forum

Is changing songs constantly bad for improvement?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
jr1254
Since I have school I don't play much osu but when I do play osu I have a bad tendency to play a song , if i fail it i move on to the next song , if I have low accuracy (c) move on to the next song . Ive been trying to improve with what little time I have but could this really effect how much I improve? Any further advise would be thankful thanks.
iSpR1Te
I've been pretty much the same way since I began playing this game. I very rarely play a map twice per day. The few maps that I play maps over and over again I tend to get more nervousness after each try because I know exactly what is coming next. (why I hate flashlight) I think playing maps only once will help you sight read better but you probably won't get as many full combos as if you retried a couple of times. I feel like the only downside of switching maps only after one play is you won't get as much pp. This may also have contributed to my high play count.
Rio-
Preferences

Some people like Me tend to play another song If I can't pass or FC that song and sometimes I quit that song at the very end to prevent ranking. because If I tried to play a song constantly, I can feel that My hands got stiff. And if I can pass the song that I repeated over and over, usually I failed when I play some song that a lot easier than the song that I constantly play...
*Except If I tried to FC A Hard map with Hidden+DoubleTime
brendanuhs
if u can't play a map more than once, you'll never fc anything worthwhile. I really have no clue what you're saying.
buny
No. It's probably better actually, because you're playing a completely new map every time.

Playing the same map will increase your muscle memory for specific maps and might not actually increase your overall skill
[ Katsu ]
IMO if you always play the same songs you'll only be good at those same songs. If you play a variety then you'll be exposed to a wider range of mapping styles and when you get more new songs you'll even pick them up easier.
Arcanine
not really. it's a little like working out. when you work out, you change your routine because your muscles have gotten used to it. same thing applies for osu!
NoYzE
many people try a bunch of hard maps over and over again until they can play it good.
Their problem is: they only can play that particular maps.
My advise for everyone who wants to get better fast: Play easy maps and play a lot of them until you have a good accuracy THEN play harder maps.
I can SS most easy, normal and quite some hard maps on my first play without having ever seen it before because i learned things like reading the approach circles and patterns, not a bunch of hard maps.
To get used to the patterns of hard maps you should HT them before, focusing on good accuracy and full combo instead of just pass them.
Also, play some old maps of beatmap packs #1-25 if you are advancing (not at the beginning!).
Most maps have no real patterns, awkward timings and unreasonable spacing on hit circles, short: they are terrible. But if you can S them you will think that today's easy and normal maps are for kinder-garden ;)
El Koko
no, actually changing songs regularly will help you improve a lot. it's ok to challenge yourself to pass/fc a song - but doing it way too many times will usually lead to becoming worse at it (not un-improving!) and/or memorizing it (and not actually training)
Rewben2

Kokozord wrote:

but doing it way too many times will usually lead to becoming worse at it
True, I've noticed that when I'm trying to FC some insanes I do the first 2-3 tries very good, as in I get 75% way through before missing. Then I end up constantly missing on parts I passed on my first few tries, and end up having to retry the song 20-30 times to actually FC it -.- idk I just suck.

Anyways, definitely swap it up. Play some maps with streams, stacks, jumps, different AR's and such. If trying to improve, consistency/accuracy is more valuable than speed.
Almost

NoYzE wrote:

many people try a bunch of hard maps over and over again until they can play it good.
My advise for everyone who wants to get better fast: Play easy maps and play a lot of them until you have a good accuracy THEN play harder maps.
I can SS most easy, normal and quite some hard maps on my first play without having ever seen it before because i learned things like reading the approach circles and patterns, not a bunch of hard maps.
To get used to the patterns of hard maps you should HT them before, focusing on good accuracy and full combo instead of just pass them.
Also, play some old maps of beatmap packs #1-25 if you are advancing (not at the beginning!).
Most maps have no real patterns, awkward timings and unreasonable spacing on hit circles, short: they are terrible. But if you can S them you will think that today's easy and normal maps are for kinder-garden ;)
That's not right. Even if your accuracy is good on easy maps, that does not necessarily mean you can play harder maps as well. Playing a lot of easy maps does not help you improve very fast either since you aren't really challenging yourself. Also, don't play hard maps with HT, hards don't really have any patterns in them in the first place and even if they did, they wouldn't even be hard to do. I'd also like to point out that many old maps are counter-productive in terms of accuracy training since many of them aren't timed well but they do help you improve reading.
buny

