forum

Been playing for nearly 4 months, still can't pass hards.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mystrian_old
Play james maps.

Artaxerx wrote:

Asiangodx2 wrote:

You should buy a tablet.
Absolutely! After all, it's a proven fact that osu simply CAN NOT be played with a mouse. Good mouse players DO NOT exist in osu. Everybody, if you are wondering why you suck at osu, it's because you are playing with a mouse. Buy a tablet... now!
NoClue and SiLviA are good mouse players
Kanye West
Been playing for more than 2 years.

Still can't pass hards.
Soarezi
been playing for 9 months, still can't FC big black
GoldenWolf

Mystrian wrote:

NoClue and SiLviA are good mouse players
do you even sarcasm
Rinku

Talinoth wrote:

-Rinku- wrote:

The best way to get better is to stop asking for help and just play.
Yes, I realise that I need to practice more.

I probably just needed validation because A: My progress seems damningly slow from my own perspective and B: My RL friend is already 4x better at this and he hasn't played as long. I know, that's a pretty shallow reason to post this thread. I know that.

I'm a human being though, and I can't help but be irked at how he smirks at me while he thinks "Still having trouble, are you?". Grrr.
Lol stop responding to this thread and just play. Your reasoning doesn't matter to anyone, even yourself. If you play you will get better.
Mizuno Yui
I don't really understand this condescending "Just play" thing. I'm still fairly new and learning, and here are the 2 most recent examples I can think of that speak otherwise:

1. Streams: Just spamming streamy maps doesn't do shit, but lewa's "think about this and that while streaming, don't just mash buttons, etc etc" helped me more than just mindless playing
2. Jumps: "Play Scarlet Rose more", "practice" and stuff don't seem as helpful as Higu's jump training thread.

I understand some things might seem like common sense, but pointing them out is far more helpful than picking on people because they can't play.

Edit: I just feel whiny :(
Zare
Scarlet Rose is best practice tho.
silmarilen

mentalac wrote:

I don't really understand this condescending "Just play" thing. I'm still fairly new and learning, and here are the 2 most recent examples I can think of that speak otherwise:

1. Streams: Just spamming streamy maps doesn't do shit, but lewa's "think about this and that while streaming, don't just mash buttons, etc etc" helped me more than just mindless playing
2. Jumps: "Play Scarlet Rose more", "practice" and stuff don't seem as helpful as Higu's jump training thread.

I understand some things might seem like common sense, but pointing them out is far more helpful than picking on people because they can't play.

the thing is, there are no things that seem common sense to us but might not to others that havent been said 500 times all over this forum already.
it may be the OP's first time posting here, but we have seen the same question come by countless times and it gets boring when the answer is all over the place already.
Mystrian_old

Zarerion wrote:

Scarlet Rose is best practice tho.
With NoFaill I'm no good at recommendations, but here. ClariS - Connect (TV Size) and Chata - Taiyou

If I had to give some advice, it would be to practice "snapping".
Zalaria
Hards don't have much of a difficulty spike, that would be the insanes. And don't worry if you can't pass hard diffs yet. Everyone learns at their own pace. Heck, you said 4 months, I was still playing normals at that time as well, though I did a few hards also and got decent ranks on them. It took me about 7-9 months to be able to play insanes somewhat well. I'm a slow progresser and I don't mind that. Just keep playing and you'll notice an improvement over time ^^ No one becomes pro overnight right? :D
brendanuhs

mentalac wrote:

higu's jump training is less helpful than just playing whatever map you want. practising patterns you can't play properly, gradually increasing difficulty. which is the most common thing ppl to do. just play shit you like and you get better, and you start playing more difficult songs u like. it's so obvious. there's a reason you no one takes threads like and to you it seems like "picking on people" and it's because there are at least 100 threads about this and the answer is always the same.
ityka
The thing is though that you seemingly keep disregarding what people tell you to do in this thread while you still post like you can't understand how your friend that started later than you is better. Hard work prevails dude. Many of my friends had over 5k plays in the first month they found osu!

