forum

[o!m] Quick Q&A and General o!m Discussion Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Xcrypt
It's actually quite simple I think: the more effort you do the faster you will improve.

The most important thing beside this is to ask yourself 'what am I training on?'
If you want to train on something specific, it might take some time to figure out the best way to do this.
And what you are training on is also largely a matter of preference.

I made a practice map for myself that I can score 97% on by now, yet it's still far out of my comfort zone. I have to focus so much that my brain hurts after one 2 minute playthrough, and I need to take a short break afterwards because I'm not able to focus anymore if I don't. And it's not even accuracy training, it's pure chord training.
I think this is because the speed at which the chords are coming in succession is just outside my comfort zone. If I try hard to focus, I can hit a chord. If I don't try hard enough I will miss. The entire chart is really uniformly distributed in difficulty, which led me to this next realisation.
One 'problem' which especially occurs with the o2jam mappool, is that often songs will have sections that are in your comfort zone, and sections that are too far beyond. That's why you kinda have to push the difficulities on those I think. (meaning that the largest part of the song will be somewhat outside your comfort zone, and in the difficult sections you can focus on semi-spam survival(semi-spam because I'm not implying a mindless spam))
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Yes that‘s it basically, "semi spamming " is alright, I do this a lot. What I meant is if you just keep spamming during the whole chart it‘s just terribly out of your comfort zone.And there is no point in training with those for me, it only leads to frustration and fun is lost in the process. There are many maps like Gigantic O.T.N. (L i a's mania) or Phantasmagoria at the highest diff with patterns I can read, but I don't have the skill to play them completely, leading me to get poor acc on them (around 84%). Same Akasha, but the problem is something else, as the patterns are really simple but I lack the speed to hit them.
Isopach
it's easy to notice that you don't know what you're hitting -- if you're getting below 80% accuracy. I can read the hard charts, just that my fingers aren't nimble enough to press them in time. Still, those 3 that I linked are just 'hard' to me at the moment; not at the 'unplayable' level yet. I too, have some song charts I know I cannot pass (at the moment) and won't even attempt coz I can't read it right from the start.

I find it an achievement to pass/break a record on a song chart record that I made a week or two ago -- it shows that I have improved. So while my accuracy might be bad for those songs, as long as I have improved, I'll be satisfied. Thus I tend not to play any song that I have gotten 98+% on it coz it's very unlikely I'll be able to perform at such a standard again ;_;
akebono
So much words .... *fainted*
Xcrypt
Got a 'quick question':
My left hand finger tapping speed is a lot faster than my left wrist tapping speed.
I have been considering training my left wrist because I've read somewhere in a stepmania forum once that wrist has a lot more potential in speed than fingers,
which can be useful for jacks. Is it worth training my left wrist in order to better do left handed jacks, even though currently my finger speed is faster?
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Got any maps good for LN training ? I know I have 3 or 4 but it's not enough (Bobbias' map, LN pratice mapset, but I can only play 2 of the maps included :o)
Tear
Xcrypt
o2jam lvl25-35:
dream wedding
exodus
tears
some ragnarok online ones
one from final fantasy
weep irish
oriental gothic night
SHD out of control
astral (end of song)
SHD electro fantasy (end of song)
earthquake
end of fight
one from avril lavigne
TCP-something from kuliner
anisakis
gargoyle SHD
that's all off the top of my head

oh... explosive series are really nice aswell, but the inverse notes are often a bit too fast for me still.
milky228_old
Ok, i'll admit now that i'm irritatingly competitive in everything i do. I stopped playing mania for just over a month around december time and have spent the last two weeks trying to work my way back up to where i was in skill level (I was falling short of scores I had set in august) I've finally started to beat my old scores but my rank is still dropping, can anyone tell me why this is?
Taadashi

milky228 wrote:

Ok, i'll admit now that i'm irritatingly competitive in everything i do. I stopped playing mania for just over a month around december time and have spent the last two weeks trying to work my way back up to where i was in skill level (I was falling short of scores I had set in august) I've finally started to beat my old scores but my rank is still dropping, can anyone tell me why this is?
To get a high rank you must play songs that has a high playcount and rank well on them. Improving score is one way of increasing rank but if it's just a matter of 10 placement ranks the difference won't be that big.
Xcrypt
You shouldn't worry about rank, even if you're competitive. (maybe especially if you are competitive)
In osu! it holds SOME meaning, in osu!mania next to none.
Taadashi

