forum

Mechanical keyboard or not?

posted
Total Posts
show more
TakuMii
I think it's personal preference, really. You'll just get responses for every type of switch, but keep in mind that players at the top aren't there because of their switch choice (there are players at the top with all of the common switches). Personally, I prefer Browns.

And to answer your question: You can see from the .gifs that MX Blues, MX Clears, and MX Browns all have a bump you can feel at the actuation point (which is halfway down, unlike standard rubber dome/scissor switches, which actuate at the bottom). Reds have no tactile feedback and just smoothly go down to the bottom, making you unable to actually feel the actuation point (and makes you more likely to simply just push the key all the way down to the bottom).
You can see that Blues have a 2-part mechanism, and this allows the bump to be somewhat stiffer (and also causes an audible click). But this also causes the bump to move after the switch actuates, which could potentially cause inconsistencies when lifting off the key.
Icyteru
Be hipster. Be clear.
Choclodous
I use blues, they feel nice but they are loud as hell and it bothers people near me.
Topic Starter
Jafem
hmmm. But what is the difference between red and brown?
Almost

Peekii wrote:

Reds are lighter and don't have the tactile bump.
Topic Starter
Jafem

Almost wrote:

Peekii wrote:

Reds are lighter and don't have the tactile bump.
Ah i will probably go for red or brown... but now the real question. What keyboard... I have heard many people use the black widdow.
Tekklorn
The switches I'd say you should try them out before you buy to make sure you're making the right choice. As for keyboard, if you want a full size keyboard then go for the Corsair K90, Razer Blackwidow (only blue and brown switches though keep in mind) or a ducky keyboard (my favourite out the three). If you want something compact then I'd recommend the CoolerMaster Quick Fire TK because it's the one I'm using atm and it's amazing :)
Roricon
I would recommend the steelseries 6gv2, good quality and pretty cheap compared to some other mechanical keyboards. Mine has black switches but they are also available with reds.
Topic Starter
Jafem
Yeah i am not trying to buy anything fancy. Just a simple keyboard
bn3o
GoldenWolf
Don't buy a blackwidow ever, it's the worst mech keyboard on earth

... I broke 10 keys in less than a year.
Yarissa

GoldenWolf wrote:

osu! tends to do that with nearly every keyboard
uzzi

GoldenWolf wrote:

I feel like the tactile feedback on the keys I use to play are...gone. Feels much smoother though.
Espionage724
Buckling Springs are the best switches :p

I have a blue switch keyboard; I sometimes feel that my accuracy isn't "as" great on it at times; probably just me though (I register the key when it bottoms out; when in reality it registers before that point).

I'll need to try out a rubber dome keyboard again just to see if I'm any better. May even break out the IBM Model M I have :p
GoldenWolf

Kaoru wrote:

much faster with the blackwidow, not worth your money
Roricon
Ye imo razer blackwidow doesnt stand for quality.
Yarissa

GoldenWolf wrote:

Kaoru wrote:

much faster with the blackwidow, not worth your money
I had a black widow for a good year and a half; it didn't break that fast on me. I replaced it with red switches because of preference. Red switches are even more fragile though
Topic Starter
Jafem
What is the most price efficient keyboard?
iSpR1Te

Peekii wrote:

Probably Cooler Master for mechanical keyboards.
Espionage724

Peekii wrote:

Would probably depend on what you're looking for.

IBM Model M's go for possibly around $40-$50, and has an interesting switch type. A cheap but decent rubber dome keyboard goes for $30-$40; more basic ones being even less.

$70 would get you a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (cherry blue switches), which is the cheapest mechanical keyboard I can think of. It also has the advantage (or disadvantage) of not having the 10-key area, and it has a very small profile area. Great for space-saving, bad if you need the 10-key pad. I have this keyboard and find it pretty awesome; pretty sure there's other switch variants too.
Please
if you're going with something fancy, go for Quickfire TK reds but you stated that you wanted simple keyboard, so..... go for steelseries 6gv2 reds. I personally had TK and button A died on me. :c (nothing to be worried about) so I had to change to 6gv2. it's an awesome keyboard but do keep in mind that the 6gv2 doesn't have a left windows key, only the right one is functioning
Xho
I bought a ducky keyboard a few months back and I'm still very happy about it.
You probably want to get linear switches (reds/blacks) for osu!, but keyboards with tactile feedback (browns/blues) seem to be better for typing (I didn't try those out though so I don't really know for sure).
Reds are lighter than blacks, so you might have more streaming/single tapping stamina with those.
There are still players that prefer other switches over reds though, so it's best for you to find out yourself by trying them out (maybe you got friends with different kind of switches).

Also; use the search bar next time.
kleps
Reds are the best switches for osu! without a doubt, in either case you should get mechanical keyboard since any color switches are far superior than rubber-dome.
jesse1412

Ikki wrote:

Reds are the best switches for osu! without a doubt, in either case you should get mechanical keyboard since any color switches are far superior than rubber-dome.
Thank you, switch master ikki. You have enlightened us with your objective answer to a subjective question.
PUG_old_1
i've tried browns (i use browns and fine them most comfortable), blues, reds and blacks. I think whatever you feel comfortable with is fine, any are an improvement to rubber domes.
Topic Starter
Jafem
I tried brown and red switches. My friend had 2 keyboards. brown switches felt awesome
buny

jesus1412 wrote:

Ikki wrote:

Thank you, switch master ikki. You have enlightened us with your objective answer to a subjective question.
clearly you can only stream YOLO420swagxx with red switches only.
Rewben2
Clears are out of the question.

Reds are a lighter black, so I'd take reds>blacks

I'd take browns>blues because browns are quieter. What you get is up to, I've heard many people that have tried multiple switches preferring reds though.