You care far too much for your own rank, and putting on no fail and playing insane songs / high bpm hards seem to almost frighten you. Honestly it just feels like you want to vent out that your friend is so much better than you and you cannot understand how, he must be soooo talented. Quite honestly I dont think you want to improve. A quote from kriers to a question about high vs low mouse DPI on his ask.fm I think fits pretty well here, even though its to another question:

"I don't see how you have the motivation required to become really good. Maybe that's fine with you but we will always give you advice based on the assumption that you're trying to improve as much as possible and so it's frustrating to stay cool about ignorance to our advice when the truth is you don't care to bother at all."
Zare

silmarilen wrote:

the thing is, there are no things that seem common sense to us but might not to others that havent been said 500 times all over this forum already.
it may be the OP's first time posting here, but we have seen the same question come by countless times and it gets boring when the answer is all over the place already.
Can we like, quote this everytime someonme asks a stupid question and instalock the thread afterwards?
No wait, G&R would be dead then, well shit
-Chronopolis-
You can try playing with no fail for the majority of your time and focus/base your improvement on being able to play those faster patterns, rather than not dying. Like would you practice a piano song only from the start, always restarting if you made a serious mistake? No way.

EDIT: After reading the thread through.

Talinoth wrote:

Nofail is... I don't know... it feels evil...
My main fear with No-Fail is that I'll end up developing weird habits and lackluster accuracy from just spamming on hit circles on high BPM maps instead of making calculated but slower moves on lower BPM maps that get me better scores.

Plus, that one time I did use No-Fail (to pass a Normal actually, it was a long time back) it gave me literally the worst score anyone's ever gotten for the map. Like, I looked at the highscore list, and my score was the VERY LOWEST score in the entire 9000 long list. Ouch.
Stop focusing on score. Focus on whether or not you can read and aim and tap in rhythym harder and harder patterns. I'll go ahead and put this out here. I'm a no-fail player. Over 90% of my 6000 odd plays have been using nofail. I still can't pass some hards. But I can do just fine nofail on most insanes (and pass the ones with lower drain). You can and will get grades like B and still be like 9001/9007 for score. You will not get an ounce of pp unless you decide to take a detour into pp whoring town. However, you will likely get better at playing harder and faster songs.

The part you mentioned about spamming is a valid concern, just figure out your max comfortable single tap and streaming speeds for burst and sustained, and don't play songs which have a bpm more than 20-30 what you are comfortable with.

Also stop hating on mappers and other players. It's not cool and makes you look silly.

Most people I've seen posting could do HR+DT+HD+FL on easy maps in first week, normals as soon as they could start playing, hards within the first 2-4 weeks, and insanes in only 6 months or so.
Let me speculate. Let's say osu players are divided into two categories: those who feel the need to show off when they post on the forums, and those who don't. Let's make another, unrelated division: those who improve very fast, and those who don't. It's reasonable to assume that only those who fall into the first category in both cases would post their history, and so there you go.
PlasticSmoothie

mentalac wrote:

Okay let me just vent for a second.

I, by pro standards, am not good at this game. I can't do all the impressive stuff pros can do. Getting a top 50 score on a map that hasn't just been ranked is out of the question unless it's an easy hard or a normal. What am I doing to fix this? I'm playing the game. I play maps I can't get a full combo on, I get annoyed at how much I suck and try to get better. Like every other person at every level.
That's why threads like this one gets less-than-serious replies; because there truly isn't a way other than playing the game, and the little advice there is to give is already there... in the form of a stickied post at the top titled "How to improve at osu!" that so few people apparently actually click and read before they post a question.
Most learned to play by playing. They truly did learn to play by playing the game, because osu! is so much more about learning muscle memory and whatnot than other games. There is no meta, there is just "Spend time on the game to win".

Don't even get me started on why people ask a question when the same exact question has been asked on a current active thread and yet people create a new one anyway, despite clearly being able to read what kind of replies the previous one got.

Y'know, if there wasn't a way to search, if there was no way to know if someone else had posted that question before then I'd be with the people saying the answers are condescending and elitist. That's because then it wouldn't be the person asking questions' fault, and I would most likely have a polite message with links in a notepad document ready to copy to threads.
But jeez guys, every forum has rules about searching before you post, how can it not be second nature?
/rant
silmarilen
amen
Weed
god bless
Aqo
Been playing for nearly 5 months, still can't pass [Easy].

help
idkhowtoclick
Try not to play too much HR / high approach rate, as that might be bad for your reading.

Instead try to play low AR maps, HD or even EZ mod. Trust me, you will need to be able to read unless you're only gonna play hr/hrhd.

I did one of these threads too when I started and it was pretty much a waste of time. Literally there should be a faq for the question:

Question: How to get better at x?
Answer: Practice x.

It really only comes down to practice..and play for fun.
Topic Starter
Talinoth
First post has been edited.

Problem solved, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for your help.