Xcrypt wrote:

You shouldn't worry about rank, even if you're competitive. (maybe especially if you are competitive)
In osu! it holds SOME meaning, in osu!mania next to none.
And this is ofc also true. Considered most of them ETs seems to never play any auto converts.
Envisionise
Rank is broken in o!m, caring about it is a waste of time. The o!m specific map leaderboards (for the harder diffs) are much more accurate for ranks, but your account rank doesn't matter. The easier maps get you more account rank than the harder ones, which is stupid. Just finished the hardest ranked map? Good job. You get no rank because no-one else has finished it, so you only beat like, 20 people. No rank. Play an easy map, get 99%? Bam, rank pushed up >.>
Drace
Rank also becomes a race for who can play the most songs. There's like 30k autoconverts, there's a butt load more autos than active players.... even if the the ranking system used perfect mechanics it'd still be broken due to those frikin retarded autos. Honestly, those autos are the single biggest reason why mania won't overcome its competitors.

But that's all fine, I mean, mania's a side mode right? Its not like it deserves to be that good anyways (sarcasm)
Xcrypt
I still think it's cool that autos are implemented though. It's nice for newer players, they just shouldn't count them as ranked that's all. (Or a better alternative would be to get a good ranking system... I think they're working on a better ranking system for osu! but dunno about mania)
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Xcrypt wrote:

they just shouldn't count them as ranked that's all
This.

But it's not going to happen lel.

Anyways, that's off-topic.
Taadashi

Drace wrote:

Rank also becomes a race for who can play the most songs. There's like 30k autoconverts, there's a butt load more autos than active players.... even if the the ranking system used perfect mechanics it'd still be broken due to those frikin retarded autos. Honestly, those autos are the single biggest reason why mania won't overcome its competitors.

But that's all fine, I mean, mania's a side mode right? Its not like it deserves to be that good anyways (sarcasm)
I think you managed to write down how I feel about this in a nutshell lol. :P
Ceph23
Let's get back to some Q & A shall we? :D

Do you guys use mechanical key board. I know in standard, going mech is generaly a good idea. But I tried playing mania on a blue switch yesterday and I sucked more than usuall.

So yeah. Who here uses a mech keyboard and did you improve when you got used to it?
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Bought a 7G not long ago to replace my laptop keyboard. Black switches require lots of stamina and I need some more time to get used to it. I can tell I've been able to score better on hard maps but that's mainly because my laptop's keyboard really sucked. There is no downside (apart from the 6KRO through USB) from my point of view.
Tear
I have black switches too (6Gv2) and when I'm tired the keys feel kinda "mushy" and I can't play well because I'm not releasing them fast enough. Is that less of an issue with other switches? I hate seeing myself do better on a laptop keyboard than this sometimes .-.
Xcrypt
I have reds, but it felt different than my laptop keyboard so it just takes some time to get used to.
The biggest advantages imo are
1) It's healthier for your fingers than a rubber dome keyboard
2) I have a habit of pressing keys hard. I played lvl 25-30 songs for two weeks and I had to buy a new rubber dome keyboard. I went through 3 rubber dome keyboards like this... A mech keyboard should last you at least 6 months, even if you play all day and mash the keys like your life depends on it.

As far as actual performance goes, I wouldn't say that I play better on this keyboard than on my rubber domes, it's about the same for me.
Xcrypt
Not really related to o!m but here I go anyway:

Recently I've bought a dancemat and been playing some stepmania with it and having fun. But are there some more other dance games out there too? What are some of the most 'hardcore' dance games?
Taadashi

Xcrypt wrote:

Not really related to o!m but here I go anyway:

Recently I've bought a dancemat and been playing some stepmania with it and having fun. But are there some more other dance games out there too? What are some of the most 'hardcore' dance games?
Well I guess there's ITG (In the Groove). And also PIU (Pump it Up). PIU uses a middle steppanel as well though, so I guess you'd need a mat that supports it. :)

I'm sure there are more games as well. :P
Xcrypt
Obviously I still suck at dancing but all the songs I see on youtube look rather easy when viewed from someone who is used to o2jam type of charts. I feel like having only two feet is limiting the skill cap of these games because in the end it will only be about improving tapping speed. I'm probably wrong but this is how I feel =/ Anyways, I'll stop complaining/making assumptions and just have some fun with it. Still plenty of fun and challenge for me in stepmania ^^ But not any more today, my feet are burning because I've been playing it 4 hours straight lol.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
For those of you who play with a mech kb : do you always bottom out the keys do you press them just enough to register the key ?
Xcrypt
I pretty much smash my keys so yeah.
Bobbias
I found PIU easier to get used to than DDR, once I got used to reading the directions properly. The layout felt more natural than DDRs.

