forum

Noisy switches (mech kb)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty
I'm planning to buy a mech, but my parents are always complaining about how much noise I make. That's why I want to ask which switches are the noisiest ones (to not buy them ofc XD)
iSpR1Te
All of them are noisy but the blue ones are the most noisy because of the extra clicky sound.
Soarezi
Theyre all noisy unless u get o rings
Topic Starter
Hello Skitty
Equally noisy? I heard blues are the noisiest, but between the rest are they all the same?
GoldenWolf
They're all noisy, even the less noisy mech are still noisy enough to be heard through doors and walls sometimes
AmaiHachimitsu
Blues are noisier because of tactile click, it powers-up the already loud noise.

Buy a linear switch keyboard (Red/Black) and supply yourself with o-ring dampeners for Cherry MX switches.

Zare
I removed the O-rings from my YX keys (qwertz kb) in order to get a better clicking feeling, since I kinda thought the O-rings add somewhat of a rubberdome-ish feeling, so I wouldn't recommend using them for osu. Then again I suppose that is my brain making things up and it doesn't really have an effect on clicking, but still :<
Rewben2
Blues are the loudest, they are tactile switches that have a click that is the actuation point (the actuation point is when the keystroke is registered). You don't have to "bottom out" (make the key hit the bottom) to have the keystroke register, but I'm pretty sure everyone does.

Brown switches are tactile as well, but quieter than blues. I would much rather have browns than blues because they are considerably quieter (speaking from personal experience).

Lastly there is red/blacks, which are linear switches that don't have a click for the actuation point. The only difference is reds require less force (every switch has an amount of force that you need to press down).

I'm not sold on the whole O-ring idea, the whole point of o-ring is too make your keyboard quieter, and it does, while changing the feel of the switch by making the bottom rubbery. I haven't used them personally though.
Choclodous
I have blue switches and my family can hear me at night with the door closed, they feel nice though.
Espionage724

skiter43 wrote:

Equally noisy? I heard blues are the noisiest, but between the rest are they all the same?
Buckling Springs are probably the loudest; but the only keyboard that I know of that uses them are older IBM Model M's, and Unicomp keyboards.