NoYzE wrote:

Main reason why people come to forums to complain about how they aren't improving when they only play easy/normal
kleps
tl;dr but title is stupid as fuck, so no its not bad for improvement
NoYzE
1st: Trying to play the Big Black if you can't even FC a hard map won't improve your skills at all.
And that is exactly what people trying to do compared to their skill level.
They can't even S an easy map but try to play hards, because people in the forums say they've got to play hard maps to improve, sorry but thats bullshit.
If you can't hit notes in the right time on slow and easy maps, you won't do it on hard maps, simple.

2nd: Of course there are patterns you can learn on hard maps, that won't appear on easy and normal maps but are just too fast to understand it for a new player without half time.
For example: 2 sliders close to each other with minimal timing between them OR notes directly after or before a slider, bigger jumps, fast triplets, notes of 8 and more grouped and short streams.

3rd: Yes the old maps are not timed well. And that's why they help you improve if you are comfortable with modern easy and normal maps! It forces you to read the approach circles instead of memorize.
This way you'll never get caught again by breaks and click too early in today's beatmaps.

I respect what you say and it's very true for advanced players, but i was talking about new players while advanced players improve a lot different than new players.
Of course i don't say people should play a lot of easy and normal maps if they are already good at them.
But i say they should learn the basics before advancing to harder stuff, period.
Almost

NoYzE wrote:

buny wrote:

That's not right. Even if your accuracy is good on easy maps, that does not necessarily mean you can play harder maps as well. Playing a lot of easy maps does not help you improve very fast either since you aren't really challenging yourself. Also, don't play hard maps with HT, hards don't really have any patterns in them in the first place and even if they did, they wouldn't even be hard to do. I'd also like to point out that many old maps are counter-productive in terms of accuracy training since many of them aren't timed well but they do help you improve reading.
1st: Trying to play the Big Black if you can't even FC a hard map won't improve your skills at all.
And that is exactly what people trying to do compared to their skill level.
They can't even S an easy map but try to play hards, because people in the forums say they've got to play hard maps to improve, sorry but thats bullshit.
If you can't hit notes in the right time on slow and easy maps, you won't do it on hard maps, simple.

2nd: Of course there are patterns you can learn on hard maps, that won't appear on easy and normal maps but are just too fast to understand it for a new player without half time.
For example: 2 sliders close to each other with minimal timing between them OR notes directly after or before a slider, bigger jumps, fast triplets, notes of 8 and more grouped and short streams.

3rd: Yes the old maps are not timed well. And that's why they help you improve if you are comfortable with modern easy and normal maps! It forces you to read the approach circles instead of memorize.
This way you'll never get caught again by breaks and click too early in today's beatmaps.

I respect what you say and it's very true for advanced players, but i was talking about new players while advanced players improve a lot different than new players.
Of course i don't say people should play a lot of easy and normal maps if they are already good at them.
But i say they should learn the basics before advancing to harder stuff, period.
Still wrong. While your first point about people playing stuff way out of their league is correct, but playing hard maps does not mean spamming Big Black or Airman or Scarlet Rose when you are just spamming mindlessly. When people say play hard maps, they mean maps that you can just barely pass. Your second point is also wrong as you don't need to learn specific patterns at a beginner level, just playing difficult maps (and I mean maps that you can barely pass) is enough to improve since learning specific patterns is only necessary when going for an FC. Speed and aim are a lot more important for a new player compared to accuracy because it doesn't matter if you can SS easy and normals if you can't even pass a hard. And lastly, your third point is also a bit weird since playing old maps worsens accuracy which kind of disagrees with the rest of your post and modern maps don't really require as much memorization compared to old maps for most modern players. Also learning to read approach circles is also a bad way to do things because it increases problems you have playing with hidden.