forum

improving in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old
just wondering how to improve in osu!mania and how people deal with those complex patterns. I tried practicing with exclusive osu!mania songs (beatmap that's only for osu!mania) and those complex patterns are really crazy! just wanna ask should i practice those maps with fast scrolling speed or slow scrolling speed, is it true that practicing with slower scrolling speed could make me understand the patterns faster? :?: :?: :?: helppppp :!:

i'm playing 7k btw
Aqo
Yes. Use low scrolling speeds.

If you play with a high scrolling speed you will never improve.

Generally, the higher the scroll speed is, the easier it is to get accuracy (because you can focus more on one note at a time) but the harder it is to learn new patterns. You should only switch to high speeds on maps once all of their patterns are already easy for you.
arcwinolivirus
Playing high scrolling speed doesnt mean you will never improve. Just set a speed of what you think is comfortable to play. Its up to your eyes, reaction time and hands.
xxbidiao
To accurately summing these ideas up, both high scrolling speed and low ones benefit you in one way or another.

With a high scroll speed, (usually) many people would find it comfortable, where the note is possible to be catched by eye and there are not too many notes causing confusion. BTW, this is also good for SV change practice since a few maps have SVx1.5 or higher in a short period of time.

With a low scroll speed, you can practice your ability to play at any SV change. When there are ~100 notes on one screen, it is necessary to practice a bit to sightread them correctly.

However, I recommend you just pick your speed which you are comfortable for you because you are not a pro player yet and what you should really focus on is to be familiar with different patterns and to conquer them, or to practice your physical ability (hand speed, coordination, etc).

Many people do their best at C1500~2500, which is speed 15~25 on BPM 100. You can try every speed and find the speed you love most, and aim for the best score you can get.
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old
i see, so i guess i'm gonna try understanding patterns first (slow scrolling speed) then use faster scrolling speed(the comfortable one for me) after getting better with patterns.
Maiz94

Tsugumi- wrote:

i see, so i guess i'm gonna try understanding patterns first (slow scrolling speed) then use faster scrolling speed(the comfortable one for me) after getting better with patterns.
That's right. You can start practicing either of one of these threads ;

7k BMS Charts
Known O2Jam conversion locations
[WIP] Mania Training Help
[WIP] osu!mania maps, sorted by difficulty
[WIP]PalaceofSound's Conversion & Top 5 Score
PyaKura
Avoid the BMS of the BMS's thread OP, they're really hard. IIRC there's a link to easier BMS songs at the top of page 2.
Xcrypt
Listen to Aqo ^_^
andromeda2020
Use random mode to be able to realize and press different note patterns
Bobbias
Random helps you learn some of the more unusual note patterns that you wouldn't usually. High speed makes it easier to get higher accuracy, and makes sightreading patterns easier because there's less on the screen to confuse you. Slow speeds will help you see the shape of patterns much easier, and makes SV changes much easier to handle, and can help you earn to rely on the music for timing, rather than watching the notes as much.

I honestly think that every time you decide to make a change to how you play (such as deciding to learn to play at slow speeds, or switching to high speeds instead), you have a much better chance of improving. Every time I've made a change to how I play, once I adjusted to the new style I kept improving until I was better than I was before.

When you find a speed that you feel comfortable at, there's a quick way to learn what speed you need to use depending on the bpm of the song. Take whatever your scroll speed is, and multiply it by the bpm. That number is your ideal speed. That's the number xxbidiao mentioned (C1500 to C2500).

For example, my ideal speed used to be scroll speed 17 at 150 bpm. That works out to C2550. At 140 bpm, I would adjust to speed 18. 140x18 = 2520, very close to 2550. A good rule of thumb is that for every 10 bpm faster or slower than the bpm you used to calculate your ideal speed, you adjust your scroll rate up or down 1 to compensate.

This breaks down when you start reaching uch higher or much lower bpms.
Marirose
practice+practice+practice。。you must deal wiz how to catch more rainbow 300,if you can do this,the way to 100,0000's gate is open(>_<) 8-)
Drace

andromeda2020 wrote:

Though random is pretty useful for preventing memorization and such, abusing it will make you under-skilled in patterns that don't usually show up in random. A big example would be the different kinds of stair-related patterns. Most people that always random completely hates these patterns. Most likely due to how they're barely exposed to them, and simply randoms every song that has em.
Aqo
I played random on a song with random notes once and it converted them into perfect stairs.

it was the most awkward gameplay experience
Hanyuu

Drace wrote:

andromeda2020 wrote:

Though random is pretty useful for preventing memorization and such, abusing it will make you under-skilled in patterns that don't usually show up in random. A big example would be the different kinds of stair-related patterns. Most people that always random completely hates these patterns. Most likely due to how they're barely exposed to them, and simply randoms every song that has em.
Use random mod to play more of the lesser used note patterns. Drace if you chose random to break up the note patterns you have problems with you are doing something wrong. Random is an unranked mod and it is nice to use it to get note patterns you are not good with yet. Using it to avoid patterns you have trouble with is a wrong usage of this mod Drace. If you have trouble with a certain note patern the best thing is to just play it more often and not avoiding it.
PyaKura

Hanyuu wrote:

Drace wrote:

Use random mod to play more of the lesser used note patterns. Drace if you chose random to break up the note patterns you have problems with you are doing something wrong. Random is an unranked mod and it is nice to use it to get note patterns you are not good with yet. Using it to avoid patterns you have trouble with is a wrong usage of this mod Drace. If you have trouble with a certain note patern the best thing is to just play it more often and not avoiding it.
I think you misunderstood him. He wans't talking about himself but people who use random to avoid some patterns. You both are saying the same thing haha.
Bobbias
Yeah, random is useful as a tool, but nobody should be playing with random on all the time unless they're already a god at the game.