forum

PC Problem, anyone able to find the problem?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mara
Hi, I have a problem with my PC and none of my friends are having any clue how to fix this. This seems like a very rare problem, so no wonder.

When I load something like CS:GO and L4D2 for example; right when it is about to start the map, monitor loses the connection to the PC and my fan goes nuts, therefore I need to shut PC down by force.

- All drivers are up to date.
- I ran a software called Memtest86+, but no errors were given.
- It doesn't seem to be a temperature issue either.
- Rig you see below was built in late 2009.

I know this isn't probly the best place to ask something like this, but I got nothing better place to ask.
thelewa
get a new GPU
stuffycatz
You should take out your graphic card and try running those games on the onboard intel graphic.
If it's able to load it means your graphic card is causing the problem.

Edit:Should've done some research your motherboard don't have any onboard graphic chip.my bad
Flanster

thelewa wrote:

get a new GPU
Topic Starter
Mara
I just ordered a new one, I hope you guys are right or else I will be sad forever.
thelewa
well it's probably your GPU that's going bonkers

if it's not, then you can just scratch one thing off from the list of things that might be borked
Marcin
Next one in the list, if GPU won't fix the problem may be PSU.
Topic Starter
Mara
Is there a way to test these two components?
Marcin
well... replacing them with another one? D:
Topic Starter
Mara
Yeah but it would be such a money waste if I put GPU in and it is not the solution to the problem. Then I need to buy a new PSU, even more money lost.
DaddyCoolVipper
Does it only happen with Source games?
Topic Starter
Mara
It has happened once with osu! and once with Euro Truck Simulator 2.
VoidnOwO
:)
Mianki

BRBP wrote:

Mara wrote:

Yeah but it would be such a money waste if I put GPU in and it is not the solution to the problem.
Break it and say it was already broken when you got it.
They'll probably send a new one, break that one too.
Tell them you're fed up with their terrible service and demand to get your money back.

#Finland
Best post

Topic Starter
Mara
Small update, I put all settings on low (including 800x600 res) on CS:GO and now I am able to play it without PC crashing.

...so uhh.... yeah.... GPU change time?
Dexus
I hope you get a GTX 650 ti boost at the very least.

Stick with the Nvidia GTX series 600 or 700. I've learned that AMD has horrid drivers and causes a lot of issues. Even with an AMD 7990 I was running everything poorly. I got a GTX 780 and now everything is perfect.
Oinari-sama

Mara wrote:

Small update, I put all settings on low (including 800x600 res) on CS:GO and now I am able to play it without PC crashing.

...so uhh.... yeah.... GPU change time?
I thought you already ordered a new card?

It's hard to tell whether it's your GPU or just the aging PSU fail to provide enough current at high load unless you have spare parts to test...