forum

Why are there so many anime songs on osu?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
xxdeathx
It's something I noticed for a while. Of all the ranked beatmaps in Osu, anime theme songs are the most common, popular, competitive, and highest quality beatmaps. Almost every anime's theme songs will have at least 1 (and usually more) version of a beatmap that's ranked.

Compare that with pop songs, which are overwhelmingly more widespread in America: I couldn't find a single song from 2012-2013 by Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, or One Direction, 3 of the most popular artists. The only beatmaps of their songs are mostly from around 2009, even though their recent songs are equally big hits. I noticed that new animes on the other hand will have opening and ending theme songs ranked in weeks.

Back to the main question: is there any specific reason for the much higher presence of anime songs? Is it because a lot of players are from Asia where anime is a bigger thing than in America? Do Asians tend to be skilled at these kind of fast reaction mechanical skill games?
[ Diamond ]
hmm, i don't really know? i have noticed that aswell o/
>< most of the osu! players are anime-lovers so maybe thats why? eh, i don't mind the anime songs at all, i like them alot! owo
Topic Starter
xxdeathx

[ Diamond ] wrote:

hmm, i don't really know? i have noticed that aswell o/
>< most of the osu! players are anime-lovers so maybe thats why? eh, i don't mind the anime songs at all, i like them alot! owo
But why would osu players be anime lovers? For what reason would this correlation exist? Because they're asian? like me (who also likes anime)?

when i started osu i only downloaded pop songs and was so disappointed by the lack of ranked beatmaps that i got a lot of unranked ones. but i started watching a lot of anime in the last few months so now my songs are mostly those animes' theme songs.
Lust
Because that is what people want to map these days...
TV sizes are quick and easy to map and mod, so no wonder why there are so many of them.

Most "pop" songs can be difficult to time and map with suitable rhythms.

And everyone on osu! are weebs who enjoy TV sizes anyways
Just kidding
mathexpert
Observe the following points:
1. Anime is popular and in many large countries around the world
2. The demographic for osu! players probably consists of 10-25 year olds
3. This demographic is mostly consists of people who use the internet often
4. Anime/Japanese culture is rampant on the internet
5. Therefore, in many instances people in this demographic become interested in anime
6. lastly, the osu! game itself is closely connected to japanese culture (eg pippi is a anime-style loli, there is japanese in-game in the form of hitsounds, etc)

that's my theory, anyways.

xxdeathx wrote:

Do Asians tend to be skilled at these kind of fast reaction mechanical skill games?

xxdeathx wrote:

Because they're asian? like me (who also likes anime)?
lol I like how you even considered these absurd notions to be an option
racism levels = lim┬(x→∞)⁡〖e^x 〗

quick refutation for you:

Top 25 countries that play osu: 9 are in Asia.
Weed
I can feel the racism.
Jarby

Lust wrote:

Most "pop" songs can be difficult to time and map with suitable rhythms.
You wrote pop in quotes but I honestly have no idea what else you could be referring to, so I'll take it literally:

Not in the slightest. Pop music (outside of and also within J-Pop) tends to rely on simple rhythmic phrases, particularly in the vocals because having an easy to sing melody makes it more accessible which is very much the point of a lot of pop. Beatmaps also tend to focus on the rhythm of the melody, but really, there's not usually anything super complex going on rhythmically anyway, though it should be said that simple rhythms can be made into very difficult maps in osu!. Static BPMs are the norm now, partly because click tracks make recording a hell of a lot easier and also because any significant tempo changes can make a song unpredictable and difficult for people to dance to who are unfamiliar with it.

mathexpert wrote:

Top 25 countries that play osu: 9 are in Asia.
Even if there were a considerable amount of Asian countries or players at the top relative to other playerbase sizes, that would only imply that there are less casual (for lack of a better word) Asian osu! players. Casual racism, even within positive stereotypes, isn't cute or funny, guys!
UnderminE
Just say a huge amount of mappers are lazy to map 3 mins-English songs + same goes for modders as well
IppE
osu! is full of weeaboos so its not really unsurprising seeing anime openings being the most popular source for songs being mapped.
kouzuki_karen

IppE wrote:

osu! is full of weeaboos so its not really unsurprising seeing anime openings being the most popular source for songs being mapped.
Vmx
I thought osu! is an anime game
Topic Starter
xxdeathx

Vmx wrote:

I thought osu! is an anime game
the gameplay itself has nothing to do with anime, it just so happens that a lot of songs are
Exw

IppE wrote:

Yep, kinda agree with this one. Avatars with anime picture everywhere on this website.

