forum

[o!m] Quick Q&A and General o!m Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
PyaKura
When creating a new beatmap, go to the Song Setup tab, select mania as the game mode, go back to the tab where you select the AR, OD and stuff. There should be a setting named Colums, move the cursor till it reaches 7.
springbottom
omg wow how i miss that

k thanks!
Ceph23
Ok so I'm stuck in a slump right now.
I've gotten to a point where I can play mania maps where I don't miss any notes.
It just irritates me that I can't 100% anything beyond normal and it seems that I'm not improving. -_-
I've been in this state for about 3 months now. Any tips on how I can get to the next level?
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Force yourself to play maps that are too hard for you (on which you get between high C to 84 or 85% B). Play with RD or HR on maps you already know and get high A or S.
Xcrypt
I dont' think you should aim for 100% If you're an accuracy player aim for 95%+. Playing more, trying harder, and playing with HR all help imo.
And if you really feel like you hit a wall, it might be a good thing to change something about your playstyle (use mods, play different styles of maps, use different scrolling speeds, etc).
Bobbias
Changing your playstyle feels difficult at at first and often leads to lower scores for a little while, until you adjust, but after the adjustment period, it's common to see a quick jump in skill.

Playing stuff you B or C is a great way to begin to push your skill ceiling up. I like to think of it this way: Let's say you can get ~95% acc on a 3 star mania map, but can only C a 4 star map (these numbers are only to get my point across). If you push your skill cap to where you can maybe get a mid B on that 4 star map, you might find that now you can get ~95% on a 3.5 star map, and a slightly higher acc on the 3 star map.

Making that jump from ~95 to 100% is incredibly hard. (case in point, I still don't have any ranked SS's in mania)
milky228_old

Bobbias wrote:

Changing your playstyle feels difficult at at first and often leads to lower scores for a little while, until you adjust, but after the adjustment period, it's common to see a quick jump in skill.

Playing stuff you B or C is a great way to begin to push your skill ceiling up. I like to think of it this way: Let's say you can get ~95% acc on a 3 star mania map, but can only C a 4 star map (these numbers are only to get my point across). If you push your skill cap to where you can maybe get a mid B on that 4 star map, you might find that now you can get ~95% on a 3.5 star map, and a slightly higher acc on the 3 star map.

Making that jump from ~95 to 100% is incredibly hard. (case in point, I still don't have any ranked SS's in mania)
I actually found the opposite to this. As my read speeds increase i've noticed that I can't get SS ranks that I obtained months ago on easy maps.
Waisse
Hi,

When I play mania I'm litteraly hammering my keyboard (Revoltec Fightboard Advanced), is it a bad manner ?
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Waisse wrote:

Hi,

When I play mania I'm litteraly hammering my keyboard (Revoltec Fightboard Advanced), is it a bad manner ?
Do you mean that you're bottoming out (pressing the keys all the way down) ? Or are you randomly pressing the keys ?

Bottoming out is not really an issue, actually lots (most ?) players bottom out when playing since you can't really gauge your strenght when playing, especially on harder songs. I always bottom out.

If you're pressing all the keys randomly hoping that you get the notes right it's simply a matter of practice, you'll get used to it eventually. By the way, I see you're french, you might enjoy reading the translation I made from Drace's o!m guide in my signature (it's oriented towards 7K but most advices work for other K counts).
falkon13
I was comparing playthroughs on an osu!mania map and I noticed a discrepancy. On my first playthrough I got a higher score but on my second playthrough I had a higher accuracy, more 320's, more 300's, a longer combo and less misses then the first playthrough. Why did my first playthrough have a higher score? I
Xcrypt
o!m has a unique scoring system so it's hard to tell (with my understanding of the scoring system, my guess is that your bad hits were more spread out over the song on your lower score). But generally, this scoring system mainly considers the quality of your hits(300g,300, etc) and your combo matters also but not so much. Also keep in mind that the percentual accuracy (94%, for example) you see considers 300g with the same value as it considers 300. In other words whether you get 300g or 300 it won't matter for your percentual accuracy nor grade, only your score.

See http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Score for more info
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Bumping this thread and turning it into a general o!m thread as well. Just post whatever you want related to mania here.

So my map is apparently rankable as far as note placement/patterns go. Second hardest ranked beatmap incoming ?
(1/4 LN chordstreams were not too much welcome though, not really an issue tbh.)
milky228_old
Thanks for the bump, this thread is really useful.

Does anyone else play with there keycaps upside down? I tried it just now and beat a few of my high scores and it's quite comfortable to play on as well, although I get the strange feeling that it will destroy my switches for one reason or another.
Thing O Doom
As far as keycaps unless they fit ackwardly into your keyboard they wont hurt it, so whatever works, just make sure they are even and firmly in.

So I see a bunch of terms about types of maps from other games and I was wondering what is bms / ln and the differences between both?

All I know is from noodle thread ln is those maps and I hate those maps with a burning fury, but what does ln stand for? and what is bms
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Long Notes, also called holds. Lots of o2jam maps are LN heavy.

