way to get bored, unless you are 101% competitive... in which case I ask you to question your sanity.
Aqo

"rhythm games"

heh heh heh...
shortpotato
who is your friend?
i recommend you listen to high rank player
WolfCoder
If I turn the music off, my accuracy becomes terrible. If a beatmap was improperly made, simply refuse to play it and choose a superior one to enjoy instead.
Espionage724
I may try it at some point, but I really can't imagine it being... ideal. I rely on music to determine when to hit beats, and rely on hitsounds to tell when I hit the beats and to make sure I'm still in-check with the rhythm of the song. Turning off one or the other sounds like it would wreck my accuracy a bit :p
Keichi-kun
It's me the friend, and don't judge by the rank, we defeat 1k ~ 2k rank on multiplayer btw so you can't know our skill level by the rank and don't ask if it's bullshit or not, that work it's a fact and i don't think i'll play with music anymore, and i don't give a **** if i defeat the purpose of the game if that improve my performance. But apparently that dosen't work on everybody so... Play like you want
Soarezi

Keichi-kun wrote:

It's me the friend, and don't judge by the rank, we defeat 1k ~ 2k rank on multiplayer btw so you can't know our skill level by the rank and don't ask if it's bullshit or not, that work it's a fact and i don't think i'll play with music anymore, and i don't give a **** if i defeat the purpose of the game if that improve my performance. But apparently that dosen't work on everybody so... Play like you want
lmao k fight me fgt
buny

Keichi-kun wrote:

I defeat rank 1k ~ 2k on multiplayer too
Icyteru
But can you defeat airman
NoYzE
It may actually work...
...if you suck at listening to the music, fail at understanding what part of the beat the mapper intended to emphasize on, and have no rhythm sense at all.

Eh...why would people like this play a rhythm game for? ._.
PlasticSmoothie

Keichi-kun wrote:

"Don't judge me by my rank, see I can beat rank 1k-2ks, because they must be gods at the game judging by that rank. Also my method is the best and that's a fact, I don't even need to prove it because I am just so right"
That's what you sound like. :'D
pielak213
­
RaneFire
If you can't S said map with or without music, there is no point comparing "better" or "worse" - in both scenario's you lack the necessary skill to play the map properly. Muting the music only removes a distraction, which you should be using to your advantage, and not focusing 100% on reading something you can't even play properly yet. You are deceiving yourself.

Me168's example, if anything, shows that reading plays a large part, just like music... and that he performs 1% worse in accuracy without music, which is negligible, and as Lach said, can't truly be tested. But this is also not counting mods, where most competition takes place.

The counter-argument might be:
"But you should theoretically perform worse without music, therefore it's better without it if you can even come close to your original score!"
- No one, ever.

On the other hand if you can read the map easily, the presence or absence of music isn't going to change much.
Keichi-kun
Yea i don't get more skill or anything, i'm just more focus on the real rythm not on the music one so i do less random miss and i'm more accurate, but there is really a huge difference for me, but i think there is not for pros player and no, that help a lot for maps you can easily read, and others too like big black, airman, atama, rainbow dash, kokou no sousei, i just beat my record so hard with no music
RaneFire

Keichi-kun wrote:

Yea i don't get more skill or anything, i'm just more focus on the real rythm not on the music one so i do less random miss and i'm more accurate, but there is really a huge difference for me, but i think there is not for pros player and no, that help a lot for maps you can easily read, and others too like big black, airman, atama, rainbow dash, kokou no sousei, i just beat my record so hard with no music
I think we need to revise the definition of "read" to something more specific, because in my books, all the maps you mentioned I cannot read properly. There are many parts in all of them which are either very confusing or too fast and I execute poorly because of it.
Passing =/= reading.

I pair reading with execution... what my fingers can do and keep up with.

I've also been playing a lot of HD recently, I seriously doubt, and in fact have huge trouble, that playing without music will help. It's already enough of a problem for me to stop getting stupid misses with music. Yep, just failed in the first 15 seconds.
WolfCoder

Keichi-kun wrote:

Oh please. You're being too modest.
Keichi-kun
When i say i defeat 1k ~ 2k rank that mean i can, not i do it all the time, but a low rank can't be credible anyway, so think what you want
PlasticSmoothie

pielak213 wrote:

Keichi-kun wrote:

But apparently that dosen't work on everybody so... Play like you want

PlasticSmoothie wrote:

Also my method is the best and that's a fact, I don't even need to prove it because I am just so right"
That's what you sound like. :'D
Can I have some of what you're having? This guy beats rank 1-2ks and you're 6k...you stand no chance.
The way he worded it made it seem like that was what he meant
Also no, my stuff is my stuff only. ):
Amefuri Koneko
This thread makes me sad, ppl forgot what are rhythm games about :<
Me168

Keichi-kun wrote:

that help a lot for maps you can easily read, and others too like big black, airman, atama, rainbow dash, kokou no sousei, i just beat my record so hard with no music
If you're playing to beat your records just because you find it fun is good.

You sound more like you're going through "become Cookiezi" syndrome though. What's the points of playing a game when all you are doing is playing competitively. Sure, sometimes being competitive is fun and exciting, but when it becomes something ridiculous (Such as playing a game where the main focus is music without any music on) why even bother playing.
Keichi-kun
Yea you're right, i can't having fun by an another way, only the competition is intersting for me
Renske_old

GoldenWolf wrote:

It's actually easier to play high AR with HD on than off
by high AR I mean everything over 10
):
How does hd work
lolcubes

RaneFire wrote:

If you can't S said map with or without music, there is no point comparing "better" or "worse" - in both scenario's you lack the necessary skill to play the map properly.
You mean, SS.

:D
Aqo
Why draw the line at SS
Unless you get 0 unstable rate you can't play the map!
GoldenWolf

Renske wrote:

):
How does hd work
unless you can't play HD at all of course
how hd works: don't look, FEEL

on-topic: I really don't see the point to play a rhythm game without sound.
pooptartsonas
Music is irrelevant. osu! gets 0 unstable rate with no music and with music. QED
buny

pooptartsonas wrote:

Music is irrelevant. osu! gets 0 unstable rate with no music and with music. QED
can someone confirm this?
pielak213
­
show more