forum

Snapping

posted
Total Posts
show more
phoenny
Uhm, i tried some other maps from LKs.. but those 2 - https://osu.ppy.sh/s/61590, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/54033 are just impossible to me.. i passed them twice both.

If someone could tell me if im doing it right that would be nice, cuz im not sure if its right.

http://puu.sh/5QYVp.osr / https://osu.ppy.sh/s/59345)

Im not sure but i would say yes, but i have no clue so yea. xD
RaneFire
Replays are not going to show you correct cursor data regarding snapping. The frequency of recorded data is too low which smooths everything out.

It's best that you try to analyse your play in real time.

This is probably why noone has really picked up on the importance of snapping? Because you can't really see it unless said player is really fast at snapping so that osu! actually captures the data in the replay.

\o/ 500th post \o/
GoldenWolf

RaneFire wrote:

This is probably why noone has really picked up on the importance of snapping? Because you can't really see it unless said player is really fast at snapping so that osu! actually captures the data in the replay.
hi metro

RaneFire wrote:

\o/ 500th post \o/
\o/ gratz \o/
buny
flow movement forever
Weed
Going around in circles on squares looks cooler.
johandrossi

Asiangodx2 wrote:

unkempt wrote:

By snapping i mean to get to the circle ASAP and wait a bit until you have to actually hit it. Yeah something like the squares in atama no taisou.
I know, I just wanted to know if he's able to do the squares in atama no taisou now.
No, I can't do Atama. But it's really not due to the squares at all, its because I can't do 240 bpm singles.
brendanuhs
"No, I can't do Atama. But it's really not due to the squares at all, its because I can't do 240 bpm singles."
if you can do the squares in atama, the rest of the map is easy as hell in comparison.
And part of being good at snapping and playing squares is speed.
buny
"atama no taisou is hard because of the square patterns! not because of the ridiculous spacing at 240bpm!!!!!"

-people who can't play atama no taisou logic
Naikaze
It is true though, I passed the squares once and the rest is easy as hell.
johandrossi

brendanuhs wrote:

"No, I can't do Atama. But it's really not due to the squares at all, its because I can't do 240 bpm singles."
if you can do the squares in atama, the rest of the map is easy as hell in comparison.
I'm as good at squares as I am at non-squares because I practice snapping.
However, I am not fast enough to do 240 BPM songs. Even if the jumps in Atama weren't squares I still wouldn't be able to do it. Never did I say I was a great player, but once I AM able to tap speeds of 240bpm+, I am pretty confident that with a few tries I'll be able to do Atama (nevermind I'll still fail on the 240 streams)
buny

Gatyaa420 wrote:

It is true though, I passed the squares once and the rest is easy as hell.
it's also the only part with continuous singles and large spacing
shortpotato
does the movement matter? . . can you just put the cursor over the notes and click
brendanuhs

johandrossi wrote:

brendanuhs wrote:

I'm as good at squares as I am at non-squares because I practice snapping.
However, I am not fast enough to do 240 BPM songs. Even if the jumps in Atama weren't squares I still wouldn't be able to do it. Never did I say I was a great player, but once I AM able to tap speeds of 240bpm+, I am pretty confident that with a few tries I'll be able to do Atama (nevermind I'll still fail on the 240 streams)
it's like od7 and unspaced, short streams. i can't even stream 160bpm and i can fc those "streams".
johandrossi

brendanuhs wrote:

it's like od7 and unspaced, short streams. i can't even stream 160bpm and i can fc those "streams".
od8, 20 note 240 bpm streams. Close enough right?

Congratulations on being able to FC those, and subsequently being 'better' than me. I am impressed, it must mean a lot to you.
Keep up the good work, I understand how important epeens are. Have a good day!
iWhorse

brendanuhs wrote:

"the rest of the map is easy as hell in comparison.

http://puu.sh/5Wpqb.jpg <his score on the map (also note the day it was played)

waow u acc pro square must be really hard, must have took ton and ton of accuracy point away becuz "easy" is usualy meaning very much precent acuracy
buny
i am rly pro guis

Talinoth
Heh, you passed didn't you? That's more than I could manage.