BMS usually refers to IIDX charts (maps) and they mostly contain simple notes and are chords heavy. Almost no LNs.
Jole
I've been wondering, what does VSRG stand for? I know it's the genre o!m fits into, but what does each letter mean?
DestinySonata

Jole wrote:

I've been wondering, what does VSRG stand for? I know it's the genre o!m fits into, but what does each letter mean?
yeah, i'd like to know about this as well. even searching at google didn't return me anything.
i always had a feeling it was something like "Virtual Simulation Rhythm Game" lol
xelivous
vertical scrolling rhythm game
Jole

xelivous wrote:

vertical scrolling rhythm game
Thanks!
Topic Starter
PyaKura
<----- new ava says it all.
Empress
I would in the xk.ini what does the "HitPosition" value and if this value have a big consequence on your playstyle.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Iirc there is a thread speaking of the mania .ini files in the skinning subforum...
Empress
Yup I found the thread, my bad (´ω`)
krimen
Should I play o! classic maps in mania mode? I have only a couple of them and I'm not sure they can help me to improve

EDIT: I don't understand the Weightage system, why my best performances are all 4k maps?
xelivous

krimen wrote:

Should I play o! classic maps in mania mode? I have only a couple of them and I'm not sure they can help me to improve

EDIT: I don't understand the Weightage system, why my best performances are all 4k maps?
stay away from autoconverts

4K maps are currently overrated at low levels, and underrated at high levels
Kamikaze

xelivous wrote:

krimen wrote:

stay away from autoconverts

4K maps are currently overrated at low levels, and underrated at high levels
Yeah, but Tom's working on it atm, so not for long
ArcherLove
general up owo
milky228_old
How do I know what my offset is? I played on a membrane keyboard a couple of weeks back as I left my Mech at home and was scoring a few more rainbow 300's than usual, it wasn't nothing major and I beat all the scores 3-4 days after but I can only put it down to offset times on my keyboard (CM Storm Quickfire TK red) Is there anyway I can find out automatically, as something so minor seems almost impossible to discover through trial and error?
Drace
There's a whole section on my guide that offers tricks to find a more specific offset. (Link in sig)

There's not really way to do stuff like this automatically since there's no way for a computer to tell whether or not it's inputs and outputs has a little lag. Since everything before the signal enters the environment and everything after it leaves it is all completely outside of the computer's control, it's all up to the peripherals. :/
Topic Starter
PyaKura
I say Shi-Ra should receive "o!m mad BAT machine" title.
Pinecone
Is there any way to change the animation of how the judgment appears? (300s, 200s...)
If not, will it be possible in the future?
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Not sure... you can try to skin the existing judgements but even so I believe osu!mania only supports 2 frames for them, so you can't get something really fancy.
Pinecone
I was thinking of making the judgment static so it doesnt bounce when i hit a note.
dsfjlasdkfj it's really distracting while playing.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Oh, I'm not sure if the game upscales the judgement images or if it uses two seperates images, but if it's the later all you have to do is setting the same image for both files in your skin folder.
ArcherLove
Try ask Osume65 or Inori

btw since nobody answer it on #osumania : for keysounding, is there any way to make default sample set volume 100% ?
ikzune
firstly, thank you to the australian o!m community who has helped me with a few things, there was a question earlier regarding turning keycaps upside down, i did that on my membrane keyboard but now i have a keyboard which i have to press a lot harder on >.< learning to play with it not changing the timing at all

now for my questions:
- my current setup for 8k is asdfhjkl, 2 pinkies yes and will most likely stay this way however im still at the finger independence stage for 8k since ive been playing 4k the whole time, how much trouble will it be for me to have 7keys based off my 8key setup and without using a middle button, its gonna take awhile to get used to anyway but this is something im curious in regards to

- there are some other rhythm games to learn 8key better or so ive heard, bms and others i think? any hints at where i can find these to practise 8key for lower levels?

- ive gotten used to the nightcore hd lite skin, is there any issue with this

- finally i have had a habit for a long time now, whenever i make a mistake that i consider the smallest bit stupid i will just restart or stop the map, when starting out with 8 key its as if im playing with the sudden death mod without even using it, i am trying to get out of this habit and although i have had some form of help is there any advice i can receive here?
Bobbias

laishiou wrote:

finally i have had a habit for a long time now, whenever i make a mistake that i consider the smallest bit stupid i will just restart or stop the map, when starting out with 8 key its as if im playing with the sudden death mod without even using it, i am trying to get out of this habit and although i have had some form of help is there any advice i can receive here?
When you feel like you're about to quit, just don't. Keep playing.
WDoo
If I switch from 4k to 7k is it normal for it to feel like being totally new again? I'm not good at 4k but I guess at least mediocre, whereas I have trouble even with easy difficulties on 7k.
onehundred1

WDoo wrote:

If I switch from 4k to 7k is it normal for it to feel like being totally new again?
Of course it's normal. You have more keys to press especially that annoying middle key that you've never experienced before.
Bobbias

WDoo wrote:

If I switch from 4k to 7k is it normal for it to feel like being totally new again? I'm not good at 4k but I guess at least mediocre, whereas I have trouble even with easy difficulties on 7k.

Don't worry, it takes some time for your brain to re-learn how to hit the right key automatically, but once you get that down again, you should see a quick jump in skill.
show more