forum

Wrist vs. Arm

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Keeby
I found out the other day that my friend only uses his arm when using the mouse. It may be because he plays on the ground, but as for me, I usually press my wrist down on a table and only use my wrist for osu (or mostly wrist). It seemed rather strange to me, but there are two ways of using the mouse. There may be a difference because when I play, I may somehow move the mouse into a terrible position and it will screw me over until I reposition. This doesn't happen to my friend, but his mouse occasionally falls out of his hand.

I'm just curious, but for us mouse players, do you mostly use your arm to move the mouse, or wrist?
Roricon
wrist
Never tried using my arm :o
Kanye West
Mostly wrist but I move my arm for long/fast jumps.
Xcrypt
related (not duplicate): p/2707223

These are the main ways to control the mouse:
- arm entirely (very low dpi)
- wrist + arm for vertical movement (lower dpi)
- wrist + fingers for vertical movement (higher dpi)
- fingers entirely (very high dpi)

You can't really use wrist entirely because it can't move vertically well.

Supposedly, wrist has the best accuracy, and lower dpi works best for most people once they are accustomed to it. I am still experimenting with it.
sunumi

Xcrypt wrote:

related (not duplicate): https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/2707223

These are the main ways to control the mouse:
- arm entirely (very low dpi)
- wrist + arm for vertical movement (lower dpi)
- wrist + fingers for vertical movement (higher dpi)
- fingers entirely (very high dpi)

You can't really use wrist entirely because it can't move vertically well.

Supposedly, wrist has the best accuracy, and lower dpi works best for most people once they are accustomed to it. I am still experimenting with it.
I have played osu with 200 dpi, 1 ingame, and 6/11 in windows, before. After getting accustomed, it wasn't very hard at all, and spinners were pretty easy too. I would recommend a lower dpi since it seems to be more accurate, and there is really no difference in speed between 200 dpi and 3600 dpi, since you can just move your hand really fast lol
RaneFire

irclyna wrote:

and there is really no difference in speed between 200 dpi and 3600 dpi, since you can just move your hand really fast lol
Ye pretty much. Of course weak hands + heavy mouse doesn't help, so that's the only time you want something high.

Personally I use wrist for most of my movements. Arm features on large vertical jumps.
Vuelo Eluko
both
1200 dpi 6/11 1280x1024
nyrox
I played mouse on osu for a very short period of time but I used my arm on 400 dpi default windows 1 ingame. On Counter Strike Source I used same settings and it took my whole 17.7 inch mousepad to do a ~270 degree turn.
dung eater
Wrist/fingers, but i wiggle/shake my whole arm when i spin. 2000 dpi, 6win 1osu, 1368*768
Jole
I've always used my wrists for both tapping and aiming and I really don't recommend it. I got Carpal Tunnel syndrome from it ;_; Try keeping wrist movement to a minimum
RaneFire

Jole wrote:

I've always used my wrists for both tapping and aiming and I really don't recommend it. I got Carpal Tunnel syndrome from it ;_; Try keeping wrist movement to a minimum
The carpal tunnel / RSI discussion has been in and around this forum for a while. So far somebody has got RSI for every thing in osu!, from holding a mouse, to clicking a mouse, to holding a tablet pen, to moving a tablet pen, to single-tapping and streaming... so it is highly specific to the individual based on how prone you are to this type of injury, and where, and you should above all pay attention to yourself if any pain develops. Still it's quite rare, but the most common one seems to be from pushing oneself practicing streams, inflaming the tendons across your hand/fingers.
Vuelo Eluko

RaneFire wrote:

the most common one seems to be from pushing oneself practicing streams, inflaming the tendons across your hand/fingers.
Definitely. If I stream too much I start to notice a soreness creeping through my fingers, but I immediately stop when it transitions from a dull soreness to sharp jolts of pain on each tap. I think that's the warning sign of when it transitions from muscle strengthening to tendon damaging.
Skriggniichan
Mostly the wrist until big jumps in high bpm or high ar come into play then I start moving with my arm without realizing it. My set up is 1100 dpi, 6 windows, 1.00x osu.
Fahe
I guess it essentially depends on the grip you use (claw, palm or anything you can think of :p) and the dpi used.

As for myself I use only wrist movement (palm grip), I only noticed an increasing arm tension on long spinners (I suck extremely bad at them), but my dpi is considered as relatively high (1100x1400 for a 1440x900 screen resolution.
Jole

RaneFire wrote:

Jole wrote:

The carpal tunnel / RSI discussion has been in and around this forum for a while. So far somebody has got RSI for every thing in osu!, from holding a mouse, to clicking a mouse, to holding a tablet pen, to moving a tablet pen, to single-tapping and streaming... so it is highly specific to the individual based on how prone you are to this type of injury, and where, and you should above all pay attention to yourself if any pain develops. Still it's quite rare, but the most common one seems to be from pushing oneself practicing streams, inflaming the tendons across your hand/fingers.
Surprisingly I didn't get it from singletapping 160bpm streams moving my wrist up and down or pushing my hand to the limits with 220bpm stream songs for sevral hours. I got it after I started playing taiko and somehow started tapping much harder without realizing it, so after playing that for a while along with mania, it felt as if my right hand had been anesthetized
PlasticSmoothie
Even doctors aren't sure why, how and when someone gets CTS and there are a crapton of theories getting thrown around, only thing they all agree on is that getting it or not seems highly dependent on the person.

What gives one person CTS is fine for someone else, the important part is just to take care and stop playing if you notice any sort of pain or similar.