forum

Custom diff names

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kodora
Posting according to p/2725328

Having custom diff names (especially at hardest diffs, like "0108", "Rin", "Skystar", "KIRBY mix", "DaRRi MIx" etc) already become good tradition in mapping. Is there are any valid reason to disallow that?

Just my opinion: as long as mapper explained difficulty level in creator's words it's fine. That's how mappers usually do that.

Well, discuss.
Kinomi
I‘m afraid that mapping become more and more inflexible
Makar

Kodora wrote:

Is there are any valid reason to disallow that?
Yes. A difficulty name is meant to identify the difficulty level, not the mapper name. Mapper1's Hard is okay, but Mapper1 is not. Telling others to look at star rating or max score is not a valid point, because you can not see this in multiplayer lobby. Do not expect others to assume the difficulty level even though it might be some "tradition" - new players will not know these "traditions"

Kodora wrote:

Just my opinion: as long as mapper explained difficulty level in creator's words it's fine. That's how mappers usually do that.
Don't use previous maps or situations to justify something being okay. I think you got this reverse: It is polite to at least include the -creator- in the description. Why prioritize mapper instead of difficulty level for a difficulty name?

I just want to say for the sake of this thread: do not say something is okay or bad unless you have a valid reason that doesn't conflict with valid reasons to (not) include it. In other words: no bashing
Stefan

Tsukuyomi wrote:

This is absolutely not involved with anything in the fact "Inflexibility on mapping".

At first: Why has the Diff Name(s) to be changed? I agree with them if they are Insane-related like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/118869 That's pretty well used and even have a short description which Insane is easier/harder.

The Name Spread looks immense inconsistent due the transition from Normal > Hard.

Reasonable unrank.
kisata

Makar wrote:

Kodora wrote:

Is there are any valid reason to disallow that?
Telling others to look at star rating or max score is not a valid point, because you can not see this in multiplayer lobby.
Why not fix this (and the star rating in general), instead of once again taking away mapping freedom?
Stefan

apaffy wrote:

Why not fix this (and the star rating in general), instead of once again taking away mapper's freedom?
Being stubborn and doing unnecessary things for previous named points is not an excuse. Also, people: From where the hell are you using the slogan "don't take mapper's freedom"? Can you please stop with it?
Topic Starter
Kodora

Makar wrote:

Yes. A difficulty name is meant to identify the difficulty level, not the mapper name. Mapper1's Hard is okay, but Mapper1 is not. Telling others to look at star rating or max score is not a valid point, because you can not see this in multiplayer lobby. Do not expect others to assume the difficulty level even though it might be some "tradition" - new players will not know these "traditions"
You always can open site to look at Creator's Words.
We was have these tradition for years and already have huge amount of ranked maps with diff names like that (and it's not something really hurtful - also, new players will knew that "tradition" just by looking at already ranked maps -most of them are most played and well-known).

Makar wrote:

Don't use previous maps or situations to justify something being okay. I think you got this reverse: It is polite to at least include the -creator- in the description. Why prioritize mapper instead of difficulty level for a difficulty name?
Because mapper is main person who contributed to mapset. Having his name as difficulty name help identify his style and just looks cool (0108 diffs for example).

I edited first post by the way.
peppy
<username>'s <difficulty> is fine.
Removing difficulty is for what reason? To prove that you are so well known for creating n difficulties that you want to prove this by not including the actual difficulty name? I can think of no other reason.
Kinomi

Stefan wrote:

Tsukuyomi wrote:

This is absolutely not involved with anything in the fact "Inflexibility on mapping".

At first: Why has the Diff Name(s) to be changed? I agree with them if they are Insane-related like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/118869 That's pretty well used and even have a short description which Insane is easier/harder.

The Name Spread looks immense inconsistent due the transition from Normal > Hard.

Reasonable unrank.
yeah Insane-related is enough

but you can see Insane-related is not accepted

lacking of the diff name has a gradual affection,tell mapper your diff is a diff which is standardized,standardized,and standardized
Topic Starter
Kodora

Stefan wrote:

There are two hard diffs, feel free to choose easier one.

peppy wrote:

<username>'s <difficulty> is fine.
Removing difficulty is for what reason? To prove that you are so well known for creating n difficulties that you want to prove this by not including the actual difficulty name? I can think of no other reason.
Then why we even have custom diff names feature? It looks cool for most of mappers, and lots of players likes it.
Makar

apaffy wrote:

Makar wrote:

Telling others to look at star rating or max score is not a valid point, because you can not see this in multiplayer lobby.
Why not fix this (and the star rating in general), instead of once again taking away mapping freedom?
You are in the wrong forum. 4
Besides, it's annoying to have to look at other sources to find this out. See what I said before.
Mappers are free to do whatever they want. Nothing is stopping you from doing this anyway besides a scoreboard on your map.

Kodora wrote:

Makar wrote:

You always can open site to look at Creator's Words.
We was have these tradition for years and already have huge amount of ranked maps with diff names like that (and it's not something really hurtful - also, new players will knew that "tradition" just by looking at already ranked maps -most of them are most played and well-known).
This is terribly annoying.

Kodora wrote:

Makar wrote:

Because mapper is main person who contributed to mapset. Having his name as difficulty name help identify his style and just looks cool (0108 diffs for example).
His name is in the "Creator" box. The guest difficulty mappers are in the description. The name of the mapper is in no way helpful and is only for epeen.
Stefan

Tsukuyomi wrote:

yeah Insane-related is enough

but you can see Insane-related is not accepted

lacking of the diff name has a gradual affection,tell mapper your diff is a diff which is standardized,standardized,and standardized
You completely ignored my post's point.

