forum

Wacom's recent Tablet re-branding and changes.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
NeVMiku
I know this is around two months old, but just to stop confusion that I have with the "Bamboo" line and the new "Intuos". Plus, I can't find any topic about this in the forums.

Long story short:

Avoiding "Cintiq" because most people won't use that for osu!, Wacom's "Bamboo" line has been re-branded as "Intuos".

And so, the original "Intuos5" line became "Intuos Pro".

More info in the link here and here(CNET).

But the "Bamboo" line is not completely gone either. There's a "Bamboo Pad" and a "Bamboo Pad Wireless" too. You can browse through the products on the left for more info. (EDIT: Apparently you can't change the active area size of the Bamboo Pad/Wireless on Windows, so it is highly not recommended. Get an Intuos instead, be it small or medium is probably better than this. Thanks: magzh EDIT2: Some can, some can't, dunno, try it.)

Also, keep in mind that the "Bamboo Pad Wireless" has roughly the same price as the "Intuos Pen Small" but the "Intuos Pen Small" has double the pressure levels (512 vs 1024) and a larger active area (4.21x2.63 in vs 6.0x3.7 in).

Somewhat might helpful link that you can scroll down for product comparisons whether you want to or not (Amazon).

Hope this helped some who are still trying to find the original "Bamboo" line on Wacom's website (such as me) or on Amazon (the latest ones at least). The original "Bamboo" are still around Amazon though, just the latest ones that were re-branded into new "Intuos" will also be there to confuse you with the original "Intuos5" line.

If there is already a topic about this, please delete this one if necessary (or if the other one is better). I am looking to buy a tablet (hopefully I will get one), hence I do not know how any of the aforementioned products will perform in osu!.

PS. I dunno...maybe I'm in the wrong section to post something about this...
uzzi
So the question becomes, should you buy the original bamboo splash, or get the new intuos?

I'm planning on buying a tablet this week and was thinking of getting the bamboo, but its availability is limited where I am...
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

So the question becomes, should you buy the original bamboo splash, or get the new intuos?

I'm planning on buying a tablet this week and was thinking of getting the bamboo, but its availability is limited where I am...

If you can't get a Bamboo then what choices do you have? First, you can get an Intuos Pro which cost around $200-$300+ or you can try and see if you can buy a Bamboo Pad... Personally I'd aim for the Intuos Pen Small though... Or, of course, a Bamboo Connect/Splash.

Me? Tablet? Never used one. Just based all this on pure 3 hours research and luck.
ballplay
im looking at the old bamboos on amazon and damn. ctl460 for $150 and ctl470 for around the same price. the new intuos (ctl480) is only $70
TakuMii

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

It really depends on the price you can find a Bamboo at. The Intuos is slightly better for osu! because of the higher polling rate (200Hz vs the Bamboo's 133Hz), but it's not worth it IMO if you can get a Bamboo for much cheaper.

Also, the new Bamboo Pad doesn't seem like it's worth the price for what it is. It has a similar active area and polling rate to the much cheaper osu!tablet (Huion H420), but it has less pressure sensitivity compared to the larger Intuos Small, despite being around the same price point.
thelewa
I wonder if that Bamboo Pad has hover, it might be interesting for osu! in that case
Dexus
Drivers for the Intuos (new one) are better than the bamboo ones. Also I couldn't find any information on the bamboo pad that was useful; personally I would avoid it.

http://osu.ppy.sh/p/amazon
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/tablet

osu!tablet will be well worth getting.
Topic Starter
NeVMiku

thelewa wrote:

I wonder if that Bamboo Pad has hover, it might be interesting for osu! in that case

The Bamboo Pad seems to come with a pen, yes, but it can also do multi gesture like on Apple's track pad. I saw the demo and no, I don't think it has hover...

Yep, I dunno xD
TakuMii

thelewa wrote:

Its specs indicate that it has electromagnetic resonance technology. So I'd assume that it does have hover.
TakuMii
thanks for your contribution to this thread

EDIT: damn the post got deleted
magzh
Just got bamboo pad and here are some downsides of it:

If you like playing on a small area, well then this tab is certainly not for you because you cannot change any properties of this tab, so only using full area is possible.
If you want to buy it for designing/drawing purposes, simply don't do it, get small Intuos instead. Here is a thread from their website which explains everything: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15912

On a bright side, it is a good touchpad and mediocre tablet. For some reasons it was lagging for me during first day, but it improved later on. It has hover feature and its small size is ok for playing OSU. But as for drawing, it doesn't give too much, unless you are using OSX. (For some reason WACOM gave proper drivers to OSX but not windows...)
Overall it was kind of ok for its price, but osu!tablet is probably gonna be better at the smaller price.
WolfCoder
That's bizarre because I've got a bamboo pad, but it lets me change the active area and the pressure sensitivity works in Photoshop / Illustrator, etc. under Windows 7 64. I just downloaded the bloated driver package thingy from WACOMs website when I install it.
magzh
well I tried installing their bamboo drivers, but it simply doesn't detect the tablet itself...