forum

Auto Loudness Management System

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +26
show more
peppy
No need to retime if it is just an offset change. Plus, you can just replace the mp3 itself assuming the source is the same (with minor adjustments).
anonymous_old
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
LuigiHann
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Hanyuu
Oh no please no. some sound i like to hear ULTRA loud... so loud you can evern hear it when i play +headphones and you are in the next room. please dont make this
anonymous_old

Hanyuu wrote:

Oh no please no. some sound i like to hear ULTRA loud... so loud you can evern hear it when i play +headphones and you are in the next room. please dont make this
Use this thing called "volume control."

This is basically like saving the volume adjustment you make locally for the map.

Right?
Ekaru

Hanyuu wrote:

This is really bad for your ears.

We do not want to encourage damaging your ears as you are currently doing, sorry.
Hanyuu

strager wrote:

Hanyuu wrote:

This is basically like saving the volume adjustment you make locally for the map.

Right?
how

This is really bad for your ears.

We do not want to encourage damaging your ears as you are currently doing, sorry.
lol
anonymous_old

Hanyuu wrote:

strager wrote:

Right?
how
"This thing" refers to "the requested feature."
My1_old
I want that osu uses a normalization feature, so we dont have to change the volume of our speakers/headphones.
for example when you listen to a quiet song you'll turn louder and when the osu!player as random as it is selects a loud song next, then RIP for heaphones and the ears of the people using them...
so please add a feature that the volume @ all songs is similar...
please DO THAT
even the whole world agrees
Backstabber
I like my silent songs silent, and my loud songs loud. If all songs har generic flat volume level it would not sound as good.
My1_old
then what about that we can toogle this off when we want it, so everyone is happy
Backstabber
Kinda hard to do as well. Do you want it to take the average desibel of a song and tune it too a standard sound? If a map gets boosted by let's say 20 db. It's a silent song, but it has one really intense part. The silent part would be boosted to "a regular" level. But the intense part would be boosted as well, and then you are back where you started. If you want the individual parts of the song to be boosted, let's say the entire song should be 60db no exception. It would distort it so bad it would be a pain to listen to.
My1_old
but there HAS TO be an ability to do that good...
Espionage724
Nor sure if it was mentioned or not but, what about the OS's/driver's auto-volumizer option? My ASUS Xonar CP has "Smart Volume Control", and Realtek's CP has a Loudness Equalizer option. Also in the Enhancements section on most audio cards on Windows Vista/7 have a volume equalizer option too.
My1_old
BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS VISTA OR 7!
think about people with XP too, e.g. like me
My1_old

Espionage724 wrote:

Nor sure if it was mentioned or not but, what about the OS's/driver's auto-volumizer option? My ASUS Xonar CP has "Smart Volume Control", and Realtek's CP has a Loudness Equalizer option. Also in the Enhancements section on most audio cards on Windows Vista/7 have a volume equalizer option too.

Backstabber wrote:

Kinda hard to do as well. Do you want it to take the average desibel of a song and tune it too a standard sound? If a map gets boosted by let's say 20 db. It's a silent song, but it has one really intense part. The silent part would be boosted to "a regular" level. But the intense part would be boosted as well, and then you are back where you started. If you want the individual parts of the song to be boosted, let's say the entire song should be 60db no exception. It would distort it so bad it would be a pain to listen to.
but really not everyone hast Windows Vista or 7 or such a very pro sound card, so it would be nicer that you can toogle it within osu and adding a setiing for the differences of the volume.
My1_old
^ wouldnt that be a good idea???
Kitsunemimi

Backstabber wrote:

The first few posts of this thread mention that it's not levelling within a song, it's levelling for entire songs, to ensure that each song isn't too loud or too quiet. They'll still have loud and soft sections, but the overall song itself won't be overly loud or soft.

Also, this idea in general is a pretty nice idea, though by now, every map has a minimum quality; many modders and BATs are more than capable of pointing out and offering replacement mp3s when songs don't sound quite right during the modding process. This idea would probably mostly be a wasted effort, especially since we barely see songs that use online offsets anymore anyways, so I don't think we need this now.
TheVileOne
BUMPing this back up
Full Tablet
I don't agree with this feature.

If a song is supposed to be quiet, then it should sound quiet (for example https://osu.ppy.sh/s/91306).
Also there is the issue that increasing loudness this way can distort audio quality (unless done in a way so the whole song is boosted by a fixed amount of decibels so the peak volume is 0db, but that way some songs would still sound quiet).
My1_old
but while scrolling though a list and coming upon a loud song "blasts" off your ears. I also had that. why not with an enable/disable option and/or finer tweaking
Kurohayabusa
I will bump this post in my quest to make this a thing.

Full Tablet wrote:

I don't agree with this feature.

If a song is supposed to be quiet, then it should sound quiet (for example https://osu.ppy.sh/s/91306).
Also there is the issue that increasing loudness this way can distort audio quality (unless done in a way so the whole song is boosted by a fixed amount of decibels so the peak volume is 0db, but that way some songs would still sound quiet).
Ever heard of something called the Loudness War? In more recent years, tracks have been mastered to be louder than they used to (often causing audio distortion). That means even if you got your hands on proper CD rips, some are liable to sound much louder than others. For example, https://osu.ppy.sh/s/177155 is much louder than most other songs. That's where replay gain comes in. http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Replaygain

Also remember that for a good majority of tracks, the mp3s are ripped from low quality sources (such as youtube, niconico), so their peak levels are often not correct and so sound much quieter or louder than they're supposed to be. If all the mp3s were ripped from proper sources then it wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem...

And even if that turns out to be a terrible idea, could there at least be a per-map volume (just like how there's a per-map offset)? Maybe you like a particular song blasting out loud, and another song of similar volume to be quieter?