Kodora wrote:

Stefan wrote:

There are two hard diffs, feel free to choose easier one.
And how is this possible to read that out without any hints?

I even didn't know that there are two Hard Diffs (I thought there are two Insanes).
Topic Starter
Kodora

Makar wrote:

This is terribly annoying.
So, only multiplayer lobby is real problem? Just wondering, how many people count it that problematic to completely disallowing having custom diff names in mapset?

Stefan wrote:

And how is this possible to read that out without any hints?
Can be easily fixed by posting in creator's words. Sadly it was ranked without it, but it can be easily changed without unranking.

if it's that problem then any BAT can edit creator's words to fix that.
Makar
Why don't you answer why using <username>'s <level> is a bad thing? We've said plenty of reasons to use this method already.

Why is "Rin" better than "Rin's Insane" or "Skystar" is better than "Skystar's Extra" or whatever?
Natsu
Just a quick question then I should rename all the diffs in my x'mas map too https://osu.ppy.sh/s/129548 o.O?
Broccoly
k a few points I want to make

Makar wrote:

Broccoly wrote:

So this goes for all difficulties or just Hard and below?
All.

The purpose of a difficulty name is to identify the difficulty level, not the creator.
Well if the difficulties under Insane are all labeled as 'Mapper's Which Difficulty', it is pretty obvious that the remaining difficulties are insane or higher (under the assumption that the rule has changed so that we have to name easier difficulties that way) ex: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/51972 or https://osu.ppy.sh/s/55537 and many more
I think it's reasonable to allow freedom in diff names at least for insane or higher.

Also, how about the diff names like these: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/111531 ?
Since the star rating identifies the difficulty level in this case, can they use names like those?
Need some clarification here.
Makar

Natsu wrote:

Just a quick question then I should rename all the diffs in my x'mas map too https://osu.ppy.sh/s/129548 o.O?
Yes
Topic Starter
Kodora

Makar wrote:

Why don't you answer why using <username>'s <level> is a bad thing? We've said plenty of reasons to use this method already.
That's not a bad thing. But having completely unique diff name looks more cool, and makes map looks different from others (i can give tons of examples if it needs).

That's creativity point, and disallowing that is rather bad change than good.
GoldenWolf
What about using words like "woof" as diffname? Is it invalid too?

Makar wrote:

coolness is invalid
"no fun allowed"
Topic Starter
Kodora

Makar wrote:

Tradition and coolness is invalid.
Why? That's something what only makes this game more cool and popular.
Makar
You guys misunderstood me when I said that, but okay.
Stefan

GoldenWolf wrote:

What about using words like "woof" as diffname? Is it invalid too?
Making something like Easy > Normal > Hard > woof > WOOF WOOF would be bad and non-logical. Good idiotic example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/33084 (Sad how I always can use my maps as terrible examples. orz)

Kodora wrote:

That's creativity point, and disallowing that is rather bad change than good.
By all respect putting the own user name as Difficulty name is not creative. 0108 isn't too but things like Carnival0108 is.
GoldenWolf

Stefan wrote:

Making something like Easy > Normal > Hard > woof > WOOF WOOF would be bad and non-logical. Good idiotic example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/33084 (Sad how I always can use my maps as terrible examples. orz)
I find it nice and cool, this makes sense and I can immediately guess which diff is the hardest/easiest, I don't see why something like that should be changed.

edit: Does everything has to be changed to standards Easy/Normal/Hard/Insane/Lunatic/Extra... Well, in fact, what are the standards even? What kind of name would you allow as a "valid" diffname?
Kinomi
hue,actually this change can change nothing,when people see A's Insane and B's Insane in a map he still can't say which is more diffcult
Stefan

GoldenWolf wrote:

I find it nice and cool, this makes sense and I can immediately guess which diff is the hardest/easiest, I don't see why something like that should be changed.
And now put a random mapper (let's take Andrea, hi andrea) and the map is about a Love Story. In short: that the custom Difficulty names are completely unrelated from the Artist nor source/song. Can you still explain me the sense?
Topic Starter
Kodora

Stefan wrote:

By all respect putting the own user name as Difficulty name is not creative. 0108 isn't too but things like Carnival0108 is.
Seems like this not allowed anymore either.
Nyquill

apaffy wrote:

Makar wrote:

Why not fix this (and the star rating in general)

Tsukuyomi wrote:

hue,actually this change can change nothing,when people see A's Insane and B's Insane in a map he still can't say which is more diffcult
These are actually other problems we need to look into.

At any rate, diffuculty names go by stigma. Another diffuculties are known to be harder than hyper because it is stigmatized as harder.

However, creator names aren't necessarily stigmatized, unless you are prepared to tag your name with every beyond extra diff in every set.

Right now judging spread is diffucult, but we really don't need to add to that diffuculty.

Along with this rule change, I suggest stronger enforcement of spread -> diff name relation.

Though, I think exceptions should be allowed for certain cases because a deviation within a diff spread that has otherwise consistent diffuculty names are often stigmatized as the hardest diffuculty. Perhaps with the new rule, we can look to accomadate this?
Broccoly

Nyquill wrote:

Though, I think exceptions should be allowed for certain cases because a deviation within a diff spread that has otherwise consistent diffuculty names are often stigmatized as the hardest diffuculty.
Sounds cool.
finally some answers to my question
show more