Xcrypt this is old as balls now but it's stil a good example of how hardcore you can get at DDR. This chart is meant to be played on a keybord: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7Hb1Kt9Ko

And yes, that's 40k combo. He's playing on a mode where your combo doesn't reset at the start of a new song, only when you actually break combo.

As for the keys thing, I'd be using a much lighter touch if I wasn't on a really shitty laptop keyboard that requires bottoming out hard.
Drace
Since the keys activate halfway on mechs there's no reason too. Bottoming out will just be an inaccurate waste of energy and speed. However, since I like bottoming out when I play, I modified my play keys to activate on the bottom and shortened their travel distance to overcome this.
Xcrypt

Drace wrote:

I modified my play keys to activate on the bottom and shortened their travel distance to overcome this.
How?

I set universal offset time to a positive value because the actuation moment happens before you hear the sound of the keypress, but shortening travel time seems really interesting to me.

Also, I don't think bottoming out is a bad thing because this way you get some kind of a recoil (restitution), so in theory it could actually help you tapping faster.
Not sure if this is actually the case in practice though, but I've never seen anyone not bottoming out on jacks.
EDIT: just tested. I get 400 bpm on single key wrist jacks not bottoming out, and 520 when bottoming out (100 hits). http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Drace wrote:

Since the keys activate halfway on mechs there's no reason too. Bottoming out will just be an inaccurate waste of energy and speed. However, since I like bottoming out when I play, I modified my play keys to activate on the bottom and shortened their travel distance to overcome this.
Shortening the travel distance sounds tempting. How did you manage to do that ?

Edit : I get 650 BPM by bottoming out, a mere 350 when trying to press just enough to register the key...
Isopach

PyaKura wrote:

Drace wrote:

Shortening the travel distance sounds tempting. How did you manage to do that ?

Edit : I get 650 BPM by bottoming out, a mere 350 when trying to press just enough to register the key...
When you're used to your keyboard switches you'll know the point where it registers. Like I can use brown switch (for MOBA games), but not blue switch coz I may press too lightly and definitely not black switches coz they require too much strength
CaptainAhab_old
Are there any recommended keyboards for o!mania that are no more than roughly $40? Or, in the long run, would it better to pick up a good mechanical keyboard? If so, which one?
andromeda2020

CaptainAhab wrote:

Are there any recommended keyboards for o!mania that are no more than roughly $40? Or, in the long run, would it better to pick up a good mechanical keyboard? If so, which one?
a4tech krs-85 very good keyboard(for me). yes i'm poor can't even buy a mech keyboard... :(
Taadashi
So I just watched kiokumis play of stellar blue on youtube and stumbled across the term anmitu in the comments. What does it mean? :P
Xcrypt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anmitsu
I think this maybe? Idk. It looks rather odd. It's like the intestines of some jellyunicornfish
Isopach
http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%81%82%E3% ... F%E3%81%A4
It's a term used in rhythm games when the player skilfully mashes buttons together in order not to break combo / not to fail
Like if there's a scaling that goes 'sdf<space>jkl' very quickly, the player can hit 'sdf<space>' and 'jkl' instead of hitting it properly, note-by-note

/offtopic school is too tough to play nowadays
Taadashi

Isopach wrote:

http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/%E3%81%82%E3%82%93%E3%81%BF%E3%81%A4
It's a term used in rhythm games when the player skilfully mashes buttons together in order not to break combo / not to fail
Like if there's a scaling that goes 'sdf<space>jkl' very quickly, the player can hit 'sdf<space>' and 'jkl' instead of hitting it properly, note-by-note

/offtopic school is too tough to play nowadays
Ah ty. :)

/offtopic Yeah for me too. It's a living hell, haha. :P
Xcrypt
Well, I was close.
springbottom
-noob q

how do i make a 7k beatmap?
whenever i try it always seem stuck on 5k
basically how do i change how many columns there are?

ty
Topic Starter
PyaKura
When creating a new beatmap, go to the Song Setup tab, select mania as the game mode, go back to the tab where you select the AR, OD and stuff. There should be a setting named Colums, move the cursor till it reaches 7.
show more