Including me, lol.
mathexpert
ppl saying that osu! has a lot of anime songs b/c its community is full of weeaboos aren't directly explaining the question, js

you need to go one step further and say why the community is the way it is (eg full of weebs ) in the first case before you can argue with the above point.
boat
because they want senpai to notice
Ruhe
Start a debate. Lol
Faust

boat wrote:

because they want senpai to notice
But yeah.

I think the point has already been driven by previous posts, notably the ones where it says that the community comprises a shitload of people who find japanese pop culture their thing for mapping.
RemmyX25
Less of a douchey answer for you -- simply because anime openings are fun, poppy songs. These are the basic elements for any song in any rhythm game. Sure, you can make do with less poppy-ness, like more traditional music, but these are harder to come by.
dNextGen
because we are all weaboo

OP included
kouzuki_karen
osu! is weeabooland and furryland, keep that in mind when playing or taking part in the community
ChuTwo_old
isn't "osu" a japanese word
or am I just
returded
Vish024
osu! was designed with the "weaboo" community in mind, I'm sure it was marketed and intended for this particular group. It was originally based on games created by Japanese developers and features several Japanese culture references in game. It's only natural that many in the so-called Otaku community would take an interest in osu! and that many, if not most, of the music that is featured in the game is from anime and whatnot.
thelewa
obscure rhythm game

lots of asian players

lots of animoo
kouzuki_karen

thelewa wrote:

obscure rhythm game

lots of asian players

lots of animoo
AmaiHachimitsu
You are made to listen 'murican pop on a daily basis. I don't know any radio that would pick Beatmania tunes/anime songs (outside Japan). So that's why not many people want to map this, they just become bored with songs when they have to listen to it everyday. let alone mapping them lol.

What is needed to know is that American Pop is either hard to map or just rhythmically boring. There is this one map on JB's song. It's just boring to play and even val,RLC and cryo collab wouldn't make a good map out of this. Or more like, it would be a good map, but still boring.

It's also ok to consider Japanese music being a bit "special". J-Pop stands for something more than just "pop from Japan". You can clearly see the structure of songs is different in J-Pop and the melody/instruments play a role that is more important than lyrics and MVs. Just listen to instrumentals without lyrics and you will probably always differentiate Westerne and Eastern Pop. I listened to japanese music long before I tried on anime and I still loved it whereas I don't like most of U.S. po(o)p. Can't explain it really. I'm a fan of melody not deep lyrics or artificial stars like it happens in U.S. sometimes and ends up with a boring tune.

And now more historical reasons - This game was not made for J-music (though the title could have point at it) in particular, but it happened that prominent members and mappers liked both Touhou and anime so they mapped and ranked such kind of maps. And later weeaboos came here as to one of those places created specially for them. And now you see the results.

isn't "osu" a japanese word
or am I just
returded
Yeah, means to "push" or "press", e.g. the button, the circle in this case.

osu! was designed with the "weaboo" community in mind, I'm sure it was marketed and intended for this particular group. It was originally based on games created by Japanese developers and features several Japanese culture references in game. It's only natural that many in the so-called Otaku community would take an interest in osu! and that many, if not most, of the music that is featured in the game is from anime and whatnot.
Though it's based on Tatake! Ouendan it wasn't designed for weaboos from what I know. Peppy was/is a kind of weeaboo but as you might notice by browsing old maps, the ratio was more or less equal.
show more