forum

How do you improve finger speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hArk3n
I think I was just born with slow fingers.

178 BPM, 20 hits with 2 fingers :(
I read that tensing up your arm helps your speed but I have read that it's a poor technique. It doesn't seem to help me much and just makes my arm hurt and get tired quicker.

I've seen people easily get 210 who don't even play Osu! and don't have a mech keyboard

I already use a mech keyboard with red switches, I play deathstream compilation a lot just trying to ZX as hard/fast as I can the whole time and I'm not noticing myself get any faster. My speeds from 2 months ago are faster/about the same as they are now. I don't have a problem reading AR10 or complex beatmaps, my fingers are just too slow.

How do I improve my fingers speed? Are there any exercises I can do or should I just continue to hopelessly grind stream maps?

(Also a side note, I've gone as far as eating extremely healthy, exercising, lifting weights [I heard that doesn't improve dexterity though] and still haven't noticed any difference)
kriers
Play Count: 96

why are you using a multi account to create a thread :roll:
Almost
Spam a lot of DT.
Soulg
just trying to ZX as hard/fast as I can the whole time and I'm not noticing myself get any faster.
ok problem found

listen to the music and hit along with it while focusing on the rhythm rather than on hitting for as fast as you can, you won't get nervous as quickly
buny
the trick to streaming fast is to not think about streaming fast
RaneFire
I also used to think this of myself... barely breaking 160 BPM, and 170 BPM was my peak when I was warmed up.
You want faster fingers?

hArk3n wrote:

hopelessly grind stream maps
I can tell you that what worked for me was NOT playing really fast stuff first, it was actually playing slower deathstreams and playing them well... working my way up as I got S full combo's (good accuracy first!) at each BPM. You also need the endurance gained through this method to sustain good accuracy.

Soulg wrote:

listen to the music and hit along with it while focusing on the rhythm rather than on hitting for as fast as you can
Once I finally did it on DM Ashura - AAA (stream practice map 160 BPM), I found Mendes (168 BPM), Perditus (172 BPM) and Almagest (178 BPM) and absolute walk in the park in such a short space of time afterwards, I couldn't believe it. Once I did Almagest, it was the same thing again, eventually I did the same all the way up to the 200 BPM map (Snow Goose) and found I could somehow grasp the finger speed required for rog-limitation. It was at this point that I started fooling around to get better "speed" because I could finally tell what I was doing.

To work on your speed, you need to first have a good sense of what your fingers are doing (not mashing), otherwise you are just going to get worse at the game the more you try. However if you let accuracy sink in first, you can play the fast stuff as much as you like afterwards without side effects.

For speed: Play short streams (3-9 notes). I don't quite know why this works, but it does, and is done easiest by spamming DT, as Almost said. I think that higher BPM's (200+) are a little too fast to think about, so you shouldn't... and must practice the motions on shorter streams first, and as you get better and more accurate at these speeds, you can sustain it for longer, because you have the endurance now. Currently I can only do about 50 notes without freezing up, but this was enough to S rog-unlimitation, which apparently only has OD7, as opposed to OD8. I'm not quite there yet.
Xcrypt

RaneFire wrote:

For speed: Play short streams (3-9 notes)
I can sort of confirm this. A good while back I also tried to increase my streaming speed. My top speed was around 180 BPM just like yours, after a week of practicing speed like this I managed to 200-hit-sustain 215 BPM. However, I had terrible accuracy and kinda had to start over with streaming. I stopped practicing streaming for a while and focused on aim, now my streaming top speed is 180 BPM again. I guess it's really something you have to maintain.

When I played longer deathstreams like staiain's freedom dive on HT, my finger speed was actually decreasing, only stamina went up.
Xcrypt
-delete this-
Rewben2
Streaming isn't about mashing keys, it's about actually understanding the speed and doing it consistantly. Doing what you're doing, which is trying to get the highest bpm you can, is pointless because if you don't have the accuracy/aim to back it up you aren't going to do well.
Soarezi
U gotta 420 blaze it
jesse1412
t/99612

You stop being blind and read this thread.
Lolzy
fap more
pielak213
­
buny

pielak213 wrote:

jesus1412 wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612

You stop being blind and read this thread.
Is OP original post or original poster...

I looked at the OP and the section on streams didn't say anything but practice. This thread is proving a lot more helpful than the "how to improve" thread. Something mentioned here that isn't in your post is to listen to the rhythm.
you don't get faster by listening to rhythm tho

you get faster by practicing fast maps
skaty

hArk3n wrote:

I already use a mech keyboard with red switches, I play deathstream compilation a lot just trying to ZX as hard/fast as...)
Try to focus on rhythm and don't click to hard. Try to decrease the force of clicking to minimal force that is required to activate your button.
NixXSkate

buny wrote:

LIES LIES LIES LIES
it's decided at birth
<- living proof
Mikelicious

Lolzyy wrote:

fap more
Ayesha Altugle
Practice makes perfect
buny

NixXSkate wrote:

buny wrote:

LIES LIES LIES LIES
it's decided at birth
<- living proof
data collected from a range of total people:1
ez
GoldenWolf

vahn10 wrote:

Practice makes perfect
I hate that so much

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice creates habits and if you practice the wrong thing, you'll create bad habits
Soarezi
Finger more
chanhien

Soarezi wrote:

Finger more
can't agree more than this.
Alpha
If you are right handed. Try tilting your left hand to the right while you are streaming with thumb underneath your fingers.
I think this is the ideal position for high speed streams because it levels out the contact points for you index and middle finger and makes it a tad more easier to be more accurate.
Zeamou
I just want a mech Keyboard :( OSU GODS (COOKIE) GIVE ME MECH KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!
Yuudachi-kun
Why the hell did your dumbass decide to bump a 3 year old topic and how did you find it
Jukkii
no. just why?
this is the worst and most useless necro i have seen on the internet.
Sugacchi
point your mouse to the circles early but click them at the right time
show more