forum

Mechanical vs rubber dome keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tripp
Ive been playing around with my keyboard lately and its just a cheap logitech k120 anyways, Ive been trying to improve my streams and overall clicking speed but Ive realised that a lot of the times the keys wont register and I'll miss (idk maybe its just my keyboard) and it makes me mad because I have to hit my keys quite hard for them to to register... Is there any reason to buy a Mechanical keyboard for osu because everyone has them for all ive seen, I havent seen many people with random cheap keyboards around. is there an advantage to using a mechanical keyboard with red switches for example?

This question has probably been asked a lot already but Ive just been wondering.
AmaiHachimitsu
This question has probably been asked a lot already
And that is the very reason as to not ask it again and just browse the forums. I think there're HUNDREDS of posts saying the pros of mechanical keyboard.
jesse1412
t/99612

Check the "threads" tab.

Please not another one of these. IMO mech kbs are the best investment for osu!

I think a mech kb does more than a tablet does for osu!
Topic Starter
Tripp
alright thanks, Im a newb to the forums :P
Rinku
You can get sub 1k rank with a dome keyboard but with a mech you will see instant stamina boost and probably a speed boost because of the easy to press keys. When I bought mine I instantly noticed a difference. You don't need one but it can sure help.
Rewben2
Beatrice (or Silvia?? I don't know, some high ranked mouse player) used a non-mechanical keyboard while playing at a high ranked level. But pretty much every high ranked player uses a mechanical keyboard, different key switches as well. Cookiezi used blues then reds (he said reds were better), Wubwoofwolf uses blues, Beatrice uses browns. But after using a mechanical keyboard myself for a few months, I don't see myself going back to membrane.
Kaeru
I just got a Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate with brown switches and so far it's pretty much the best thing I've ever purchased. It's really, really worth the investment. I've only used it for a day so far and my wpm has already increased by at least 10 points (I can type around 130 wpm now).

I can't really hit notes faster with this keyboard (yet) but I've consistently been getting higher accuracy and the amount of finger strength it takes to stream is greatly reduced. I can last much longer streaming with this keyboard than I could with my rubber dome.
nrl

-Rinku- wrote:

You can get sub 1k rank with a dome keyboard but with a mech you will see instant stamina boost and probably a speed boost because of the easy to press keys. When I bought mine I instantly noticed a difference. You don't need one but it can sure help.
Disagree. I can definitely go faster and longer on a dome keyboard than on my blacks, it just feels terrible and the keys don't last more than a week before they start breaking down.
Rinku

NarrillNezzurh wrote:

-Rinku- wrote:

Disagree. I can definitely go faster and longer on a dome keyboard than on my blacks, it just feels terrible and the keys don't last more than a week before they start breaking down.
What about reds? I was talking about me using reds so idk how blacks feel personally.
nrl
I've never used reds, so I don't know for sure. They're much lighter than blacks, but the travel distance is still much longer than a dome keyboard. Doesn't really matter unless you bottom out and release your keys fully, though.
Nysis
Mech Keyboards feel better to play with.
Feelz better = Play better.
Roricon
I also use blacks. For me its much easier to do fast single taps on my mech keyboard. But my streams are still as bad as they were before. And blacks just require about 20% more force to activate then reds, so I think it's just about preference.
Topic Starter
Tripp
Just bought a cm storm quickfire TK with mx reds :D
Pizzicato
IBM rubber domes are neat
other than those, i dont know any good rubber domes that match the feel of mech keyboards
Choclodous
I have mechanical blue keys and people can hear me at night when I have my door closed.

PS: I also have quickfire TK :)