This "Nogard" difficulty that appears on val0108 maps and BlueDragon maps appears to be a kind of Insane+ difficulty. I think I'll give myself a full year and a half before I can attempt stuff like that.

Meanwhile, on to the actual point of the thread.

In my questionably limited experience, I've found that at least *trying* to snap works wonders. I can actually make decent attempts (I still fail, but points for trying) at a couple of Insane maps with nasty jumps but low bpm because I'm getting a lot better at moving my mouse around quickly. When they throw in mixed streams and 10 deep stacks I fail, but that's another matter (TIMING)

Plus, speaking of timing, snapping to a circle then actually WAITING for the rhythm before you click seems to be a really good way to do things because it forces you to learn the timing of a song. If you snap to all the circles and click straight away, you'll end up with a lot of 100s, 50s, and flat out misses. So you end up learning *exactly* when to click, instead of just clicking a circle as soon as you get to it.

(Please take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a noob after all)
Soarezi
Good luck playing 5 minute maps with a mouse only snapping to notes

RIP hand
Talinoth
So that's what I've been doing wrong the whole time? I thought the whole reason my hand was hurting all the time was because I just had terrible muscle tone, not that mouse only was actually supposed to hurt.

The things you learn.
buny
nogard is dragon backwards
mind = blown

it's really easy to snap low bpm maps, since it's not very realistic to do flow movement at such a slow pace. The only problem with snapping is that it's very hard to snap all notes in a high bpm map without having to strain your hand
Mikelicious

buny wrote:

You changed my life.
Soarezi

buny wrote:

I thought it said shitmap.
Oh well :(
Dexus

Talinoth wrote:

Plus, speaking of timing, snapping to a circle then actually WAITING for the rhythm before you click seems to be a really good way to do things because it forces you to learn the timing of a song. If you snap to all the circles and click straight away, you'll end up with a lot of 100s, 50s, and flat out misses. So you end up learning *exactly* when to click, instead of just clicking a circle as soon as you get to it.
This is why I tell people to snap to notes. You summed it up perfectly. Doing this at faster speeds results in good accuracy as well but it's a lot of strain.
Gigo
Yeah, it's pretty much universally agreed that snapping is a really effective way to play, but... flow movement is just soooo much cooler to watch! When I see someone "flow" through the notes of fast-paced songs... I don't know, there is just something about it, that's more pleasing to the eye.
Almost

Talinoth wrote:

I don't know about that. Playing flow movement is like moving your cursor to the music as well so it's not like you aren't playing by music.
buny
flow movement feels very nice when the notes are the same distance apart from each other
Synchrostar
i can't snap i dunno why
i feel more comfortable flowing through a map
YukinoDesuDesu
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/207113 http://puu.sh/5XyG8.osr
Could someone please go over my terrible play? So, do I actually get the essence of snapping?
-Chronopolis-
I found that heavily snapping reduced the amount of aiming misses with the mouse on high dpi as opposed jerking the mouse a certain distance based on muscle memory (switched to low dpi recently though, big help). Two songs which I had done unusually well on, I found I had being unconsciously doing snapping motions. It still took a lot of focusing by the eyes (you track every single note and slider head), and I couldn't really snap the same on songs >180 bpm or AR9.
Vuelo Eluko

RaneFire wrote:

mentalac wrote:

It's the opposite. As much time as possible spent on the circle, very little time in between circles.
But the proper procedure for notes that aren't quite touching but form curves/lines is still smoothly going over them like a stream right?
RaneFire

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

But the proper procedure for notes that aren't quite touching but form curves/lines is still smoothly going over them like a stream right?
Yes. If the spacing is exact and practically touching, whether it be curves or lines, so long as the motion can be consistent, it's best to glide over them. Polygons may require snapping.

Just to clarify: If you shove a note between 2 notes and they overlap each other, that's considered "practically touching." The whole purpose of snapping is to spend more time on the note and less time in empty space, but if the notes are that close then you are doing that already.